• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Yea, season 4 is so good, I need to rewatch the series, but I recall liking 4 and 3 a lot. I liked the introduction of the kids to the series.

My favorite aspect of show is their actors. I have never seen a show have such a large amount of skilled and charismatic actors. I was especially surprised at the kids.

Imm0rt4l

Here's another one:

medicine_for_melancholy-4.jpg

Low budget indie film starring Wyatt Cenac of Daily Show fame.

And if I may shift the topic back to film a bit, has anyone seen this interview with Director Steve Mcqueen on Black/Latino males in lead roles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG4ytB4z-WE

Yea I actually brought that link up in a thread recently. People pointed out that mcqueens movies star whites, they conveniently left out that his next movies star black actors. it should be just black directors putting minorities in these leads. Directors shouldn't need to make 'black' movies to appease blacks, they should be able to make movies that just happen to star black people and other minorities. It does seem like you actively have to ignore a certain group to get the current makeup of Hollywood, it's pretty sad. Asians have it the worst though.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Yea I actually brought that link up in a thread recently. People pointed out that mcqueens movies star whites, they conveniently left out that his next movies star black actors. it should be just black directors putting minorities in these leads. Directors shouldn't need to make 'black' movies to appease blacks, they should be able to make movies that just happen to star black people and other minorities. It does seem like you actively have to ignore a certain group to get the current makeup of Hollywood, it's pretty sad. Asians have it the worst though.

I nearly let out an audible "about damn time" when Han got the girl in Fast Five.

But yeah, it's amazing when a mainstream film has more than two black actors in lead roles, it's considered a 'black' film by default.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
What's the story behind this?

Regarding Diggs, I saw EQUILIBRIUM with a mostly black audience in NYC. For some reason, everyone was against him. I distinctly remember people calling out stuff like "Why you smiling, fool?" and "Fuckin' clown!" whenever he was on-screen.

The craziest part, which was also a good lesson for me about the illusion of blacks as a monolithic group, was when it came down to
the duel between Bale and Diggs. Someone shouted out "Kill dat nigga!" The audience was ecstatic when Bale did the job.
It was mind-blowing to me at the time.

He likes white women too much.

Same with John Legend. :/

Imm0rt4l

I nearly let out an audible "about damn time" when Han got the girl in Fast Five.

But yeah, it's amazing when a mainstream film has more than two black actors in lead roles, it's considered a 'black' film by default.

I also find it sad that people defend the lack of black leads to saying it's a financial risk.

What's the story behind this?

Regarding Diggs, I saw EQUILIBRIUM with a mostly black audience in NYC. For some reason, everyone was against him. I distinctly remember people calling out stuff like "Why you smiling, fool?" and "Fuckin' clown!" whenever he was on-screen.

The craziest part, which was also a good lesson for me about the illusion of blacks as a monolithic group, was when it came down to
the duel between Bale and Diggs. Someone shouted out "Kill dat nigga!" The audience was ecstatic when Bale did the job.
It was mind-blowing to me at the time.

I don't know if much other than Diggs starred in a lot of movies that black women watched, usually with strong black leads like in how stella got her groove back. But Diggs has an affinity for white women, I don't think he dates black women at all, he's married now I believe. I think I heard something about the lady getting death threats. smh.

Slayven

I would love to get a panel of hater black women together and do a slide show of black men with women of different races. Just for my personal pleasure.

Loved that movie, I still haven't seen:

http://caffeine-headache.net/blog3/12044_big.jpg

How does it compare to City of God for those that have seen it?

The SERIES is fantastic. Most of the episodes could function as standalone, but there is still some ongoing things that tie it together (One of the characters has a baby for instance). Some of the of ongoing things are pretty subtle too...for instance, there is this one girl character, and you slowly sort of see how she is "turned" into a gangmember, although nothing is ever made explicit and she's kind of a background character.

The movie that was based off of it pales in comparison to City of God, but most movies do. If you watch the series, there is no point not to watch it. Basically, if you watch one, watch the other, and watch the actual series first.

Overall, I really enjoy it. Actually been meaning to get around to watching it all again.

idk if this happened to anyone else but when I was a kid, whenever I fucked up, it;s like my mom had to tell everyone she happened to be on the phone with what I did, especially her sisters. It annoyed the hell outta me.

Here's another one:

medicine_for_melancholy-4.jpg

Low budget indie film starring Wyatt Cenac of Daily Show fame.

And if I may shift the topic back to film a bit, has anyone seen this interview with Director Steve Mcqueen on Black/Latino males in lead roles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG4ytB4z-WE

Excellent choice, I would like more movies like this. It despicable that if the leads were white, you just know the female in particular would be some indie darling right now.

That McQueen interview sickened me, honestly, every other director on that panel should be ashamed of themselves. "I'm not touching that" "I don't know". Hollywood makes me sick to my stomach.

I would like McQueen to step up and cast a black lead for once, although the fact that he hasn't doesn't mean that his point is any less true, it just means that he personally isn't putting his money where his mouth is.

idk if this happened to anyone else but when I was a kid, whenever I fucked up, it;s like my mom had to tell everyone she happened to be on the phone with what I did, especially her sisters. It annoyed the hell outta me.

Had it happen to me too, although I understood why, at least. What I didn't understand was why she would exaggerate at times. I got 2 F's on my report card one time as a kid, and she said I had gotten straight F's to anyone who would listen.

On the topic of black movies, I'm hoping Red Tails is somewhat good. Glad they decided to make a film of that subject but the trailer made it seem kinda cheesy. I'm still willing to give it a try though.

DY_nasty

On the topic of black movies, I'm hoping Red Tails is somewhat good. Glad they decided to make a film of that subject but the trailer made it seem kinda cheesy. I'm still willing to give it a try though.

I haven't heard a lot of good things about Red Tails... I was hyped too, but now not so much. :(

Loved that movie, I still haven't seen:

http://caffeine-headache.net/blog3/12044_big.jpg

How does it compare to City of God for those that have seen it?

It's been a few years since I've seen it but City of Men is a incredible series. Great character development, both subtle and nuanced.The storylines are gritty and hardhitting and gives you a great sense of the environment the characters are in, but is balanced well with plenty of lighthearted scenarios sprinkled in between( Though there is no long story arch, most of the story lines serve as stand alone episodes with some running themes throughout the show). The acting is fantastic and not once do any of the actors do a poor enough job to break the immersion. Most of all, the show seems to have a wide scope to it; The show is mostly character driven, but many of the themes and storylines serves as a light social commentary on Brazil, class, and race. This is the only show for me that rivals The Wire in terms of quality and I couldn't recommend it enough.

His next movie is "Twelve Years a Slave".....while I ADORE Chiwetel Ejiofor, I'm pretty disappointed that he's going with a "race movie".

I would have liked him to just make a general movie, and cast a black actor. Why no Ejiofor for a movie like Shame? Even Spike did Inside Man and made it less focused on race relations (Although they were there).

As far as Taye Diggs goes...nobody has any right to complain, most importantly because they are in love and that's that. I mean, that practically goes without saying.

If you want to dig deeper (No fucking pun intended), than it needs to be pointed out that a lot (Possibly the majority) of black female entertainers have white husbands/boyfriends. Don't see anyone mad at Saldana, so why does Diggs get gripe?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'm still in touch with Himuro. Great guy.

But yeah... you see a lot of the shit that sent him over the edge still. Opiate came out and basically gave Girl-GAF his sword of allegiance. From slicing down anything he's seen as slightly misogynistic and not offering explanation (TheFrankman's case) to putting up a GIRLS ONLY sign up in the main Girl-GAF thread. Its funny because one of the thirstyfolk supported it, siting the Islam thread as 'being the same thing! :D' but in reality we all know that isn't true. We all remember the bullshit that happened when we had a community thread and their damn sure wasn't a crusader for us, the much tenured hispanic thread, or the original GayGAF/TransGAF. Its complete hypocrisy.

wait, did that actually happen?

God DAMN did I miss some real shit go down the last few pages.
KuGsj.gif

exactly. i go to sleep, and shit kicks off.

the thirsty gaf is hilarious to me because its very true outside the january thread

DY_nasty

He may or may not be referring to the .gif in the OP of the GirlGAF thread, which was there since the beginning.

No, I'm referring to a post where he said he didn't want guys posting in that threat at all. Someone else can dig up the link.

lenovox1

As far as Taye Diggs goes...nobody has any right to complain, most importantly because they are in love and that's that. I mean, that practically goes without saying.

If you want to dig deeper (No fucking pun intended), than it needs to be pointed out that a lot (Possibly the majority) of black female entertainers have white husbands/boyfriends. Don't see anyone mad at Saldana, so why does Diggs get gripe?

For some reason, I couldn't believe that. I couldn't believe that anyone would be salty about Idina and Taye's relationship. Up until I Googled his name, and read the comments in this blog post. They've been together since '96, and met when doing RENT. It's not like he deliberately sought her out. Craziness.

Top Bottom