• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

akira28

Film school attendance records aren't the problem. And few people ever get serious film cred from a NAACP/Image award, sorry. Recognition from the accepted industry authorities is what matters, so try again.

edit:
or better yet, don't.

Dabanton

The big mommas house question is a good point how can they easily market that movie worldwide which is to all intents and purposes a 'black' movie by their definition as both it's lead and support are black actors. I'm in the UK and that movie had posters and media everywhere on Buses etc

And yet other black movies would be "too hard" to market i would think non black cinema goers are not that discriminatory surely? This whole thing has exposed some very ugly hollywood thinking.

Whatever happened to Derek Luke? Dude had star potential but I don't see him anywhere anymore.

The last thing i saw him in was Captain America:The First Avenger.

Film school attendance records aren't the problem.
Wow, so easily dismissing what could be a huge factor.

And few people ever get serious film cred from a NAACP/Image award, sorry. Recognition from the accepted industry authorities is what matters, so try again.
When did I say they did...

No, not even then.

The NAACP is... I don't even know why you or anyone would bring them up.

Especially in a case like this.
Sorry, but if you're gonna bring up he Emmys I think its entirely fair game to bring up the NAACP.

How about we all just don't bring up award shows because they all suck and never get it right?

Why we don't got NAAWP awards?
Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not that guy.

I never thought I would see somone bring up an naacp image award as a validation of quality.
That's not what I brought it up as.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Sorry, but if you're gonna bring up he Emmys I think its entirely fair game to bring up the NAACP.

How about we all just don't bring up award shows because they all suck and never get it right?
At least you can flash an Emmy and put it on a resume. NAACP awards in any capacity haven't meant a thing in over a decade.

Dabanton

In terms of 'Black' indie movies basically the same guys who apparently don't know how to market 'black movies' are the same guys you need to help you distribute. So it's almost a catch 22 the only way round is if you have a heavy backer like Oprah with Precious or are someone like Tyler Perry who has distribution with one of the better companies Lionsgate who also distributed Precious.

akira28

I'm sorry. You're right. Black people just don't want to make movies for "mainstream" audiences. That would mean going to film school. Anyway, we were discussing a movie made by a highly regarded movie maker, with a black main cast, being pushed as solely being a 'black film' because it couldn't be marketed as anything else but. Even though the creator expressly intended it for wide release, and its full of mainstream, known actors. So, much like Glory, and Roots, but completely unlike Amistad, it's doomed to obscurity and replay on black cable tv, because no one wants to see it.

At least we still have Precious.

I'm sorry. You're right. Black people just don't want to make movies for "mainstream" audiences. That would mean going to film school. Anyway, we were discussing a movie made by a highly regarded movie maker, with a black main cast, being pushed as solely being a 'black film' because it couldn't be marketed as anything else but. Even though the creator expressly intended it for wide release, and its full of mainstream, known actors. So, much like Glory, and Roots, but completely unlike Amistad, it's doomed to obscurity and replay on black cable tv, because no one wants to see it.

At least we still have Precious.

Red Tails is far from full of mainstream, known actors; that's a huge reach on your behalf.

How can you say its being marketed as solely a black film, have you seen the ads for it on TV? You're wrong.

Red Tails is gonna do fine, audiences eat that type of cheese mixed in with nice special effect action right up.

Mo'nique is disturbingly good.

You ought to check it out.

SAM-JACKSON-CLAPPING-GIF.jpg

akira28

Red Tails is far from full of mainstream, known actors; that's a huge reach on your behalf.

How can you say its being marketed as solely a black film, have you seen the ads for it on TV? You're wrong.

Red Tails is gonna do fine, audiences eat that type of cheese mixed in with nice special effect action right up.

I'm referring to Lucas' stated difficulties getting the film made, or getting anyone willing to distribute it 'as is' to a mainstream audience. He finally got it done, but the subject of our discussion was Hollywood's attitude towards movies with majority black main casts.

And the cast has plenty of people we've all heard of before, so...Cave Johnson.

DY_nasty

I've seen the fucked up story of Precious play out too many times right in front of me to pay to see it again.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I've seen the fucked up story of Precious play out too many times right in front of me to pay to see it again.

yeah man. im pretty sure you wouldnt want to see that. i have personal things that make it too close to home for me as well.

I'm referring to Lucas' stated difficulties getting the filmade, or getting anyone willing to distribute it 'as is' to a mainstream audience. He finally got it done, but the subject of our discussion was Hollywood's attitude towards movies with majority black main casts.

And the cast has plenty of people we've all heard of before, so...Cave Johnson
You guys are right about Hollywood's hesitancy to distribute black films so whatever man.

Anyways, yeah so I guess that's my introduction to Black-GAF :lol

Parallax

You guys are right about Hollywood's hesitancy to distribute black films so whatever man.

Anyways, yeah so I guess that's my introduction to Black-GAF :lol

its not about amerie skin bleaching, or that talentless harpy ashanti. and you havent pissed people off to the point of sheer mocking, so youre good. welcome to the fold.

What are you talking about ? I was never here...

....what?

FreeMufasa

lol nooooooooooooo waaaaaaay.

Africans are a lot more hated in Europe and Asia. But they have the benefit of being in the majority in their own country.

From my experience, Black Americans are pretty loved in Europe and would be more so than Africans in Asia. You'd get a lot more "Are you X famous person?" stereotyping though.

Parallax

Half-black and half-white here, which is fun because instead of feeling completely isolated from one group; I feel half-isolated from both.

EDIT: Actually..probably a bad idea.

i dont care what you are personally. but you can kick it in here if you keep it civil

FreeMufasa

Do black Americans travel internationally? (vacations).

I was speaking to a cousin of mine on fb yesterday and the dude hasn't stepped outside of the US. I'd like to see some numbers if there's a study on this.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
lol nooooooooooooo waaaaaaay.

Africans are a lot more hated in Europe and Asia. But they have the benefit of being in the majority in their own country.

From my experience, Black Americans are pretty loved in Europe and would be more so than Africans in Asia. You'd get a lot more "Are you X famous person?" stereotyping though.

lol yeah.. sure. Black Americans get hated on by Africans and..... black Americans

I was speaking to a cousin of mine on fb yesterday and the dude hasn't stepped outside of the US. I'd like to see some numbers if there's a study on this.

Does the average American travel internationally? Leaving one's State doesn't count.

I wonder about these yank bastards sometimes.

Blackace

Half-black and half-white here, which is fun because instead of feeling completely isolated from one group; I feel half-isolated from both.

EDIT: Actually..probably a bad idea.

half black half white myself.. and you are black..

Parallax

i havent, but i want to visit new zealand some day. every other country that i have been interested in seems to have some race issues, so my options are kinda limited.

lol yeah.. sure. Black Americans get hated on by Africans and..... black Americans

true on both counts.

Blackace

Nah dude.

One-drop rule is total bull.

keep telling yourself that...

lol

I felt that way until I was 12 and was called a half-breed.. then it hit me that I can say I am white but still be called the black guy

Blackace

I'd never call myself white.

even mixed.. doesn't stick

btw not trying to say don't be proud of your background I am..it is a weird area to be mixed but think of yourself as black.. but it is that way with me

black africans hate each other as much they hate black americans. moreso if they've had conflict in the past. tribalism is deeply ingrained in african culture, it's not really all that personal.

as far as who us liked least; if you dropped an african american and a straight up african in a non-african country, the african american would have a much easier time getting by imo

Parallax

black africans hate each other as much they hate black americans. moreso if they've had conflict in the past. tribalism is deeply ingrained in african culture, it's not really all that personal.

as far as who us liked least; if you dropped an african american and a straight up african in a non-african country, the african american would have a much easier time getting by imo

really? why is that?

even mixed.. doesn't stick

btw not trying to say don't be proud of your background I am..it is a weird area to be mixed but think of yourself as black.. but it is that way with me
I get what you're saying, but I haven't had any problems so far.

People actually think I'm hispanic/middle-eastern before I tell them what's up :lol

FreeMufasa

Holy shit. What a fucked up situation lol.

i havent, but i want to visit new zealand some day. every other country that i have been interested in seems to have some race issues, so my options are kinda limited.

This post made me sad. The fact that black americans are so hated they cannot explore the world. I will say dude that it is not as bad as you think. Britain and France for example are probably more accepting than the US.

I've been to:

England (live here)
Scotland
Wales
France
Germany
Norway
Sweden
Italy
Russia
Poland
Netherlands
Egypt
Dubai
Saudi Arabia
United States
Kenya

I have to say, even countries where I was expecting racists like Russia was very warming. Very very few situations which I felt someone was racist to me and even then it was the kind you could just brush of and move on. I found it was the opposite in many cases. You wouldn't believe the amount of people that came up to me just to say hello and have a chat, because I was black. I'm not saying it's sunshine and rainbows if you live there but as a tourist, you should be fine. I got laid in most of the countries too. I'm planning to go to Japan in a few weeks and then hopefully South America later this year ^^

This may offend or come off as sort of racist but don't listen to the white people in your country regarding this (of course, not everyone). I remember when I used to make inquiries on forums or in real life and you'd get a few "You can't go there, they hate blacks" type of comments and it's bullshit. In general, when you have another race telling you you're not going to be welcomed somewhere, don't listen.

lol just noticed how much i've wrote. It's probably because i've heard so many black people say they're not going to go somewhere because of how they'll be treated which is a fair doubt to have but it's mostly unfounded. Don't let it hold you back =)

Blackace

actually they don't ime... put a bunch of different tribesmen together, even ones with bad blood, and bring a light skinned brother from the states in the mix and you will see how things operate..

DY_nasty

actually they don't ime... put a bunch of different tribesmen together, even ones with bad blood, and bring a light skinned brother from the states in the mix and you will see how things operate..

is he wearing skinny jeans though?

Top Bottom