• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

DominoKid

Ok...ok...I got two that Im sure were worse:

002583036.jpg

51XE3DCGFRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

i liked Killa Season, but even i cant defend Hot Boys. that shit got Silkk Tha Shocker AND Gary Busey. cmon son.

FreeMufasa

Am i the only person who finds a lot of Rap and RnB unlistenable because it seems that they all seem to be going out of their way to remind me how much richer they are than me? I mean this shit has been going on since rapper's delight but i swear, i remember songs as a kid like I wish, Gangsta's paradise, c u when you get there, fantastic voyage, Fugees, Eminem and other stuff i listened to as a kid not going out of their way to remind me how much money they make. Shit is beyond annoying now. The only popular rappers i can think of that don't make it a point of duty to remind me how much money they make are LMFAO. Urhhh.

I find that specific type of hip hop (well not just hip hop, all genres that do it) unlistenable now. I didn't really mind it before but there's so many new dudes doing it, it's just become boring. They all say the same thing so I just don't listen to it. That and songs talking about going to the club. That's more with female singers though.

With songs like Sexy and I know, it'll only be a matter of time till LMFAO start making songs like that. Then again, maybe not since i'm assuming they've always been rich?

Measley

Am i the only person who finds a lot of Rap and RnB unlistenable because it seems that they all seem to be going out of their way to remind me how much richer they are than me? I mean this shit has been going on since rapper's delight but i swear, i remember songs as a kid like I wish, Gangsta's paradise, c u when you get there, fantastic voyage, Fugees, Eminem and other stuff i listened to as a kid not going out of their way to remind me how much money they make. Shit is beyond annoying now. The only popular rappers i can think of that don't make it a point of duty to remind me how much money they make are LMFAO. Urhhh.

That doesn't bother me as much as the fake gangster crap that a lot of rappers push.

Can I just reside in this thread and never pop my head back out? Seriously some of the shit said on gaf about blacks makes me want to go MWS natural on motherfuckers

Not even just that thread, but yes. "Worldstar" threads that get posted like no other races do dumb shit, Real pic gaf where I watched most of the black posters be virtually ignored once identified they were black. people talking about how they don't like black "features" as if we all look the same every time an attraction, or stealth hot women thread pops up.

Sometimes i just get my fill of OT gaf I have to fall back and remind myself while gaf is a cool place to visit, there's still a lot of ignorant, bigoted people who post here.

Slayven

Not even just that thread, but yes. "Worldstar" threads that get posted like no other races do dumb shit, Real pic gaf where I watched most of the black posters be virtually ignored once identified they were black. people talking about how they don't like black "features" as if we all look the same every time an attraction, or stealth hot women thread pops up.

Sometimes i just get my fill of OT gaf I have to fall back and remind myself while gaf is a cool place to visit, there's still a lot of ignorant, bigoted people who post here.

I feel you man, the amount of down right ignorant shit post can be suffocating sometimes. And the shit said to defend it is even worse.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Naw. The real pic thread USED to be about seeing who is who - NOW its about who can chase the GAF e-pussy the best. BlackGAF was pretty deep in there at first, but myself and many others just dropped out of it once it stopped being fun/community stuff and turned into some shitty myspace knock-off where girls get to attention whore it up knowing that Opiate is on a killing spree.

Naw. The real pic thread USED to be about seeing who is who - NOW its about who can chase the GAF e-pussy the best. BlackGAF was pretty deep in there at first, but myself and many others just dropped out of it once it stopped being fun/community stuff and turned into some shitty myspace knock-off where girls get to attention whore it up knowing that Opiate is on a killing spree.

I stopped posting in there shortly after people started coming up with "lists" and it stopped being about general discussion. Even then I seen a lot of blacks and darker skin gaffers talking amongst themselves, because others stayed in their own bubble.

Thirsty gaf took that shit over though, and with all the attention whoring from the women, Himuro is probably rolling in his gaf grave (I see some of his perspective now though I thought he took it a bit far).

I gotta subscribe to this thread and best-gaf and post more often.

FreeMufasa

Just saw the thread. I usually avoid race threads in here but tbh, those threads aren't even that bad. There's a warning in the OP, Mods heavily check them and racist posters usually just avoid them. The worst ones are like you said, when someone posts a video of a black person doing something with no hint of race in the OP or a crime article with a black criminal. Those threads always go to the shitter.

I remember the most gobsmacked I ever was, was a thread where a Japanese dude (author) stated Black women were the ugliest of all women in his article. Fine whatever. A couple of gaffers posted some hot black women pics and people were saying stuff like "Well, she's not even black, she doesn't count". That's right, people were actually telling other people they weren't black. And when asked on what 'looking black' was, people were pointing to a western African village woman.

I think i'll make a thread on this sometime but people (even Black people) don't know how diverse we are. For example, there are people that look like this in West Africa

GUPrU.jpg

And women like this in East

BEYtq.jpg

(btw I once had a gaffer tell me he couldn't tell the difference between these 2 women).

And then you add on top all of the mixed people from the African Dispora. There really isn't a 'black' feature because we already have most of them.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I have actively avoided that thread for so many obvious reasons. You may be attracted to certain phenotypic characteristics, but to say you don't find a specific 'race'* of women attractive is weird to me. Whatever, to each his own.

To say that undermines the diversity of characteristics that can be found in people of African diaspora. If you don't find Stacey Dash or Rashida Jones (part black), attractive, then I can't help you. heh.

*Threads like those eventually highlight the many fallacies of the 'social construct' of race.

You really think it was like that? It's possible, but there may be other reasons.

I think other people were kinda ignored, too, or picked "weird" times of day to post and then got lost in the shuffle. I do know that there are a few folks in there that seem to really make an effort to make newcomers feel welcome.

FWIW, if you felt ignored by me, it had nothing to do with race, I probably just missed your posts.

I mean, come on, SOMBFAB. :p

I certainly didn't notice anything like that either. Not to mention that it's kind of hypocritical to criticize others of being in a "bubble" given the title and nature of this very thread.

Slayven

Just saw the thread. I usually avoid race threads in here but tbh, those threads aren't even that bad. There's a warning in the OP, Mods heavily check them and racist posters usually just avoid them. The worst ones are like you said, when someone posts a video of a black person doing something with no hint of race in the OP or a crime article with a black criminal. Those threads always go to the shitter.

I remember the most gobsmacked I ever was, was a thread where a Japanese dude (author) stated Black women were the ugliest of all women in his article. Fine whatever. A couple of gaffers posted some hot black women pics and people were saying stuff like "Well, she's not even black, she doesn't count". That's right, people were actually telling other people they weren't black. And when asked on what 'looking black' was, people were pointing to a western African village woman.

I think i'll make a thread on this sometime but people (even Black people) don't know how diverse we are. For example, there are people that look like this in West Africa

GUPrU.jpg

And women like this in East

BEYtq.jpg

(btw I once had a gaffer tell me he couldn't tell the difference between these 2 women).

And then you add on top all of the mixed people from the African Dispora. There really isn't a 'black' feature because we already have most of them.
I was shocked at the OP of the ebonics thread a few months back. That was just nasty and uncalled for.

DY_nasty

I'm still in touch with Himuro. Great guy.

But yeah... you see a lot of the shit that sent him over the edge still. Opiate came out and basically gave Girl-GAF his sword of allegiance. From slicing down anything he's seen as slightly misogynistic and not offering explanation (TheFrankman's case) to putting up a GIRLS ONLY sign up in the main Girl-GAF thread. Its funny because one of the thirstyfolk supported it, siting the Islam thread as 'being the same thing! :D' but in reality we all know that isn't true. We all remember the bullshit that happened when we had a community thread and their damn sure wasn't a crusader for us, the much tenured hispanic thread, or the original GayGAF/TransGAF. Its complete hypocrisy.

Just keep your heads down regarding that stuff in the future and if you're going to get banned, at least make it worth it.

And the real pic thread.... it really was fun at once. Now you don't fit in unless you're thirstyfolk. And even then, you have to be a certain degree of shameless to hop in at times. Don't think its even a racial thing as it is. Just a sad mob of forever alone.

DY_nasty

what are thirstyfolks? I was assuming it was about drunkgaf.

thirstyfolk is just some slang around here... just a nerded out way of saying "one who is fiending for anything from the opposite sex". A mob of dudes who are thirsty. Thirstyfolk.

Seeing one member with a female pic post 3 words in response to another member with a female pic and get quoted 30+ times is.... exactly what it looks like.

G-Fex

I'm still in touch with Himuro. Great guy.

But yeah... you see a lot of the shit that sent him over the edge still. Opiate came out and basically gave Girl-GAF his sword of allegiance. From slicing down anything he's seen as slightly misogynistic and not offering explanation (TheFrankman's case) to putting up a GIRLS ONLY sign up in the main Girl-GAF thread. Its funny because one of the thirstyfolk supported it, siting the Islam thread as 'being the same thing! :D' but in reality we all know that isn't true. We all remember the bullshit that happened when we had a community thread and their damn sure wasn't a crusader for us, the much tenured hispanic thread, or the original GayGAF/TransGAF. Its complete hypocrisy.

Just keep your heads down regarding that stuff in the future and if you're going to get banned, at least make it worth it.

And the real pic thread.... it really was fun at once. Now you don't fit in unless you're thirstyfolk. And even then, you have to be a certain degree of shameless to hop in at times. Don't think its even a racial thing as it is. Just a sad mob of forever alone.

holy shit DY dropping truth bombs all over this bitch. *shakes hands* You're completely right bro and you just nailed pretty much the reasons I fucking hate the real picture threads, be it that stupid ass January one or the post your picture thread. Way too much attention whoring. Yeah and I can't believe what he did in girl-gaf thread.

It just prolongs my underlying feelings the entire time about someone and when it turns out you're right about him/her it's nice to not feel wrong once in a while, especially in my case.

Slayven

thirstyfolk is just some slang around here... just a nerded out way of saying "one who is fiending for anything from the opposite sex". A mob of dudes who are thirsty. Thirstyfolk.

Seeing one member with a female pic post 3 words in response to another member with a female pic and get quoted 30+ times is.... exactly what it looks like.

I see, like hearing a female voice on XBL.

Welcome to the Internet. Such a thing is definitely common on other boards and even on facebook.

I certainly didn't notice anything like that either. Not to mention that it's kind of hypocritical to criticize others of being in a "bubble" given the title and nature of this very thread.

Didn't like what I said in the other thread, huh?

This is a culture thread pertaining to issues and interests that affect blacks. This is known upon entering the thread. Everyone is welcomed, and encouraged to participate, and I haven't seen any instance in which it has been indicated that they aren't unless intentionally trolling like Shanadeus.

I think that makes a difference vs threads that have nothing to do with race, yet race seem to have a heavy factor in how one is interacted with.

@ Dy you spoke nothing but truth man *daps*

DY_nasty

Welcome to the Internet. Such a thing is definitely common on other boards and even on facebook.
I'm not at all shocked by it. Just shocked that others are at times.
I see, like hearing a female voice on XBL.

Yeah. And I really do support the idea whole idea of giving female gamers, and posters here, that extra backing/support/incentive or whatever to encourage their participation. However, I don't agree with the way that some are going about that encouragement. A female shouldn't have to deal with posting then having the next 10 responses be "pics" or "why aren't you in the kitchen". No one will disagree with that. If they do, by all means, shadow realm that ass. But I think many will be able to site specific instances where the only word that describes the action taken is overkill.

What about the bullshit thread about "two mormons at my door! What do i do!? :O"? Thats cool now? Funny? Because Mormons get shit on all the time here and I don't see anyone supporting them.

Didn't like what I said in the other thread, huh?

This is a culture thread pertaining to issues and interests that affect blacks. This is known upon entering the thread. Everyone is welcomed, and encouraged to participate, and I haven't seen any instance in which it has been indicated that they aren't unless intentionally trolling like Shanadeus.

I think that makes a difference vs threads that have nothing to do with race, yet race seem to have a heavy factor in how one is interacted with.

@ Dy you spoke nothing but truth man *daps*

And everyone is welcome in the real pic January thread as well. I think you're perceiving a slight that simply isn't there. If anything, that thread is a mecca of attention whoring, not one of prejudice.

abuC

Yeah. And I really do support the idea whole idea of giving female gamers, and posters here, that extra backing/support/incentive or whatever to encourage their participation. However, I don't agree with the way that some are going about that encouragement. A female shouldn't have to deal with posting then having the next 10 responses be "pics" or "why aren't you in the kitchen". No one will disagree with that. If they do, by all means, shadow realm that ass. But I think many will be able to site specific instances where the only word that describes the action taken is overkill.

What about the bullshit thread about "two mormons at my door! What do i do!? :O"? Thats cool now? Funny? Because Mormons get shit on all the time here and I don't see anyone supporting them.

This is a BJ Mullens like explosion of prolific posting.

thirsty-gaf lol. thats awesome

im surprised that thread has become as long as it has. i thought the rules were that threads cant become like chatrooms? isnt that what the RP thread has become really?

No one is going to jump to the defense of religion on this site. This site is militantly anti-religion and almost nothing will be uttered that is positive about any religion. I know Jeff DSA tries to fight the good fight against Mormonism, but he is wasting his time.

DY_nasty

marshmellow declaring war on a donate fuckin lol
thirsty-gaf lol. thats awesome

im surprised that thread has become as long as it has. i thought the rules were that threads cant become like chatrooms? isnt that what the RP thread has become really?

mods participating in it too. it was a nice community thread at one point. it really was, you wouldn't be able to tell now though.

Imm0rt4l

I stopped posting in there shortly after people started coming up with "lists" and it stopped being about general discussion. Even then I seen a lot of blacks and darker skin gaffers talking amongst themselves, because others stayed in their own bubble.

Thirsty gaf took that shit over though, and with all the attention whoring from the women, Himuro is probably rolling in his gaf grave (I see some of his perspective now though I thought he took it a bit far).

I gotta subscribe to this thread and best-gaf and post more often.

Yea he had a point, he illustrated it and took it too far most definitely

*pours out a little liquor

Not sure that this is fair seeing as it is a community thread, street fighter thread is a bubble, gaygaf thread is a bubble, my little pony thread is a bubble. I don't frequent the other thread. I don't partake in the real pic thread, but the way it's described I can understand exactly what he's talking about.

Thirsty-GAF needs to go outside and actually try to get a chick instead of crying on a forum, white knighting, and defining themselves by their hobbies. If gaming means that much to you guess what, chicks aren't gonna pay attention.

anyway, Satchwar. sup gurl

DY_nasty

Satchwar is a girl?!

*repeat 30 times then ask a question about hobbies then follow with "I, too, am interested in said hobbies"*

mods participating in it too. it was a nice community thread at one point. it really was, you wouldn't be able to tell now though.

figures. just skimmed the last two pages and the conversation is everything from fighting games to vita to cartoons to sports. then again, its silly to expect consistency or get worked up over a private forum where the people in charge can really do whatever they want

I hear you, there are a few double standards here and it's been apparent for a while now.

And yeah, the thirst levels in the real pic thread is pretty high, not saying everyone there is thirsty though, but quite a few of them are.

Top Bottom