• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Dreams-Visions said:
oh and Publix makes excellent chicken.
Yes I like their Chicken right after Popeyes.
samus i am said:
I just got the word that my little sister is gonna be a baby mama :/
My sister got stuck with some dead beat in and out of jail but the kid turned out to be so cute and now she is with a guy who is doing right by her. So all is not lost bra.
DrFunk said:
Find a Gladys Knight's Chicken and Waffles
Rocoe's >>>>>>> Gladys and I've eaten at both.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
AzureJericho said:
- I loved Hip-Hop before I understood what rap was. Like at one point, I was just entranced by the backing tracks, beats, and instrumentals that made up rap but the lyrics were lost or too much to me. I also really love the "mixed"-ness of the culture, but God forbid you get caught in that one situation where you're either "becoming the stereotype" when dealing with people who are "too above that hippity-hop nonsense" or "acting black" when around folks who don't know or see you as the type to like it.

i love hip hop, i just cant stand the ones at the front of it all now. thats why i stick to beats and instrumentals for the moment.

Ryuuga

Banned
AzureJericho said:
- Want funny looks? Try growing up with a goal like making video games or maybe dabbling in animation as your motivation. Everyone from family to friends to even teachers and counselors you speak with don't know where the fuck to send you next when you want to reach out. There's also all kinds of ignorance to deal with (thankfully nothing that can't get a good laugh from me), my favorites being "that shit is for kids nigga", "what's a grown man doing playin' games/doing cartoons", or "You can do better.".

Nice to know someone has been living my life up to this point.

Off-topic but recently picked up Lupe's album last weekend and absolutely loved this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71McnVwWPwU

AzureJericho said:
- Want funny looks? Try growing up with a goal like making video games or maybe dabbling in animation as your motivation. Everyone from family to friends to even teachers and counselors you speak with don't know where the fuck to send you next when you want to reach out. There's also all kinds of ignorance to deal with (thankfully nothing that can't get a good laugh from me), my favorites being "that shit is for kids nigga", "what's a grown man doing playin' games/doing cartoons", or "You can do better."

Lol. This reminds me of this one time I got called a nerd because I was listening to Nine Inch Nails... :(

Bleepey

TacticalFox88 said:
Remember the girl that said I was the whitest black person she knew? She actually apologized to me today. o_O

To say I was surprised would've been an understatement. I didn't even give a hint that I was angry at what she said. Holy shit. Maybe there IS hope

How can she not realise you were pissed? You got up and just left her

aktham

TacticalFox88 said:
Remember the girl that said I was the whitest black person she knew? She actually apologized to me today. o_O

To say I was surprised would've been an understatement. I didn't even give a hint that I was angry at what she said. Holy shit. Maybe there IS hope

You're a better man that me. I had a similar story, but with a different result lol.

I had my friend's GF (both of them are white) say that to me. She said that I act white in a way that white=success. I tore her a new asshole. My friend didn't talk to me again until they broke up (2 weeks later on an unrelated matter).

perfectnight said:
Lol. This reminds me of this one time I got called a nerd because I was listening to Nine Inch Nails... :(

What? Is this some "you don't listen to hiphop you are a nerd" nonsense?

NIN isn't "nerdy", if you want to be an asshole you call someone 'emo' for listening to NIN.

Devolution said:

NIN isn't "nerdy", if you want to be an asshole you call someone 'emo' for listening to NIN.

Yes. I thought it was funny lol

AzureJericho said:
The last page or so of responses has been a fun read and speaks to many interesting sides of myself.

- Publix Fried Chicken is one of the few reasons why heading to the middle of nowhere Ocala, Florida to stay with my aunt on vacation is so worth it. On that note, anyone ever been to Newberry BBQ? They serve the meanest pulled pork sandwiches there, good God.

Finally beer battered catfish is my addiction. Hell, I love fish in general, but a good piece of beer battered catfish will put a smile on my face instantly.

- Tall girls are awesome. I remember I was crushing hard on this one girl back through high school. She was 6' 1 (no lies), slender, athletic as hell with a cute smile and a life affirmingly nice ass. General awkwardness and getting used to the world (sheltered first gen kids have it rough, lol) worked against me and nothing happened even though we did get friendly somewhat. In some respects though, I kinda blame those high school experiences for loving tall girls now. Oh, before I forget, 6' 1" here.

- I loved Hip-Hop before I understood what rap was. Like at one point, I was just entranced by the backing tracks, beats, and instrumentals that made up rap but the lyrics were lost or too much to me. I also really love the "mixed"-ness of the culture, but God forbid you get caught in that one situation where you're either "becoming the stereotype" when dealing with people who are "too above that hippity-hop nonsense" or "acting black" when around folks who don't know or see you as the type to like it.

- Want funny looks? Try growing up with a goal like making video games or maybe dabbling in animation as your motivation. Everyone from family to friends to even teachers and counselors you speak with don't know where the fuck to send you next when you want to reach out. There's also all kinds of ignorance to deal with (thankfully nothing that can't get a good laugh from me), my favorites being "that shit is for kids nigga", "what's a grown man doing playin' games/doing cartoons", or "You can do better."

"What's better?"

"Doctor/Lawyer/Politics"

Oh and I still want to roll around one day blasting something crazy just for the looks, like the opening for One Piece. :lol

Thank God for GAF though, it's so diverse and finding other diverse black members is still a great experience for me.

I heard that from friends, not from family. They don't laugh now, though. Gaming pays.

And music? I'm all over. I have Nas, Daft Punk, Godsmack, Sevendust, Disturbed, Mobb Deep, Jay-Z and Timabland on the same playlist.

Haters? Yep. THAT'S WHEN I TURN IT UP

Mononofu

Devolution said:

I would consider most classical music "nerdy" or a band like Talking Heads. (in a good way)
Over the years I've tried to listen to a bit of everything and got a lot of strange reactions too.

My favorite: IS THAT MUSIC???

Black guys!
Any of you get a haircut and all of a sudden people want to rub your hair? I just got one (basically a 1 at the barber) and now everyone is like "Your hair feels awesome". It's kinda funny. It happens every time

<--- new name, same face

TacticalFox88 said:

Ah, guess she thought she knew you well enough to crack those kinds of jokes? That's cool she apologized, she mighta been worrying about it all night.

There's a couple of white people who are close enough to bust the race jokes with, but it's usually after a long screening process.

Lebron

I'm still mad Bojangles' doesn't know Texas exist. We still got Frenchys and Popeyes though, which is enough I guess.

Devolution said:
Since we're still on the topic of food how do you guys feel about Down Home with the Neely's?
Their food sucks.

Zoramon089 said:
Black guys!
Any of you get a haircut and all of a sudden people want to rub your hair? I just got one (basically a 1 at the barber) and now everyone is like "Your hair feels awesome". It's kinda funny. It happens every time

It feels like a brillo pad and those of us who aren't black find it kind of weird (not in a you're weird way but in a we don't experience this way). In fact one of my friends would call my other friend "Brillo." lol.

Lebron

Zoramon089 said:
Black guys!
I let them touch it, they seem to enjoy it. The black females I know on the other hand? Sure, if you want to wake up in hell a second later.

I haven't been to a barber shop in ages though. Been self cutting for like 5 years now. I miss the random crap that went on in the shop.

Zoramon089 said:
Black guys!
Especially if you have waves. White girls down in SC, LOVE to feel the waves.

Mononofu

Lebron said:
I let them touch it, they seem to enjoy it. The black females I know on the other hand? Sure, if you want to wake up in hell a second later.

I haven't been to a barber shop in ages though. Been self cutting for like 5 years now. I miss the random crap that went on in the shop.

lol I would feel special if any female wanted to touch my hair cuz all I ever got were dudes man.

Azure J

Boombloxer said:
I heard that from friends, not from family. They don't laugh now, though. Gaming pays.

And music? I'm all over. I have Nas, Daft Punk, Godsmack, Sevendust, Disturbed, Mobb Deep, Jay-Z and Timabland on the same playlist.

Haters? Yep. THAT'S WHEN I TURN IT UP

One of the best things to happen imo though was this gen in gaming. I'm really happy that it kinda "moved on up" and became so huge, even if it makes it harder for the little guys like me to get in on things. :p

My music tastes are so everywhere, it'd be crazy to list without screen caps. I'll say this much for now though, my recently played iTunes list has artists Dvorak, Nujabes, Nas, Damien Marley, Ali Project, T.M. Revolution, Fall Out Boy, Lady Gaga, Kanye, Tetsuya Shibata, Hideki Naganuma, Lupe & Masashi Hamauzu dominating the list.

AzureJericho said:
One of the best things to happen imo though was this gen in gaming. I'm really happy that it kinda "moved on up" and became so huge, even if it makes it harder for the little guys like me to get in on things. :p

My music tastes are so everywhere, it'd be crazy to list without screen caps. I'll say this much for now though, my recently played iTunes list has artists Dvorak, Nujabes, Nas, Damien Marley, Ali Project, T.M. Revolution, Fall Out Boy, Lady Gaga, Kanye, Tetsuya Shibata, Hideki Naganuma, Lupe & Masashi Hamauzu dominating the list.

Definitely. My Wife games, and one of the titles that really hooked her was U2 multi, she's like 75 or 77 (cap is 80), but in general, it's been great. This gen has seen a ton of gems.

Now if I could just stop people from saying "Ur job iz easy, you just play games all day lolz". If only.

Lebron said:

Damn that's awesome. I've always wanted to learn how to do it myself but I always pussy out because I don't want to fuck up and have to wear a cap for a month.

Boombloxer said:
Daft Punk

That's my shit! My favorite track from homework is Da Funk

That beat is so sick.

I can't even remember a time if people ever wanted to touch my hair, but I do always get it cut short. Been thinking about trying bald out since my hair is dry and none of the stuff I put in it seem to work (20yr old).

I don't think i could get into hard rock, I just prefer softer, more melodic music nowadays. It's also the reason why I gravitate more towards R&B( more old school or indie stuff than mainstream ) than rap now, just don't feel like listening to the "hard" stuff

Jayayess1190 said:
I can't even remember a time if people ever wanted to touch my hair, but I do always get it cut short. Been thinking about trying bald out since my hair is dry and none of the stuff I put in it seem to work (20yr old).
I have this special stuff I rub in my hair after I shower. Its both a moisturizer and conditioner. Makes my hair easier to manage seeing as I haven't cut it in over 6 months.

Name escapes me at the moment.

Ah this reminds me, I used to use Murrays for my fro. That stuffs kinda sticky, but if applied in the shower, it'd go in evenly and look pretty pimp.

I might get back into that as my hair is a little out of control atm.

zero_suit

Half-and-half said:
Ah this reminds me, I used to use Murrays for my fro. That stuffs kinda sticky, but if applied in the shower, it'd go in evenly and look pretty pimp.

I might get back into that as my hair is a little out of control atm.

I use that all the time. Why did you stop using it?

AzureJericho said:

?! brother!

Top Bottom