• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Onemic

Victory is sweet. I didn't even know about this whole kickstarter thing. Devs are looking for funding from consumers now? o_O

That linux thing is stupid as shit though. Why would you use 1mil of funded money to create a Linux port that only like 5% of your intended consumer will play? It's not like linux users don't have other ways to play PC games(ie Wine)

DominoKid

lol i had a post ready to go before i deleted it.

long story short: my dad was known in the urban community and basically put a hands off order on me so i never got into anything beyond some stupid kid shit.

some of the stories i've heard about my dad's younger days...he's never been too proud when his old friends tried to bring them up. i wouldve never expected it because all my life he's been on his zen shit.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
lol i had a post ready to go before i deleted it.

long story short: my dad was known in the urban community and basically put a hands off order on me so i never got into anything beyond some stupid kid shit.

some of the stories i've heard about my dad's younger days...he's never been too proud when his old friends tried to bring them up. i wouldve never expected it because all my life he's been on his zen shit.

Same with my dad. He became a preacher when he got to Durham, but back in Fayetteville, him and his brother were known for mugging soldiers and kicking rocks to them on the same day. My grandad did me no favors though. I was trafficking for 5 months before I even knew what the fuck was going on.

Same with my dad. He became a preacher when he got to Durham, but back in Fayetteville, him and his brother were known for mugging soldiers and kicking rocks to them on the same day. My grandad did me no favors though. I was trafficking for 5 months before I even knew what the fuck was going on.

Do you mind going into details about that?

DY_nasty

Do you mind going into details about that?

I was trafficking for 5 months without being aware. Dude helped me buy a car (then kept a key of course) and he'd have me visiting my cousins across the city and state. I'd be inside kissing babies while they were moving shit either out of my trunk or out of the cuts in the roof of my car. I went another couple of months before I got paid for continuing to do it.

Its a really, really bad feeling when the guy sending you to deliver a bag full of pills shorts you and you're left to explain to 6 guys that your uncle shorted you though. Probably one of the scariest moments of my life.

I was trafficking for 5 months without being aware. Dude helped me buy a car (then kept a key of course) and he'd have me visiting my cousins across the city and state. I'd be inside kissing babies while they were moving shit either out of my trunk or out of the cuts in the roof of my car. I went another couple of months before I got paid for continuing to do it.

Its a really, really bad feeling when the guy sending you to deliver a bag full of pills shorts you and you're left to explain to 6 guys that your uncle shorted you though. Probably one of the scariest moments of my life.

It must really burn to know that they really didn't give a fuck about your safety or being taken to prison. At least that's what I would have assumed when I found out.

DY_nasty

It must really burn to know that they really didn't give a fuck about your safety or being taken to prison. At least that's what I would have assumed when I found out.
It sucked. But I got over it pretty quick. They really didn't lie about it. They'd always been grimy - I just thought it didn't apply to me. Eventually they kinda made sure I was out of it and that I wouldn't get drug into their shit once I started playing ball and showing that I COULD READ (CONGRATULATIONS HOMIE).

The thing that bothered me most about the whole situation didn't hit me until much later. I never really forgave them, or some of my closest friends, for getting out that situation. Every time I came back home, I held the fact that they didn't survive or get out against them.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

It sucked. But I got over it pretty quick. They really didn't lie about it. They'd always been grimy - I just thought it didn't apply to me. Eventually they kinda made sure I was out of it and that I wouldn't get drug into their shit once I started playing ball and showing that I COULD READ (CONGRATULATIONS HOMIE).

The thing that bothered me most about the whole situation didn't hit me until much later. I never really forgave them, or some of my closest friends, for getting out that situation. Every time I came back home, I held the fact that they didn't survive or get out against them.

damn dy, you need to write a book. seriously.

DominoKid

DY, saw your story about Durham...

I've only been IN Durham for like 5 mins in my life, and I got a front row seat to a junkie trying to hold up a gas station. This was maybe 2 or 3 years ago.

The trip shit is that my aunt and uncle are so used to surburbia (they aint seen anything rough in like 30 years) that they just sat back and watched the scene unfold like a movie while I was in the backseat yelling at them to roll out.

Not the best first impression of a city.

DY_nasty

DY, saw your story about Durham...

I've only been IN Durham for like 5 mins in my life, and I got a front row seat to a junkie trying to hold up a gas station. This was maybe 2 or 3 years ago.

The trip shit is that my aunt and uncle are so used to surburbia (they aint seen anything rough in like 30 years) that they just sat back and watched the scene unfold like a movie while I was in the backseat yelling at them to roll out.

Not the best first impression of a city.

Its weird. The whole time I was in Durham, I felt like a little guy. Every fight I had been in was with someone bigger than me or with a guy my size that had guys bigger than me in the background. I used to fight guys that were legit grown ass men. I always felt that the goal was to just survive a fight, not win it. I had that mentality all through college til I got in a fight while trying to protect one of my drunk ass friends. Handled dude so quick that I didn't even know what to think.

All those years of getting my ass whooped at 100x gravity paid off.

Its weird. The whole time I was in Durham, I felt like a little guy. Every fight I had been in was with someone bigger than me or with a guy my size that had guys bigger than me in the background. I used to fight guys that were legit grown ass men. I always felt that the goal was to just survive a fight, not win it. I had that mentality all through college til I got in a fight while trying to protect one of my drunk ass friends. Handled dude so quick that I didn't even know what to think.

All those years of getting my ass whooped at 100x gravity paid off.

First thing I thought of after that last sentence was this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iahFdGY5F

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Being a kid around people plotting to off someone can put your life in perspective. Thank goodness things got resolved peacefully. Chicago and Gary were/are no joke.

edit: Had people try to get me to join their sets. Scariest shit is wearing the wrongs colors, in the wrong part of town, dolo.

Being a kid around people plotting to off someone can put your life in perspective. Thank goodness things got resolved peacefully. Chicago and Gary were/are no joke.

edit: Had people try to get me to join their sets. Scariest shit is wearing the wrongs colors, in the wrong part of town, dolo.

My family getting robbed can't even compare with some of DY's "tamer" stories.

To be honest I don't even mind walking around Chicago south or west side save for a few blocks. GI on the other hand.... fuuuuckk thatttt. Most hoods have condemned houses, GI has condemned blocks. I'm good on that.

Lebron

Yeah I refuse to stop anywhere in Gary. Pedal on floor

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Why didn't you guys tell me ms spaulding and her beautiful afro was on the daily show last night. Oh god. You know what? Fuck it, I'm swagger jacking her from whoever claimed her in the past.

DominoKid

I don't get reddit. My friends love it.
There's a girl in my class that just shows me weird shit on it the entire class.
But there's too much shit on it. I don't know where to start.
I just wait until the good stuff makes its way over here.

Lebron

Why didn't you guys tell me ms spaulding and her beautiful afro was on the daily show last night. Oh god. You know what? Fuck it, I'm swagger jacking her from whoever claimed her in the past.

I think that would be Dreams. Just walk up behind him and stab him through the heart for max betrayal.

Onemic

Not a perm, don't worry. Hito confirmed it because we were all worried. Count got banned for going HAM in a religion thread.

Don't tell me it was the thread about the Christian group that helped a sick atheist dude?

I knew that thread would start nothing but trouble, this is why we can't have nice things.

Imm0rt4l

Honestly, I don't think he even said anything objectionable. It's that a few with a persecution complex felt slighted at his first post and it just went downhill from there. To be fair if I were a Christian I'd probably have a little bit of a persecution complex on gaf as well, but I agree with his first post. Problem is many felt it undermined the thread, but honestly it was a part of the discussion. While I wouldn't be vehemently opposed to having the nativity scene at a courthouse since it doesn't bother me that much, I don't think it's appropriate at all. It is nice though to have a thread about the good religion does, but this thread wasn't the one to champion for that sort of thing since there is a political undercurrent.

Slayven

I don't get reddit. My friends love it.
There's a girl in my class that just shows me weird shit on it the entire class.
But there's too much shit on it. I don't know where to start.
I just wait until the good stuff makes its way over here.

Maybe she wants you and trying to get you to do freaky shit with her.

Top Bottom