• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lemme get this out of the way then I gotta clear my chest on some ish

- Where you're from: Maryland (PG county)
- Where you live : Pittsburgh, PA
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy: NJ and Connecticut
- Your Age: 24
- Favorite musical genre: Hip-hop(but i dabble in a variety of genres)
- Your profession/major/career interest : Currently working on a PhD in Computer Engineering.
- Your religious affiliation: Christian( I don't attend church much anymore)
- Hobbies: Gaming, Technology, Yo-yoing(haven't done it in a while), music ,movies

[CHESTCLEARING]
KFC IS NOT BETTER THAN POPEYES. EFF WHAT YOU HEARD. IT'S A DAMN CONSPIRACY
[/CHESTCLEARING]

Had a talk about interracial couples with my mother, and it didn't end well. Although we're black, my mother actually wants me to get with a girl who is from our home country "and culture". Marrying a girl from another black country is as taboo and puzzling to her as marrying a Scandinavian blonde and so it's not just interracial but ethnic and social customs [her customs] that weigh heavily the most. I've always teased her that I may instead marry a Japanese girl and she would just dismiss it as a joke, but now she isn't talking and has looked sad all day because she's realised that I am not intent in marrying a girl "from back home", so to speak. I understand what she means and what she wants, but I was raised in a totally different culture and environment and her attitude is as alien to me as mine is probably to her. But it's tough seeing your mother disappointed in a life choice you make.

Nakazato

So my Black-gaf brothers. When did high top fade come back it style im seeing more and more of them when i live. Honestly Im kinda of freaked out by them since the 80's were 20-30 years ago.

Nakazato said:
So my Black-gaf brothers. When did high top fade come back it style im seeing more and more of them when i live. Honestly Im kinda of freaked out by them since the 80's were 20-30 years ago.

Oh god, I was never a supporter of the high top fade...it just looks ridiculous

DominoKid

Nakazato said:

It still ain't back in style. People just rock it ironically now.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Nakazato said:
Quickest way to point out a lame.

Stars and shit in the hair is also a big sign

The M.O.B

Negro-Gaf, help a brother out here real quick.

Just caught a bad case of dry scalp, i'm assuming this is from being out in the sun too much these days. What is your preferred shower hair product to get rid of all these flakes? I just picked up this blue magic stuff someone recommended earlier in here, am I good with just this?

Prior to this I had been using that head & shoulders dry scalp conditioner, but to no avail.

And i'm assuming wearing a hat or a beanie in the sun would also be wise? I have never been one to rock those fitted caps everybody has now days.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bleepey

Meus Renaissance said:
Had a talk about interracial couples with my mother, and it didn't end well. Although we're black, my mother actually wants me to get with a girl who is from our home country "and culture". Marrying a girl from another black country is as taboo and puzzling to her as marrying a Scandinavian blonde and so it's not just interracial but ethnic and social customs [her customs] that weigh heavily the most. I've always teased her that I may instead marry a Japanese girl and she would just dismiss it as a joke, but now she isn't talking and has looked sad all day because she's realised that I am not intent in marrying a girl "from back home", so to speak. I understand what she means and what she wants, but I was raised in a totally different culture and environment and her attitude is as alien to me as mine is probably to her. But it's tough seeing your mother disappointed in a life choice you make.

My Nigerian mum thinks i like oriental women, she's onto something. I am in pretty much the same boat.

IrishNinja

yeah, the white boy suburban thing is something different. i originally grew up in what became a gang/drug neighborhood in the 80s, so i related to Nas in the day saying he'd seen it all go down from his window, and just write about it. huge difference between that and saying you're about/done shit.
it was always shitty to have a method man or snoop or whatever shirt on and have other whites/latinos/etc call you a wigger like that shit was cool.

Big Baybee said:
I feel safe asking this question here. Any one of you ever had any bullshit run ins with the law? Pulled over for BS reasons, searched without cause, detained, etc?

kinda wanted to offer the other side of the coin here, being the whitest dude in south florida and all.

in the day, i had a bunch of carribean/black friends on this block where houses like the corner one were perpetually held by dealers, so bad shit would go down and you'd stay indoors, but then the house would be abandoned for days/weeks/sometimes months, so we were punk kids who thought it'd be cool to use the garage of said house as a sort've headquarters for whatever american ninja shit we had in our heads at the time. a few tagged the place up, and when we were there once and cops showed up wanting to bust balls about trespassing/graffiti and such, both of em came right up and asked me "what exactly happened here?". i was the youngest of the group and it showed, no doubt, but no amount of being called cracker or whatever by others made me feel like i stood out quite like that.

another time, me and my best friend (he was a trini dude, his dad was one of the biggest dealers on the block but he looked after me more than my family did) were running from cops for doing some dumb shit we shouldnt've, and of course we both managed to get caught - i was so sure being able to clear fences pretty fast would save my ass, but it didnt, haha. anyway, i got off with a warning, and my friend got brought in, had to have his parents involved etc (i dont think he had anything prior at that point). even when i was really young, it was completely obvious i could grow up with these guys and go through shit with them and still be living in a different world, and that was shitty.

Lebron

Bleepey said:
My Nigerian mum thinks i like oriental women, she's onto something. I am in pretty much the same boat.
Did you tell her that the world has a severe shortage of Blasians and you are just trying to do your part? We're all in this together now. One world. We all have to do our part for the greater good.

Looks like my playa days are over for the time being. Went to visit this girl I've been seeing last night, woke up with a girlfriend.

WTF?

I was at this girl's house on Saturday. Bunch of us were getting ready to hit the club, and the host had the latest Black Eyed Peas album on. Had to sit through it twice.

Holy fuck it sucks.

I know, I know, welcome to eight years ago...they've sucked for quite a while now.

But holy shit, listening to this album from front to back- what a piece of overly-autotuned bullshit. Shit ain't funky, shit ain't soulful.

Fuck. Hate that fuckin' album.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
whoomp

what do you do for a living man?

for real, you must be george clooney or something

The M.O.B said:

Just caught a bad case of dry scalp, i'm assuming this is from being out in the sun too much these days. What is your preferred shower hair product to get rid of all these flakes? I just picked up this blue magic stuff someone recommended earlier in here, am I good with just this?

Prior to this I had been using that head & shoulders dry scalp conditioner, but to no avail.

And i'm assuming wearing a hat or a beanie in the sun would also be wise? I have never been one to rock those fitted caps everybody has now days.

Just keep it classy
ignighted-fedora.jpg

Whoompthereitis said:
I was at this girl's house on Saturday. Bunch of us were getting ready to hit the club, and the host had the latest Black Eyed Peas album on. Had to sit through it twice.

Holy fuck it sucks.

I know, I know, welcome to eight years ago...they've sucked for quite a while now.

But holy shit, listening to this album from front to back- what a piece of overly-autotuned bullshit. Shit ain't funky, shit ain't soulful.

Fuck. Hate that fuckin' album.

This. fuck the peas

The M.O.B said:

I disagree with GAF on Grease...fuck that shit. I just use oils.

Everyones scalp needs are different so you'll have to determine a good oiling pattern that works for you. Length really matters because with shorter hair you can get it damp, oil/massage and keep it moving. Longer hair sometimes you can oil the scalp here or there and then add a conditioner/oil to the ends more often. Overoiling can cause itching. Get your hair a bit damp and oil/massage your scalp two to three times the first week and maybe once or twice the second week and see how that goes. Hair needs to be damp so the oil can seal in the moisture. The reason for doing it a bit less the second week is because your scalp should start producing it's own oils a little more rapidly by then, and you don't want to over oil.

Wash your hair every two weeks. Overwashing can be a bad thing.

I tend to want to stick to one type of oil like Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or Tea Tree mixed with a fragrance, because sometimes combining a dozen different oils can just disagree with a scalp and you'll never know the cause. I do use a blend of oils in Doo Grows Anti Itch Growth Oil though. It's never a bad idea to see a dermatologist either, who have some good medicated oils.

As far as a shampoo, I find that it isn't quite as important...a good natural shampoo tends to work, or you can use just about any dandruff shampoo, but really a proper balance between moisturizing and washing is what really does the trick with flakes and itching.

Check out apple cider vinegar rinse on the web as well: Used once a month for us black folk.

Unfortunately though I've gotta learn the game all over again now that I'm trying to lock.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
lightless_shado said:
Just keep it classy
ignighted-fedora.jpg
Fact: Only about 25% of men under the age of 35 can pull one of these off. The rest are dorks who also think handing women business cards (with no business to speak of) is pimp.

justjohn

Why is this whoomp guy cluttering this thread with his crap? I thought this was the black thread, not the sexual adventures of some White dude?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
justjohn said:
Why is this whoomp guy cluttering this thread with his crap? I thought this was the black thread, not the sexual adventures of some White dude?

we dont discriminate man. lighten up a bit

zero_suit

justjohn said:

Whoomp is cool. Shit, he knows more about funk music than the vast majority of us (black-gaf).

Meus Renaissance said:

From my own experience, and those of my (black) friends. I always had the impression that black families were pretty open to interracial couples. No one batted an eye when I walked in the door with an chinese girl. I guess it depends on the parent, but I'd imagine at the end of the day she just wants you to be happen, and the person you're with shouldn't matter as long she sees that they do so.

justjohn said:

Ha ha, sorry man. Didn't realize I was such a thorn in your side...

justjohn said:
Honestly I thought the same thing but it's not like the thread is blowing up with posts anyways so w/e. Bitchbrag on the internet can be entertaining.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Heading back to DC tomorrow via train.

I hated it the last time I was up there (Rockville area).... Help me love this city for my last two civilian weeks BlackGAF

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
lightless_shado said:
Just keep it classy
ignighted-fedora.jpg
My buddy loves to rock the fedora... the best part about it is, depending on how long/short his hair is it will completely conform to shape of the hat after he takes it off, which is pretty much the funniest fucking thing I've ever seen. Motherfucker looks like Darth Vader!

Any other brothers experience Hair Fedora?

masud

Banned
The M.O.B said:

tgel.jpg

You're welcome.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
zero_suit said:
Whoomp is cool. Shit, he knows more about funk music than the vast majority of us (black-gaf).
Every one is welcome in the thread, so there's no need to to qualify it with "he's blacker than you" stuff.

Just let people be who they are.

Imm0rt4l

So I was choppin it up with this chic last night, she was bad. Was hittin it off with her nicely, but then when the subject of music came around she says "I heard kanye west sold his soul to the devil".....pause(not of the n/h variety). She later talked about being saved and not listening to secular music anymore. She invited me to some christian club thing on campus and said their would be an after party and all this jazz. I really enjoyed her company, but I feel like we'd probably bump heads if I were to pursue, I dunno. Maybe I'll at least show my face, try and talk to her a bit more and then just play some mahvel after since I've yet to touch the game, that's if I'm done with my homework by then that is.

justjohn said:
HarrisonFord.gif

Tokubetsu

Imm0rt4l said:
So I was choppin it up with this chic last night, she was bad. Was hittin it off with her nicely, but then when the subject of music came around she says "I heard kanye west sold his soul to the devil".....pause(not of the n/h variety). She later talked about being saved and not listening to secular music anymore. She invited me to some christian club thing on campus and said their would be an after party and all this jazz. I really enjoyed her company, but I feel like we'd probably bump heads if I were to pursue, I dunno. Maybe I'll at least show my face, try and talk to her a bit more and then just play some mahvel after since I've yet to touch the game, that's if I'm done with my homework by then that is.

harrison-ford.gif

Don't bother. Seriously.

Imm0rt4l said:

harrison-ford.gif
Don't do it, man.

Top Bottom