• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I swear... I try to be cool but each time I go out of my way to show that a sort of bridge can be made, some loaded ass thread pops up and they're like :3

DY_nasty

You talking about the one Dabanton linked to?

Yeah. The same exact type of shit went on right before the previous thread black-gaf and hispani-gaf threads got killed.

I can't stand this "connect the dots, look how similar we are and how we've worked together in the past" bullshit. The civil rights movement is long gone. The black people you have today are not the same as the ones back then. And there are a lot of very, very shitty reasons as to why. No one on the outside ever makes that connection though. Like someone else said "MLK I had a dream speech.... .... ....Rap music". There is a LOT of shit missing in between and for people to keep on acting as if they followed one after another without a massive upheaval and literal crackdown is incredibly frustrating.

Yeah. The same exact type of shit went on right before the previous thread black-gaf and hispani-gaf threads got killed.

I can't stand this "connect the dots, look how similar we are and how we've worked together in the past" bullshit. The civil rights movement is long gone. The black people you have today are not the same as the ones back then. And there are a lot of very, very shitty reasons as to why. No one on the outside ever makes that connection though. Like someone else said "MLK I had a dream speech.... .... ....Rap music". There is a LOT of shit missing in between and for people to keep on acting as if they followed one after another without a massive upheaval and literal crackdown is incredibly frustrating.

Yeah I know what you mean. And the bad thing is the people who have these stupid ideas don't want to learn what really happened and is still going on. It's just an endless cycle it seems like.

DY_nasty

Yeah I know what you mean. And the bad thing is the people who have these stupid ideas don't want to learn what really happened and is still going on. It's just an endless cycle it seems like.

Seriously. We don't even link articles from Ebony.com - maybe there's a reason for that?

And why else would he be cruising around that site if not to patronize?

Slayven

Now this thread could become interesting, but it seems they've just become ban traps whether on purpose or not.. Which is sad for the state of discussion.

A Look at African-American Trans Trailblazers

No way that thread has an agenda. Could be interesting, cause people lose their damn mind in black threads get offended when you call them out, but people walk on eggshells and post with kitgloves and still get slammed as a bigot.

DY_nasty

Honestly I think I'm going to just avoid hot button topics like that for a while man.

Every single person who posts in topics like those does so on egg shells. Some people can walk that fine line, most can't.

Still, for all the times that dreams, myself, harson, mws, PD, or anyone has to sit down and explain in detail exactly why a racial issue is present and why shit is offensive as hell you'd think we catch a break. We don't have a mod looming overhead ready to scorch the earth if something is so much as looks out of context. We don't lay down ban trap threads (if anything, we run a higher risk of getting banned in a race related thread than the racist assholes posting in them). But when they do "oh i can't believe you guys would think such a thing".

Its ridiculous.

Slayven

Every single person who posts in topics like those does so on egg shells. Some people can walk that fine line, most can't.

Still, for all the times that dreams, myself, harson, mws, PD, or anyone has to sit down and explain in detail exactly why a racial issue is present and why shit is offensive as hell you'd think we catch a break. We don't have a mod looming overhead ready to scorch the earth if something is so much as looks out of context. We don't lay down ban trap threads (if anything, we run a higher risk of getting banned in a race related thread than the racist assholes posting in them). But when they do "oh i can't believe you guys would think such a thing".

Its ridiculous.

It is said letting ignorance prevail, but sometimes you just have to write it off.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
damnit dy, the logic from last night still holds true today. we dont have the blast shields to avoid the heat that comes.

Shame because I have questions, but I don't want to be labeled.

its a dangerous game my friend. thats why most threads of the fashion are best to be lurked. after that shoe throwing thread, i cant really say much in said topics.

DY_nasty

I gave up after the Black Woman aren't attractive thread, just sit and observe now.
I don't blame you. I don't blame anyone really... the entire thing is just so over the top now that you can't even discuss an issue unless you dedicate an hour to it and focus all chakra into not having your words twisted.

Dabanton

I don't blame you. I don't blame anyone really... the entire thing is just so over the top now that you can't even discuss an issue unless you dedicate an hour to it and focus all chakra into not having your words twisted.

That's the depressing thing i start writing out replies in certain threads then read it back to myself and see certain parts that could be twisted round i then start changing stuff round realise i've spent 20 mins on this simple reply then just hit cancel.

Slayven

That's the depressing thing i start writing out replies in certain threads then read it back to myself and see certain parts that could be twisted round i then start changing stuff round realise i've spent 20 mins on this simple reply then just hit cancel.

Like that old joke about a little black man popping out and telling you don't do it.

Mononofu

lol you so right.

I remember when I created that horrible thread.

SonnyBoy

It wouldn't be so bad if moderation was consistent and evenly dealt out. Like others have said, it's not even worth posting after a while.

What's obvious about gaf is you can tell that so many of the members don't have any real world experience, hence the over reacting to every slightly "controversial" statement made that threatens the little bubble they live in.

I wasted about an hour of my life debating with some dude who thought we should let starving africans die off instead of trying to provide aid. I think that's about where I gave up before keeping it real went wrong

DY_nasty

It wouldn't be so bad if moderation was consistent and evenly dealt out. Like others have said, it's not even worth posting after a while.
I try to look out. I really do, but there's only so much you can do.

That thread was incredible stuff.

I pretty much had it with the kind of threads you can get away with when Black History Month closed out with the obligatory "black struggle via gay struggle" thread that popped up. It was like a blatant quasi-troll thread, I felt like.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27910340&postcount=1275

I'm not even understanding how dude is still a member. Holy shit

That thread was incredible stuff.

I pretty much had it with the kind of threads you can get away with when Black History Month closed out with the obligatory "black struggle via gay struggle" thread that popped up. It was like a blatant quasi-troll thread, I felt like.

Trying to draw a comparison between blacks and gays? hmm I wonder who made that thread

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I think you got about 1-2 more posts in that thread before that happens. It ain't worth it

it doesnt matter. from the first post in, that thread was done. the rest is the slow downhill. but he said hes done, so thats a good thing.

oh crap, nevermind then.

Dabanton

Just had my dinner delivered decided on Vietnamese haven't had it for a while.
Next time though i'm going to have to try out some of these

screenshot2012-03-02aevk2w.png

Yeah that douche was banned for the comment, and I'm sure he would have been perm'd if the joke had been about homosexuals... but it was about blacks so it's all good I guess.
Someone used the word faggot (as in, "this game is lame I don't want to spend all day shooting a bunch of faggots in a hall") in gaming just a few days ago and was not perm'd. Banned, yes. I don't think it's fair to make universal statements, that's all.

Does it need to be?
Why wouldn't it be reported? Not every mod is reading every comment.

I'm not trying to step on toes or start a fight, I just don't see the need to fight about this is all :/

Top Bottom