• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Derwind

Just watched the video of the girl threatening to kill her Prof and ever White person in the auditorium...

All I got to say is VIRTUOUS, SACRED, RIGHTEOUS, EXALTED and any other synonym for holy... SHIT!!!

I thought her head was going to fall off with the number of times she wiped her hair in the class...

Evolution is serious business... o_0

Onemic

Just watched the video of the girl threatening to kill her Prof and ever White person in the auditorium...

All I got to say is VIRTUOUS, SACRED, RIGHTEOUS, EXALTED and any other synonym for holy... SHIT!!!

I thought her head was going to fall off with the number of times she wiped her hair in the class...

girl has to be a schizo or have some serious mental issues.

This seems exactly like that Korean girl from a few months back, but in video form instead of twitter.

Derwind

girl has to be a schizo or have some serious mental issues.

This seems exactly like that Korean girl from a few months back, but in video form instead of twitter.

I agree that is the reaction of someone who has some serious mental health issue's..

The Korean chick fell for troll bait and her reaction on the internet is similar to many closet racist individuals. I think she's more willfully being racist and has a real prejudice against black people whose high melanin count offends her sensibilities....

zero_suit

I agree that is the reaction of someone who has some serious mental health issue's..

The Korean chick fell for troll bait and her reaction on the internet is similar to many closet racist individuals. I think she's more willfully being racist and has a real prejudice against black people whose high melanin count offends her sensibilities....

Yup, the Korean girl just got trolled by Floyd. This girl....yeah.

Imm0rt4l

trill.gif

ReiGun

I watch some of those VH1 reality shows with my sisters from time to time. It amazes me that despite there being like 5 of these shows, the women on all of them manage to be equally insufferable. Also, I'll never understand how they can call each other "bitch" all day, but the accusation of being "fake" is tantamount to challenging someone to a duel.

FreeMufasa

Well i'm off to the airport, going to Japan. See you guys in 2 weeks!

or 2 hours, depending on how bored I am at the airport

Slayven

LOL, so black churches now have attendance policies. My sister was telling me that a friend of her's aunt got kicked out of the church for not attending services. Twist is the lady was battling cancer.

DominoKid

anyone raised to be wary of race perceptions this hard?
i have to say im a bit thankful that i wasnt.
nothing wrong with a little healthy awareness but some of it seems a little much.

http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/20/my-12-year-old-son-knows-he-could-be-trayvon/?hpt=us_bn1

(CNN) – I spend a lot of time gasping. I’m the mother of a boy, a testosterone-poisoned boy. Whether it’s rock climbing or four-story tall cliffs that beg him to jump to the sea, my son just isn’t interested in activities that don’t require me to sign a waiver promising not to sue someone.

I spend a lot of time praying. I have to. My son is black. His race gives me much more to fear than his fearlessness. Today, people are learning that the U.S. Justice Department will investigate Trayvon Martin’s death. That’s the black Florida teenager who was killed by a neighborhood watchman last month.

Trayvon didn’t have a gun. He was just walking home from a convenience store to the home of his dad's fiancee. The neighborhood watch captain said Trayvon looked “suspicious.” George Zimmerman said he shot Trayvon in self defense. I’ve worried about my Drew dying like that since a few days after giving birth to him 12 years ago.

It’s tough finding the balance between encouraging a black boy to storm the world with confidence and at the same time to fear for his life. But that’s what I must do. I know that at this very moment some have just sucked their teeth in disgusted disbelief and decided that I’m exaggerating. I wish that I was. I’m not. If I were, Trayvon would be alive.

There are too many things, big and small, that indicate the world hasn’t changed enough since Emmett Till died in 1955. There’s James Craig Anderson, a black man in Mississippi. A video camera captured white teens running him over in a truck on June 26, 2011 after one of them allegedly said he wanted to “F- with a n-–.” There’s Sean Bell. There’s Trayvon. And there’s my son.

Drew was only 3 when I got confirmation that being black could be the death of him. We were waiting for a connecting flight in a Tennessee airport. Drew was on the floor with his Leap Pad, a small computerized storyteller that developed early reading skills. He had on a navy and white seersucker romper with exquisite smocked trains on his chest. His navy Stride Rite leather sandals didn’t have a scuff on them, and the five-day-old haircut still looked fresh. He was the personification of perfection… at least to me.

A little white girl who looked about 2 and a half trotted over and plopped down on the floor next to him. Drew was just about to slide half of the toy onto her lap so they could “read” together when her older sister charged over. I’m guessing she was 6. “Come back here!” she yelled. As she pulled her sister up off the floor by the arm, she explained loudly, “Don’t play with him! He’s dirty and dangerous!” My child was neither. It didn’t matter. He’s black. For some people, that’s synonymous with “threat.” If that weren’t true, Trayvon would be alive.

I’ve repeated the details of that incident to my son several times in the past nine years. I’m convinced that his very life depends on knowing that story even if he can’t remember it. I hadn’t told my son the “airport story” since Cambridge cops arrested Skip Gates. I had to remind my son that the right neighborhood and the Yale degree he hopes to earn won’t be enough to protect him. Trayvon’s death forces me to revisit what happened when he tried to read to that little white girl.

Maybe I shouldn’t keep reminding Drew about the risks that come with being black and male in America. It’s just the best that I can do under the circumstances. That story is a part of the “tool kit” I’ve cobbled together to help him stay alive. It’s as important as my “proverbs.” That’s what my son calls my pithy reminders of how he should dress, act, speak and respond to authority. He’s committed most of them to memory.

“Ann is a woman, not a conjunction.” “Make inside voice your choice.” “Disobedience is dangerous.” And of course, “You must always look like a prospect, not a suspect.” The latter one shakes my core. Drew and Trayvon have a similar look. Their coloring, eyebrows, smile, face shape and hair cuts are just too eerily similar for me. And I see that looking decent doesn’t trump being black. If it did, Trayvon would be alive.

Today I read about Trayvon trying his best not to run when he thought Zimmerman was hounding him. A friend says she was on the phone with Trayvon before he died, and that’s the account she gives. I don’t know Trayvon’s momma. But it seems she likely had the same proverb for her son that I had for mine. “Never run in a neighborhood.”

My son broke that rule when he was 7. He was Scouting for Food with the Cub Scouts on a service project in Buckhead, a posh McMansion neighborhood in Atlanta. Before I could stop him, he was running across the lawn of a mansion with the other little boys in blue uniforms. My scream stopped him in his tracks. I wasn’t so scared about him running just then. I was terrified that he’d forgotten the rules. I was terrified that he’d be with his white friends eight years from then and think he could run.

My ex-husband is 6 feet 2 inches. Drew’s half-brother is 6 feet 4 inches. My child’s only 12 and already 5 feet 5 inches. He’s black. He’s male. He’s going to be big. That’s just too much for my heart to handle. We had the talk again. “I know. I know, mom. I can’t run because I’m black.” I know America is the land of liberty, but my child has to understand he’s just free-ish.

Thankfully, I have a few more years before Drew begins to drive. I don’t want him to become another Troy Lawrence Jr. He’s a young, black, honor roll student from my hometown. Jefferson Parish deputies stopped him for speeding several years ago. Within the hour, his face was swollen, black and blue. Just about the time I begin teaching Drew how to parallel park, I’ll have to explain how to respond to a traffic stop. I’ll add Troy’s story to the tool kit.

Drew’s not bowed by fear at all. When he was 8, I told him that he needed to choose the scripture that would guide his life. My daredevil boy chose Joshua 1:9 - "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

He’s diligent about heeding my proverbs and exercising self-control. He knows that his manners, diction, hair style, clothing choices and education will help curtail some assumptions about him, but not all. He knows that he could be Trayvon. He’s still shocked that Zimmerman is not in jail.

In spite of my fears, I see reasons to be hopeful. I caught a beautiful glimpse just this weekend. My son’s Boy Scout troop camped on a family’s farm, and the moms had shunned nature for the comforts of the main house on the property. Through a kitchen window, I saw my son walking up the hill toward the house with a boy who has been his buddy since kindergarten. They share a secret handshake. Like so many other times in their lives, they had thrown an arm across the other’s shoulder, and there wasn’t enough space between their torsos to slide a blade of grass.

The genuine affection between long-time friends was evident. I don’t know what they were talking about, but they looked happy. They both looked free. I knew Drew didn’t see a white face, and his partner didn’t see a threat. Each saw a friend. That didn’t make me less scared for my son. I won’t stop warning him of risks. I’ll just make sure that moment with his buddy makes it into the tool kit.

Derwind

LOL, so black churches now have attendance policies. My sister was telling me that a friend of her's aunt got kicked out of the church for not attending services. Twist is the lady was battling cancer.

Now, I'm not religious, in fact far from it but is that really what Jesus would do? I mean it seem a little extreme thing to do. Denying people the right to worship in their Church of preference because they don't follow the same schedule as more devout individuals.

I mean that's pretty damn deplorable even.

Hopefully that Lady can find a more accepting Church.

anyone raised to be wary of race perceptions this hard?
i have to say im a bit thankful that i wasnt.
nothing wrong with a little healthy awareness but some of it seems a little much.

http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/20/my-12-year-old-son-knows-he-could-be-trayvon/?hpt=us_bn1

Honestly, before I found my way to GAF OT, I've been pretty ignorant on the level of racism and bigotry in the states. But I can see now why growing up my Mom was always paranoid being outside at night and even more so now that I'm a grown ass man(Nah, I'm still practically a child)... as she actually lived in the states. The most hate filled shit I've been exposed to growing up in Southern Ontario is a little bit of racial slurs from people who clearly have mental health issues. Certainly nothing as overt as that. Not that growing up in Canada shields me from racism and bigotry but it wasn't exactly as apparent to me.

Fuck, every time I hear these stories, my naivety dies a little inside, I don't know whether that's a good thing or not though.

Now, I'm not religious, in fact far from it but is that really what Jesus would do? I mean it seem a little extreme thing to do. Denying people the right to worship in their Church of preference because they don't follow the same schedule as more devout individuals.

I mean that's pretty damn deplorable even.

Hopefully that Lady can find a more accepting Church.

I've never heard of something like that happening. And we got cats in here watching Basketball Wives?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Churches can be crazy. Good fights on the show, that and "Love and Hiphop".

love and hip hop is depressing, mainly because somaya went from being super cute to wtf when i turned my back. and the girls tripping becuase the SOs dont want to be on the show? why?

Slayven

love and hip hop is depressing, mainly because somaya went from being super cute to wtf when i turned my back. and the girls tripping becuase the SOs dont want to be on the show? why?

Well she just got new boobs. If I was dating one of those chicks, I wouldn't want to be part of that foolishness either. Unless the check is very very good.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Well she just got new boobs. If I was dating one of those chicks, I wouldn't want to be part of that foolishness either. Unless the check is very very good.

she got new boobs? really?

and i agree. fab is smart in this regard. hes not trying to come off looking like jim jones.

Wow, I've never heard of a church doing that before. That's some crazy stuff.

It's also kinda sad to see grown women on these shows fight over something that was said on twitter or a blog.

Slayven

she got new boobs? really?

and i agree. fab is smart in this regard. hes not trying to come off looking like jim jones.

I googled her name to see which one she was, and her website came up and she had a long blogpost about her new boobs. The way he act on the show I think something is wrong with Jim Jones.

Onemic

So you don't believe the mental illness statement?

Derwind

So you don't believe the mental illness statement?

I'm cynical about it yes... at least when it comes to internet bigots...

Then again having serious prejudice against another group of humans does take someone whose marbles are not all in working order...

Now is their a clinical statement about her mental health by a medical professional?

Cause all I saw was someone who fell for troll bait from a sports entertainer and lost their shit...

Onemic

I'm cynical about it yes... at least when it comes to internet bigots...

Then again having serious prejudice against another group of humans does take someone who's marbles are not all in working order...

Now is their a clinical statement about her mental health by a medical professional?

Cause all I saw was someone who fell for troll bait from a sports entertainer and lost their shit...

Nope, just that last blog post saying that she's schizo and getting treatment. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she was faking it so she can lay low, but I'd rather want to believe that this is a case of mental illness getting the best of her.

In other news, I've been thinking about getting UMVC3 for PS3. Slayven, I know you play that shit. Is it any good? (at least in comparison to SFxT)

That church must be doing very well. Most churches I know want any and everyone to show up no matter the situation or how long they've been away. Lucifer was welcome as long as he put something in the collection plate.

FreeMufasa

Give us a report on how they treat the brothas. Have fun, man!

Will do. I'm in transit at hong kong now. I do find it funny though that the first racism I experienced here was from white people. Literally 5 mins after getting off,a German couple I was queuing behind said something like "They have Negroes/Niggers here too?" They probably thought I didn't understand. Couldn't be bothered to say anything to people I'll never see again so i just gave them the "I understood that look" and the dude never looked at me again.

zero_suit

Will do. I'm in transit at hong kong now. I do find it funny though that the first racism I experienced here was from white people. Literally 5 mins after getting off,a German couple I was queuing behind said something like "They have Negroes/Niggers here too?" They probably thought I didn't understand. Couldn't be bothered to say anything to people I'll never see again so i just gave them the "I understood that look" and the dude never looked at me again.

SMH

This is the truth. Adele is white and soulful = $$.

Who's fault is that? Lay the blame on her and her label for chasing whatever trend is popular. House and techno? Sure, jump aboard. Modern R&B is a joke

Beyonce, Rihanna, etc have different target audiences than Adele

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Top Bottom