• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

KingJ2002

- Where you're from: Los Angeles, CA
- Where you live: Los Angeles, CA
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy: Nigerian, Igbo, Orlu is what i call home
- Do you know your roots? Yep
- Your Age: 25
- Favorite musical genre: Hip Hop
- Your profession/major/career interest: Web Developer / Business Marketing / Just Create Cool Stuff
- Your religious affiliation: Catholic
- Hobbies: Gaming, Girls, Muscle Cars, Basketball

Lebron

Dreams-Visions said:
I plan on fucking hating the Heat. Will be cheering hard for Ray Ray & Co.

GO CAVS.
Well I hope you're happy and thank the Illuminati for whatever dark science drank they gave the rest of the team.

Vinrau said:
Is their an organization or foundation I can support to get more black women into beach volleyball?
I don't want that. The Brazilians alone put me over the edge.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
- Where you're from: Boston, MA
- Where you live: Cambridge, MA
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy: Barbados
- Do you know your roots? nope
- Your Age: 29
- Favorite musical genre: Dance
- Your profession/major/career interest: hell right now
- Your religious affiliation: n/a
- Hobbies: Gaming, Asian guys, Apple products, netflix,

Nameless

Lebron said:
It's always the best when you come upon it by pure chance. Scanning through the channels late night and just happen to land on ESPN 2, then you hear, "We're back with the Women's 200m Dash."

Thank you based God *remote down*

I'm more partial to women's gymnastics myself, but the track bitches are a nothing to scoff at. Either way I like where your head is at. The best thing about living in the south is our access to SEC gymnastics at random times. Cheese grits & pigs feet sculps these chicks up the right way.

I heart Morgan Dennis:

02_Morgan_Dennis_straddle-mounts_bars_WU.jpg

So I go to the grocery store to pick up some items today....

Can somebody please tell me why?
2poqg5c.jpg

2cqg0va.jpg

yes, it was a black family piling out of this rolling watermelon

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
wow.
And there are only 200 African immigrants in Slovenia.
that's an accomplishment. good going Slovenia.

Bleepey

KingJ2002 said:
- Where you're from: Los Angeles, CA
- Where you live: Los Angeles, CA
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy: Nigerian, Igbo, Orlu is what i call home
- Do you know your roots? Yep
- Your Age: 25
- Favorite musical genre: Hip Hop
- Your profession/major/career interest: Web Developer / Business Marketing / Just Create Cool Stuff
- Your religious affiliation: Catholic
- Hobbies: Gaming, Girls, Muscle Cars, Basketball

Cool another Igbo gaffer

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Whoops, totally forgot to do this.

- Where you're from
Xamar ( pronounced as one would pronounce "Mexico", x is an H) born in Kaaraan to be specific, Mogadishu. Somalia
- Where you live
England
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy. - Do you know your roots?
Hawiye, Harti-Abgaal ( Harti means Chivalry or Manly/Strong). Known for unique poetical genres within Somali poetry. Speaking of language. I came across this.
Ciismaniya.jpg

Old Somali script. Would have stayed the default, but people later chose to adopt the latin script, because well, that was and is dominant. Too bad if you ask me. Although, there are still people who use this script in academia.

- Your Age
- Favorite musical genre
No specific genre. If it's good, it's alright with me.
- Your profession/major/career interest
Part time teaching, student.
- Hobbies
Interwebs. Music.Movies. Americanization.

Since we're on a gaming forum, it could be conclusive that you're more on the geeky side so let's start with a more general question:

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?

Nope. It's actually cool to be a geek lately. And I don't think I've ever been teased for liking geeky things.

Girl I've been seeing has all sorts of nutty beliefs. Spirits, astrology, etc. She's extremely well educated though, very intelligent and fluent in three languages.

I told her straight up that I'm an atheist hedonist who believes existance is nothing but one big cosmic accident, and that the closest I ever get to sprituality is immersing myself in funky music and lovin' up on datt ass.

She seemed to take it pretty well. Anyone ever dated someone with beliefs waaaay different from your own? Can that shit ever work?

Himuro said:
I'm dating one now, man.

She believes, I don't. It's not a huge problem, well, now at least.

Is she black? I was surprised how well my girl took it. Suffice to say I am crazy about her.

Nah, this girl's Israeli.

How long have you and your girl been together?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Whoompthereitis said:
Nah, this girl's Israeli.

How long have you and your girl been together?
Israeli? Got to add that to the list of females to pursue. Thanks for the reminder

Lebron

Whoompthereitis said:
Nah, this girl is Israeli
Parallax said:
Israeli? Got to add that to the list of females to pursue. Thanks for the reminder
Be careful, as brother in arms I must warn you that they all have to serve in the military. So when you jet, change your name and appearance. God speed.

Imm0rt4l

Lebron said:
So Friday movies, better with Tucker or Epps?
Tucker is the only correct answer, this isn't a matter of subjectivity. I heard Ice cube was reaching out to tucker for smokey to return for another friday movie. he probably figured Tucker would feel inclined to join since he owes the IRS a lot of money. Tucker isn't very funny now though. Between not wanting to prepetuate any 'coonery', finding God, and tonning a lot of his stuff down he would leave a lot to be desired, I'm sure.

Parallax

Lebron said:
Be careful, as brother in arms I must warn you that they all have to serve in the military. So when you jet, change your name and appearance. God speed.
Are there horror stories?

Lebron

Parallax said:
Are there horror stories?
They are masters of the stalk. Just watch the Jersey Shore!

But I know a couple that have and said similar things. One said he was dating one, and she started thinking he was cheating on her so she started to keep tabs on him. He said one time when he left to go to work he took a different route and then out of the blue he gets a call from her saying, "That isn't the route you take the work, are you going to see some bitch?" and he was like WTF since there weren't any cars around him and it was night time :lol

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I have been shot down - whats on the playlist?

(no wyclef, plz plz god no plz)
Lebron said:
I likes ya, and I wants ya. Now we can do this the easy way or we can do this the hard way. The choice is yours.
:lol

Parallax

Lebron said:
They are masters of the stalk. Just watch the Jersey Shore!

But I know a couple that have and said similar things. One said he was dating one, and she started thinking he was cheating on her so she started to keep tabs on him. He said one time when he left to go to work he took a different route and then out of the blue he gets a call from her saying, "That isn't the route you take the work, are you going to see some bitch?" and he was like WTF since there weren't any cars around him and it was night time :lol
Hmmm. Thats quite offputting.
Kinda like the stuff i hear about korean women and crazy

I have spent the last 2 hours reading that lipstick site...very interesting place. It makes me lose hope that the black male and female will ever form a union on a large scale. I wonder where this animosity between us came from??? Personally my last few dates have been with white women/latina's and I feel myself drifting away from dealing with black women but didn't realize many of us are THAT far apart. It's like a fuggin war zone in there lol. Maybe it's just the internet amplifying these feelings.

Lebron

Parallax said:
Hmmm. Thats quite offputting.
Kinda like the stuff i hear about korean women and crazy
Just get them before they serve in the military :p

MWS Natural said:
I have spent the last 2 hours reading that lipstick site...very interesting place. It makes me lose hope that the black male and female will ever form a union on a large scale. I wonder where this animosity between us came from??? Personally my last few dates have been with white women/latina's and I feel myself drifting away from dealing with black women but didn't realize many of us are THAT far apart. It's like a fuggin war zone in there lol. Maybe it's just the internet amplifying these feelings.
I don't think it's as big as the media or internet make it out to be, but still something I wouldn't call uncommon. Frankly, I don't really care. For me at least, like the podcast posted a few pages back explained, I grew up in the suburbs surrounded mostly by Caucasian. The private schools and public schools I went too didn't have many black people either. So naturally I tend to be more comfortable around Caucasian people and other races, and tend to be attracted more to Caucasian girls and other races just because that's what I grew up around.

Not to say I have anything against black girls(Ariel Meredith is mine), I've dated some good ones. I just have issues with the ones with the attitude who call me "white washed" or say I sold out. How could I do that if that is what I grew up around? Frankly, I rather be myself than try to act "ghetto" when I grew up in an area where everyone had at least three cars. Sadly, those are the ones I normally tend to come into contact with here, so of course they catch the ignore. I really don't understand the hostility, well I've heard some of the reasons, but they still don't make any sense. THIS BLACK ON BLACK CRIME NEEDS TO STOP!

Lebron

Himuro said:
I never understood the black folks who act "ghetto" but live in the suburbs.
Yeah, I never understood it either. One of my friends acted like that, and I would always be like, dude, your dad is a CFO at an electric company....

Just because you listen to a certain music for instance, doesn't mean you have to make it your identity. Though that applies to everyone.

JCX

Himuro said:

It probably comes from pressure by peers to be more "black". I agree that the whole situation is weird.

Lebron

They're just idiots. You're black because you're black. Do they really think a racist is going to be like, "Oh, hey, we can't mess with that black guy because he acts white!"? :lol

But yes, the media has played a key role in that. The Black Acting School has done its job.

Nameless

Himuro said:

"You're supposed to be a gangsta? your real name is Clarence. And Clarence lives at home with both parents. And Clarence's parents have a real nice marriage"

Himuro said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

The best part is where the dog grabs the chicken by the wing, and the chicken calmly goes in the house with him.

Dog tries to mount and then his body starts malfunctioning halfway through.

Fucking gold.

Himuro said:

:lol

This is sort of like my cousin.
I feel like it's done out of some need to substantiate your blackness or something...which, of course, is stupid. It's not like anyone is going to be able to consider you something else. Once you're black, you're black - that's it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
MWS Natural said:

I am in that same situation. I think it comes from my upbringing. I was in the advanced program in school with mostly white and hispanic students. The regular program students were mostly black and had resentment for anyone black and in the advanced program. Saying they sold out and were nerds. It seemed to me that the black students in the regular program tried to be the total opposite of the advanced program to prove their "blackness". So from 7th grade through high school, that was the situation. That sounds like something minor, but for years and years I am sure that kind of conditioned some part of my psyche.

Now I look back and wonder if that situation was occuring all over the country. That would mean a minority of black people in advanced classes, getting good educations starting in jr. high and a majority of black students not getting that education, but thinking that makes them more "black". Not to mention the entire cultural ramifications of that. Those ramifications would create a divide. Would create a thought in the back of the "educated" black people that the majority of black people are ignorant and hate him/her, because that is what they have experienced most of their lives. Therefore being more comfortable with non-blacks.

Maybe jumping to conclusions or whatever, but something I do think about from time to time. There has to be some explanation for the animosity that you describe.

Lebron said:

Yeah, she served in the miltary. Had a desk job though.

First Israeli I've been with, but straight up, I'm more attracted to this girl than I've ever been to anyone. I've been with some beautiful women before, but this girl...when I smell her neck I get some crazy pheremonal thing where I just go crazy. She's multi-orgasmic, completely sexual, and rocks my world. Last night I was deep throated for the first time ever. The feeling of having a pair of lips hit your pubic bone is pretty much one of the best things ever.

I can't speak for other Israeli women, but based on my experience with this one I'd suggest you guys all make it your priority to find one and hit it like the fist of an angry God.

Top Bottom