• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

Nope, first time. Used planetaxel before, with no problem. To be honest I'm hoping to avoid them but let's say I'll treat this order as an experiment.

All your music store @amazon.co.uk seem to have a pretty nice stock of Criterion BR at the moment by the way.

Fake edit : Jesus tapdancing christ I missed the 15% code too. This is not my day.

Hey did your B&N order turn up yet?
How did you fare with customs?
I just had a delivery turn up, $181.31 / £115 was the order total and it was marked as a book so was exempt from any charges!
Amazing, I'm going all out for the November sale :)

Hey did your B&N order turn up yet?
How did you fare with customs?
I just had a delivery turn up, $181.31 / £115 was the order total and it was marked as a book so was exempt from any charges!
Amazing, I'm going all out for the November sale :)

Everything went great ! No custom charges/problems whatsoever. Took a couple of weeks to be delivered.

Next sale I'm going in too !

swoon

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...riterion/Heavens_Gate_Blu-ray_Announced/10021

I'm not familiar with the home video releases, so what's missing from it?

it's not a good movie, i think is the big problem, and it's using their seemingly forgotten tastemaker status to try to sell people that it's not as bad everyone said upon its initial release.

beyond that it's really just two interviews over pictures and mini doc about the battle. no commentary, no analysis. i assume since the interview is with the participants it's just going to be back patting. zzz

it's lazy and it's for a bad film. as other have noted after my post, the quality and number of extras is going down, but the prices aren't. olive films and the studios are doing better work and are cheaper.

My problem with a lot of recent Criterion supplements is the lack of analysis.
I just can't believe the 'old' Criterion would put out Godard's Weekend without a commentary track.
Films that are screaming for analysis, like Last Year at Marienbad for example, are frequently left wanting by the Criterion supplements.

With Heaven's Gate, there's seemingly nothing on the disc relating to the films impact and effect on the Hollywood production system.
Although it's largely common knowledge, a lot of interesting material has been produced relating to it with Final Cut: The Making and Unmaking of Heaven's Gate being one such 90 minute example which will be missing from the Criterion disc.

They also have a horrible habit of licensing a documentary and chopping it up, providing excerpts of the doc across multiple releases rather than just giving it to us in full.
Again, this just wasn't common practice a few years ago.

codhand

http://criterioncast.com/news/lee-k...ion/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

"With a presentation of the restoration of Heaven’s Gate at The Reel Thing this weekend, Lee Kline (Technical Director for The Criterion Collection) was asked about what the company has coming down the pipeline, and while according to those in attendance who spoke out about it over on CriterionForum he revealed mostly already announced releases, there is one in particular that light the internet ablaze.

Over the past couple of years, one film has been seemingly requested for a Blu-grade more than most, at least films that aren’t from directors with the last name Kurosawa or Ozu. Terry Gilliam’s Brazil has always been thought of as perfect fodder for a Blu-ray upgrade, and with a less than superb Blu-ray hitting via Universal, the requests for an upgrade have been repeated over and over again. And they apparently haven’t fallen on deaf ears. Kline revealed that yes, a Blu-ray of Gilliam’s masterpiece is indeed in the works, and while no release date had been hinted at, all one needs to hear is that it is actually on its way."

:)

omgkitty

Here's the latest wacky drawing. Anyone have any thoughts?

tumblr_m9hcv9Rtcu1qebry0o1_400.png

Hmmm three detained / trapped / caught C's.....

Perhaps C = sea?
Three = trilogy?

Maybe that could make it a trilogy of sea related / themed films?
And the 'caught' could relate to the name of the trilogy?

I dunno, just thinking out loud :)

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Yeah, I think the existence of the one you mention led me to believe Criterion would never get the rights. Which made me sad cause the DVD one always looked so awesome to me.

They do have blu-rays of Fear and Loathing and Dazed and Confused that are non Criterions too you know.

codhand

In store Barnes sale is going on 40% off everthang (Blu), plus a member discount I got Lonesome for 23 and change. I couldn't get my mailer coupons to work, they were really tudey about my attempt.

Zebra

Koyaanisqatsi. Sweeeet.

I just looked up the price for CC version of The Third Man

A single tear rolled down my eye

I'm so glad I got that the second it was announced as being out of print. I had to drive thirty miles to a B&N in the middle of nowhere for it, but for only $20 it was totally worth it.

id probably use it with ps3

it works with that right

oh fuck i need playstation plus too? fuck that

edit: nevermind looks like that article was old

omgkitty

id probably use it with ps3

it works with that right

oh fuck i need playstation plus too? fuck that

edit: nevermind looks like that article was old

The only BS service you would need in order to use Hulu+ on a device would be Xbox Live, but that way you can also use excellent services like Internet Explorer....

Stencil

Just recently sold my collection of 100+ Criterion DVDs. It took me a while to realize how easy it is to fall in love with the idea of owning any Criterion movie without actually caring about the film itself. I'm building my BR selection slowly, but I'm being more selective now. Can't wait for In the Mood for Love. Ikiru can't come soon enough!

Spocker

Seems like the Quatsi trilogy finally is coming. Their latest newsletter clue hint at that.

wacky_cs.png

Three caught c's =)

Ridley327

Yeah, I think the existence of the one you mention led me to believe Criterion would never get the rights. Which made me sad cause the DVD one always looked so awesome to me.

It's not really a matter of rights; Criterion has an excellent working relationship with Universal, but Universal gets "first dibs" on the titles they've licensed out. It's usually about six months before Criterion gets to put their version out, but Brazil seems to be a bit of an extended exception to that rule. My guess is they're trying to get the Battle for Brazil documentary and the notorious Love Conquers All cut in HD, and that's taken a lot longer than they anticipated.

codhand

Dude! It's $10! If you can't front $10 then IDK what to say. Also $17 is a great price on the Shepitko set too.

Word, I've only seen Shock Corridor and wasn't a huge fan, although I still enjoyed it, but I love some pulp, and I hear he's one of the best at delivering it. Bought it.

big ander

Oh come on you dont need John Mayer on vinyl :p

Do what I did in college, eat more Ramen.
Hey I was buying Spiritualized, not John Mayer. Not that I'd be against getting some John Mayer on vinyl, Room for Squares was a–know what, criterion thread's not the place to get into my feelings on the retroactive hate people have applied to Mayer.

and what tipped me over was getting my first paycheck for grading, so I won't have to resort to the Maruchan diet.

don't think those paycheck's will ever get me enough to buy a third man blu though.

Top Bottom