• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Gattsu25

Banned
there are a few brothas in Dota 2.

bestpcgamesdota2chen.jpg

Dragon Knight
dota2dragonknight.jpg

10246452.jpg

all of which are among the illest in the game.
Oh crap. Is is just me or is Chen heavily inspired by Thulsa Doom from Conan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Daz5Pc5rXPA#t=32s (sorry for the shitty ad)

Gattsu25

Banned
This Trayvon Martin shit has got me so fucking mad right now.
Seriously man... its just getting me angry the more I hear about it.
The latest news on this is that the FL State Attorney's office has taken over the case. I hope we begin to see some movement with this one.
The case has been turned over to the State Attorney's Office, which can decide whether to file charges or present evidence to a grand jury.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/17/family-florida-man-didnt-kill-black-teen-in-self-defense/

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
When Big Baybee mentioned Rosewood mad I was like =(. That movie made me cry.

i cant watch that movie. i saw it when i was younger and it made me mad. i saw it again when i got older and understood the meaning behind the actions more and it pissed me the fuck off. talking to a "friend" of a friend of mine with a group about it, and the dumb person said that she was most offended when that dude comes home and beats the shit out of the woman who caused all of it. i knew then and there that rosewood would have to go in the box of movies i could never watch unless i wanted to get pissed off.

i cant watch that movie. i saw it when i was younger and it made me mad. i saw it again when i got older and understood the meaning behind the actions more and it pissed me the fuck off. talking to a "friend" of a friend of mine with a group about it, and the dumb person said that she was most offended when that dude comes home and beats the shit out of the woman who caused all of it. i knew then and there that rosewood would have to go in the box of movies i could never watch unless i wanted to get pissed off.

That was the worst part of it for her? They fucking lynch an innocent man and burn the fucking town down. How did you not slap her?

Parallax

That was the worst part of it for her? They fucking lynch an innocent man and burn the fucking town down. How did you not slap her?

my first instinct was the flip the table we were sitting at. its like we had seen two separate movies or something, or she walked in at the end and thats all she saw or something. i couldnt even talk to the chick.

abuC

Doing some random youtube watching and found some stuff on racism in Russia, and then decided to look stuff up and came to this -

Nearly 60% of black and African people living in Russia's capital Moscow have been physically assaulted in racially motivated attacks, says a new study.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8230158.stm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBV3E8CnBew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IfLx-ry51I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LqEFkadXjQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzpugp9_IWg&feature=relmfu

Russia was never on my vacation list, but now it's on my "avoid at all costs" lists.

I've heard of racism in Russia before, but didn't really know it was that bad to be honest. It still kinda amazes me how there can just be so much hate over a persons skin color.

DominoKid

oh so, so so, tired of the women in my life harassing me about the girls in my life.

most uncomfortable dinner i've ever had.
although my aunt did pay for it, so at least that was good.

literally as soon as i sit down "i see youre dating a black girl now." (im not lol, still single) and it went downhill from there.

although i suppose i have to bite it on this one cause i just had to break one of my personal rules (no chicks in profile pics. it just causes problems)

but still.

i swear if i ever get married i'm not telling my mom's fam anything more than the date.

shuri

Banned
I've heard of racism in Russia before, but didn't really know it was that bad to be honest. It still kinda amazes me how there can just be so much hate over a persons skin color.
Racism in Russia is out of control. There was a 10k+ skinheads walk a few months ago. It's no joke and they are super violent.

Parallax

Those russian videos are fucking heartbreaking. And seeing those dudes come out of the woodwork to attack someone is depressing.

Derwind

The stories from my Mother(an East African lady) who lived in Russia for a few years in the early 80's said it was gorgeous and the atmosphere was friendly.... different times?

Did this movement start recently? Is it because of the fall of the Soviet Union? I don't understand....

Slayven

The stories from my Mother(an East African lady) who lived in Russia for a few years in the early 80's said it was gorgeous and the atmosphere was friendly.... different times?

Did this movement start recently? Is it because of the fall of the Soviet Union? I don't understand....

I would say different times, shit was on lock in the USSR. But the shit it has gone through since the 90s I can see it breeding a lot of fuckheads.

Imm0rt4l

Anyone who's seen the movie 'Shame' will know the chemistry these two had in that movie. Looks like they're going out.

http://www.abload.de/img/article-2115782-12328q1ufx.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm waiting for shame to drop since it was never released around my area. Fassbender is a mack.

*Plays Tupac "I get around"

DominoKid

i ain't even mad. it's just part of being black. it's not about to change anytime soon. just gotta live with it and laugh at life.

what gets me is that the story gets more and more fucked by the day.
the interviews, the recordings, the history of the police in that area, etc.
everyday it's just something new that makes me facepalm.

what the fuck.

im honestly surprised the guy hasnt been handled already by vigilantes.

Parallax

what gets me is that the story gets more and more fucked by the day.
the interviews, the recordings, the history of the police in that area, etc.
everyday it's just something new that makes me facepalm.

what the fuck.

im honestly surprised the guy hasnt been handled already by vigilantes.

they would go into full investigation "no stone unturned" mode if that were to happen. hes already protected by cops, they arent going to just let him fall off either.

and i just noticed the baking soda in your avatar... i laughed for a cool minute.

DominoKid

idk i guess im just too cynical for this.
i dont see this ending well for any of the parties involved (i doubt the family will get the justice they deserve)
and personally i dont think it should end well for Zimmerman or the Sanford PD.

im just bugged that it seems like this story is still going under the radar.
maybe it needs a clever video & tagline like that KONY2012 stuff.

akira28

Fall of the Soviet Union, the rise of capitalism, the rise of the cost of living, jobs being harder to get, immigration from Africa, Asia, and former Bloc countries. USSR state police no longer getting medieval on Neo-Nazi ass. I hear that black Americans can still get around a bit, but if you're from Africa, or even former USSR country they hate, you could get attacked in the street. African workers basically can't go home because it cost them so much to get there, they have contracts they have to honor, so they form their little enclaves and travel in packs. They're hated for stealing Russian jobs and....Russian women. Mainly by young punks who have probably never had either.

FreeMufasa

Doing some random youtube watching and found some stuff on racism in Russia, and then decided to look stuff up and came to this -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8230158.stm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBV3E8CnBew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IfLx-ry51I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LqEFkadXjQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzpugp9_IWg&feature=relmfu

Russia was never on my vacation list, but now it's on my "avoid at all costs" lists.

Not suprised. My uncle used to live there before he moved to America. One time a group of men dressed as police offers barged into his flat and beat the shit out of everyone there. This was in 2003 so a year before he went to America. There were about 4 major incidents where he and friends were randomly attacked like that.

Hard to say. I was there a few years ago and nothing happened to me. Just felt like any other European city, although with a lot more looks.

Tokubetsu

Mad Men and Black America
Entry 1: The critics are wrong: The series’ handling of race has been brave—and painfully accurate.

After World War II, seeking a competitive advantage over market leader Coca-Cola, Pepsi’s staunchly liberal CEO Walter Mack decided to radically expand his company’s marketing efforts in the underserved black community. He hired a team of black sales reps and marketers to blanket the rural Black Belt of the South and the urban enclaves of the North. This team was responsible for hiring some of the first black fashion models used by a major brand. They created the first in-store, point-of-purchase displays targeting black shoppers and hired Duke Ellington to endorse Pepsi from the stage during his shows. Some even went so far as to marry their brand with the moral uprightness of the emerging civil-rights movement, disseminating information about Coca-Cola CEO Robert W. Woodruff’s outspoken support for segregationist policies and politicians.

Black consumers, intensely loyal to institutions that showed them respect, turned out in droves. The campaign was a great success. It was so successful that it had to be killed, and quick. While Coca-Cola remained wholesome and All-American, Pepsi was becoming known as “nigger Coke.” Fearing a total collapse among white soda drinkers, at a conference for regional Pepsi bottling executives in 1949, the otherwise progressive Walter Mack took to the podium and said he would not let Pepsi become, in so many words, “a nigger drink.” His top black sales rep, who was in attendance, got up and walked out. Shortly thereafter, the company’s black marketing efforts were quietly scuttled. In 1953, singer/actress Polly Bergen was rolled out as “the Pepsi-Cola Girl,” a fresh-faced, lily-white makeover for the brand.

I learned something today!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Parallax

Eh... with all that shit going on in Russia, I still want to go. I think a bit of it has to do with people being surprised by racism outside of America. It definitely has a different taste to it...

Thanks, that was a really good read.
That different taste is them kicking your teeth in. It seems you would have to roll in increments of at least 3 to be safe. That shit was crazy.

Slayven

That different taste is them kicking your teeth in. It seems you would have to roll in increments of at least 3 to be safe. That shit was crazy.

Yeah it wouldn't bother me if they said "go home n" or refused my business. But when they show no fear of putting hands on me? Fuck that.

DY_nasty

Yeah, I hear that, but Russia is a big fucking place. Not every spot there is roving with mad max skinheads. What if people looked at Florida and New Jersey and said that all of America was like that?

And on "a different taste"... I experienced a bit of that kind of racism in France. Its very different. Here, the racism is pretty well explained. We grew up in it, we understand it. Overseas, its based on something different. I know a lot of people feel that racism is racism is racism, but the feelings behind it have a lot to do with how it is perceived and shown.

Parallax

Yeah, I hear that, but Russia is a big fucking place. Not every spot there is roving with mad max skinheads. What if people looked at Florida and New Jersey and said that all of America was like that?

And on "a different taste"... I experienced a bit of that kind of racism in France. Its very different. Here, the racism is pretty well explained. We grew up in it, we understand it. Overseas, its based on something different. I know a lot of people feel that racism is racism is racism, but the feelings behind it have a lot to do with how it is perceived and shown.
The thing that interests me about seeing racial attacks is that multiple times in different countries I've heard the rationalization that things are different because unlike the us, there was no civil rights movement. So at what point does one think something like that is necessary?

As for your experience, I know it may be prying, but would you mind sharing?

DY_nasty

The thing that interests me about seeing racial attacks is that multiple times in different countries I've heard the rationalization that things are different because unlike the us, there was no civil rights movement. So at what point does one think something like that is necessary?

As for your experience, I know it may be prying, but would you mind sharing?
While I was out in France with my gf at the time ( I was 18 ), I was doing the tourist thing and all that... sat down to grab some food and the guy who was sitting at the table behind me got up and said "we serve monkeys now?". It was kinda blatant because he went out of his way to say it in English.

So yeah, I shrugged it off, but it just felt different. A couple of other things popped up in France too. It wasn't like the good old American "your money is no good here" stuff. I can't really put it into words, but I'm sure it goes both ways - a black guy coming from overseas to America would be a bit shocked by our take on racism as well.

Parallax

While I was out in France with my gf at the time ( I was 18 ), I was doing the tourist thing and all that... sat down to grab some food and the guy who was sitting at the table behind me got up and said "we serve monkeys now?". It was kinda blatant because he went out of his way to say it in English.

So yeah, I shrugged it off, but it just felt different. A couple of other things popped up in France too. It wasn't like the good old American "your money is no good here" stuff. I can't really put it into words, but I'm sure it goes both ways - a black guy coming from overseas to America would be a bit shocked by our take on racism as well.
Its open blatant racism vs the reclusive variety that us americans are used to. I dont know how I would respond to the former.

DY_nasty

Its open blatant racism vs the reclusive variety that us americans are used to. I dont know how I would respond to the former.

Well, I guess maybe its just me then.

It may sound odd, but I've learned to accept the reasoning behind the American racism to an extent. The overseas variety just seems a bit more nonsensical to me.

Top Bottom