• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Tokubetsu said:
Yea, I had to dropout. Got too expensive and scholarships weren't able to cut it anymore.
Damn that sucks, hope things worked out for you.

I was posting in the "Villians you root for" thread when I stumbled upon this...first time I ever seen it. Good shit.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
MWS Natural said:
Damn that sucks, hope things worked out for you.

I was posting in the "Villians you root for" thread when I stumbled upon this...first time I ever seen it. Good shit.
Your link led me to an oldie fromLarry Fishburne. I love this man's work

I swear I'm working on writing one of the greatest epics of all time. Too bad I went to culinary school, instead of film.

1300886262myabodycrazy.jpg

Mya is expanding, brahs. :-(

Lebron

On one hand, I want to have all the people who allowed this to happen to her jailed.

On the other hand, I want to put on my winter gear and ride those slopes.

K.Jack

That picture comes from a weird angle.

This is her, a few weeks ago:

Mya_Harrison.jpg

Her legs are bigger, but she's still really slim. A yummy combination.

*bite lip*

Tokubetsu said:
Yea, I had to dropout. Got too expensive and scholarships weren't able to cut it anymore.

Are you still pursing film as a career/hobby? And yeah film schools are expensive as hell. Sorry to hear that.

Kaizer

Banned
Ah, I'll never forget seeing Mya or Stacey Dash on the cover of KING Magazine. Truly awesome moments for me while going through puberty.

K.Jack

heliosRAzi said:
I would still fuck her with the force of ten Black Dynamites
Mya will be beautiful in to her 60s.

And doesn't this open another can of worms, in to why so many celebrity black women are still single and unmarried, all the way in to their 30s?

Off the top of my head, it seems like all of them...

Gabrielle Union, Sanaa Lathan, Halle Berry, Stacey Dash, Mya, Megan Good, Tyra Banks...... and so on the list goes.

Pretty much all of them are pro athlete jump-offs.

Tokubetsu

I've had a crush on Mya since the "It's All About Me" days. 31 and she's aging well IMO.

perfectnight said:
Are you still pursing film as a career/hobby? And yeah film schools are expensive as hell. Sorry to hear that.

I don't have access to video equipment at the moment but I've been doing photography since high school so I still do that (and I work wedding occasionally).

K.Jack said:
Gabrielle Union, Sanaa Lathan, Halle Berry, Stacey Dash, Mya, Megan Good, Tyra Banks...... and so on the list goes.
I've had a crush on Sanaa Lathan since I saw her in Blade and I had a crush on Meagan Good since Eve's Bayou (oh my God, Eve's Bayou)

Tokubetsu

heliosRAzi said:
I've had a crush on Sanaa Lathan since I saw her in Blade and I had a crush on Meagan Good since Eve's Bayou (oh my God, Eve's Bayou)

Basically, all these athletes fucked up/fucking up and should be having babies and raising families with these women. Can you imagine letting a chick like Mya pr Meagan Good go? I'd kill myself. It'd all be downhill from there.

Tokubetsu said:
Basically, all these athletes fucked up/fucking up and should be having babies and raising families with these women. Can you imagine letting a chick like Mya pr Meagan Good go? I'd kill myself. It'd all be downhill from there.
I know exactly what you mean! They might try to justify themselves, but you know that deep down they are kicking themselves for letting them go.

Damn I had no idea Mya was that hot.

Also how do you guys feel when you hear white people talking about racism/black culture?
In a class I was taking the professor brought up Malcom X, he asked if anyone knew who he was

He awkwardly had to explain who he was

Or when someone is talking about black people in a class or group setting, do people look at you to gauge your reaction?

lightless_shado said:
Damn I had no idea Mya was that hot.

Also how do you guys feel when you hear white people talking about racism/black culture?
In a class I was taking the professor brought up Malcom X, he asked if anyone knew who he was

He awkwardly had to explain who he was

Or when someone is talking about black people in a class or group setting, do people look at you to gauge your reaction?

There is a thread about the "censorship" of the Dead Island logo. People were annoyed or ticked off because they changed it and didn't understand why. They had to be told that in America, someone hanging from a tree has a certain connotation. Besides, the logo looked better after the change.

heliosRAzi said:
There is a thread about the "censorship" of the Dead Island logo. People were annoyed or ticked off because they changed it and didn't understand why. They had to be told that in America, someone hanging from a tree has a certain connotation. Besides, the logo looked better after the change.

See that one threw me off. I thought that it was changed because many people hang themselves as a form of suicide and it would be considered insensitive to advertise a game with that kind of imagery.

Lebron

lightless_shado said:
Yup, all the time since I'm normally the lone brothaman in the class The other day this white girl was talking about this scary black guy she works with and then realized I was in the class and tried to say sorry to me, and I was just like, "Don't worry about it, I'm from Texas. It isn't the first time I've heard a white person say some racist shit." Ah, that was a fun class from that point on.

K.Jack

lightless_shado said:
I was once at a friend's apartment, getting high and drinking wine. I was the only black person in the room, among maybe ten white people.

Chappelle Show came on, and I was the only one not laughing. Not for any reason, I was just too bent to even process what was happening on the TV. Anyway, I overheard a guy commenting to his girlfriend, about how the only black person in the room not laughing made him uncomfortable.

It's like my not being entertained influenced whether it was appropriate for him to enjoy a TV show. I was too bent to even respond to what was happening, so I just let it go, without a word.

What it comes down to, is that American society has conditioned white people to be hyper-sensitive about offending people of color. Some people are under the impression, that every black person is carrying the baggage of a person who feels whites are out to get them, so you run into the awkward situations, where they try to make sure you're okay with what's going on.

Sometimes I just want to say, "Why do you assume I give a fuck?"

I hate the cycle of... Hope I didn't offend you -> Hope you don't think I was offended -> Hope I didn't offend you -> Hope you don't think I was offended -> ad nauseum bullshit

zero_suit

Lebron said:
Yup, all the time since I'm normally the lone brothaman in the class The other day this white girl was talking about this scary black guy she works with and then realized I was in the class and tried to say sorry to me, and I was just like, "Don't worry about it, I'm from Texas. It isn't the first time I've heard a white person say some racist shit." Ah, that was a fun class from that point on.

Lol, what happened after that?

Lebron

zero_suit said:
Lol, what happened after that?
Awkward silence till my friend cracked joke saying the last time he felt silence like this was in his living room after OJ won. Then it just got even more awkward for the people who didn't laugh. Fun, fun day.

Cuz we scary

Lebron said:
Awkward silence till my friend cracked joke saying the last time he felt silence like this was in his living room after OJ won. Then it just got even more awkward for the people who didn't laugh. Fun, fun day.
Haha I would have cracked up.

K.Jack said:
I think I'm the opposite, I do give a fuck but if it's not offensive it's not offensive. The thing that pisses me off are the racial compliments. "Oh you are so well spoken" shit is what annoys me.

I have a major project going on at work right now so I had to send out a company wide email to update everyone. 3 minutes later I get an email from the President of the company, "Such a well written email, very impressive!". Really?? It's a fucking email dude, are you that impressed that I can put together a few sentences without grammatical or spelling errors? lol I don't know, maybe I look too much into things sometimes. I just hate getting compliments just because of ridiculously low expectations and standards white people have for me because of the color of my skin.

"Wow you are pretty smart for a black guy!"

Imm0rt4l

Yea, I don't like those back handed compliments. I've gotten some remark from a teacher that I was very eloquent as well. Meh...

MWS Natural said:
Haha I would have cracked up.

I think I'm the opposite, I do give a fuck but if it's not offensive it's not offensive. The thing that pisses me off are the racial compliments. "Oh you are so well spoken" shit is what annoys me.

I have a major project going on at work right now so I had to send out a company wide email to update everyone. 3 minutes later I get an email from the President of the company, "Such a well written email, very impressive!". Really?? It's a fucking email dude, are you that impressed that I can put together a few sentences without grammatical or spelling errors? lol I don't know, maybe I look too much into things sometimes. I just hate getting compliments just because of ridiculously low expectations and standards white people have for me because of the color of my skin.

:lol

One thing I really hate is how my white friends say something offensive(like a racist joke) but then apologize. Now it wouldn't be an issue if it was a one time thing, but if they do it all the time I feel like punching someone in the face. Or if they forget you're in the room and they're about to crack a racist joke and then they look around and they're like "not now"

I don't even really know what its like to have a black friend IRL. The last time I hung out with black kid(s) I was 11.

MWS Natural said:

I used to date an asian girl, she was a cool chick, but her friends and family were like that. Their biggest compliment to me was to say "You're not like other black guys".

"Yes, we're not all thugs and in da streets" is what I usually reply with.

It's sad that people think that way, on the other hand, it did make me feel like the magic negro imparting wisdom and greater understanding on people.

LosDaddie

Banned
So, do you guys get the clearly racist, usually political, emails that I get at work? I figure the sender(s) might filter out the black people in their email lists, but I still get the racist anti-mexican/hispanic emails too.

Shanadeus

Banned
This might be a racist question and if it offends anyone I'll edit it out:

Would you consider a white person who's been adopted and raised by a black family, a "brother?

K.Jack said:
Mya will be beautiful in to her 60s.

And doesn't this open another can of worms, in to why so many celebrity black women are still single and unmarried, all the way in to their 30s?

Off the top of my head, it seems like all of them...

Pretty much all of them are pro athlete jump-offs.
not for nothing but a lot of them are lesbian on the D/L but so are a lot of male entertainment people too. Not saying Mya is, just speaking in generality.

Shanadeus said:

Would you consider a white person who's been adopted and raised by a black family, a "brother?
I personally dont consider many black people "my brother", so no. They are "my people" though. However if you want, we can be down. come to south florida we can get some fried chicken and water melon drink (what I called the Arizona iced tea water melon flavor) and go chill.

*I got jokes today*

Luscious LeftFoot said:
I used to date an asian girl, she was a cool chick, but her friends and family were like that. Their biggest compliment to me was to say "You're not like other black guys".

"Yes, we're not all thugs and in da streets" is what I usually reply with.

It's sad that people think that way, on the other hand, it did make me feel like the magic negro imparting wisdom and greater understanding on people.
for real though. This type of shit pisses me off more than anything on the planet. What the eff do they mean "your not like other black guys"?! YOu nkow people need to wake the eff up, seriously. Last time I checked black people created Kemet (ancient egypt). We created Qustul (the kingdom that came before ancient Kemet). We founded the kingdom before Qustul which was in the Sahara (what is now desert) which gave way to Qustul and Kemet. All this before ANY kingdom ever existed on the damn planet. Outside of Africa the only other place was the Assyrians and there is debate as to what they were (ethnically). We were smelting iron at higher temperatures than anyone else in the world and was only achieved in recent history via machinery. We had universities before the rest of the world did. We populated the G_d damn planet. In the ancient world when the none Africans wanted knowledge they didn't go to Europe, they came to Africa (Ancient Kemet and I am talking about the Greeks). There is a people in Mali called the Dogan who knew about a solar system that the west only found out about in the 60s or 70s and the Dogan knew about it for CENTURIES! I dont think the west can even see this solar system still, they can only detect it. Ancient Egypt (Kemet) was said to have mad powerful telescopes which is why they think Dogan knew about that solar system (they are thought to have migrated to west africa after the fall of Kemet). Before they (Europeans) conquered Africa we conquered them, first via kemet and then via the moors. None of their knowledge is even based on their studies, it was information they re-purposed and dubbed their own. Dr. Bernal wrote a book called black athena in which he brings up a good point. There is a greek problem so to speak. They start out as nothing special and in many ways backward. They study in Egypt and return and magically they become advanced. The west ignores that fact though. It is also interesting to note when you go to egypt and look at many of the statues in the museums almost ALL of the noses have been broken off those statues. But they cant lie to much. You go down south where the seat of power was and you can clearly see what the ancient people looked like. They looked just like the southern egyptians of today. The ones they call "nubians" (that is a made up word by the way, didnt exist until recent times)

My point isn't to belittle others but to show, with out us there would be no them and none of the shit we all have now. yet they want to play us like we are some backward dumb ass people.

Africans and the African diaspora are in the state they are in now, not because we are inferior but because effed up social economic and educational conditions which have made many of them other than themselves. Did you know in many countries in Africa (my family is from west africa) they don't even teach you African history? By this I mean, outside of colonization. I mean ancient african history up to the present isn't taught in many or most countries in Africa. The flunky bastards who run these countries teach European history. Its a damn setup. Man I gotta go get me some water melon drank to calm down after reading that bullshit brah.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
LosDaddie said:
So, do you guys get the clearly racist, usually political, emails that I get at work? I figure the sender(s) might filter out the black people in their email lists, but I still get the racist anti-mexican/hispanic emails too.

Nope. Anything like that being sent where I work would immediately result in a firing.

LosDaddie said:
Aren't you the guy who puts up with racist shit at work all the time? If not my apologies, I know it was one dude who posted in here that would just let people do all types of crazy shit at work and get away with it.

Shanadeus said:

They can be a "brother" or like a brother but not a "brotha" by definition lol.

lightless_shado said:
:lol
I don't even really know what its like to have a black friend IRL. The last time I hung out with black kid(s) I was 11.
How old are you now?

Shanadeus

Banned
MWS Natural said:
Aren't you the guy who puts up with racist shit at work all the time? If not my apologies, I know it was one dude who posted in here that would just let people do all types of crazy shit at work and get away with it.

So skin colour is integral to being a "brotha"?
What about Michael Jackson?

The reason I'm asking all this is because I remembered Chi saying that he probably wouldn't date a white girl even if she had been adopted by a korean family and grew up learning all the hidden korean values and cultural norms.

MWS Natural said:

How old are you now?

20 years old.

Shanadeus said:
So skin colour is integral to being a "brotha"?
What about Michael Jackson?

The reason I'm asking all this is because I remembered Chi saying that he probably wouldn't date a white girl even if she had been adopted by a korean family and grew up learning all the hidden korean values and cultural norms.

As far as I'm concerned: If you identify with black culture, black people, and feel comfortable around them, then you're more black than you are anything else. That has little to do with skin color. I mean just look at Brother Ali. The guy is a white Albino rapper that grew up around black people. He loves black culture and considers himself to be closer to black people.

I wouldn't go as far as to classify that person as black because they may never face the same struggles that black people do and also genetically because they don't look black, but they're close enough.

Michael Jackson is a very strange case though. I don't know why his kids are white, I don't know why he never tried to rock a black hairstyle, but I guess you can just say he was just generally a strange person. But for most of his life he's identified with black culture and black people and their struggles so as far as I'm concerned he's a black man.

I was actually having a discussion about this a few days ago with someone. We brought up The human stain. Pretty interesting book/movie.

Top Bottom