• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Shanadeus

Banned
Good post lightless_shado.
I guess it's a bit of a futile effort if done purely with the intention of trying to understand the plights of a certain people.

With that said, putting white people through the process might make for an eye-opening documentary. It's one thing to read about other people's experiences and go around and think "Yeah, racism sucks" but I have a feeling that most people don't fully grasp what that racism truly mean, what it feels like and how insidiously subtle it can get.

It was just an idea I was toying around with, I'd rather not go through with it as it'd be extremely embarrassing should I ever be found out.

Lebron

You fuckers fall into that damn trolls trap every damn fucking time. Every damn time. Stop replying to it, it's not a real person.

Lebron said:
You fuckers fall into that damn trolls trap every damn fucking time. Every damn time. Stop replying to it, it's not a real person.

To be honest I'm just glad anyone is posting here these days. lol

And anyone interested in learning about racism should read/watch some of Tim Wise's stuff.

StinkFist

Banned
This world needs a Black Illuminati. Wealthy, smart, open minded Brothers and sisters to fix those little annoying issues the general public doesn't hear about. When I'm done with my schooling, I have to join a big brother program.

Lebron said:
Yeah, it hasn't been the same since the betrayal those months back.
?

Mononofu said:
Troll traps? explain.
He makes some...controversial posts

StinkFist said:
This world needs a Black Illuminati. Wealthy, smart, open minded Brothers and sisters to fix those little annoying issues the general public doesn't hear about. When I'm done with my schooling, I have to join a big brother program.

It probably exists. If not, we need to create it.

StinkFist said:

Damn, does wealthy have to be a requirement? There's no pay grade for that in my field.

I think I can pull off "pretty well off" maybe.

Parallax said:
NegroGAF was assimilated and then destroyed. We lost a lot.

NegroGaf? lol

StinkFist

Banned
Lord Cuze, of course you can join BI. You'd just be a junior member
forever+alone+face.png

Parallax said:
NegroGAF was assimilated and then destroyed. We lost a lot.

ooh. I thought he was talking about something to do with himuro. I don't really know if we really got "betrayed" so much as someone fucked things up for everyone.

Lord Cuze said:
Damn, does wealthy have to be a requirement? There's no pay grade for that in my field.

I think I can pull off "pretty well off" maybe.

NegroGaf? lol

Wealthy people will keep it funded. Longtime members will eventually get wealthy too.

It was called Negro-age

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
You'd do well to ignore the majority of Shanadeus' posts

Also, we're gonna post more in this thread dammit, Himuro would've wanted it this way

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
lightless_shado said:
ooh. I thought he was talking about something to do with himuro. I don't really know if we really got "betrayed" so much as someone fucked things up for everyone.

It was called Negro-age

naw, himuro wanted an out, and he took his shot. he pretty much made that public when he left the first time. negroGAF, negro-age, it doesnt matter what the moniker was. our barbershop was fused with a carniceria, and was unrecognizable.

lightless_shado said:
I honestly felt betrayed, even though I was stupid to believe the black mods would protect us after all of the BS copycat threads popped up. Hispanic GAF and Gay GAF was cool for months but as soon as a BlackGAF thread showed up, "OMG WE GOTTA SHUT DEM NIGGERS DOWN!!!". Then came all the BS copycat threads and of course the mods gave them exactly what they wanted.

DrFunk said:
You'd do well to ignore the majority of Shanadeus' posts

Also, we're gonna post more in this thread dammit, Himuro would've wanted it this way
Basically, dude is a fuggin clown.

I was surprised no one had any comments on my modern day Jim Crow post until someone else made a thread about it days later.

Parallax

MWS Natural said:
I honestly felt betrayed, even though I was stupid to believe the black mods would protect us after all of the BS copycat threads popped up. Hispanic GAF and Gay GAF was cool for months but as soon as a BlackGAF thread showed up, "OMG WE GOTTA SHUT DEM NIGGERS DOWN!!!". Then came all the BS copycat threads and of course the mods gave them exactly what they wanted.

it was the ass that made that white thread that fucked us. we would have continued if that thread didnt surface. and with the loss of our thread, was the loss of the building momentum the thread had. and whats worse is that we cant even look in the thread anymore due to the fusion

Bishman

Hey Black-GAF, why do n****s mean mug? I remember growing up, I learned that quick and had adjust to it. It made me feel like I was too friendly, smiling and shit... lol. I was the cool kid with everyone in my neighborhood... like the dude that was down with the hood guys, white people, Indians, Mexicans, and etc.

Bishman said:
Hey Black-GAF, why do n****s mean mug? I remember growing up, I learned that quick and had adjust to it. It made me feel like I was too friendly, smiling and shit... lol. I was the cool kid with everyone in my neighborhood... like the dude that was down with the hood guys, white people, Indians, Mexicans, and etc.

We put the screwface on so people don't fuck with us for no reason.

Because that happens more than it should, whether it's cops or stupid drunk racist people at bars when you're playing pool with them and beating them, or at work when there's that one dude that wants to "ask a black guy" a stupid question about black people and perceived black culture - taking care to say "no offense' afterwards, of course.

Also, PREACH MWS NATURAL, PREACH.

Shanadeus

Banned
I got a little GAF+ related question that I've kinda raised in the race-changing thread but it'd be interesting to see what the members of this thread think.

You all probably know that we'll in the future be able to change the skin colour and race of our children through genetic engineering before they're born.

Would you use that power?

Scribble

captmcblack said:
We put the screwface on so people don't fuck with us for no reason.

Because that happens more than it should, whether it's cops or stupid drunk racist people at bars when you're playing pool with them and beating them, or at work when there's that one dude that wants to "ask a black guy" a stupid question about black people and perceived black culture - taking care to say "no offense' afterwards, of course.

Also, PREACH MWS NATURAL, PREACH.

Doesn't it happen between black people too, though?

Shanadeus said:
I got a little GAF+ related question that I've kinda raised in the race-changing thread but it'd be interesting to see what the members of this thread think.

You all probably know that we'll in the future be able to change the skin colour and race of our children through genetic engineering before they're born.

no, but i WILL name my kids something like Edward instead of DeMarcus

Gamer98

Banned
Shanadeus said:

Leave.

I had a conversation with a friend a week ago (he is black as well), and we spoke of the names that we would give our children and he said that he would love to have a girl, so we focused our brainstorming on girl names.

I gave a few names: Lauryn, Hayley, Samantha, etc.

But then he gives me some ghetto assed name that's so ghetto that I can't even remember it at the moment. I asked him why would you name your child like that and he responded that it is unique and beautiful: unlike the other names that are around. Poor eventual kid.

Edit: Lol @ the wall of "stfu Shanadeus"-esque posts. Dude's making an enemy out of a lot of people with his nonsense.

spindashing said:
I had a conversation with a friend a week ago (he is black as well), and we spoke of the names that we would give our children and he said that he would love to have a girl, so we focused our brainstorming on girl names.

I gave a few names: Lauryn, Hayley, Samantha, etc.

But then he gives me some ghetto assed name that's so ghetto that I can't even remember it at the moment. I asked him why would you name your child like that and he responded that it is unique and beautiful: unlike the other names that are around. Poor eventual kid.
Yea. I don't know too many educated people giving their children "home grown" names.

In fact, I don't think I've ever seen it.

as for Shandeus...I liken him to a small child. It makes his unlearned posts easier to read.

Lebron said:
Yup, every time. The ignore, she does nothing.

But on one hand, he does help keep the thread on life support.

So I've decided to give The Wire another chance. Last time I got interrupted by too much stuff and I never got the chance to sit down and watch it. Starting from season 1. I'm amazed at how well this show did. We talk about how shows with a large black cast don't usually do so well critically and in terms of ratings, so what was the magic ingredient that made this one so popular? Is amazing writing really all a show needs to appeal to white audiences?

But then again, didn't that JJ Abrams show have really good writing and directing? What do you guys think.

Dreams-Visions said:
Yea. I don't know too many educated people giving their children "home grown" names.

In fact, I don't think I've ever seen it.

as for Shandeus...I liken him to a small child. It makes his unlearned posts easier to read.
He is a college dropout if that means anything. He's a really bright kid too, he just doesn't dedicate himself to school.

It's one of my pet peeves seeing a bright young person not in school if they have the chance.

If there's a quick solution to ridding the world of ghetto names, count me in. No more Shaniqua's or Shao'Khan etc whatever lol

Lebron

lightless_shado said:
But on one hand, he does help keep the thread on life support
I rather stay lost in the shadow realm than have to see whatever that thing has to say, and I can't avoid it since people always quote it :(

As for names, The only thing that rivals ghetto ass names are JRPG names. Edge Maverick. I so want to name my son that and bust the "problem?" face out anytime he asks why I did such a thing. The best ghetto ones are the ones named after cars. So stupid that you just can't help but laugh.

spindashing said:
He is a college dropout if that means anything. He's a really bright kid too, he just doesn't dedicate himself to school.
well in that case, just email him the studies on how ethnicity-identifying names hurt job prospects. he'll meditate on it and change his tune on this issue without even being told.

spindashing said:

It's one of my pet peeves seeing a bright young person not in school if they have the chance.

If there's a quick solution to ridding the world of ghetto names, count me in. No more Shaniqua's or Shao'Khan etc whatever lol

I know a guy who just has natural intelligence. He can think quickly on his feet and he's got a good memory, he even worked hard in HS so he could graduate early. He could be up in university or something, but he's been between jobs and living with his parents. He's not black though, it would probably bother me a lot more if he was.

And on the subject of names, I have no idea why so many people think adding Le, La, D', Da, or De to a name makes it more unique. Lashawn, Letaylor, D'mario, Daryan etc. Still though, better than some names that I've seen people from all races give their kids. I know someone who named her son Jade

Lebron

My mom said that this girl she interviewed once name was, De'ville(after the car), but she pronounced it "Da-veil." HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT EVEN WORK??

Chris Rock is right, we losing this war.

Lebron said:
My mom said that this girl she interviewed once name was, De'ville(after the car), but she pronounced it "Da-veil." HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT EVEN WORK??

We are outnumbered and under-supplied.

I really need to get back to speaking in High Schools and doing the Big Brothers thing. I tapered off after college...but the need for more male role models certainly didn't.

Lebron said:

In high school, there was a girl in one of my classes named La-a....feel free to take a guess on how to pronounce that.

Lebron said:

I have no idea where its coming from. In the 60s,70s, and 80s most black people in America named their children after Abrahamic religious figures so people from Islam, or Christianity. Or some people named their children after people from Ancient times(Cesar,Marcus,Horus,Ramses etc.)

This also reminds me of a segment from the freakonomics movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyc4iswrCL4&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goGe0CbARDE

bobbychalkers said:
In high school, there was a girl in one of my classes named La-a....feel free to take a guess on how to pronounce that.

The fuck......?

Well the worst name I've come across is probably E'tiarra, sound like a name that would be given to some hoodrat alien or something

lightless_shado said:
I have no idea where its coming from. In the 60s,70s, and 80s most black people in America named their children after Abrahamic religious figures so people from Islam, or Christianity. Or some people named their children after people from Ancient times(Cesar,Marcus,Horus,Ramses etc.)

ah, I never knew this. I guess that would kinda help explain the meaning behind the names of me and my sisters

Parallax

spindashing said:

tell me you were just kidding about someone naming their child after a mortal kombat character...

Parallax said:
tell me you were just kidding about someone naming their child after a mortal kombat character...
LOL, I was kidding.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Shao'Khan running around though.

Damn, if my dad was named Shao'Khan, I wouldn't know whether to be scared shitless of him or to laugh when I find out the name's origin.

Times like this that I like that I have a generic name. Got picked on during the kid years for it looking/sounding "white" though, when infact there's a lot of black men with my name.

Parallax

spindashing said:
LOL, I was kidding.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Shao'Khan running around though.

Damn, if my dad was named Shao'Khan, I wouldn't know whether to be scared shitless of him or to laugh when I find out the name's origin.

Times like this that I like that I have a generic name. Got picked on during the kid years for it looking/sounding "white" though, when infact there's a lot of black men with my name.

good. im glad we havent digressed that badly.

to be honest, kids will fuck with you for whatever reasons. nothing special about my last name, and i got a stupid nickname out of it.

msv

Haha, woa. So weird seeing this thread here, everybody talking racist as hell by GAF standards, but somehow it's taken seriously.

Top Bottom