• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

captmcblack said:
I'm curious.
Are you black?

I noticed how popular this line of thought has become.

I feel like people who bring it up usually see the majority of blacks as the latter/think all blacks have at least a little "nigga" in them.

Advance_Alarm said:
Yes, why does it matter

I was just curious at the "novelty" of Chris Rock, or Chris Rock's opinions on blacks versus "niggaz" to black people, is all.

Like Lionheart said below, it's interesting how much people like to take Chris Rock's joke as applicable social theory, as if that's a state of mind as opposed to something you are.

A black person will always be a 'nigger' to someone that hates them, even a little - no matter how you act or think or carry yourself. There was a post I made early in this thread about integral understanding about what it is to be black...that is one of the things a black person sort of knows/understands internally, even if there isn't some explicitly written law somewhere to refer to about it or something.

...and now that the heavy social crap is out of the way - Chris Rock is fucking hilarious. There needs to be funny clips of black comedians in this bitch, goddammit!

captmcblack said:
I was just curious at the "novelty" of Chris Rock, or Chris Rock's opinions on blacks versus "niggaz" to black people, is all.

Like Lionheart said below, it's interesting how much people like to take Chris Rock's joke as applicable social theory, as if that's a state of mind as opposed to something you are.

A black person will always be a 'nigger' to someone that hates them, even a little - no matter how you act or think or carry yourself. There was a post I made early in this thread about integral understanding about what it is to be black...that is one of the things a black person sort of knows/understands internally, even if there isn't some explicitly written law somewhere to refer to about it or something.

...and now that the heavy social crap is out of the way - Chris Rock is fucking hilarious. There needs to be funny clips of black comedians in this bitch, goddammit!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tArmHN4j3qQ

i literally laughed ALL DAY at the Cap'n Crunch part.

Pinko Marx said:
They're hardly any good black comedians anymore. Most of them talk about sex, or "WHITE PEOPLE DO THIS, BLACK PEOPLE DO THIIIIIIIIS".

This. I haven't seen a black comic that I actually like in a while. Though I've been discovering some of the older guys like Redd Foxx, Pyror and Cosby.

Katt Williams though? Eh....idk.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
So I was chillin' with my Professor the other day. He's Ghanian, and arguably the best professor I've ever had. He was going on about how I should consider pursuing a PHD. When we eventually got into things I'd need to accomplish for that to happen, so we landed on the subject of application forms. I told him I didn't like them, I had some trouble with them, because I didn't see the relevancy of stating ethnicity on my application form. Particularly the fact that there's a distinction between Black African, and Black Somali, that really bugs me for some reason. He laughed and said that they've been doing this for ages. I said what?
He goes on to say that technically, I was "Caucasian". *My face, goes into AH HELL NAW"- mode. I told him, that's simply not true, to look at my skin no way in hell is my black ass, caucasian ( didn't say it like that though). He turns around, googles caucasian. Gets to wikipedia, and says " Read this."- "The term Caucasian race (also Caucasoid, Europid, or Europoid[1]) has been used to denote the general physical type of some or all of the indigenous populations of Europe, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, West Asia, Central Asia, and South Asia."

*in my head* Motherf***.

I tell him that this can't be true, I don't want this to be true. He tells me that it has more to do with cranial features or whatever. And he took dark skinned indians as an example close to east-africans.

How am I supposed to live with this Brotha-age? How?
What am I? All that I have ever known, was a lie... Am I even a man?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Veidt said:
So I was chillin' with my Professor the other day. He's Ghanian, and arguably the best professor I've ever had. He was going on about how I should consider pursuing a PHD. When we eventually got into things I'd need to accomplish for that to happen, so we landed on the subject of application forms. I told him I didn't like them, I had some trouble with them, because I didn't see the relevancy of stating ethnicity on my application form. Particularly the fact that there's a distinction between Black African, and Black Somali, that really bugs me for some reason. He laughed and said that they've been doing this for ages. I said what?
He goes on to say that technically, I was "Caucasian". *My face, goes into AH HELL NAW"- mode. I told him, that's simply not true, to look at my skin no way in hell is my black ass, caucasian ( didn't say it like that though). He turns around, googles caucasian. Gets to wikipedia, and says " Read this."- "The term Caucasian race (also Caucasoid, Europid, or Europoid[1]) has been used to denote the general physical type of some or all of the indigenous populations of Europe, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, West Asia, Central Asia, and South Asia."

*in my head* Motherf***.

I tell him that this can't be true, I don't want this to be true. He tells me that it has more to do with cranial features or whatever. And he took dark skinned indians as an example close to east-africans.

we have black sleeper cells now?

Imm0rt4l

Veidt said:

*in my head* Motherf***.

Veidt, if you were to steal someones car tonight, the owner of the car isn't going to say "hey stop that Caucasian guy!!". Why? Because race has little to do with genealogy, it's purely a social construct.

I've also heard that Somalis and Ethiopians are Caucasoid. I've actually seen some Somali's distance themselves from other blacks like they're superior, I find it both funny and sad. I have a lot of Somali friends though and most of them kinda just disregard that notion of their being Caucasian.

It's funny that race can seem like such an arbitrary thing. I have a good friend, he looks Indian, but everyone says he's black. He has a Spanish last name, so you'd think that would mean he was a black Latino, perhaps from Central America, but then he'll tell you that he was born in Mumbai, so I'm like ok he's south Asian. But he's widely accepted as black, but then I think how can this be? Maybe his father is one of the African minority tribes in India? But then I just stop giving a fuck where he's from cuz he goes through the same bullshit I do cuz his skin color, and perhaps that's why he's in a black fraternity was and advocate for all things black through high school and college , simply put he's my n**** Caucasoid or not.

Imm0rt4l

flavorflavps02.jpg

Flavor Flav To Launch Fried Chicken Franchise And Liquor Line

Flavor Flav announces two new business ventures, liquor line Le Flav Spirits and Flav's Fried Chicken.

Public Enemy’s Flavor Flav will soon make a leap into the world of food and liquor with two new business ventures. TheQuietus.com reports that Flavor Flav made an announcement about his upcoming ventures prior to a Public Enemy show earlier this week.

Among the two ventures is Le Flav Spirits, a liquor line that will consist of a number of flavored liquors including bubblegum and sweet tea vodka.

"Yo, check this out. I want you all to keep on the lookout – it should be on the shelves by January – I'm launching a thing called 'Le Flav Spirits,'” Flavor Flav explained while at the pre-show event. “I'm comin' out with a cherry vodka, a berry vodka, an olive vodka, a sweet tea vodka, a bubblegum vodka and grape vodka. Also, I'm comin' out with 'Le Flav Cognac' and 'Chateaux Le Flav' which'll be some bubbly. Champagne, that's right folks – Poppin'n'drinkin!’”

Lastly, Flavor Flav hopes to compete with the Kernel himself by opening his own fried chicken franchise.

“I'm also launching FFC – ya'll heard of KFC right? – well this is FFC, Flav's Fried Chicken. The Colonel better watch his back, G! The Colonel might end up in my fryer,” said the rapper.

While Flavor Flav spoke on his upcoming business ventures Chuck D explained that the group will soon head to “the motherland” for a handful of shows and workshops.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/...aunch-fried-chicken-franchise-and-liquor-line

What does black gaf think of flav and his impact on reality tv/portrayal of blacks etc?

I really don't like this guy

Imm0rt4l said:
What does black gaf think of flav and his impact on reality tv/portrayal of blacks etc?

I really don't like this guy

There's my response to the above, I mean I feel he did his part with music but his stuff on TV was just a dive after another.

Veidt

Imm0rt4l said:
Veidt, if you were to steal someones car tonight, the owner of the car isn't going to say "hey stop that Caucasian guy!!". Why? Because race has little to do with genealogy, it's purely a social construct.

I've also heard that Somalis and Ethiopians are Caucasoid. I've actually seen some Somali's distance themselves from other blacks like they're superior, I find it both funny and sad. I have a lot of Somali friends though and most of them kinda just disregard that notion of their being Caucasian.

It's funny that race can seem like such an arbitrary thing. I have a good friend, he looks Indian, but everyone says he's black. He has a Spanish last name, so you'd think that would mean he was a black Latino, perhaps from Central America, but then he'll tell you that he was born in Mumbai, so I'm like ok he's south Asian. But he's widely accepted as black, but then I think how can this be? Maybe his father is one of the African minority tribes in India? But then I just stop giving a fuck where he's from cuz he goes through the same bullshit I do cuz his skin color, and perhaps that's why he's in a black fraternity was and advocate for all things black through high school and college , simply put he's my n**** Caucasoid or not.
Just shows you how much of a broken concept race is.

For real, that's the truth right there man. It's the dark skin that counts to everyone. All black people are the same to some people anyway, we should embrace it and stick together. I know what you mean, I have indian friends that are in some instances even darker than me, and they go through the same exact shit every other black person has to go through.

Count Dookkake said:
:lol

GOOBLE GOBBLE!!!

Freaks! Freaks Freaks!

SmokyDave

Veidt said:
(on being caucasian) I tell him that this can't be true, I don't want this to be true.
Veidt said:

For real, that's the truth right there man. It's the dark skin that counts to everyone. All black people are the same to some people anyway, we should embrace it and stick together.
Is race really an arbitrary construct (or a broken concept) when it seems to make up such an essential part of your identity?

I know you later amend that to skin colour but that really isn't any better. There's some really troubling language here. I don't really know what to make of it.

SmokyDave said:
Is race really an arbitrary construct (or a broken concept) when it seems to make up such an essential part of your identity?
seems like a simple acceptance of the reality that broken or not, it's what we deal with and have dealt with for a few centuries, if not more. you can either fight it or embrace it.

I personally have no problem with his position, as there is value in the establishment of a quasi-community that shares certain common bonds and can provide a safe haven for those who by nature don't fit into the dominant cultures interests, viewpoints, or definitions of life, beauty, liberty or the pursuit of happiness.

There is a common struggle the people of color deal with in this world. And a common support that can be subsequently offered.

Veidt

SmokyDave said:

I know you later amend that to skin colour but that really isn't any better. There's some really troubling language here. I don't really know what to make of it.
My fault.
(on being caucasian) "I tell him that this can't be true, I don't want this to be true."-
Re-reading that. It must have sounded like I was a black militant/racist or something.:lol
I don't mind being listed as Caucasian or whatever to be honest, I think I might have been a bit clearer on the comedic aspect of things I was saying. I think Count Dookake got it, and hope most other people here got it too.

SmokyDave

Dreams-Visions said:
seems like a simple acceptance of the reality that broken or not, it's what we deal with and have dealt with for a few centuries, if not more. you can either fight it or embrace it.

I personally have no problem with his position, as there is value in the establishment of a quasi-community that shares certain common bonds and can provide a safe haven for those who by nature don't fit into the dominant cultures interests, viewpoints, or definitions of life, beauty, liberty or the pursuit of happiness.

There is a common struggle the people of color deal with in this world. And a common support that can be subsequently offered.
I just see an awful lot of 'Us Vs. Them' mentality in here and I don't think it's healthy. I appreciate that I can't appreciate what it must be like to be on the other side of that, all of your life, and I can understand a desire to embrace it for protection (as you feel as though you have control over being grouped as such) but I don't think it's conducive to healthy 'race relations' and eventually, moving on from the whole thing and hating each other for better reasons (such as, taste in music or games consoles).

Veidt said:
My fault.
(on being caucasian) "I tell him that this can't be true, I don't want this to be true."-
Re-reading that. It must have sounded like I was a black militant/racist or something.:lol
I don't mind being listed as Caucasian or whatever to be honest, I think I might have been a bit clearer on the comedic aspect of things I was saying. I think Count Dookake got it, and hope most other people here got it too.
Don't get me wrong, I know you aren't racist. You don't seem to have a malicious bone in your body and you're an intelligent guy. I just really don't know how to feel about some of the viewpoints that are espoused in this thread. You shouldn't fight fire with fire.

Edit: I'll be honest, the fact that I'm often accused of being a racist on this board probably makes me a lot more sensitive to this kind of thing than I should be. It's not that I'm trying to draw an equivalence to 'get myself off the hook' or anything like that, I just want to better understand when a viewpoint crosses over from being 'ethno-centric', which I feel is understandable, into 'racist'.

Veidt

I get what you mean dave. The whole us vs them thing.
But it's not "us black folk vs everyone else!". It's more of a thing where everyone of a minority background tries to support one another. Doesn't matter what kind of persuasion, Asian, white, black, if they happen to be in a minority position.

Most of it here is also of a comedic nature. Think of it like the DailyShow. :lol

Imm0rt4l said:
flavorflavps02.jpg

An embarrassment. Really.

EDIT: Just looked him up on Wikipedia. He's 51 and running around looking like a clown? Wow.

Imm0rt4l said:
I've actually seen some Somali's distance themselves from other blacks like they're superior, I find it both funny and sad. I have a lot of Somali friends though and most of them kinda just disregard that notion of their being Caucasian.

Yeah, until they come across a situation where they're oppressed by another race. Only then they consider themselves "black" and want support from the people they were trying to keep distance from.

SmokyDave

Veidt said:
I get what you mean dave. The whole us vs them thing.
But it's not "us black folk vs everyone else!". It's more of a thing where everyone of a minority background tries to support one another. Doesn't matter what kind of persuasion, Asian, white, black, if they happen to be in a minority position.

Most of it here is also of a comedic nature. Think of it like the DailyShow. :lol
Yeah, I do get that. I wouldn't be surprised if the bond between black people was slightly stronger than with other minorities due to the 'official' (for want of a better word) nature of their discrimination versus other minority groups, but I understand that the bond exists in other groups as well. It's just that after years of being conditioned not to draw things up along racial lines under any circumstances, it can be jarring to read and difficult to interpret as humour.

Ah well, once we get past this bit we'll only have to face up to the other big 'Us Vs. Them' battle, one that is far more relevant to most of us: Rich Vs. Poor. I meant to add that in my reply to Dreams-Visions. That is the common struggle, and it happily skips across racial boundaries.

Veidt

SmokyDave said:
Yeah, I do get that. I wouldn't be surprised if the bond between black people was slightly stronger than with other minorities due to the 'official' (for want of a better word) nature of their discrimination versus other minority groups, but I understand that the bond exists in other groups as well. It's just that after years of being conditioned not to draw things up along racial lines under any circumstances, it can be jarring to read and difficult to interpret as humour.

Ah well, once we get past this bit we'll only have to face up to the other big 'Us Vs. Them' battle, one that is far more relevant to most of us: Rich Vs. Poor
This is exactly what I was talking about with my brother. The divide is more of a Rich vs Poor thing. In contrast to let's say other countries. The conservative party here isn't racist, they just don't like poor people.:lol And this is something amazing. The UK seems to have largely gotten rid of most of the general racism I've witnessed in other countries.. I also don't think I've witnessed a more multicultural society. Working with kids all the time, it's amazing how they all just accept one another and really, really don't see colour at all. And most people in Britain grow up like this, so it's completely new to most Britons when you start talking like some people do, in this thread.

It's more of a rich vs Poor thing.

Tokubetsu

Veidt said:
This is exactly what I was talking about with my brother. The divide is more of a Rich vs Poor thing. In contrast to let's say other countries. The conservative party here isn't racist, they just don't like poor people.:lol And this is something amazing. The UK seems to have largely gotten rid of most of the general racism I've witnessed in other countries.. I also don't think I've witnessed a more multicultural society. Working with kids all the time, it's amazing how they all just accept one another and really, really don't see colour at all. And most people in Britain grow up like this, so it's completely new to most Britons when you start talking like some people do, in this thread.

Ayo, what's good blood?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
SmokyDave said:
Edit: I'll be honest, the fact that I'm often accused of being a racist on this board probably makes me a lot more sensitive to this kind of thing than I should be. It's not that I'm trying to draw an equivalence to 'get myself off the hook' or anything like that, I just want to better understand when a viewpoint crosses over from being 'ethno-centric', which I feel is understandable, into 'racist'.

I have never thought you were racist just sometimes a lofty idealist, who isn't always rooted in reality... If we had many many more people like you the concept of race would have died long ago...

SmokyDave

Veidt said:

Let me preface this post by saying that I am well aware that racism is alive and kicking in the UK, we are far from perfect.

That said, your post sums up how I feel. It's been like that for as long as I remember, when I was at school in the 80's I had a very diverse group of friends, predominantly because I (and my family) were broke as fuck so I found solidarity with the poor kids, who were a real mixed bunch. The upper 'cliques' in school were 99.9% white, certainly, but that was based on the fact they all had the 'right' clothes, shoes, toys, stationary etc. Stuff that me and my friends couldn't afford. We poor kids shared a culture, we couldn't go on bike rides because we didn't have bikes, we couldn't go into the shop for a 10p mix without being eyed up because the newsagent knew which estate we lived on and he knew we were poor. We tended to do 'poor kids' things like smoking & shoplifting (you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so fuck it, I'm taking that Mars Bar.), things that the others looked down on us for, partially because that's what we were expected to do.

As I got older, my circle of friends changed. I did fairly well at school and broke the poverty trap through fucking hard work (when I left school I worked for £1 an hour) and now my circle of friends is, undeniably, whiter. That, to my mind, is down to economic circumstance again. My poor kid friends stayed poor and we had less and less in common. Some went to prison or just became unpleasant shits, some moved out of town, that kinda thing, and I met new friends at my job. Conversely, one of my friends (who was black) went on to become an investment banker, is considerably richer than I'll ever be and I never see him any more because he probably still views me as one of the poor kids. Certainly I wouldn't be allowed into the clubs that he's a member of.

I think wealth is considerably more important than race in modern day Britain. As you quite rightly said, The Conservative Party hate all poor people equally.

Edit:
Blackace said:
I have never thought you were racist just sometimes a lofty idealist, who isn't always rooted in reality... If we had many many more people like you the concept of race would have died long ago...
Thanks, I really appreciate that. You're echoing something that a lot of people that know me in real life say, I sometimes see grey areas in black & white and it leads me to view things as I feel they should be, rather than as they actually are. I'm aware that many of my viewpoints on many subjects are lacking in 'humanity'.

Imm0rt4l

Veidt said:

For real, that's the truth right there man. It's the dark skin that counts to everyone. All black people are the same to some people anyway, we should embrace it and stick together. I know what you mean, I have indian friends that are in some instances even darker than me, and they go through the same exact shit every other black person has to go through.

Freaks! Freaks Freaks!

yea it's really a strange thing. One of my favorite podcasts radioab touched on something similar to what you were talking about. A black dude who sent in a test kit to see what percentages of european, african, subsaharan he was etc.

http://www.radiolab.org/2008/dec/15/

it's about 18 minutes 30 seconds in. The entire episode is pretty interesting though.

Veidt

Imm0rt4l said:
yea it's really a strange thing. One of my favorite podcasts radioab touched on something similar to what you were talking about. A black dude who sent in a test kit to see what percentages of european, african, subsaharan he was etc.

http://www.radiolab.org/2008/dec/15/

it's about 18 minutes 30 seconds in. The entire episode is pretty interesting though.
This is a great program. I'm gonna listen to the whole of it.

vangace

I need your help guys. I have issue involving race issues and I am not sure how to deal with it.

I moved in with one of my best friends who is white, I am also friends with this girlfriend who comes over to our apartment pretty much every day. I have been tolerant of this until two days ago when she said this tasteless and disgusting joke even though it was not directed towards me, I was deeply offended. This is what she said, "I am not your house nigger".

My buddy was upset too and he threw her out and told me they had broken up, now two days later they have reconciled and he now expects me to forgive her and pretend everything is cool. He is my best friend and we have been arguing about this issue for the past day and l think its getting to a point where one of us has to move out. Now my question is, am l overreacting by being extremely offended to a point where I don't want this girl over to our apt ever again and is it worth me losing a best friend?

vangace said:
I need your help guys. I have issue involving race issues and I am not sure how to deal with it.

I moved in with one of my best friends who is white, I am also friends with this girlfriend who comes over to our apartment pretty much every day. I have been tolerant of this until two days ago when she said this tasteless and disgusting joke even though it was not directed towards me, I was deeply offended. This is what she said, "I am not your house nigger".

My buddy was upset too and he threw her out and told me they had broken up, now two days later they have reconciled and he now expects me to forgive her and pretend everything is cool. He is my best friend and we have been arguing about this issue for the past day and l think its getting to a point where one of us has to move out. Now my question is, am l overreacting by being extremely offended to a point where I don't want this girl over to our apt ever again and is it worth me losing a best friend?
she said that to you or him?

vangace said:

Was she apologetic? Was it nothing more than a slip up?

I say the word 'faggot' all the damn time. I know it's a word that people find offensive, and I totally get why. I'm not homophobic or intolerant of gay people, some of my best friends are gay etc etc....

But I LOVE calling my straight male friends 'faggots'. The word is that fun to say. The hard consonant sounds, it's great.

Not saying she's the same way, but give us more context. How does this woman usually treat you?

Veidt

Tokubetsu said:
Just chillin', Keep your mind right blood. Remember the youths.
I don't understand what's going on.
What youths?

edit: wait, I think I get it. It's about the kids I work with?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
vangace said:

If she has a white tee with koolaid stains she wants you to deep stroke her...

But I would say you are overreacting if your best friend said something stupid would you stonewall him or talk to him? Tell her why that shit was horrible and see where it goes.. It will never be the same but maybe things will be ok

Top Bottom