• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Tokubetsu

kWKwP.gif

I can't wait for some stupid shit to happen if Shanadeus is banned. If he was banned for trolling here (and everywhere else in GAF) - and rightfully so, mind you - I'm sure more than a few people would make sure to reference this thread as the reason why.

And that would suck, given what happened to the original Negro-Age thread.

Shanadeus

Banned
Alright, I'll take it easy with the questions from now on.

Let's talk about delicous ethnic foods instead!

Rice and Peas - A Caribbean Staple
caribbean-rice-and-peas-recipe.jpg

Ingredients:

1 1/2 Cups Dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight
1 Clove garlic, crushed
Salt to taste
1/2 Cups Un-sweetened coconut milk
2 Scallions, chopped
2 Sprigs fresh thyme
1 Whole Scotch Bonnet Chili ( Habanero peppers can be substituted )
Black pepper to taste
2 cups Long-grain white rice

Cooking Method:

1. Boil the beans, garlic and salt until the beans are tender.
2. Save three cups of the liquid, discarding the garlic. Return the beans and the three cups liquid to the pot (if there's not enough of the cooking liquid use water), along with the coconut milk, scallions, thyme, chili, and black pepper and salt to taste.
3. When it comes to a boil, add in the rice.
4. Let it boil for 20 minutes, then remove it from the heat and let it sit for 15 minutes.
5. Fluff the rice and peas with a fork.
6. Serve immediatley

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Shanadeus said:

Rice and Peas - A Caribbean Staple
caribbean-rice-and-peas-recipe.jpg

Ingredients:

1 1/2 Cups Dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight
1 Clove garlic, crushed
Salt to taste
1/2 Cups Un-sweetened coconut milk
2 Scallions, chopped
2 Sprigs fresh thyme
1 Whole Scotch Bonnet Chili ( Habanero peppers can be substituted )
Black pepper to taste
2 cups Long-grain white rice

Cooking Method:

1. Boil the beans, garlic and salt until the beans are tender.
2. Save three cups of the liquid, discarding the garlic. Return the beans and the three cups liquid to the pot (if there's not enough of the cooking liquid use water), along with the coconut milk, scallions, thyme, chili, and black pepper and salt to taste.
3. When it comes to a boil, add in the rice.
4. Let it boil for 20 minutes, then remove it from the heat and let it sit for 15 minutes.
5. Fluff the rice and peas with a fork.
6. Serve immediatley

Oh jesus.

Shanadeus said:

Oh lawd.

You're not even asking a question.

EDIT: Never heard of putting chili powder in rice and peas though...

Shanadeus said:
I apologize profusely for any hurt feelings that I might have caused but I really don't know much about black culture as you might tell.
I very rarely see black people around here so I've never had the chance of befriend one and find out for myself how things are and aren't.

Can someone explain to me the fascination with "rims"?
Always wondered about what's so great about them in shows such as "Pimp my ride".
I actually don't have a very good answer for this. If i were to offer my conjecture (pure conjecture):

Cars are expensive generally speaking, poorer urban communities don't have a lot of money to spend on expensive brands and new vehicles...so people look for some other way to express themselves. But the desire for individuality (Peacock theory) and a general appreciation for wheels (which are relatively affordable and add a lot to the look of a car) lead to the growth of their popularity as a focal point in urban culture. It then took on a mind of its own.

Dreams-Visions said:
I actually don't have a very good answer for this. If i were to offer my conjecture (pure conjecture):

Cars are expensive generally speaking, poorer urban communities don't have a lot of money to spend on expensive brands and new vehicles...so people look for some other way to express themselves. But the desire for individuality (Peacock theory) and a general appreciation for wheels (which are relatively affordable and add a lot to the look of a car) lead to the growth of their popularity as a focal point in urban culture. It then took on a mind of its own.

Damn, brother went to hood college right here. Good answer.

I would've went with, "Cause that shit's fat, son!"

Shanadeus

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:

That was kinda what I thought, but I didn't want to assume anything.

Been looking up vegetarian Jambalya recipes and found this one:

vegetarian-jambalaya.crop4.jpg

Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 2 cups diced yellow onions
* 1 cup died red onions
* 1 cup diced bell peppers
* 1 cup diced celery
* 2 cups diced eggplant
* 1 cup diced yellow squash
* 1 cup diced Italian squash
* 1 tbsp minced garlic
* 2 tbsp minced shallots
* 3 cups chopped tomatoes or 24 oz canned diced tomatoes
* 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
* 2 tbsp creole seasoning (no salt)
* 1/2 tsp dried thyme
* 3 dried bay leaves
* 4 cups long grain rice rinsed
* 1 cup tomato paste
* 8 cups vegetable stock

Method:

Heat tomato paste in a sauce pan over medium heat stirring constantly until it changes to a dark rich red color. Add a little bit of the vegetable stock to deglaze and mix with the rest of the stock until blended. Set aside.

Heat oil in a LARGE (this makes 12 servings and remember, rice expands) pot over medium heat. Add onions, shallots, bell peppers, and garlic. Saute until tender and onions are transparent. Add eggplant, squash and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes or until veggies are tender. Add creole seasoning, bay leaves, and rice. Mix thoroughly and let it cook for another 5 minutes. Add stock, cover and cook for 35 minutes.

This is important. Never lift the lid while it's cooking. Set a timer. Once it's ready, immediately remove from heat and let it sit for another 20 minutes. There will still be a lot of liquid left so letting it cook in its own steam will make wonderfully fluffy rice.
_______

So delicious.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Wow. He fucking asked a question about rims? Hilarious. And where the hell is msv? I wanna know how we are being racist.

So to get a pass at trolling here you have to be a gimmick and have a couple of people circle jerking over your posts ?

e- Ah he's banned now.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Devolution said:
I don't think I've posted in here yet besides chiding Shan, what's up in here anyway.
Devolution, please tell me you're a sister. please. that's the only way i could like more.

Veidt

yea. he's there right now. I don't think he meant it as a racist thing. He's from Sweden or something. There's hardly any black people there, except maybe for some Somalis, but they have a more middle-eastern/african culture.

Which is strange, because that alone should tell him that black people on earth, are way too diverse to lump together.

Oh the irony! Black people are the most culturally and genetically diverse group of people on earth, yet they have the most stereotypes associated with them.

Veidt said:
Oh the irony! Black people are the most culturally and genetically diverse group of people on earth, yet they have the most stereotypes associated with them.

White people just don't understand.

Also on a serious note how do you guys feel about artwork or old printed stuff with racist portrayals?

Like this:
racism-on-cruise-control.jpg

One of my friend's aunts collects it while I know some others who would rather burn the stuff.

StinkFist

Banned
Of course it wasn't a permanent ban, cause you need to do system wars or a gay joke to be permanent banned. Indirectly attacking black folks, slap on the wrist.

Veidt

Devolution said:

Also on a serious note how do you guys feel about artwork or old printed stuff with racist portrayals?

Like this:

One of my friend's aunts collects it while I know some others who would rather burn the stuff.

I grew up in a place where shit like this:

zwart-piet.jpg

Was part of a national holiday. So I don't really care for cartoons.

Devolution said:

Imo, that kind of stuff can stay in the past. I find it strange that people would collect something like that.

However, some of the music I listen to contains deragatory language. So, who am I to judge?

My sister-in-law once took the wife and I to a Kara Walker exhibit. Man, that was some strong stuff. I don't regret seeing it, but I'm not sure I'd go back.

Shanadeus said:
I apologize profusely for any hurt feelings that I might have caused but I really don't know much about black culture as you might tell.
I very rarely see black people around here so I've never had the chance of befriend one and find out for myself how things are and aren't.

Can someone explain to me the fascination with "rims"?
Always wondered about what's so great about them in shows such as "Pimp my ride".

Shanadeus said:
Speaking of black stylings:

Is it true that some black women seek up white men just so that their kids will have straight hair?
It's one of the weirdest stereotypes I've ever heard.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!! Was he being serious!?!?!?!?!?!?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Veidt said:
yea. he's there right now. I don't think he meant it as a racist thing. He's from Sweden or something. There's hardly any black people there, except maybe for some Somalis, but they have a more middle-eastern/african culture.

Which is strange, because that alone should tell him that black people on earth, are way too diverse to lump together.

he had a funny way of asking his questions. he acted like he was jane goodall or something

Devolution said:

Like this:

seeing as how tintin was rarely like that, and awesome the rest, id give it a pass. minstel show stuff kinda freaks me out, but what can you do.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Lol, just saw them. He asked for backup in this thread saying people were misunderstanding his intentions yet he didn't say that here? Wtf.

Yeah. None of us take him serious. You should see what he says on IRC.

Devolution said:

Like this:

They interest me, actually. I've never heard of people actually collecting things like these, but then again there exist people who collect Nazi and Ku Klux Klan memorabilia out there.

Mononofu

Devolution said:

Like this:

Never really bothered me personally, It's another part of history. Kinda of like the "Censored Eleven" I don't think they should be erased because some may find them offensive.

computers putin' said:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!! Was he being serious!?!?!?!?!?!?

Those are legit questions. I hear black women say that shit about the kids hair all the time. If that's what he/she was banned for y'all some sensitive folk.

StinkFist said:
This world needs a Black Illuminati. Wealthy, smart, open minded Brothers and sisters to fix those little annoying issues the general public doesn't hear about. When I'm done with my schooling, I have to join a big brother program.

While that would be awesome. You think "they" will allow something like that to exist? If you thought they went after the black panthers hard...

daffy

Banned
Oh cool, just cool, 300 trolls enter the My Little Pony thread and survive off of hope and vigor. My Little Pony fan enters thread and is banned when he could've been ignored.

Cool.

Veidt

Lebron said:
l4ISy.jpg

Fuck Toriyama
Piccolo was the real brotha holding shit down
haha. shit man, it's insane how everyone sees piccolo as the one black dude in DBZ.

Top Bottom