• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Kaizer

Banned

C'mon son, you know you want some of THIS:
ULr0l.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'm gonna say this, I don't care for kfcs standard chicken, but as the only place that has hot wings(or even those spicy ass grilled wings) it will always have a place in my heart. Just not at the top.

I didnt see any kind of thread about this and I dont see much noise being made about it.
Have I just missed the thread or has Gaf ignored this story altogether? Some black, working citizens get gunned the fuck down and it aint a thing? Oh hell no.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/08/us/oklahoma-shootings/index.html
Authorities in Oklahoma arrested two people early Sunday in connection with a deadly spate of random shootings in Tulsa that had residents on edge.
About 30 representatives from four law enforcement agencies -- the Tulsa police, Tulsa County Sheriff's Office, the U.S. Marshals Service and the FBI -- had been working round-the-clock looking for the person that authorities say killed three people and wounded two others in shooting attacks early Friday.
The police identified the arrested men as Jake England, 19, and Alvin Watts, 32. They were taken into custody from a home in Tulsa.
"We're not exactly sure what their relationship is to another; whether they are friends or extended family members," said Capt. Jonathan Brooks said.
The men did not offer any resistance, he said.
The pair will be charged with three counts of murder and two counts of shooting with intent to kill, the department said.
Detectives were interrogating the two men Sunday morning and did not yet know their motive.
"It took a lot of work, a lot of collaborations between several different agencies, and a lot of help from the community," Brooks said, about what led them to the men.
The news will undoubtedly come as relief to residents, many of whom had changed their daily habits since the shooting.
Just blocks from where two of the shootings occurred in the predominantly black neighborhoods in north Tulsa, Philip Hargett moved his trash cans from the side of his home to the front so he would never have his back to the street.
"It's going to be a couple of days for all of us to get over this," Hargett told CNN affiliate KOKI in Tulsa on Saturday night.
His wife, Migdalia, said the shootings "scare the daylights out of me."
Venecia Williams, a mother and a grandmother who lives in the area, said she was afraid because she just didn't know what might happen next.
"That many shootings in one night?" she said. "That's quite a concern."
After the shooting, a survivor described the suspect as a white man, driving an "older" white pickup truck, said Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan.
Both England and Watts are white. All the victims were black.
Brooks, the police captain, said such a truck had been spotted at least three of the shooting sites around the time of the attacks. It has been
recovered.
Police now believe that both England and Watts were in the truck at the same time during the shootings, Brooks said. "It appeared to have been ditched," he said.
The first shooting occurred at 1:03 a.m. Friday. That victim, 49-year-old Dannaer Fields, died at a hospital.
Three minutes later, two other people were shot, authorities said. One of them "pretty close to the (gunman's) vehicle and the other ... a little further away," said Brooks, the police captain. Those two were initially in critical condition but, by Saturday evening, were expected to survive, he said.
Then, just before 2 a.m., another person was shot and killed.
The body of a third person was found around 8 a.m. next to a funeral home in a more commercial district, though Brooks said police believe he was shot much earlier.
Police have not begun ballistics tests to determine whether the same gun was used in all the shootings.
George Riley, the funeral director at Jack's Memory Chapel, said he was shocked that one of the shootings played out virtually on his doorstep.
"I consider it a war zone," Riley, a Vietnam War veteran, told KOKI. "I don't want to say it's scary, but it can be scary."
In addition to Fields, Jordan identified the other two victims as William Allen and Bobby Clark.
"It appears all the victims were out walking or in the yard," Brooks said. "This (happened in) a residential neighborhood, predominantly single-family dwellings, except for the last victim."

The Rev. Warren Blakney, a pastor at a city church and president of the NAACP's Tulsa branch, said the shootings could well prove to be hate crimes given that they happened in a predominantly black neighborhood.
"For a white male to come that deep into that area and to start indiscriminately shooting, that lends itself for many to believe that it probably was a hate crime," Blakney told CNN.
Brooks said one survivor recalled how "the suspect drives up to him, asks ... for directions and shoots him for no reason." There is no indication the shooter used a racial slur or said anything else that might indicate his motive, according to police.
Jordan stopped short of calling it a hate crime, saying "it's just not time for us to say that."
"Right now, I'm more worried about three of my citizens being murdered," the chief said. "And if it takes us in a direction of a hate crime, that's certainly where we'll go and we'll prosecute him for that as well."
As for the arrest, Brooks said the department wanted to publicize it as quickly as possible for a reason:
""We wanted to get the word out now so that when people woke up this Easter Sunday morning, they'll know that Tulsa is a little bit safer place."

Gattsu25

Banned
I didnt see any kind of thread about this and I dont see much noise being made about it.
Have I just missed the thread or has Gaf ignored this story altogether? Some black, working citizens get gunned the fuck down and it aint a thing? Oh hell no.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/08/us/oklahoma-shootings/index.html
There's a new thread about it on the OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469472

Just so you know, I quoted your post into that thread.

It could just be me, but it seems like racial tensions are slightly on the rise in America, or at least the number of racially motivated incidents are, and really, it's quite depressing.

DominoKid

Lat Easter before I go to college and nobody came to the house. Dang.

Man I can't remember the last holiday my fam all came. Usually it just ends up with me going to visit my grandma at the home (and all the nutty old people lol) for a few hours.

I like spending time w/ my grandma but I wish the rest of my fam valued spending time together as much as I do. Maybe it's because I'm the baby of the family that I actually like it.

---

On another note, I know friends grow apart, but I don't think I'll ever get used to it. I sent out a mass text (maybe 8 or 9 ppl) to the folks I hang out w/ when I got home on Friday and I didn't get a single response the entire weekend. It's like...I know they're home too and if I really wanted to I could just show up at their door. But I'm not one to force things. So I just left that alone.

I feel like life is trying to tell me that there's not much for me at home anymore. It's a weird feeling. My mom's good and situated on her own now. Last time I visited my dad he joked "nope you have to sit in the crappy chair cause you're a guest now" since he got me a car and set me free (his words).

Not sure what I'm doing this summer, but I do know that I won't be going home aside from the odd weekend.

Man I can't remember the last holiday my fam all came. Usually it just ends up with me going to visit my grandma at the home (and all the nutty old people lol) for a few hours.

I like spending time w/ my grandma but I wish the rest of my fam valued spending time together as much as I do. Maybe it's because I'm the baby of the family that I actually like it.

---

On another note, I know friends grow apart, but I don't think I'll ever get used to it. I sent out a mass text (maybe 8 or 9 ppl) to the folks I hang out w/ when I got home on Friday and I didn't get a single response the entire weekend. It's like...I know they're home too and if I really wanted to I could just show up at their door. But I'm not one to force things. So I just left that alone.

I feel like life is trying to tell me that there's not much for me at home anymore. It's a weird feeling. My mom's good and situated on her own now. Last time I visited my dad he joked "nope you have to sit in the crappy chair cause you're a guest now" since he got me a car and set me free (his words).

Not sure what I'm doing this summer, but I do know that I won't be going home aside from the odd weekend.

Yeah it's weird because my famil always get together for the holidays. And like your second thought I'm starting to feel that way too. Really if you want to do anything in your life you probably don't want to live in my town. And it feels like if you leave to go live elsewhere. It just feels like people treat you differently being from out of town.

DominoKid

Yeah it's weird because my famil always get together for the holidays. And like your second thought I'm starting to feel that way too. Really if you want to do anything in your life you probably don't want to live in my town. And it feels like if you leave to go live elsewhere. It just feels like people treat you differently being from out of town.

Yeah I'm getting to that place where I feel like need to figure out life for myself.
And probably fall on my face a few times doing it.

My city's a pretty cool place to live in all honesty, but its the type of place where if you don't leave when youre like 22, then you'll end up staying there forever.
And even the people that tend to leave tend to come back, because like i said its a nice place.
I know I could carve out a great living here, but I can't imagine staying in NC (let alone my town) the rest of my life.
I want a completely different culture. I've always dreamed of living in California. Somehow it always seemed like the place for me, but my idea of Cali is admittedly colored by the media I've consumed.
I know I'm not built for the fastpaced shit that goes on in the northeast though lol. I'm too easy-going and flighty for that.

The fact that I don't have many connections to this place makes me feel like its OK to leave. Plus its not like anyone outside of my family will miss me and if so, those people don't show it when I'm here.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Yeah I'm getting to that place where I feel like need to figure out life for myself.
And probably fall on my face a few times doing it.

My city's a pretty cool place to live in all honesty, but its the type of place where if you don't leave when youre like 22, then you'll end up staying there forever.
And even the people that tend to leave tend to come back, because like i said its a nice place.
I know I could carve out a great living here, but I can't imagine staying in NC (let alone my town) the rest of my life.
I want a completely different culture. I've always dreamed of living in California. Somehow it always seemed like the place for me, but my idea of Cali is admittedly colored by the media I've consumed.
I know I'm not built for the fastpaced shit that goes on in the northeast though lol. I'm too easy-going and flighty for that.

The fact that I don't have many connections to this place makes me feel like its OK to leave. Plus its not like anyone outside of my family will miss me and if so, those people don't show it when I'm here.

do you have an idea of where you want to go in cali?

DominoKid

do you have an idea of where you want to go in cali?

i have absolutely no idea.
right now its more of a motivational pipe dream than an actual plan.
tbh im not really looking further than this august because i have some (hopefully) big things going on this summer.
depending on how that goes, that'll determine what sort of job opportunities i start going for during my senior year.

Lebron

Let me take this time to say that you've been one of my favorite posters since you, plywood, d-v, and myself used to rock the (at the time allowed) hot women threads.
Likewise my brother in arm, we saved a lot of lost souls in those threads.

PhoenixDark said:
He gave some deprived Japanese girl too much of the big dikku and later realized that she was the wrong girl to give the big dikku too. He has since been MIA, assumed KIA until further notice. A medal of honor movement is in the works.

Likewise my brother in arm, we saved a lot of lost souls in those threads.

He gave some deprived Japanese girl too much of the big dikku and later realized that she was the wrong girl to give the big dikku too. He has since been MIA, assumed KIA until further notice. A medal of honor movement is in the works.

Wait what? Is this a joke or real lol

IceCold

So today I discovered the Shaft OST.

Mindblown man. It's awesome, I can't stop listening to it.

Do you guys know any similar albums or OSTs?

Banglish

I hope this is the right place to ask this..
Can a brown person have corn rows? Like east-indian? I have straight hair.
My sister says I can't. She thinks you need really curly hair, I just thought it needed to be long to braid it really tight. Right now it's in between 2.5, 3 inches.
Sorry for the silliness I just don't know, but I don't think shes right either, pretty sure I've seen people of other race with them.

My sister says I can't. She thinks you need really curly hair, I just thought it needed to be long to braid it really tight. Right now it's in between 2.5, 3 inches.
Sorry for the silliness I just don't know, but I don't think shes right either, pretty sure I've seen people of other race with them.

you can, but it will get messed up faster.

shit nearly every race ive seen does it

DominoKid

yeesh. not a pretty picture at all. i cant blame you for wanting to bounce.
now that i think about it theres a pretty good chance i've passed through (or at least in) Lancaster County.

manscaping question: clipper trim or razor shave

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Never fuck with razors.

I'm just now reeling in the razor bumps on my chin. My skin used to be so smooth :(

What's a good electric razor/clipper? I gotta keep this widow's peak in order, I'm tired of waiting to go to the barber to have it fixed when I get my hair cut. Also want to shape up my facial hair

What's a good electric razor/clipper? I gotta keep this widow's peak in order, I'm tired of waiting to go to the barber to have it fixed when I get my hair cut. Also want to shape up my facial hair

The Andis T-liner is usually recommended by almost anybody you could ask, but I personally use the Wahl 5 star Razor Edger, cut's closer than most other brands I've tried and alot cheaper; you might be able to pick up a pair for around $40. Though I think the Andis T-liners are around the same price.

So I just purchased one of those fancy electric razors yesterday.....why do you lie to me BlackGAF? Shit sucks hobo balls. My skin feels...irritated.

DominoKid

Yeah i got a Remington clipper the other day and my face just felt weird after I used it.
but it feels great today and no bumps either. i wish it cut a little closer though.

cant say the same on using it downstairs though.
guess im just not used to everything being nearly bare.
i used to just handle that with some scissors and cut it down only a little.

Top Bottom