• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Right now I'm talking to a girl and I remember how impressed(I guess that's the word) she was with my manner of speech. I suppose she hasn't spoke with or dated many guys other then the ones around the city. I guess its really more of an exposure kind of thing.

spindashing said:
Whoa

Whoa. Whoa.

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

Pause the conversation. Someone said that they don't like motherfucking watermelon?

I expect you to gather all your stuff. . .

Watermelon is overrated, cantaloupe or honeydew are the superior melon.

deal-with-it.gif

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
spindashing said:
Whoa

Whoa. Whoa.

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

Pause the conversation. Someone said that they don't like motherfucking watermelon?

I expect you to gather all your stuff. . .

Don't like it? Hell, I'm allergic to the shit

TacticalFox88 said:
I love being tall(6'3"), but I hate when people ask do I play basketball, and then I tell them no, and they look at me like I grown a second head or some shit.

I get this all the time. I'm 6'3 also and people say I'm basically tall for nothing. I love being tall though. Especially when you're with a "shorty". ;)

Ryuuga

Banned
eternaLightness said:
I get this all the time. I'm 6'3 also and people say I'm basically tall for nothing. I love being tall though. Especially when you're with a "shorty". ;)

6'4 and I fully endorse this last bit.

USD

soundscream said:
Watermelon is overrated, cantaloupe or honeydew are the superior melon.
You just made me gag in my mouth. Watermelon is a bit overrated, as there are plenty of tastier fruits (still like it though). But honeydew? Cantaloupe, really? Come on son.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Urban Scholar said:
I love how we can get into serious debate over foods in here.

food is no joke here, that's why you always stayed out the kitchen when moms was cooking

Smh you are all the softest niggas ever.

I am the softest, but those who hate watermelon can take a step to the back. <3

Looking at the list of ethnic slurs: my favorite slur for blacks is "coon." I'm not sure why, but I am dying for someone to call me a "coon" so I can bust a gut laughing. It looks so funny to me, even if I know its roots.

Southern University's athletic director was arrested in Houston the other day on charges of prostitution. An undercover cop posed as a street walker. Come on son, if you are gonna get it on with a working girl, you have the bank to get something other than a $20 ho. So we don't have a chancellor, and we may be about to lose our AD. SU Pride.

SmokyDave

samus i am said:
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm trying to think of anything that can be a positive from this situation but I can't. Single black 20 year old with a baby, dammit.
It ain't easy but you need to be there to support her, especially if she's going to lose friends / respect over this. That's what a big brother does when his little sister fucks up. Try not to let her see how disappointed you are.

Bleepey

samus i am said:
I just got the word that my little sister is gonna be a baby mama :/

I am sorry man. Do you know if the father will be around?

I am scared of getting a girl pregnant cos that would be a really bad example to set for my little brother.

SmokyDave said:
It ain't easy but you need to be there to support her, especially if she's going to lose friends / respect over this. That's what a big brother does when his little sister fucks up. Try not to let her see how disappointed you are.
Thanks. I am going to try to follow this advice. I just found out last night and it took everything I had not to call her and chew her out

@Bleepey

Frow what I understand this guy is a broke waiter that lives at home. My parents have to pay the doctor bills which upsets me as well.

At least her family will be supporting her. So many young ladies out there who are raising their child on their own with no support has to be horrible. I knew a girl like that.

StinkFist

Banned
Watermelons? Yuk.
Grapes and Mangos is the sheeeeeiit.

Oh and fried chicken is cool for Superbowls and eating at a bar, but my family prefers steak or baked chicken (maybe cause where Haitian?)

StinkFist said:
Watermelons? Yuk.
Grapes and Mangos is the sheeeeeiit.

Oh and fried chicken is cool for Superbowls and eating at a bar, but my family prefers steak or baked chicken (maybe cause where Haitian?)
Brown rice + Chicken with some banan peze is the best food known to man. Some fried sweet potato here and there is even more good.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Big Baybee said:
Southern University's athletic director was arrested in Houston the other day on charges of prostitution. An undercover cop posed as a street walker. Come on son, if you are gonna get it on with a working girl, you have the bank to get something other than a $20 ho. So we don't have a chancellor, and we may be about to lose our AD. SU Pride.

Wow. So he came down here for the Final Four and hit the stroll?

Here is the story - http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7506663.html

They had a huge party going on downtown with plenty of alcohol, music and undercover cops, I guess. Dude probably was drinking and got caught up. Gotta be more careful than that.

Remember the girl that said I was the whitest black person she knew? She actually apologized to me today. o_O

To say I was surprised would've been an understatement. I didn't even give a hint that I was angry at what she said. Holy shit. Maybe there IS hope

LosDaddie

Banned
Mononofu said:
Does anyone buy fried chicken at Publix or am I alone on this?

Yes, but I'd still give Popeyes spicy chicken the slight edge. Only Publix brand though. No other grocery brand comes close.

iavi

Mononofu said:
I haven't eaten at Popeye's since I was a teenager. :p Speaking of homemade it's about time I try Beer-Battered Fried Chicken

46171.jpg

nom

This man knows what he's talking about. Beer-batter chicken strips + Crystal hot sauce + sweet baby rays = fucking heaven. Seriously, just thinking about it is making me hungry.

I don't know of any restaurant that serves it though.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
eternaLightness said:
Is it a shame I still have yet to have chicken and waffles before?
me neither

hell, every time i go to IHOP with friends, i dont order breakfast, i just get that half chicken :D

Azure J

The last page or so of responses has been a fun read and speaks to many interesting sides of myself.

- Publix Fried Chicken is one of the few reasons why heading to the middle of nowhere Ocala, Florida to stay with my aunt on vacation is so worth it. On that note, anyone ever been to Newberry BBQ? They serve the meanest pulled pork sandwiches there, good God.

Finally beer battered catfish is my addiction. Hell, I love fish in general, but a good piece of beer battered catfish will put a smile on my face instantly.

- Tall girls are awesome. I remember I was crushing hard on this one girl back through high school. She was 6' 1 (no lies), slender, athletic as hell with a cute smile and a life affirmingly nice ass. General awkwardness and getting used to the world (sheltered first gen kids have it rough, lol) worked against me and nothing happened even though we did get friendly somewhat. In some respects though, I kinda blame those high school experiences for loving tall girls now. Oh, before I forget, 6' 1" here.

- I loved Hip-Hop before I understood what rap was. Like at one point, I was just entranced by the backing tracks, beats, and instrumentals that made up rap but the lyrics were lost or too much to me. I also really love the "mixed"-ness of the culture, but God forbid you get caught in that one situation where you're either "becoming the stereotype" when dealing with people who are "too above that hippity-hop nonsense" or "acting black" when around folks who don't know or see you as the type to like it.

- Want funny looks? Try growing up with a goal like making video games or maybe dabbling in animation as your motivation. Everyone from family to friends to even teachers and counselors you speak with don't know where the fuck to send you next when you want to reach out. There's also all kinds of ignorance to deal with (thankfully nothing that can't get a good laugh from me), my favorites being "that shit is for kids nigga", "what's a grown man doing playin' games/doing cartoons", or "You can do better."

"What's better?"

"Doctor/Lawyer/Politics"

Oh and I still want to roll around one day blasting something crazy just for the looks, like the opening for One Piece. :lol

Thank God for GAF though, it's so diverse and finding other diverse black members is still a great experience for me.

TacticalFox88 said:
Remember the girl that said I was the whitest black person she knew? She actually apologized to me today. o_O

To say I was surprised would've been an understatement. I didn't even give a hint that I was angry at what she said. Holy shit. Maybe there IS hope

That's awesome :D

Top Bottom