• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Equus Bellator Apex said:
I think it's the difference between the boondocks and coal black

I was thinking of examples to use but this is perfect. Boondocks is the perfect example of race based caricatures that exaggerate common stereotypes without going into the realm of being racist

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I just realized I completely forgot about that "white washing" thread.

I almost broke my laptop.

Almost.

wait, white washing donald glover? was that the childish gambino thread?

Equus Bellator Apex

Parallax said:
wait, white washing donald glover? was that the childish gambino thread?
No it's a different thread that came before the spiderman one
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396888

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Didn't see that one but I skimmed the thread and a similar thing happened when Idris Ebla was cast as Loki for the Thor movie. People were up in arms about it and I remember someone compared it to casting MLK Jr. as a white man. It was ridiculous.

Yeah, that was PhonenixDark. Don't take him too seriously.

I just realized I completely forgot about that "white washing" thread.

I almost broke my laptop.

Almost.
The idea of something different is a scary thing for people, and has been throughout history.

I found it so cool that Stan Lee himself approved the idea of Donald as Peter Parker. I guess it was too good to be true, but the first episode of the new season of Community where Donald's character was wearing Spiderman pajamas in the start was laugh worthy.

Donald Glover as Spiderman was handled poorly around the web, though: not just on GAF.
A black Mary Jane woulda been such a bitch though LOL

100 Pages of Negrodom on NeoGAF!

Azure J

spindashing said:

50 if you use GAF correctly. :p

Just playing, as for that extro/introvert thing, I'm an introvert until I warm up to you. After that point, all bets are off. :lol

As long as everyone's talking about black superheroes and what not, I hope Patriot gets hinted at in the captain america movie. And I hope I live to see a proper Black Panther movie, animated or otherwise. I wasn't satisfied with this.
SMJaW.jpg

I mean look at his suit, so weak.

Equus Bellator Apex

spindashing said:
The idea of something different is a scary thing for people, and has been throughout history.

I found it so cool that Stan Lee himself approved the idea of Donald as Peter Parker. I guess it was too good to be true, but the first episode of the new season of Community where Donald's character was wearing Spiderman pajamas in the start was laugh worthy.

Donald Glover as Spiderman was handled poorly around the web, though: not just on GAF.
A black Mary Jane woulda been such a bitch though LOL

All it those is confirm that the world isn't ready for Idris Elba as James Bond.

TOO. MUCH. SWAG.

Naked Prime said:
you sure about that? Just saying.....
http://abagond.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/djimon-hounsou.jpg[IMG]

I can see Idris as Bond though[/QUOTE]

Djimon has the accent and the physique he would be a good fit, but I have to admit, Michael Jay white has martial arts training and I believe he does his own stunts.

Idris can't be bond. [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDbmkmpgJT0&feature=relmfu"]His accent is atrocious[/URL].

Parallax

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Didn't see that one but I skimmed the thread and a similar thing happened when Idris Ebla was cast as Loki for the Thor movie. People were up in arms about it and I remember someone compared it to casting MLK Jr. as a white man. It was ridiculous.

ugh, the fucking thor thread. what a fucking trainwreck

lightless_shado said:
As long as everyone's talking about black superheroes and what not, I hope Patriot gets hinted at in the captain america movie. And I hope I live to see a proper Black Panther movie, animated or otherwise. I wasn't satisfied with this.
SMJaW.jpg

I mean look at his suit, so weak.

fuck the ultimates. i wanna say the ultimate universe as a whole, but the first 50 or so usm issues were pretty good. that being said, the only way we could possibly get him in a next avengers movie, and thats if the avengers does well

Lebron said:
I think we've all agreed Idris Elba was born to play BP and The Rock was born to play Black Atom

is elba limber enough to be bp? hes big, but he needs to be able to move too

Lebron

Parallax said:
is elba limber enough to be bp? hes big, but he needs to be able to move too
CGI and Stunt doubles, believe.

Snipes was going to be BP back in the day, but that project fell through. Would have sucked anyway.

Parallax

Lebron said:
CGI and Stunt doubles, believe.

Snipes was going to be BP back in the day, but that project fell through. Would have sucked anyway.

if done right, im all for it. that means that mr white is just going to have to be in heroes for hire, which might be a better fit for him

Tokubetsu

In all honesty, any sort of big Hollywood production fo BP will probably suck. It needs to be a EU affair. It demands a certain kind of tone/atmosphere that hollywood would never get right.

That said, when it came to black characters in comics, Spawn was always my dude but I was always the anti-hero, listening to cure and death metal on the back of the bus sort of a kid.

Imm0rt4l said:
Michael jai white should have been blade. Looking forward to more of his stuff in the mortal kombat web series.

I think we can all agree: Every black action hero can be played by MJW

In a different world Action Hank would have gotten his own live action series and would be played by MJW

Parallax

Tokubetsu said:
In all honesty, any sort of big Hollywood production fo BP will probably suck. It needs to be a EU affair. It demands a certain kind of tone/atmosphere that hollywood would never get right.

That said, when it came to black characters in comics, Spawn was always my dude but I was always the anti-hero, listening to cure and death metal on the back of the bus sort of a kid.

a foreign approach to bp would be interesting to see. hopefully tchaka would have some part in it.

as for spawn, he was a joke character who happened to be black. bullshit enemies like the eradicator, and down right retarded ones like cy-gor(part human, part gorilla, with cybernetic parts? what the hell) made me drop that crap

lightless_shado said:
I think we can all agree: Every black action hero can be played by MJW

In a different world Action Hank would have gotten his own live action series and would be played by MJW

action hank the series?...... yes, yes i do want it. someone needs to get brunched in the face

Tokubetsu

Spawn went to shit after issue 50, not gonna argue that point but it was always entertaining, especially in it's hey day. It kinda had a return to form recently when Todd actually sat down and went "hey, lets make spawn not a pile of shit anymore" and they took it in a more serious/horror direction.

"This is Al Simmons. The man who saved the world but could not save himself"

Don't see how he wasn't that different most of the other heroes we got.

exarkun

You know what I hate the most? When most of my friends on FB are poor-ish, black, then they get a good job but keep the pictures of them with smoke dripping out of their mouths clearly after hitting the ganja. I can understand if that ish was for friends only, but it isnt! Stop being so ignit. Fuck.

Wanna strangle them.

StinkFist

Banned
Lebron said:
#1 No one can pronounce his name
#2 He's smanging Kimora. I'm going to hate on him like a Class A hater.

F Kimora Lee to hell! Met her twice, once at my first job, and second at my current job. Such an ass whole. Had to say it.

Parallax

StinkFist said:
F Kimora Lee to hell! Met her twice, once at my first job, and second at my current job. Such an ass whole. Had to say it.

she is what hate sex is all about.

Derwind

Does anyone remember Falcon (Sam Wilson). I always wanted to see a movie about him! Or Luke Cage.....

Both in their Ultimates universe versions:

Sam Wilson:
406px-Ultimate_falcon.jpg

Luke Cage:
luke-cage.jpg

Parallax

Derwind said:
Does anyone remember Falcon (Sam Wilson). I always wanted to see a movie about him! Or Luke Cage.....

Both in their Ultimates universe versions:

Sam Wilson:

Luke Cage:

captain america 2 and heroes for hire, believe it

I may get flamed for this, but...

I find black superheroes to be bland as fuck. Design and personality-wise. The one black heroes that I did like growing up was Spawn and Blade (by a small margin).

Then again, I say this with little exposure to DC/Marvel.

Londa

Banned
spindashing said:

I find black superheroes to be bland as fuck. Design and personality-wise. The one black heroes that I did like growing up was Spawn and Blade (by a small margin).

Those two are good but don't forget Green Lantern, Storm, and the old Catwoman.

John Stewart/Green Lantern is okay. I prefer Kyle Rayner and Guy Gardner, though.

Storm, I can't hate on her at all. You're right.

I guess I can't hate on Eartha Kitt's Catwoman either, but I have little to no exposure to that goofy side of Batman.

351204406_284342eb54.jpg

Parallax

spindashing said:

They're improving. Power man looks to be decent, static and quite a few of the milestone characters were good reads marred down by mediocre to bad art, alex wilder from the runaways and patriot from young avengers are great characters luke cage(the old power man) is bendis' new puppet, and leader of the awesome thunderbolts, and black panther is on a road to recovery after being turned into an affirmative action bitch by one of the owners of BET, but his push to his previous awesome might be barred by this new american panther thing. Black characters have come a long way. Hell, there's a black science powered superman on marvels side, and an actual black superman on dcs side(well, two if you count milestones icon)

Mononofu

soul creator said:

That's pretty cool SC.

spindashing said:

I find Aqualad from Young Justice surprisingly awesome. Definitely not bland but YMMV with his personality though.

1525350-vlcsnap_2010_11_17_11h28m29s35_super.png

Young-Justice-Aqualad.jpg

Satch

Banned
Man, I was PISSED in X-Men 3 when Xavier was like "Storm, you take over the X-Men after me" and then Wolverine took over. What kind of shit is that?

Fuck that movie.

Also, John Stewart >>>> Hal/Kyle/Guy

I forgot all about Aqualad in Young Justice. Shame on me.

He's alright. His personality is a bit monotone, but he does his job well as leader of the YJ.

Aqualad is awesome...but his blackness is easy to accept/discount because like many "black" characters in cartoons, he's foreign/ethnic/not of Earth.

If Batman was back, people would go WHAT THE FUCK.
If they had a black Batman who was an extraterrestrial Batman in/from another dimension, you could discount it and ignore it.

Also, I have a confession to make about black superheroes:

...I really loved Static/Static Shock :(

captmcblack said:

He put a shock to our systems!

Essentially, he was a black spiderman. Highschooler given powers + having to deal with life around him and the powers bestowed down to him.

Plus he has a white sidekick, lol.

captmcblack said:
Aqualad is awesome...but his blackness is easy to accept/discount because like many "black" characters in cartoons, he's foreign/ethnic/not of Earth.

If they had a black Batman who was an extraterrestrial Batman in/from another dimension, you could discount it and ignore it.

Static, Black Panther and Luke Cage are awesome. I've been reading the early comics from when they were first created and Static really holds up, Powerman holds up too but not as much. 70s era comics were so corny, especially Powerman ... Luke spits so much jive at Doom, I couldn't help but laugh. So glad to have the Essential collections of Powerman.

spindashing said:
He put a shock to our systems!

Essentially, he was a black spiderman. Highschooler given powers + having to deal with life around him and the powers bestowed down to him.

Plus he has a white sidekick, lol.

I forgot his name, but he was gay in the comics and apparently according to some sources he was supposed to be gay in the cartoon as well, just not open about it [or didn't realize it yet] though I can't really vouch for the latter.

I really liked the Static Shock cartoon, though I felt it went way too much into crossover land in the later seasons, which is a shame. I guess I saw why they did it, but I really enjoyed the original stuff with the bang babies a lot more. Would've been interesting to see a cross over with the Teen Titans though.

DominoKid

NotebookJ2 said:
I forgot his name, but he was gay in the comics and apparently according to some sources he was supposed to be gay in the cartoon as well, just not open about it [or didn't realize it yet] though I can't really vouch for the latter.

I really liked the Static Shock cartoon, though I felt it went way too much into crossover land in the later seasons, which is a shame. I guess I saw why they did it, but I really enjoyed the original stuff with the bang babies a lot more. Would've been interesting to see a cross over with the Teen Titans though.

Richie? that makes...a lot of sense now that i think about it

but he wasnt in the comics though. they kinda combined a few of Static's friends to make him for the cartoon

captmcblack said:

I thought Static was awesome...I just really hated his costume.

Top Bottom