• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Imm0rt4l

Common dissing Drake over Serena Williams is exactly like a marshmallow declaring war on a donut, ugh

Is it really just over Serena? I thought drake was hanging with Serena as a slight to common because common was taking shots at what is essentially drakes livelihood(rapping and singing). I think common called the type of music 'sweet' as opposed to raw, basically undermining drakes rapping ability/sexuality. If Com is just sore at the whole Serena thing then, that is weak, but I assumed it's a bit more.

Satchwar is a girl?!

*repeat 30 times then ask a question about hobbies then follow with "I, too, am interested in said hobbies"*

the ghost of himuro is gonna snatch that cape off ya back.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I've wanted someone to come at Common for a while now but.... anyone but Drake smh

Just saw the thread. I usually avoid race threads in here but tbh, those threads aren't even that bad. There's a warning in the OP, Mods heavily check them and racist posters usually just avoid them. The worst ones are like you said, when someone posts a video of a black person doing something with no hint of race in the OP or a crime article with a black criminal. Those threads always go to the shitter.

I remember the most gobsmacked I ever was, was a thread where a Japanese dude (author) stated Black women were the ugliest of all women in his article. Fine whatever. A couple of gaffers posted some hot black women pics and people were saying stuff like "Well, she's not even black, she doesn't count". That's right, people were actually telling other people they weren't black. And when asked on what 'looking black' was, people were pointing to a western African village woman.

I think i'll make a thread on this sometime but people (even Black people) don't know how diverse we are. For example, there are people that look like this in West Africa

GUPrU.jpg

And women like this in East

BEYtq.jpg

(btw I once had a gaffer tell me he couldn't tell the difference between these 2 women).

And then you add on top all of the mixed people from the African Dispora. There really isn't a 'black' feature because we already have most of them.

This isn't limited to GAF, its like this in the offline world as well. "Black" has come to the point where it doesn't have anything to do with black skin colour but rather specific narrow stereotypes that are then generalised. Internet anonymity just enables these things to be said out-loud.

Satchwar is a girl?!

wat

I mean that in the best way possible. Most of the 20-year old black chicks I know are dumb as hell. I swear, half the girls from my graduating class of 09 are either married(lol), pregnant/have kids(lolol), or still working at Tokyo and Build-a-Bear Workshop and not going to school.

Slayven

No one is going to jump to the defense of religion on this site. This site is militantly anti-religion and almost nothing will be uttered that is positive about any religion. I know Jeff DSA tries to fight the good fight against Mormonism, but he is wasting his time.

Is there something pass militant? Cause that where some on gaf lay. It's so bad that the expression "Thank God" is met with the saltiness of a thousand oceans.

Lebron

ThirstyGAF is the best shit ever, hahaha

Also, yes, DY with the ether truth.

@Satch
U0pCg.gif

I like long walks through the ghetto and people telling me how awesome I am. Come at me.

DY_nasty

Also, shout out to Count Dookkake and SmokeyDave for keeping it consistently real.

FreeMufasa

This isn't limited to GAF, its like this in the offline world as well. "Black" has come to the point where it doesn't have anything to do with black skin colour but rather specific narrow stereotypes that are then generalised. Internet anonymity just enables these things to be said out-loud.

Yep, that's true. My sister always tells me about people commenting on her hair. When she tells them it's naturally straight, they either say it's impossible or she's not Black.

Damn. I sometimes wish I could get some gaffers laid. Stuff i've heard hear is scary.

Also, shout out to Count Dookkake and SmokeyDave for keeping it consistently real.

What I like about these dudes is they're always willing to listen and learn about things. Quite a few people here shut themselves off and don't make the effort.

G-Fex

Yep, that's true. My sister always tells me about people commenting on her hair. When she tells them it's naturally straight, they either say it's impossible or she's not Black.

Damn. I sometimes wish I could get some gaffers laid. Stuff i've heard hear is scary.

What I like about these dudes is they're always willing to listen and learn about things. Quite a few people here shut themselves off and don't make the effort.

hey that's me! heh

DY_nasty

What's thirsty-gaf? Guys looking for girls here?
What makes Thirsty-GAF Thirsty-GAF is the complete lack of shame and self respect.

You want to meet someone on GAF? Not gonna hate. Its happened before numerous times and it will happen again. I highly fucking doubt that those people met their waifus by quoting them 3 times per page, agreeing with everything they've ever said, and defending their honor as if a Ganondorf himself was slandering their name.

That shit is pathetic.

Slayven

What makes Thirsty-GAF Thirsty-GAF is the complete lack of shame and self respect.

You want to meet someone on GAF? Not gonna hate. Its happened before numerous times and it will happen again. I highly fucking doubt that those people met their waifus by quoting them 3 times per page, agreeing with everything they've ever said, and defending their honor as if a Ganondorf himself was slandering their name.

That shit is pathetic.

Is there no romance in your soul?

Imm0rt4l

That shit is pathetic.

I was looking forward to taking part of real pic january, but then I saw what the thread had devolved into and said fuck it.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I was looking forward to taking part of real pic january, but then I saw what the thread had devolved into and said fuck it.

Seriously, I was set to actually use my webcam for once in a decade, but when it evolved to "Approval Seeking: The Thread", I was done with it.

Imm0rt4l

I mean, I've seen it before. I always just thought of it as White Knighting. It is annoyingly pathetic, I can tell you that.

nah, that's being a captain save a h**. Thirsty is just being overly eager/desperate to get some. They can go hand in hand however.

DY_nasty

To be fair, though, there is a fine line between "white knighting" and genuinely sticking up for someone who is being treated unfairly. To make things more complicated, one is capable of doing both at the same time. You kinda have to take post history into account, both of the alleged "knight" and the would-be identifier. I'd wager that some of you have stood up for someone before, only to have it dismissed as being for racial solidarity reasons as opposed to for fairness. Not to say that the former is inherently out-of-line or anything like that, just drawing a comparison.

I agree. Not every defender is a white knight.

A little late, but as far as black movies go, one I've not seen listed :

gR3qL.jpg

^ One of my all time favorite films, "black" or otherwise. Poster is on the wall.

Not even just that thread, but yes. "Worldstar" threads that get posted like no other races do dumb shit, Real pic gaf where I watched most of the black posters be virtually ignored once identified they were black. people talking about how they don't like black "features" as if we all look the same every time an attraction, or stealth hot women thread pops up.

Sometimes i just get my fill of OT gaf I have to fall back and remind myself while gaf is a cool place to visit, there's still a lot of ignorant, bigoted people who post here.

well, to be fair, people post videos of all sorts of people being stupid... it's just that worldstar has an association with certain folks... i still remember when i was at Sam's Club reading GAF one time and i was checking a Worldstar link and the free AT&T Wifi in Sam's Club had it blocked... lol

as far as the real pic thread goes, i haven't even clicked on it, i just felt it was one of those threads to either avoid or read juist to watch the trainwreck and there are so many better trainwreck threads these days... as far as personal preference, etc goes, as soon as i read the first "pale skin" comment in that women thread i was like "ok, trainwreck is a go!"

Common dissing Drake over Serena Williams is exactly like a marshmallow declaring war on a donut, ugh

but if they're fighting over who gets to be dunked in hot chocolate, so it's a worthy cause.

Top Bottom