• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

TacticalFox88 said:
Especially if you have waves. White girls down in SC, LOVE to feel the waves.
WHAT!!! Im trying to get waves right now..Just started like Sat LMAO...Anyways so what part of SC you from???? Im in Charleston...

Lebron

Sportin Waves or straight Vase, believe.

Damn that's awesome. I've always wanted to learn how to do it myself but I always pussy out because I don't want to fuck up and have to wear a cap for a month.
It's not that hard actually. I have one of those natural hairlines so I don't have to worry about edging up, cause lord knows I'd fuck that up if I had too :p

B1gg_Randall said:
Alright cool...So how did you get your waves...I got a lil something but I really dont know how to get the real good looking waves..
Basically, get the best wave grease for YOUR hair (trust me you'll know after trial and error). Don't let anyone fool you. There is no universal grease that works for everyone. ALWAYS have a fresh cut before trying this, as your waves will mess up if you have hair that's nappy and can't form straight. Now, wash your hair, make it damp with hot water, apply said grease that WORKS, and brush the living daylights out of it. It's going to be painful, but suck it up. Apply du-rag. Sleep. Now, when you wake up, brush again. You really don't need to put another coat of wave cream on it. Periodically throughout the day, brush, brush, brush, BRUSH. Rinse wash repeat for the next two weeks or so. If your dedicated, maybe less.

Keep in mind, this is how I did it. Adjust according to how your hair grows, is cut, etc.

Hope that helps

Lebron said:

It's not that hard actually. I have one of those natural hairlines so I don't have to worry about edging up, cause lord knows I'd fuck that up if I had too :p
You use Sportin Waves ok Ill try that..I wish I had that natural hairline..My shit grows back so fast..

TacticalFox88 said:
Basically, get the best wave grease for YOUR hair (trust me you'll know after trial and error). Don't let anyone fool you. There is no universal grease that works for everyone. ALWAYS have a fresh cut before trying this, as your waves will mess up if you have hair that's nappy and can't form straight. Now, wash your hair, make it damp with hot water, apply said grease that WORKS, and brush the living daylights. It's going to be painful, but suck it up. Apply du-rag. Sleep. Now, when you wake up, brush again. You really don't need to put another coat of wave cream on it. Periodically throughout the day, brush, brush, brush, BRUSH. Rinse wash repeat for the next two weeks or so. If your dedicated, maybe less.

Keep in mind, this is how I did it. Adjust according to how your hair grows, is cut, etc.

Hope that helps
DAMN I guess I was doing it wrong lol..Thanks alot...

Lebron

I had to give up wearing the du-rag overnight, that damn headache I would get would always wake me up.

I've gone on full work days and days at school where the hair stayed ok
Yeah, I never had to brush much when I had that stuff in my hair. Loved it. Though when it rain I have that white greasy shit running down my face looking all crazy hah

Lebron said:
I had to give up wearing the du-rag overnight, that damn headache I would get would always wake me up.
I remember having that shit on everynight when I use to have braids..lol
Edit:Oh shit u have a avatar that change lol..

Derwind

After like one night I had to change my du rag, I sweat something fierce while I sleep....

Btw, GAF, got my cornrows out the other day, feels sooooooooooooooooo good taking a shower without a showercap! ^_^

Whats up with brothers getting bejin? You know that fake hair in a can shit. I swear one of my boys go over board with it, i bet his barber run through about 2 cans

StinkFist

Banned
Question for the ex hardcore waves guys.

I use to do the waves thing serious. That's when my hair would do the curly brillo.
After god knows how long, I've quit the wave game/compition. My hair won't friggin curl anymore. It's lifeless straight. Is there anyone suffering from straight dead hair like myself?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
StinkFist said:

I use to do the waves thing serious. That's when my hair would do the curly brillo.
After god knows how long, I've quit the wave game/compition. My hair won't friggin curl anymore. It's lifeless straight. Is there anyone suffering from straight dead hair like myself?

yessir. my waves were natural. Fresh cut, little bit of Super Gro, and I was good...now that I'm older (27), my hair won't wave for shit, unless it grows for a month or more. It's cool though, for some reason, it's more easily maintained like this.

StinkFist said:

You can train your hair back to the way it originally was. Will it be easy? Probably not. Is it doable? Absolutely.

Lebron said:

I've been cutting my own hair for a while now and edging up is the easiest part for me.......

Back in my teenage years, I was all about the waves(and fades). The last several years, I've been getting hair cut low, one level all around....just a clean shaven look.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Lebron said:
Hit em with that stanky.

see me with that nonsense.

MWS Natural said:
Random ATL wing shack in the hood > 90% of hot wings in the US.
atl has wing shacks too? i really need to make a trip one day

Devolution said:
You know what place seems super shady and gross though? Church's Chicken. Might just be here though.

churches down here in la are like pioneer used to be. that is only found in hood areas. a shady chicken joint down here is golden bird or louisianas. places where theres a good chance something could jump off

Y'know, I never did the waves thing.

My dad never liked it if I did...well, anything at all to my hair. He'd slap the fire out of me if I put lines or designs in it, so I never did waves. My hair is naturally wavy though; I get my customary light caesar, and brush/comb that shit every day, once or twice a day.

...whatever, don't hate. Ladies dig the hair.

StinkFist said:

Why not just shave it? It should grow back normal. Unless you plan on jazzing it up by dying it white and looking like a anime character. lol

Waves guys I envy you, I remember trying in my teen years and failing. I would then look at my cousin that didn't have to do much work for his : /

I'm kinda a boring guy when it comes to my hair.

It's always a shave cut that may or may not look perfect. I guess I do it more for the convenience of not dealing with hair more than anything.

NotebookJ2 said:
I'm kinda a boring guy when it comes to my hair.

It's always a shave cut that may or may not look perfect. I guess I do it more for the convenience of not dealing with hair more than anything.

Hey nothing wrong with that.

One plus to being black is pulling off the nappy hair. Sometimes however it settles after a shower is exactly how I'm going to work.

I get waves as soon as I get a haircut, lol. They're faint, but obvious.

I never got serious about waves, though. I think I'll try to rock waves seriously the next time I get a haircut which'll be in two or so weeks.

Shape ups... My shit grows too quick. I'd be wasting money every few days but good thing my sister can do it, LOL.

How often do you guys shave, by the way? I shave once a week, but I am thinking of changing that up to twice a week because I hate the itchy feeling at the end of the week.

I also hopped to the electric shaver route. Not that close a shave, but at least there aren't any razor bumps.

spindashing said:
How often do you guys shave, by the way? I shave once a week, but I am thinking of changing that up to twice a week because I hate the itchy feeling at the end of the week.

I shave once a week, so I have stubble most of the time...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
spindashing said:

lol, I wish I could shave once a week. Everyday, once a day minimum. I could shave twice a day, it's that bad. I guess I'm just too much man

DrFunk said:
lol, I wish I could shave once a week. Everyday, once a day minimum. I could shave twice a day, it's that bad. I guess I'm just too much man
Hot damn. Twice a day? That's some dedication. And I thought my hair grew quick...

I think I'll do it twice a week and see where that takes me. I don't like the stubble. It may look okay but it's too itchy. Scratching will leave bumps...

StinkFist

Banned
lightless_shado said:
Why not just shave it? It should grow back normal. Unless you plan on jazzing it up by dying it white and looking like a anime character. lol

I've had to shave my hair a few times due to bubble gum hair and bad cuts. Even then it won't curl. Right now I rock a light ceasar and won't have to worry about brushing for nearl three weeks. My sisters are baffled by this seeing that I use to have really kinky hair.

Oh and I will NEVER rock the baldy. Non of the men in my family from my mother or fathers side lose their hair. My style doesn't go well with a baldy. Plus my head has dips.

StinkFist

Banned
NotebookJ2 said:
Random question out of nowhere: have any of y'all ever been in marching band?

That's a southern thing, mostly. I'd die before I'd join a marching band.

Hair cuts in the hood cost about $10. If you go in to say Manhattan then be prepared to pay double. I cut my own hair, then have them shape me up.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
AzureJericho said:
- Want funny looks? Try growing up with a goal like making video games or maybe dabbling in animation as your motivation. Everyone from family to friends to even teachers and counselors you speak with don't know where the fuck to send you next when you want to reach out. There's also all kinds of ignorance to deal with (thankfully nothing that can't get a good laugh from me), my favorites being "that shit is for kids nigga", "what's a grown man doing playin' games/doing cartoons", or "You can do better."
It can be done. Thank the Lord for supportive parents, even if they didn't fully understand what I was doing for years.

AzureJericho said:
- Want funny looks? Try growing up with a goal like making video games or maybe dabbling in animation as your motivation. Everyone from family to friends to even teachers and counselors you speak with don't know where the fuck to send you next when you want to reach out. There's also all kinds of ignorance to deal with (thankfully nothing that can't get a good laugh from me), my favorites being "that shit is for kids nigga", "what's a grown man doing playin' games/doing cartoons", or "You can do better."

"What's better?"

"Doctor/Lawyer/Politics"

This is the reason why I enjoy going to elementary/middle schools and speaking out about game development, lol.

Let them know that "oh shit, you can actually make video games for a living? And actually be a minority doing so?"

So hopefully in 15 years they'll be doing their thing as well. The last Q/A thing I did was hilarious though. Kids basically thought there were only 3 total game developers in existence or something.

"Did you make Call of Duty Black Ops?"
"Did you make Grand Theft Auto San Andreas?"
"Did you make Halo Reach?"
"Did you make Scarface?"

lol at a group of 10-12 year olds all asking about M rated games

All that food talk going on in the thread I had to hop in the kitchen and throw down. As I always say, "Don't talk about it be about it!"
9MbU0l.jpg

BBQ Wings, Black Eyed Peas, Collards and Candied Yams :)

Purexed

Banned
This is easily my favorite thread on GAF right now, I need to contribute more.

Have any of you tried the Xotics brand of hair and shaving products? If you haven't, you're missing out on some good shit fellas. I stumbled on the brand from researching how to tune my Andis trimmers, and I heard nothing but great things about the products. I got the Sweet Jamila hair conditioner and the Shave Therapy before/aftershave lotion, and the it adds a not-too-shiny sheen and the smell is fantastic. Whenever I put it on, my wife goes nuts because of the aromatherapy action, kinda like those bullshit Axe commercials.

Put down the Sporting Waves and that other off the counter stuff, and get some Xotics by Curtis Smith. Thank me later.

Yo Gotti

Banned
MWS Natural said:
All that food talk going on in the thread I had to hop in the kitchen and throw down. As I always say, "Don't talk about it be about it!"
9MbU0l.jpg

BBQ Wings, Black Eyed Peas, Collards and Candied Yams :)

Damn that looks good right now.

DAMN!

Urban Scholar said:
Back to the facial hair thing, I sometimes don't like the fact the cards dealt me facial hair like Shaggy from Scooby Doo.....le sigh
Consider yourself lucky. Shaving is no fun, especially if you're like me and can't get a close shave lest razor burn litter your face with bumps and drive you into an itching frenzy.

I'm pretty hairy in general.

NotebookJ2 said:
Random question out of nowhere: have any of y'all ever been in marching band?

I wasn't, but there were plenty of brothers and sisters in the marching band at my high school. They definitely helped bring the football games alive. Some of the drum beats were so tight you could probably freestyle over them.

soul creator said:
This is the reason why I enjoy going to elementary/middle schools and speaking out about game development, lol.

Let them know that "oh shit, you can actually make video games for a living? And actually be a minority doing so?"

So hopefully in 15 years they'll be doing their thing as well. The last Q/A thing I did was hilarious though. Kids basically thought there were only 3 total game developers in existence or something.

"Did you make Call of Duty Black Ops?"
"Did you make Grand Theft Auto San Andreas?"
"Did you make Halo Reach?"
"Did you make Scarface?"

lol at a group of 10-12 year olds all asking about M rated games

The sergeant guy in Modern Warfare was also an employee of Infinity Ward. He also did the rap at the end. How cool is that?

Londa

Banned
Yesterday I was at gamestop that was inside of a mall, looking at some games on sale. When I get a tap on the shoulder. I was a little shocked, but I assumed it might be someone I know so I turned around. It was some stranger who was African and looked to be my fathers age. He taped me just to say "You look nice, don't cut your hair its long".

Sorry but I get annoyed with idiots do this. If you tap my arm you better be someone I know. Not some stranger from a different country who telling me shit I already know. I don't need their advice and I was already thinking of cutting my hair to be short curls.

Rant off

I guess guys with waves are good, but I honestly don't care or notice them at first. :p

Londa said:
Yesterday I was at gamestop that was inside of a mall, looking at some games on sale. When I get a tap on the shoulder. I was a little shocked, but I assumed it might be someone I know so I turned around. It was some stranger who was African and looked to be my fathers age. He taped me just to say "You look nice, don't cut your hair its long".

Err, far be it for me to say but why would one want to tell a lady this? You've dealt with this on the semi regular?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Urban Scholar said:
Back to the facial hair thing, I sometimes don't like the fact the cards dealt me facial hair like Shaggy from Scooby Doo.....le sigh

my beard does not grow in fully so i am force to look homeless or shave it off but then i get razor bumps. Went to dermatologist and got something to its helping a little but none of the otc things worked for me. Damn curly ass facial hair

Top Bottom