• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

As far as Taye Diggs goes...nobody has any right to complain, most importantly because they are in love and that's that. I mean, that practically goes without saying.

If you want to dig deeper (No fucking pun intended), than it needs to be pointed out that a lot (Possibly the majority) of black female entertainers have white husbands/boyfriends. Don't see anyone mad at Saldana, so why does Diggs get gripe?

There's a lot of a double standard for that kind of shit, and it's largely garbage. Date/Marry who you want.

i think i would be too irritated to find it amusing. that cuts too deep for me

It is what is, just don't have friends like that.

And I've said this before, but The Wire and The Shield are the two best cop shows, period. One's east coast, the other is West, and it's equal quality. The latter hit home harder for me because I lived in So Cal for a while.

you mean Day Break?

It wasn't bad, it's on Netflix streaming. My wife and I watched one day, and it was pretty entertaining. I've seen worse.

lil smoke

Banned
Wire, great show, but when your from DC, and competitive with Baltimore MD by nature, it's kinda hard to take it serious, being that we all know where the real shit is goin on.

There's a thread about Hollywood whitewashing asian roles but how do you guys feel about how you are portrayed still? Is there any main character, non-historical, you can recall that had depth and wasn't the typical athlete/drug dealer/musician/down and out dude? Other than like old Denzel films such as Devil in a Blue Dress, it's hard for me to think of some.

Teknoman

idk if this happened to anyone else but when I was a kid, whenever I fucked up, it;s like my mom had to tell everyone she happened to be on the phone with what I did, especially her sisters. It annoyed the hell outta me.

Yes man, sucked so much. Everyone doesnt need to know everything that happens at/around home...especially when it involved me getting in trouble/doing something stupid lol.

Slayven

There's a thread about Hollywood whitewashing asian roles but how do you guys feel about how you are portrayed still? Is there any main character, non-historical, you can recall that had depth and wasn't the typical athlete/drug dealer/musician/down and out dude? Other than like old Denzel films such as Devil in a Blue Dress, it's hard for me to think of some.
Man that is a challenge. I am usually just happy when a black character in comics isn't jive talking.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Man that is a challenge. I am usually just happy when a black character in comics isn't jive talking.

Remember those certain asshole robots from Transformers 1 and 2? Shit made me want walk out the theater.

Air

Banned

Lester and Bunk from the Wire. I did also enjoy the character's from Undercovers, despite how cheesy the show was.

Also Doakes from Dexter. He was the second best character in the show. There's more but I can't remember now.

Not Hollywood, but Huey from the boondocks, at least the comic version, is one of the best characters ever. I was sad they didn't do more with him in the show.

SoilBreak

Banned
Remember those certain asshole robots from Transformers 1 and 2? Shit made me want walk out the theater.

''What's crackin', lil' bitches?''

Mbjfj.gif

Slayven

lol, Mr.Terrific a black superhero dared said he was the 3rd smartest man on earth. Some comic fans damn near burned DC offices down that Wed. Cause a man being able to fly because of sunlight is more realistic and easier to believe, then a black man being one of smartest people on earth.

Tyler Perry took over the black cinema due to Hollywood's neglect.

ReiGun

I have to be the only person from Baltimore that hasn't watched The Wire. Lol

Fear not, friend, for I am the same.

I'm actually a little depressed I can't really think of an answer in movies. Ummm.....fuck. :/

Air

Banned
You guys who haven't watched the wire should. I've praised the show before on this board, but I don't want to over hype it because that tends to happen a lot on this board and people get disappointed because they're expectations aren't kept in check.

That said, you should watch it when you can.

The Wire also ties into the Hollywood thread imo. Despite being the most critically acclaimed show on television, it barely received any Emmy/Golden Globe nods and had pretty average ratings. The average (white) audience doesn't want to see predominantly black casts in films or television shows - or any other minority for that matter.

Nor do they want to see a show that deals with such heavy content without drawing clear "good guy v bad guy" lines.

DY_nasty

lol, Mr.Terrific a black superhero dared said he was the 3rd smartest man on earth. Some comic fans damn near burned DC offices down that Wed. Cause a man being able to fly because of sunlight is more realistic and easier to believe, then a black man being one of smartest people on earth.

haha

oh man

The Wire also ties into the Hollywood thread imo. Despite being the most critically acclaimed show on television, it barely received any Emmy/Golden Globe nods and had pretty average ratings. The average (white) audience doesn't want to see predominantly black casts in films or television shows - or any other minority for that matter.

Nor do they want to see a show that deals with such heavy content without drawing clear "good guy v bad guy" lines.

Not to mention it was on for 5 years. Demographics refused to tune in.

Black guys? Drugs? Cant do it, sorry.

''What's crackin', lil' bitches?''

Mbjfj.gif

I cringed.

2nd in command didn't make for it, and he got ripped in half. The funny part? Jazz didn't talk quite like that in the cartoon. Yea, you could tell he was the "black" one, but I remember him talking more normal. Blaster (Soundwave's Counterpart), was a lot closer to that.

Devil in a Blue Dress was pretty damn good.

Some random ones:

Boomerang, had Eddie Murphy as an ad exec.
Cuba Gooding Jr in Boyz, the other film with DeNiro.
Ice Cube was good in 3 Kings.
Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross, The President in Deep Impact
Idris Elba in Luther (TV)
Tyrese was pretty good in Transformers 1, 2, and 3.
Chiwetel Ejiofor was good in Firefly, Red Belt
Jamie Foxx was ok in Miami Vice; would've loved to see him in Kane and Lynch with Bruce Willis (no joke, the script was amazing)

The thing I actually don't like is that there aren't a lot of movies that show the sexual charisma of a black man with all women, in the same vein as say, 007, or even a normal action movie. Case in point would be The Pelican Brief, which Denzel and Julia Roberts both had no issue with, that came from higher up.

lol

Same with T'Challa, who is 8th smartest, runs a nation that can flatten most of the world, and repelled the Skulls without calling for aid.
Same with Dini and Timm choosing John Stewart for JL instead of Hal Jordan, flat out because they didn't want an all-white league and made him one of the toughest, deeper characters in the show.

I love my comics, most cases the fans don't always have the best reasoning, just reaction.

Not to mention it was on for 5 years. Demographics refused to tune in.

Black guys? Drugs? Cant do it, sorry.

Yup. I understand the show is very dense and more procedural than CSI/Law And Order viewers would be used to, but even that doesn't explain the show being overlooked. I certainly see why most people would prefer The Sopranos as it's easier to relate to (for many people). People are fine with drug dealing if said drug dealer is in the mafia and makes it to his son's football games

Baby Milo

you have a link or anything i could read about this?

DominoKid

I hope one day a black person is cast as the lead of a Final Fantasy game, just so I can see the reaction here.

edit: I'm not trying to imply that I think the reaction will be negative, I'm just genuinely curious to see how far we've moved past caring about what race a lead character is.

i dont think it'd be that bad. seems like the general reception of Sazh was easily the best of any FF13 character, but then again may not be a great accomplishment cause the characters and game sucked.

cdyhybrid

I hope one day a black person is cast as the lead of a Final Fantasy game, just so I can see the reaction here.

edit: I'm not trying to imply that I think the reaction will be negative, I'm just genuinely curious to see how far we've moved past caring about what race a lead character is.
There will never be another good Final Fantasy game so no one will care :(

Dabanton

The thing I actually don't like is that there aren't a lot of movies that show the sexual charisma of a black man with all women, in the same vein as say, 007, or even a normal action movie. Case in point would be The Pelican Brief, which Denzel and Julia Roberts both had no issue with, that came from higher up.

Apparently the lack of romance between that couple was all down to Denzel and this ties in with Taye Diggs who seems to anger a lot of black women because he seemingly doesn't care what they think of him.

Denzel didn't want to have a sex scene with Julia because he was afraid at how his black female fanbase would react and by extension his wife i would imagine. Which is quite silly seeing as he is acting in a role.

The ‘Déjà Vu’ actor was cast opposite the Oscar-winning actress in ‘The Pelican Brief’ on Roberts’ own insistence, but he refused to take part in the sex scene in the original script out of loyalty to his female African-American fans.

According to Newsweek journalist Allison Samuels’ new book ‘Off the Record’, Washington said: "Black women are not often seen as objects of desire on film. And they have always been my core audience."

Watching the film it's just weird that they don't do anything romantic together.

Dabanton

Haha. We should bring back the cry of "i can't relate"

It's interesting is all it takes is for 'black elements' to potentially come into certain things and some people flip their shit with excuses why 'it wouldn't work' see any film thread where a black actor is put forward for what are basically colourblind roles.

Also every superhero thread. Why does Spiderman HAVE to be white?

DY_nasty

It's interesting is all it takes is for 'black elements' to potentially come into certain things and some people flip their shit with excuses why 'it wouldn't work' see any film thread where a black actor is put forward for what are basically colourblind roles.

Remember when Idris Elba got that part in Thor?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

spider man doesnt have to be white, but the way they went about it was all wrong.

Apparently the lack of romance between that couple was all down to Denzel and this ties in with Taye Diggs who seems to anger a lot of black women because he seemingly doesn't care what they think of him.

Denzel didn't want to have a sex scene with Julia because he was afraid at how his black female fanbase would react and by extension his wife i would imagine. Which is quite silly seeing as he is acting in a role.

Watching the film it's just weird that they don't do anything romantic together.

I stand corrected. That's definitely different from what I heard, but if he said it, then that settles it. Maybe he felt more secure by He Got Game.

It's weird watching the film because the book has them. So the build-up is there, but not the payoff.

And as I type this, The Bodyguard is on in the background lol

And from that thread:

They can take this thug/gangsta shit and shove it up their ass... looks terrible

Hey it's Ice Tea in one of those screen shots!

Just be patient for GTA4 where it'll probably take place after GTA3. It doesn't look THAT bad.

"- Cars with hydrolics (right analog)."
May this game burn in the eternal flames of hell.

All chances of me playing this game are out the window. If I dont like rap how can I like this?! The mood is dead!

Yeah, and I suppose this game is going to have a variety of things to listen to, like heavy metal, rock, classical, country, and rap? Yeah, no way. This game is going to be purely rap/hip-hop driven, and you know it.

The gangsta crime culture is _BORING_ AS FUCK. Thats the problem here. It is so limited. A game dedicated to the Triads or Yakuza culture would have been interesting, or what about the Hell Angel's or the russian mafia.

I would prefer if hip hop "culture" was erased from the face of this planet. Since I'm a racist now, I guess I should hop on into my pickup truck and start burnin' me some crosses and buy me a big ol' double wide.

Maybe I should move to a place where the hip hop fad hasn't taken over yet. I know! I'll go to Africa!

It should be noted that GTA:SA is #3 all-time is sales, and my personal favorite because they included everything possible for an open world game.

I always wonder why they don't make a superhero game. Infamous and Arkham City are great, but a superhero game by Rockstar? Day one.

spider man doesnt have to be white, but the way they went about it was all wrong.

Yea, the way it was written made the character's sacrifice fairly pointless. I wouldn't worry, it'll be back to normal in a few months.
It's really hard for me to get used to that, but that's because I'm attached to the status quo of Parker as Spider-man. (Didn't like the clone story either).

FreeMufasa

You'd think we'd have come along a fair bit but did anyone else see the reactions to when GTAIV was first released? Stuff like

"Omg, wtf he's middle eastern?? I'm not going to play as a terrorist"

"I just don't understand how Rockstar could be so insensitive, playing as an arab in NY won't work!" Stuff like that.

I'll say this, I don't think the online gaming community is at all representative of the gaming community. It's largely made of metal heads who tend to not like hip hop. I was in school when GTA:SA was announced and I remember how every single person was excited. The geeks, skaters, dudebros etc. People were talking about how they were going to make their CJ buff or what not. Then I came online and saw all the venom, how this game won't sell to white audiences because they can't relate. Well it ended up being the best selling game of last gen and this is not the first time it's happened.

Remember when Idris Elba got that part in Thor?

Funny thread here. My favourite quote was something like this.

"You wouldn't cast Martin Luther King as a white man in an MLK movie now would you?"

Bleepey

Dwayne MacDuffie (RIP) was accused of promoting an agenda with the Black Panther and he called out that bullshit when he referenced the same fans would see it as believable that Batman could take on Galactus or Superman

1635034-247450_blackpanther14p08_super.jpg

Not sure if Macduffi wrote this but this shit is the kind of shit i am talking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u16sKK-1oLQ

Here are a series of interviews on it

Top Bottom