• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Londa

Banned
ChocolateCupcakes said:
My school is really liberal so they don't usually care and neither do I as long as they still hold some kind of respect.

I see it as someone trying hard to show that they will not comform to standard english.

Also because so many blacks use slang. Time and time again blacks who do not use slang are accused of acting white. As with me, I was told I sound white during my years in public school.

Veidt said:
Truth of the matter is that the position Africa is currently in, is solely responsible for how black people are perceived across the world. Poor, uneducated and violent. Simple, harsh truth. Seeing a black man act any different to this stereotype is not only surprising, but just seems utterly implausible to people across the world.
I'd like to point out that this stereotype was one that has been deliberately propagated for centuries. The age of colonialism was not the first instance of the phenomenon, but it was most notably different from all of the other versions preceding it. Africa was divided, torn and deliberately reconfigured so as to benefit the colonialist empires. This was so meticulously crafted, that to this day, Africa and black people in general, are in a state of imbalance.
This imbalance coupled with the propagated image and subsequent utter disgust against black people, is root of all our problems.

I say disgust, because let's face it. Black people are despised all across the globe. It doesn't matter where you go.

And here I was told that there isn't much racism towards blacks now a days. Racism today is minor and rarely happens anymore. :p

Racism is a tough one, b/c it is often elusive due to it's taboo nature. A person might not know that his/her best friend is racist simply because they never discuss it. So yeah, it can seem racism doesn't exist to someone who isn't exposed to it.

Occasionally when I befriend someone like that, I'll share some of my personal experiences with them. I do my best not to make them feel guilty and I keep in mind that the person may love people who are bigoted (but otherwise nice). I believe people are less likely to get defensive with that approach.

heh, sometimes I think every black person has a Ph.D in racism.

Imm0rt4l

Veidt said:
Truth of the matter is that the position Africa is currently in, is solely responsible for how black people are perceived across the world. Poor, uneducated and violent. Simple, harsh truth. Seeing a black man act any different to this stereotype is not only surprising, but just seems utterly implausible to people across the world.
I'd like to point out that this stereotype was one that has been deliberately propagated for centuries. The age of colonialism was not the first instance of the phenomenon, but it was most notably different from all of the other versions preceding it. Africa was divided, torn and deliberately reconfigured so as to benefit the colonialist empires. This was so meticulously crafted, that to this day, Africa and black people in general, are in a state of imbalance.
This imbalance coupled with the propagated image and subsequent utter disgust against black people, is root of all our problems.

I say disgust, because let's face it. Black people are despised all across the globe. It doesn't matter where you go.
I've been thinking about this a lot especially when I've spoken to my Ivorian friends within the last 2 weeks.

StinkFist

Banned
Starting the end of May, I'll be growing my power fro. Maybe dread it at the end. Or pony-tail it. Messing with the idea of a mini pompadour.

JamesFrancoCurlyPompadourHairstyle.jpg

@Tokubetsu v I'm prepared to do the hobo look.

Londa said:
I see it as someone trying hard to show that they will not comform to standard english.

Also because so many blacks use slang. Time and time again blacks who do not use slang are accused of acting white. As with me, I was told I sound white during my years in public school.

I don't like to see it that negatively and see it more as a cultural thing or dialect/accent.

Besides I would hate if people thought less of me because I say "ax" instead of "ask".

I do hate the you sound so white thing and its even worse because I heard it from a 40+ year old that I knew. But thats just a problem with ignorance and some need for all black people to conform to some standard probably because of oppression all those years ago.

StinkFist

Banned
I'd really like to see a white Jewish-American thread. I'd like to hear what life is like as a practicing Jewish person. Orthodox to be specific. Any culture/community you guys/gals would be interested in learning about via forum posts?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
StinkFist said:
I'd really like to see a white Jewish-American thread. I'd like to hear what life is like as a practicing Jewish person. Orthodox to be specific. Any culture/community you guys/gals would be interested in learning about via forum posts?
Definitely a Middle-eastern culture thread. Specifically Jewish.

Zoramon089 said:
What about this dude! He was so awesome, most people didn't realize there were other Green Lanterns and thought the movie was whitewashing the character by picking Ryan Renolds

the-black-green-lantern.jpg
Unfortunately, I can't think of a single physically-fit, black male actor who could play the role well AND bring people to the box office. MJW = no. Will Smith = no (though he could fill seats).

We need Hollywood to adopt some new token black actors and actresses pronto.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Besides I would hate if people thought less of me because I say "ax" instead of "ask".
straight up: I look down on people who say "skinded". I fucking hate it.

Londa said:
sadly they do look down on people that talk slag in a business and educational setting.

Its something I can't help. I grew up in a Jamaican household. If people look down on that then shouldn't they also look down on Southerners with their accent or Canadians who say "aboot" or British people who call remotes, clickers.

Dreams-Visions said:
straight up: I look down on people who say "skinded". I fucking hate it.

Lol, I guess some accents just sound better though.

Meus Renaissance said:
Ever heard the term 'white' being used in a derogative sense?

Yup, like I just said when I go to the Bronx people say I sound 'white'? Its disturbing but I could understand since at one point I thought that because I grew up in that environment.

Meus Renaissance said:
No, I haven't, but perhaps I'm misremembering. Example, please?

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Yup, like I just said when I go to the Bronx people say I sound 'white'? Its disturbing but I could understand since at one point I thought that because I grew up in that environment.
I'm not sure that's what he meant...or is it?

That's more an indictment on the accusers said it than on the "accused".

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Dreams-Visions said:
No, I haven't, but perhaps I'm misremembering. Example, please?

you havent? no ones ever told you that you were acting white when you enunciate something, read, or overall act like you have common sense and manners?

StinkFist

Banned
Scribble said:
There were black toads in Super Mario Galaxy 2.

...hurray

Meus Renaissance said:

Definitely have. Usually they'll emphasize the word white when they mean it in a negative sense. Last time I heard it used negatively was when two non white guys at a diner began debating about certain historical events.

Azure J

Boombloxer is especially right here about when you're called out on "being/talking white". I'll never forget the time in high school when we went on a religious retreat and as I'm there saying my little bit, the girl next to me asks what I prayed for. I told her something to the effect of fortitude, not because I wanted to show off or anything but just because [sarcastic humorization of my life]I was an awkward as fuck kinda guy who thought you can just talk and be understood regardless of the words I use.[/sarcasm]

She was mystified as all hell looking at me like I grew a horn off my forehead. Then of course comes the usual "what does that mean", the dumb it down explanation you come up with on the fly and the reply:

"Ohhh... Why didn't you say that in the first place?"

Sometimes I both hate and love myself, others and the situations we wind up in. It gives me a good basis for when I write my stories/scenarios now. :lol

I remember the first time being called "white."

I was ten. I was on the phone with a friend and someone else calls him. It happens to be another friend of his that I haven't met and my friend tells me that this kid liked to play videogames too so maybe we should do a 3-way phone call. At first I was skeptical speaking to someone that I didn't know, but I eased up to the idea and allowed it.

We 3 spoke about games on the phone and started talking about our favorite games. I spoke in great detail about how I loved the Sonic 1, 2 and 3 games and during my story, the guy I've never met says, "Yo, you sound mad white."

Awkwardly I said, "Oh ... okay. o.o"

Shit cut me up to pieces back then, smh LOL.

StinkFist

Banned
AzureJericho said:
Boombloxer is especially right here about when you're called out on "being/talking white". I'll never forget the time in high school when we went on a religious retreat and as I'm there saying my little bit, the girl next to me asks what I prayed for. I told her something to the effect of fortitude, not because I wanted to show off or anything but just because [sarcastic humorization of my life]I was an awkward as fuck kinda guy who thought you can just talk and be understood regardless of the words I use.[/sarcasm]

She was mystified as all hell looking at me like I grew a horn off my forehead. Then of course comes the usual "what does that mean", the dumb it down explanation you come up with on the fly and the reply:

"Ohhh... Why didn't you say that in the first place?"

Sometimes I both hate and love myself, others and the situations we wind up in. It gives me a good basis for when I write my stories/scenarios now. :lol

Hey! Don't let some dumb broad put you own cause her vocabulary is that of a parrots. You should have thrown another curve ball at her.

Parallax said:
you havent? no ones ever told you that you were acting white when you enunciate something, read, or overall act like you have common sense and manners?
Nope. Never once.

StinkFist said:
Which is worst.
A. Having your own race say you speak white

B. A white person saying you don't speak black.
B.

Parallax

StinkFist said:
Which is worst.

to me, the first. that shit was painful to hear the first time someone told me i acted white. like i was some sort of outcast. the latter can be chalked up to a lack of experience, so its not as much of an issue

Dreams-Visions said:
Nope. Never once.

..are you being serious, or are you messing with me?

Azure J

The worst is coming from an overly protective family and then going out thinking that you can just gush about anything with people and they'll understand you. I got pegged as the weird one and I'm probably as vanilla as they come.

Wait, maybe I shouldn't say vanilla in the context of the current discussion. :lol

Edit: I can't pick one answer because both are terrible as fuck (speaking from past experiences ranging from hilarious to "oh shit you're serious").

Parallax

Half-and-half said:
Dreams-Visions was in a fraternity. No one's gonna say some shit like that to him lol

he wasnt born into one. thats why its kinda shocking that no ones ever said that to him before.

StinkFist said:
Which is worst.

I think B is worse, but i've had A said to me quite a few times, I was made aware quite a few times that I speak "properly" compared to everyone else when I was in high school.

eternaLightness said:
I've been told by white girls that I act white since I listen to what they call "white peoples music".
This too, i've been called an "oreo".

eternaLightness said:
I've been told by white girls that I act white since I listen to what they call "white peoples music".

this is probably the one of the few race based phrases i've heard said around me in high school that's irked me

Parallax said:
he wasnt born into one. thats why its kinda shocking that no ones ever said that to him before.
yea, I've just never heard it. maybe it was just not apart of the culture where I grew up in the midwest or the people I surrounded myself with.

then again, maybe it's more than that. I also know I learned to "adjust" my language based on who I was around. I think most successful black folks have that "home language" that we speak when around our family and people...and the "business language" we speak in the classroom, boardroom, or around people we don't know (and especially cute chicks).

When I'm in my professional environment, I speak professionally. When I'm at home, I shift between them rather fluidly. Going from speaking each word crisply to "...but dis muhfucka here..." Hell even sometimes here on GAF, I'll have a "moment".

lol

Ninja_Hawk said:
I thought this was reserved for interracial relationships?

eternaLightness said:
surely that couldn't have been the only reason? if so...ugh.

Dreams-Visions said:
Unfortunately, I can't think of a single physically-fit, black male actor who could play the role well AND bring people to the box office. MJW = no. Will Smith = no (though he could fill seats).

I feel like Denzel could've played him 10 years ago...I mean, I don't know if he'd take a role like that but he could have hit the personality and mannerisms perfectly

I'm usually a pretty chill person but you know what pissed me off? When people say "There are no hot black women, or there's only a few like Beyonce". Then I tell them a few examples and they say "Yeah, they're hot, but they don't look black" Wtf?! If they're hot they all of a sudden don't look black? What kind of BS is that?

Dreams-Visions said:
yea, I've just never heard it. maybe it was just not apart of the culture where I grew up in the midwest or the people I surrounded myself with.

then again, maybe it's more than that. I also know I learned to "adjust" my language based on who I was around. I think most successful black folks have that "home language" that we speak when around our family and people...and the "business language" we speak in the classroom, boardroom, or around people we don't know (and especially cute chicks).

When I'm in my professional environment, I speak professionally. When I'm at home, I shift between them rather fluidly. Going from speaking each word crisply to "...but dis muhfucka here..." Hell even sometimes here on GAF, I'll have a "moment".

lol

surely that couldn't have been the only reason? if so...ugh.

Nah, I can count on one hand the amount of black people I've worked with over the years, whenever a group of co-workers and I are out and I see a fellow black person, often times I get the "What are you doing with them?" look.

Only time I don't get it? When they're in a group, then it's a nod. It takes a lot of extra work to really get somewhere professionally, regardless of industry, so when I get those stares, it really, really pisses me off. I'm here because I know my shit.

Reminds me of when Chris Rock described the other three black people that lived in his neighborhood--Jay-Z, Mary J. ...and his neighbor? Dentist.

StinkFist

Banned
Ninja_Hawk said:
I think B is worse, but i've had A said to me quite a few times, I was made aware quite a few times that I speak "properly" compared to everyone else when I was in high school.

I swear to you Negro-GAF, the day someone calls me Oreo, I'm unleashing an ass whooping so bad, the Devil will ask

Why so serious?

Although I'm not the kind of person one would call an "Oreo". There's this older fellow at my job named John who has been called Uncle Tom by many angry clients of his that are white. That shit eats him up so badly. Last time a female co-worker had to walk him away. He's a drug counselor by the way.

Mononofu

StinkFist said:
Which is worst.

A by family is worse even though they don't mean any harm. ( I think) I found B to be very amusing in school for some reason. *shrugs*

Dreams-Visions said:
I'm sure they meant it generally but among everything else about me that I guess is usually associated with white people, I was dating a white girl at the time.

StinkFist said:
I swear to you Negro-GAF, the day someone calls me Oreo, I'm unleashing an ass whooping so bad, the Devil will ask

Why so serious?

Although I'm not the kind of person one would call an "Oreo". There's this older fellow at my job named John who has been called Uncle Tom by many angry clients of his that are white. That shit eats him up so badly. Last time a female co-worker had to walk him away. He's a drug counselor by the way.

Oh it wasn't said offensively and I didn't take it that way, I would never allow anything like that to go down lol.

Parallax

StinkFist said:

Why so serious?

wait, white people called him uncle tom? that is some beyond fucked up shit. that would require an ass beating or two

Parallax said:

I know what ya meant, I'm just goofing off a little ;)

But back to the question, I've had both happen to me, they're about the same.

One time a brother called me an oreo cause I was skateboarding with some white kids. I shrugged it off. White things, black things, don't matter to me as long as I'm having fun. In the end, it's really his problem if he's going to make distinctions like that. I find it liberating to just do what I want to do and not worry about what others think.

Londa

Banned
StinkFist said:
Which is worst.

B because they come off as racist by thinking that all blacks talk ghetto. Which is insulting to me as a person who knows that blacks have and do talk standard english correctly.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Anyone ever do one of those 23andMe tests?

Get ready to have your concept of 'race' blown away.

Very interesting results:

DNA results for a Somalian Man:

Paternal haplogroup: E1b1b1a1b

This is what 23andMe had to say about my paternal hg:

Quote:
African Migration

About 8,000 years ago men from the E1b1b1a1b branch of E1b1b1a migrated from Egypt southward into eastern Africa, perhaps in search of new pastures for their recently domesticated goats, sheep and cattle. Most men in Somalia and parts of Ethiopia and Kenya who carry the E1b1b1a mutation today are descendants of these migrants.
More accurate map of V32:

Fyl8J.png

The most common Somali marker, no big surprise here.

Maternal haplogroup: L3*

Ancestry painting:
74% Europe
18% Asia
8% Africa

ZrBOQ.png

Teaches me a few things:
1. Yay, I am descendent of Egyptians.
2. 74% European? Even more Asian than African?
3. Or is it the simple fact that there is no such thing as a single race? Because keep in mind, people from my region are about as homogeneous as it gets. Which means that as it is said in the results, the Europeans of today are descendants of those people. I'm like, totally a distant cousin of all of you guys, every single one of you, European, African, Asian, whatever, people like me, are like the link between all of us. More directly than you are with other populations. So love me <3

I always laugh at how the world is supposed to be in sections, separate from each other. While the truth is that it was always one people, that left one place in East Africa, to go on to populate the rest of the world.

Top Bottom