• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Dreams-Visions said:
that's just bizarre. I didn't know white people talked to each other like that.
What? Many of white folks like to drop the N word on each other or make slave master jokes...

Imm0rt4l

vangace said:
I need your help guys. I have issue involving race issues and I am not sure how to deal with it.

I moved in with one of my best friends who is white, I am also friends with this girlfriend who comes over to our apartment pretty much every day. I have been tolerant of this until two days ago when she said this tasteless and disgusting joke even though it was not directed towards me, I was deeply offended. This is what she said, "I am not your house nigger".

My buddy was upset too and he threw her out and told me they had broken up, now two days later they have reconciled and he now expects me to forgive her and pretend everything is cool. He is my best friend and we have been arguing about this issue for the past day and l think its getting to a point where one of us has to move out. Now my question is, am l overreacting by being extremely offended to a point where I don't want this girl over to our apt ever again and is it worth me losing a best friend?

Did she apologize to you? Did she seem sincere? I've had a girl say the word in my presence in a pretty fucked up way once and she felt really bad about it immediately. I was able to make up with her seeing as she was/is a good friend.

Dreams-Visions said:
that's just bizarre. I didn't know white people talked to each other like that.
word

Blackace said:
What? Many of white folks like to drop the N word on each other or make slave master jokes...
Damn, brahs. I've never seen it done in person before or heard of it. Ever. And I'd like to think I have a lot of white friends, so it's not for lack of experience. Maybe they knew better? Because I'm pretty damn sure I would have taken special exception.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
There's a whole lot of crazy things us Caucasian folk say in the privacy of our homes....

Somebody help me, I'm already starting to get the urge to make coffee and watch Wes Anderson films.

*Googles coffee*

Wiki: "Country of origin...Ethiopia..."

MOTHERF***

Oh come on, what's next? Hitler?

Hitler related to Somalis, Jews, and Berbers.

oh for fuck's sake.

Edit: Immort4l, radiolab was amazing. I'm on my 3rd podcast of theirs.

Blackace

Dreams-Visions said:
Damn, brahs. I've never seen it done in person before or heard of it. Ever. And I'd like to think I have a lot of white friends, so it's not for lack of experience. Maybe they knew better? Because I'm pretty damn sure I would have taken special exception.

Thought since Dave Chapalle made the skit about the black klansman (scary that autocorrect has Klansman in it) and he called the white kids N@@@@rs and they were so happy about it, it was common knowledge... Or when college kids were getting shit for the feb black face parties.... Shurgs...

vangace

Imm0rt4l said:
Did she apologize to you? Did she seem sincere? I've had a girl say the word in my presence in a pretty fucked up way once and she felt really bad about it immediately. I was able to make up with her seeing as she was/is a good friend.

word

She apologized and seemed genuinely remorseful.

Blackace said:
Thought since Dave Chapalle made the skit about the black klansman (scary that autocorrect has Klansman in it) and he called the white kids N@@@@rs and they were so happy about it, it was common knowledge... Or when college kids were getting shit for the feb black face parties.... Shurgs...

As a white dude, I've heard other white people say some shocking things. Sometimes they mean it, sometimes they're just talkin' shit.

Also, keep this in mind: sometimes two white people talking to each other in private using the word 'nigger' a bunch aren't doing it to insult black people. Sometimes they're doing it in jest to make fun of people who talk like that and mean it.

I'm not saying this is the case most of the time, but it is something that exists.

Look at some of Sarah Silverman's comedy for an example of this.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Friday night - guess what I'm doing instead of watching the game on my brand new TV? Entertaining my 2nd cousin's 6 year old son because its Friday night, and he'd rather throw kids off on his 70 year old mother (who's also struggling to watch my 90 year old great grandmother) while he goes out looking for his 3rd strike. The kid's mom? She does whatever it is that former strippers do...

Its not that I don't like the kid, but every time I see the little motherfucker I want to kick someone's ass.

sciplore

Dreams-Visions said:

Interesting that you never noticed. Some people like to do things that are wrong because they think being shocking is funny. Its like learning curse words, then they move on to racial slurs or sexist ones.

So got in a discussion with my sister over this article. She was agreeing with it about Terrance Howard being a terrible cast for Mandela. Me being a fan of his was in disagreement, hell I thought the only issue they were having was that he is light skinned which is was a petty reason to dislike the guy in my opinion.

Then I saw the trailer. Yea it looks bad.

Imm0rt4l

vangace said:
She apologized and seemed genuinely remorseful.

If I were you I'd try and make nice. It's hard to just make a clean slate, but work with what you got, tolerate her presence long enough and maybe she won't seem so bad or maybe your friend will get tired of her soon. Better to not let this chic fuck up a good friendship.

The girl who offended me ended up asking me to senior prom *shrugs. Is that weird?

Veidt said:
There's a whole lot of crazy things us Caucasian folk say in the privacy of our homes....

Somebody help me, I'm already starting to get the urge to make coffee and watch Wes Anderson films.

*Googles coffee*

Wiki: "Country of origin...Ethiopia..."

MOTHERF***

Oh come on, what's next? Hitler?

Hitler related to Somalis, Jews, and Berbers.

oh for fuck's sake.

Edit: Immort4l, radiolab was amazing. I'm on my 3rd podcast of theirs.

Enjoy! I listen to their podcasts regularly.
Whoompthereitis said:
As a white dude, I've heard other white people say some shocking things. Sometimes they mean it, sometimes they're just talkin' shit.

Also, keep this in mind: sometimes two white people talking to each other in private using the word 'nigger' a bunch aren't doing it to insult black people. Sometimes they're doing it in jest to make fun of people who talk like that and mean it.

I'm not saying this is the case most of the time, but it is something that exists.

I've done this with a good friend of mine who's black. But we have pretty a pretty sick and self deprecating sense of humor.

Guys...
Zad7b.jpg

Am I the only one who sees the resemblance?

Blackace

Whoompthereitis said:

Brothers talk about white people the same way to be honest.. Just was saying that without doubt they drop the n bomb with one another.. Mostly was telling Dreams who seemed shocked by the fact

I talk about white people all the time with my crew. It usually involves us laughing at all the bullshit "diseases" they have like ADD or asthma or "bipolar" that they take meds for. Another thing, if you are white and try to act down or like you understand being black you will most likely be laughed at while you are gone. The gaf crew I know irl likes to point out how all of the blog threads (garbage like "wahh social anxiety") are made be the pale men.

Blackace said:
Brothers talk about white people the same way to be honest..
I...I don't really know these people either.

My father used to talk shit on occasion...but he came up in the 60s, so that is to be expected (some shit you never forget or get over). But really, I don't know any black folk my age who spent time talking strange about white people. May have just been the people I rolled with (just my fraternity brothers, NSBE, gospel choir members).

Advance_Alarm said:
I talk about white people all the time with my crew. It usually involves us laughing at all the bullshit "diseases" they have like ADD or asthma or "bipolar" that they take meds for. Another thing, if you are white and try to act down or like you understand being black you will most likely be laughed at while you are gone.
yea...never in my crews or experiences. and the only people I knew that had asthma were black (bad air in Detroit).

idk.

Advance_Alarm said:
I talk about white people all the time with my crew. It usually involves us laughing at all the bullshit "diseases" they have like ADD or asthma or "bipolar" that they take meds for. Another thing, if you are white and try to act down or like you understand being black you will most likely be laughed at while you are gone. The gaf crew I know irl likes to point out how all of the blog threads (garbage like "wahh social anxiety") are made be the pale men.

Asthma is a bullshit disease?

MiDNiGHTS said:
Asthma is a bullshit disease?

Yeah WTF. I had asthma as a kid.

You guys are lucky, I don't have any black friends. I was getting cool with one black guy who was a Kenyan immigrant back in 6th grade, but then I moved to a place with pretty much no black people and I've been here since.

Actually there is very little diversity in my group of friends in general. I only hang out with one person of color, a first nations dude that I've known for about 7 years. I also knew a fillipino guy, but he moved after we hung out and went to school for about 3 years. I know a dude that is part fillipino but I rarely hang out with him. The only contact with black people I have is with my family and you guys I guess.

^ oh, I'm sure. I literally never met a person with athsma until I got to college. and they were all from Detroit. And they were all black. Unsurprising to me that urban/big city air would fuck up a child's lungs. it only added to the long list of reasons why I hated Detroit.

...and what about ADD? how is that bullshit? with as many black kids as I'm hearing about in special ed classes with ADD or other mental illnesses secondary to all kinds of shit (home condition, abuse, mom doing drugs/alcohol while preggo, etc)...seems like we'd be the LAST people to dismiss mental illness. guess these are the same black people who don't get mental health screenings, prostate exams or believe suicide does not affect the black community.

Salazar

Advance_Alarm said:
The gaf crew I know irl likes to point out how all of the blog threads (garbage like "wahh social anxiety") are made be the pale men.

Badass. We roll like an old school Doctor Who villain. THE PALE MEN.

Edit: I laugh at your crew.

J2 Cool

Can we talk about our favorite black movies in here? Boyz N the Hood is great. Also love Friday, and I'm Gonna Get You Sucka is pretty funny shit. My older brother would always rent these, and I'd watch them. He got me into Hip Hop and everything else too. It was great exposure.

J2 Cool said:
Can we talk about our favorite black movies in here? Boyz N the Hood is great. Also love Friday, and I'm Gonna Get You Sucka is pretty funny shit. My older brother would always rent these, and I'd watch them. He got me into Hip Hop and everything else too. It was great exposure.
if all I had were Trading Places, Coming To America and Harlem Nights...I'd be alright. :D

Blackace

Advance_Alarm said:

I had asthma as a kid too.. My mother has bipolar.. So is my brother

You are tool

Blackace

Dreams-Visions said:
I...I don't really know these people either.

My father used to talk shit on occasion...but he came up in the 60s, so that is to be expected (some shit you never forget or get over). But really, I don't know any black folk my age who spent time talking strange about white people. May have just been the people I rolled with (just my fraternity brothers, NSBE, gospel choir members).

Not really talking like mad shit... But none of your people have ever made the "white person voice" or made any sort of standard joke that you might see from Martin? I find that hard to believe...

J2 Cool said:

House Party is all I have to say.

Blackace said:
I had asthma as a kid too.. My mother has bipolar.. So is my brother

You are tool
but interestingly, it does underscore how misunderstood and feared mental illness is in the black community. his response isn't that surprising at all if you step back and look at what's happening in our communities. suicide rates are high, but you wouldn't know it if the amount of black folk talking about it or doing anything about it were an indication. Same with bi-polar. Or anything else medical outside of sickle-cell. :lol

Anything mental or health-related is generally taboo. How in the fuck we adopted that kind of position is beyond me.

Blackace said:
Not really talking like mad shit... But none of your people have ever made the "white person voice" or made any sort of standard joke that you might see from Martin? I find that hard to believe...
on an extremely rare occasion. and I mean RARE. far too many black folk to poke fun at to worry about what the white folk are doing. :lol

Blackace

Dreams-Visions said:
but interestingly, it does underscore how misunderstood and feared mental illness is in the black community. his response isn't that surprising at all if you step back and look at what's happening in our communities. suicide rates are high, but you wouldn't know it if the amount of black folk talking about it or doing anything about it were an indication. Same with bi-polar. Or anything else medical outside of sickle-cell. :lol

Anything mental or health-related is generally taboo. How in the fuck we adopted that kind of position is beyond me.

on an extremely rare occasion. and I mean RARE. far too many black folk to poke fun at to worry about what the white folk are doing. :lol

Lack of health care might have something to do with it... Oddly enough Japan takes a similar stance as American black.. Which furthers my theory that Japanese are really black people in disguise..

But it has happened, so you can kind of see what I'm saying no?

Blackace said:
Lack of health care might have something to do with it... Oddly enough Japan takes a similar stance as American black.. Which furthers my theory that Japanese are really black people in disguise..

But it has happened, so you can kind of see what I'm saying no?
oh for sure.

interestingly, I find that a lot of us have some sort of health care (medicare/medicade at worst) but...just refuse to go to the doctor. refuse to get regular checkups. refuse to go to the dentist...

...until some shit really goes wrong. then they'll go to the emergency room. I can't put my finger on it, but there's definitely a fear of getting bad news.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Advance_Alarm said:
:lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Advance_Alarm said:
Asthma. Ha wat a bunch of imaginary BS.

Blackace

OuterWorldVoice said:
Asthma. Ha wat a bunch of imaginary BS.
All of those afflictions are very real and very dangerous if unchecked...

It is like saying "lol white people and their 'parkinson's disease'"

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Blackace said:

I was being facetious. I has the asthma and the white, although I suspect you were just reiterating ADD and bipolar disorder because of the earlier clowncar.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Advance_Alarm said:

Badass :lol :lol :lol

JCX

Blackace said:

I have asthma. I remember a doctor telling me that some of the medications don't work as well on black people as they do on white people. Sounds crazy, but even with how similar all humans are, I suppose that there are small differences. I guess this is why my dad seemed to want black doctors so much.

Lebron

Advance_Alarm said:
I have ADD and I have asthma, one of my cousins is bipolar. Basically, go fuck yourself. Keep the stupid between you and your "crew", thanks.

Hollywood Shuffle, Uptown Saturday Night, Last Dragon, Original Shaft(s), Undercover Brother, just to name a few.

Lebron

It went away for me too, mostly, through middle school and high school. Then it came back after I moved to Chicago. Had a real bad one couple months back and had to be rushed to the hospital. That shit wasn't fun.

Ovid

J2 Cool said:
Friday is a very underrated film so is A Low Down Dirty Shame.

Movies?

Lebron said:
Hollywood Shuffle, Uptown Saturday Night, Last Dragon, Original Shaft(s), Undercover Brother, just to name a few.

And more recently (my favorite movie of all time) ....

OHkYA.jpg

If you have not seen this yet, please PLEASE DVR it/rent it/buy it. This movie is HILARIOUS. :lol

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Advance_Alarm said:
This is the most incredibly ignorant post I have read in a while.

Advance_Alarm said:

Wow, fuck you. I'm not saying it's right to pretend to understand the hardships of being black when someone has only ever been white (that's bullshit), but your post is by in large a pile of shit. What's worse is you're not just insulting white people such as myself here, you're insulting black people who actually have mental illnesses.

Top Bottom