• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Chungking Express is listed as OOP on Criterion's site so if this is one you've been waiting to pick up, I wouldn't wait any longer to pick up this amazing film.
Bought. I don't really have the money for this right now, but at worst it goes back in print and I spend the $30 now rather than later, and at worst the movie never goes back in print and the price skyrockets and I burst into tears because it's one of my favorite movies.

FLASH SALE TIIIIIIIIIME!
Flash Sale: 50% off All Blu-rays and DVDs!

For only twenty-four hours, until noon tomorrow, all in-stock Blu-rays and DVDs will be 50% off the suggested retail price (SRP). Just enter the promotional code FLASH on your shopping cart page at Criterion.com to apply the discount.
If you need some help deciding what to buy (and have two and a half minutes), check out this video.
The code expires at noon tomorrow, so don’t delay!.
I just got this, and it looks like a bunch of fun.

Edit: Are we allowed to post the promo code on NeoGAF?

Sliver

That really sucks. Just bought 3 Blu-rays at Barnes and Noble two days ago and I could have gotten them so much cheaper.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Why does amazon have two versions of the Criterion Chungking Express blu? One is a few bucks cheaper...
That's really strange. One is listed as R rated whereas the other is listed as being unrated, but I didn't know that Chungking Express had different cuts, and I can't imagine that Criterion would package them differently. It looks like a listing error.

FLASH!

Ordered 9 (I missed the B&N sale due to their idiocy of canceling my entire order because a couple were not in stock), so I made up for lost time.

Also, why didn't I get the memo that In The Mood for Love is coming out this November? Awesome.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
That really sucks. Just bought 3 Blu-rays at Barnes and Noble two days ago and I could have gotten them so much cheaper.

B&N has half off sales twice a year like clockwork, I hope this has been a lesson to you.

Picked up Solaris.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Alrighty. Fixed that up. Not sure what I want to order yet, lol, but I've been thinking about getting Paths of Glory for a while.
I really want to buy Weekend, but as soon as I add it, I'll be tempted to buy two more movies for free shipping, and I don't have anything else I really need right now, since I just ordered Mala Noche and Chungking Express. As much as it pains me, I'll probably abstain from the sale. If nothing else, I can't get Criterion's packaging off without damaging the covers, so that's...some consolation.

omgkitty

FLASH!

Ordered 9 (I missed the B&N sale due to their idiocy of canceling my entire order because a couple were not in stock), so I made up for lost time.

Also, why didn't I get the memo that In The Mood for Love is coming out this November? Awesome.

In the Mood for Love comes out next week. Also, I really don't need a sale right now. So little money...

cj_iwakura

Any recommendations? I tend to be 50/50 with my likes of Criterions.

I own(and adore):
-Charade
-The Royal Tenenbaums
-The Rock
-Robocop
-Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas
-Spartacus
-Chasing Amy
-Le Samourai
-Rashomon
-Beastie Boys Video Anthology

I own(and am mixed on):
-The Last Temptation of Christ
-Brazil
-Traffic
-The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
-Down By Law(yet I love Ghost Dog)

I own The Thin Red Line on VHS(yeah), so that's on my list.

TheChits

Would you guys recommend Still Walking? It looks really good, and I want another movie to pick up with Dazed and Confused.

What makes it so controversial? Is it excruciatingly gory or anything?

There's some really great make-up for the time, and some pretty disturbing imagery in one section particularly. But honestly, in a contemporary sense, it does show it's age. But it was banned specifically because of the intense imagery. No doubt it's a painting "come to life" at times. But there are slower sections of it as well; it's a very interesting look at the cause and effects of superstition.

big ander

No Eclipse love for the sale, anyone? Think I might get The Mizoguchi set and the Nikkatsu Noir set.
If I got anything at all I was going to get Nikkatsu Noir, Pearls of the Czech New Wave, and then Postwar Kurosawa and/or The First Films of Kurosawa. Buuuuut I don't have any money to spend at all right now so I simply added them to my cart, stared wistfully, and canceled out.
I'm morbidly curious about Haxan, but I don't think I have the stones.
What makes it so controversial? Is it excruciatingly gory or anything?
Haxan isn't anything approaching hard-to-watch if you're talking gore or horror in general. It's surreal in that several scenes are long, dream-like portrayals of witch rituals or similar folklore. Those are fun. I believe it's controversial because while it claims to be a documentary, five of its seven chapters are recreations of "reported" witchcraft, aka complete fiction. (EDIT: previous post is more correct than mine, was controversial because it was shocking for 1922.) It's essentially a fantasy-comedy that points out how ridiculous the stories of witchcraft are, with a tacked-on epilogue about how that relates to the state of psychological care in the 1920s.

If I got anything at all I was going to get Nikkatsu Noir, Pearls of the Czech New Wave, and then Postwar Kurosawa and/or The First Films of Kurosawa. Buuuuut I don't have any money to spend at all right now so I simply added them to my cart, stared wistfully, and canceled out.

Haxan isn't anything approaching hard-to-watch if you're talking gore or horror in general. It's surreal in that several scenes are long, dream-like portrayals of witch rituals or similar folklore. Those are fun. I believe it's controversial because while it claims to be a documentary, five of its seven chapters are recreations of "reported" witchcraft, aka complete fiction. (EDIT: previous post is more correct than mine, was controversial because it was shocking for 1922.) It's essentially a fantasy-comedy that points out how ridiculous the stories of witchcraft are, with a tacked-on epilogue about how that relates to the state of psychological care in the 1920s.

Exactly. Of course at the time the intensity of some of the scenes were probably outrageous. There's something about the set designs, make-up, etc that really grab one's attention.

It's also great for people who have an interest in folklore, which is what turned me on to it.

Would you guys recommend Still Walking? It looks really good, and I want another movie to pick up with Dazed and Confused.

Still Walking is one of my favorite blu-rays. It is an absolutely beautiful film about a normal Japanese family. Somewhat similar to Ozu if you are familiar with him.

FnordChan

Goddamnit, Criterion, why are you doing this to me?

Eating Raoul
Harakiri
Still Walking

There, Criterion, I hope you're happy.

FnordChan

swoon

Criterion will be screening three previously unannounced films at All Tomorrow's Parties between tonight and tomorrow.

Mystery Train, Kiss Me Deadly, Hunger, Quadrophenia, Being John Malkovich, and Putney Swope are among the ones that were "premiered" as Janus/Criterion properties at earlier ATP events.

the films were the killer, this is spinal tap and brazil. so nothing new, and i doubt they are releasing upgrades to those first two. also watching films on a boat is the worst thing ever so i didn't stay that long there - but they had some pretty sweet videomixtapes showing between the movies.

Better than Army of Shadows?
yes!

No Eclipse love for the sale, anyone? Think I might get The Mizoguchi set and the Nikkatsu Noir set.

i wouldn't get the mizoguchi set unless you have his other criterion films and need more by him. lesser works for sure.

w00t!

Upgraded some of my old non-Criterion DVD to Bluray.

A fool and his money.

Glad I waited though, wanted that re-release of the Samurai Trilogy. Mission accomplished!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
which one is the plastic case one? looking to buy this, would prefer the hardcase.

Going entirely by the ASINs and comparing them to the other four initial Criterion Blu releases, I'd wager this is the newer edition, but I'm not sure there's a reliable way to know for sure.

Honestly, you could buy either one and I'd be surprised if you ended up with a cardboard case. They haven't been in print for more than three years.

Just an FYI and invite to the alternative Criterion forum, Criterionforums.com:

We just launched our front page recently, it was a pretty big step for us. Since I've already rubbed elbows with a few here on GAF I thought I might mention our site (just noticed this thread).

It would be cool if we could get a link in the OP too omgkitty. Thanks. :)

For the flash sale, I got:

Paths of Glory (Been needing a better copy for a long time)
Playtime (I've heard ominous omens about Criterion's Tati collection, so I made sure to get this now)
The Killing (Always a good idea to round it out with some noir)

omgkitty

Just an FYI and invite to the alternative Criterion forum, Criterionforums.com:

We just launched our front page recently, it was a pretty big step for us. Since I've already rubbed elbows with a few here on GAF I thought I might mention our site (just noticed this thread).

It would be cool if we could get a link in the OP too omgkitty. Thanks. :)

Added! I look forward to perusing your site!

Also, am I the only one who feels like the 50% off sale is kind of worthless when you have to pay $4 to $5 for shipping and you could just buy it on Amazon for $2 or $3 more at most times?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Also, am I the only one who feels like the 50% off sale is kind of worthless when you have to pay $4 to $5 for shipping and you could just buy it on Amazon for $2 or $3 more at most times?

Criterions should really do a frequent buyer system for using their site. Kind of like Disney's points but make them actually useful.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Criterions should really do a frequent buyer system for using their site. Kind of like Disney's points but make them actually useful.

YKDK9.jpg

I've earned the $50 loyalty bonus from Criterion only once, but it didn't take too long. I like buying from them because it is always a quick and damage-free experience, plus they never charge the full SRP. I like buying direct so I know they get most of the profits, and I usually have to jump around to various buyers on Amazon Marketplace to get these sale prices, which even then aren't guaranteed for some titles.

Thank you for the mention!

Top Bottom