• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Some good looking brothers and sisters on GAF!
I always love it when they have those "Post pictures of yourself/gilfriend/chiapet" threads and there is comment comment comment comment black person no comment no comment moves on to comments on previous pictures lol.

Or if there is a comment it will be:

"Hey you look just like (famous black person you look NOTHING like)!!!!"

StinkFist

Banned
royalan said:
My mother's a hairstylist, so when I was younger and lived at home she had total control over my hair. That was all well and good with me, but when I moved away for college I was afraid of going to anyone else to get my hair cut. So I let it grow out and do its own thing, I just wash it regularly and toss in some pink lotion every now and then. I snip with scissors whenever it gets too unruly.

Now my hair is sort of my calling card. I love it. My mother? Not so much.

IMG00448.jpg

That's what you call one serious poker face. I'm not playing UNO with you, sir.

royalan

Londa said:
I think that you have a lot of confidence to rock that style.

Haha - My mother would call it "fOOlishness"

Funny thing is, my hair is pretty tame now. This time last year my hair looked a little something like this...

20652_746892145133_14204271_42303896_6079422_n.jpg

I wonder how many people you meet on the street are actually posters on forums as well. It boggles my mind some times when people tell me they like certain stuff. Though that's probably because even though I hate doing it, we all subconsciously stereotype.

StinkFist

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
I wonder how many people you meet on the street are actually posters on forums as well. It boggles my mind some times when people tell me they like certain stuff. Though that's probably because even though I hate doing it, we all subconsciously stereotype.

We are but simple human beings.
The real question is, how many gaffers do you live near...

Londa

Banned
I'm not friends with many females, but the females I am friends with have my same interest. But its rare to find someone like me who has NES under her bed. I hate that I have three game gear games but no game gear to play it on.

royalan said:
My mother's a hairstylist, so when I was younger and lived at home she had total control over my hair. That was all well and good with me, but when I moved away for college I was afraid of going to anyone else to get my hair cut. So I let it grow out and do its own thing, I just wash it regularly and toss in some pink lotion every now and then. I snip with scissors whenever it gets too unruly.

Now my hair is sort of my calling card. I love it. My mother? Not so much.

IMG00448.jpg

I hear you, when you've let someone style your hair, it's hard letting someone else touch it. That's why I learned to cut my own hair. One day I bought a pair of Wahl clippers and some Andi's T-liners and just went for it. It's not as hard as you would think it to be at first, still you have to be skilled for that "professional " look, but that's where practice comes in, and it's practice well worth it imo.

Since a couple of you have gone through this as well:

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/04/07/george-allen-race-sports/

Former Sen. George Allen (R-VA), who is running again for Senate in 2012, was called out in Twitter on Tuesday night for repeatedly questioning NBC4 anchor-reporter Craig Melvin about his nonexistent sports career. The Washington Post’s Tom Jackman reported on Allen’s apparent stereotyping of Melvin:

NBC 4’s reporter-anchor Craig Melvin is a tall African-American. Which apparently led to this exchange with former Sen. George Allen, according to Melvin’s Twitter account Tuesday night: “For the 2nd time in 5 months, fmr. gov. and sen candidate George Allen asks me,”what position did you play?” I did not a play a sport.”

UPDATE: The son of former Redskins coach George Allen apologized to Melvin. “@georgeallenva:sorry if I offended, ask people a lot if they played sports Grew up in fball family found sports banter good way to connect”

Just wow.

I was in Dunkin Doughnuts this morning waiting for my drink I flipped over a newspaper to see the top stories and it turned out it belonged to an old man who just appeared out of nowhere he wasn’t too pleased I touched his newspaper. What followed was a speech about how “you people” don’t have any respect or manners. I just smiled took my drink from the counter and said to the old man “God bless you and have a good day” he replied back with “there is no God”.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
awilliams213 said:
I was in Dunkin Doughnuts this morning waiting for my drink I flipped over a newspaper to see the top stories and it turned out it belonged to an old man who just appeared out of nowhere he wasn’t too pleased I touched his newspaper. What followed was a speech about how “you people” don’t have any respect or manners. I just smiled took my drink from the counter and said to the old man “God bless you and have a good day” he replied back with “there is no God”.

Byproduct of a generation that's slowly fading away. You handled it well. Not to mention he probably has a small penis.

awilliams213 said:

Don't worry about it. Old people are cynical and stubborn.

Londa said:
I'm not friends with many females, but the females I am friends with have my same interest. But its rare to find someone like me who has NES under her bed. I hate that I have three game gear games but no game gear to play it on.

Same here. Except I haven't been playing games for that long. My oldest console is my PS2.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
DrFunk said:
Byproduct of a generation that's slowly fading away. You handled it well. Not to mention he probably has a small penis.

except for the lack of a faith in god. thats usually prevalent amongst all old bigots

JCX

StinkFist said:
We are but simple human beings.
The real question is, how many gaffers do you live near...

I think I had two classes with a gaffer last semester, but I never said anything to him about gaf.

Good looking people in this thread. Yalls hair is a lot more interesting than I expected. I had to refrain from making any "good hair" comments (esp you Londa, do you have a little Indian in you? jk jk jk).

So the sista count is up to 4? Londa, Sciplore, ChocolateCupcakes and Mrs Manky? I can dig it...
help a brotha out with them digits..

NegroGAF
Respect

Anyway... Look where I went yesterday for dinner, guys:

S5SrO.jpg

dm6zW.jpg

Couldn't even finish it all, I had the itis soon after.

spindashing said:
So the sista count is up to 4? Londa, Sciplore, ChocolateCupcakes and Mrs Manky? I can dig it...
help a brotha out with them digits..

NegroGAF
NO Respect

Anyway... Look where I went yesterday for dinner, guys:

Man you need to come by so I can fix you a plate of real food bra. Stop eating that greasy steroid chicken and powdered macaroni and cheese.

Londa

Banned
Half-and-half said:
Good looking people in this thread. Yalls hair is a lot more interesting than I expected. I had to refrain from making any "good hair" comments (esp you Londa, do you have a little Indian in you? jk jk jk).
:p I giggled at that indian comment. You remembered.

Spin Iv'e been going organic cause I'm paranoid and I swear it makes me feel much lighter after eatting. So I would only go to KFC out of desparation.

MWS Natural said:
Man you need to come by so I can fix you a plate of real food bra. Stop eating that greasy steroid chicken and powdered macaroni and cheese.
Londa said:
Spin Iv'e been going organic cause I'm paranoid and I swear it makes me feel much lighter after eatting. So I would only go to KFC out of desparation.

If it's any consolation, I've met some new people this year and some of them happen to be blacks. Of course a chicken spot conversation came up between us and I started it by saying that I prefer KFC. In unison, they all didn't agree with me lol. A girl did note that it's easier to find a bad Popeyes but when you find a good one, there's no turning back.

Also MWS, my mama will cut my head off when she hears me going to another man's house for some chicken.

Speaking of my parents, they're pretty much anti-gay. I have no qualms with homosexuals myself so it is disheartening hearing them talk about people that are not straight in a negative light. A lot of the Caribbean culture is like that too, not to mention black people as a whole. I could point a finger at certain rap lyrics, but the media as a whole does a horrid job at badmouthing gays.

I had a mohawk haircut for only one day before my pops caught wind of it and told me I should cut it off saying he felt only gay people wore that style.

I miss that mohawk, but I guess it wouldn't have done me good whilst job hunting.

Londa

Banned
spindashing said:
If it's any consolation, I've met some new people this year and some of them happen to be blacks. Of course a chicken spot conversation came up between us and I started it by saying that I prefer KFC. In unison, they all didn't agree with me lol. A girl did note that it's easier to find a bad Popeyes but when you find a good one, there's no turning back.

Also MWS, my mama will cut my head off when she hears me going to another man's house for some chicken.

Speaking of my parents, they're pretty much anti-gay. I have no qualms with homosexuals myself so it is disheartening hearing them talk about people that are not straight in a negative light. A lot of the Caribbean culture is like that too, not to mention black people as a whole. I could point a finger at certain rap lyrics, but the media as a whole does a horrid job at badmouthing gays.

I had a mohawk haircut for only one day before my pops caught wind of it and told me I should cut it off saying he felt only gay people wore that style.

I miss that mohawk, but I guess it wouldn't have done me good whilst job hunting.

The mohawk does seem a little gay looking on black guys. I'm not sure why. Its weird.

spindashing said:

This is the main reason that I don't plan on coming out to any of my family. :C

Also,
spindashing said:
dm6zW.jpg

I prefer Popeye's, myself. Best biscuits.

guess

TacticalFox88 said:
It boggles my mind some times when people tell me they like certain stuff. Though that's probably because even though I hate doing it, we all subconsciously stereotype.

I mostly only post in the photography thread, and this was the first post after I posted a picture of myself.
Oh my god. In my head, you were totally a white chick. :O
Nope, not white or female.
I guess I take pictures of stereotypical "white chick" subjects. lol
I don't think so, I'm still trying to figure it out.

Londa, nice hair. :)

Beautiful sistas in GAF: greatest forum of all time.

Also, I just took this picture with the webcam in my netbook.

[edit]

ALSO FUCK KFC.

Londa

Banned
Thanks, but my hair is average tbh. My sis has cuter hair.

Here's hope that you get a new job soon with double the pay. :)

Imm0rt4l

captmcblack said:
Londa, nice hair. :)

Beautiful sistas in GAF: greatest forum of all time.

Also, I just took this picture with the webcam in my netbook. Applaud me, people - I lost my job yesterday!

:(

http://i.imgur.com/2jeNA.jpg[IMG]

ALSO FUCK KFC.[/QUOTE]

sorry to hear that man :(

Lebron

spindashing said:
The fact you could even start to begin with is amazing in itself. Though I did see a homeless man eating food out the trash the other day, so whatever works I guess.

*troll face*

Is it a blessing or a curse when people think you're younger than you are? People say I look 18 or 19 when I'm 25. I don't know whether that's a complement or an insult

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
TacticalFox88 said:
Is it a blessing or a curse when people think you're younger than you are? People say I look 18 or 19 when I'm 25. I don't know whether that's a complement or an insult
Black people don't age man. It's a blessing.

Lebron

You'll be swagging in your 30s looking like a young college student while they look like a ghoul out of scooby-doo.

Londa

Banned
Same here. People still think I'm in high school.

Lebron said:
You'll be swagging in your 30s looking like a young college student while they look like a ghoul out of scooby-doo.

lol

Tokubetsu

If I shave, I can't go anywhere/get into anything without being carded. If I had a nickel for everytime I've heard a bartender say "You look too young to be buying drinks"

Septy

Lebron said:

Yes, white people look like ghouls in their 30's, Yawn.

My father was 56 when I last saw him about a year ago, and when I saw him, I realized that he looks really young, like 15-20 years younger.

And digging up old pics of my mother from 15 years ago, she pretty much looks exactly the same now.

So no. Black don't crack.

Septy said:
Yes, white people look like ghouls in their 30's, Yawn.
I know your being sarcastic but yes I wouldn't even date a white girl my age because they look usually look old as hell. Maybe it's more pronounced here in Florida where it's sunny all year long but the lack of UV protection (melanin ftw) really ages people. My 65 year old mother looks the same age as some of my 40 year old co-workers.

Septy

MWS Natural said:
I know your being sarcastic but yes I wouldn't even date a white girl my age because they look usually look old as hell. Maybe it's more pronounced here in Florida where it's sunny all year long but the lack of UV protection (melanin ftw) really ages people. My 65 year old mother looks the same age as some of my 40 year old co-workers.

Definitely sounds like a sun issue. People don't seem to think of the aging consequences of unprotected sun-exposure, smoking or those stupid tanning beds.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
So, how do y'all feel about hockey?

I've never really cared for it, but I work for a company where a lot of the folks are really into it. After going to a few games, I'm... actually starting to like it.

It was sorta fun being able to put my kid in the Stanley Cup, too...

_MG_9076.jpg

Tokubetsu

Yea, my friend has been taking me to games. We drink like crazy and always have a lot of fun. Might actually start following it.

StinkFist

Banned
So whats the plan for you guys and gals this Friday. My #1 buddy no longer lives in NYC so I'm solo so I'll be playing some GTA4 and Scrabble on my iPad. Ballin!... :(

mr jones said:

I'm not a fan of watching hockey games. But I used to play pick up games with some friends when I lived in Massachusetts. In winter, the ponds would freeze over and we'd just go out there and play. Awesome fun.

I like ice skating in general and still do that when I get the chance (which is rare).

Edit:
Good looking kid you have.

I started to get into hockey 1 or 2 years ago. It doesn't hurt that my team is the Caps and we are doing great this year. It is nice to be on the winning side of things for a change since the Wizards and Redskins are a joke.

StinkFist

Banned
mr jones said:

I've never really cared for it, but I work for a company where a lot of the folks are really into it. After going to a few games, I'm... actually starting to like it.

It was sorta fun being able to put my kid in the Stanley Cup, too...

_MG_9076.jpg

Brother, you gots good genes.

Top Bottom