• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

swoon

3. ECLIPSE TITLES

There is some debate about how this question was phrased, and what the answer meant. Apparently someone asked about the high definition transfer of The Jungle Book being available on iTunes, and a statement about some Eclipse titles getting their own stand-alone releases. Raymond Bernard’s Les Miserables was also mentioned, and it would make sense for something like Daisies to make the leap as well.

While I would love to own The Jungle Book and Daisies on Blu-ray, I think Criterion should continue to keep films like that a part of the Eclipse Series, if for nothing else than to lead people to the other films in those box sets.

this is really weird.

everyone should watch bernad's les miserables though. and daises for that matter.

I'd love for more Kar-Wai titles, but Badlands , Le Samourai, Shoah, and On the Waterfront all sound great. Some titles I'm not familiar with, so I might do a blind buy or two.

Are we allowed to talk about movies in the Criterion thread? :p

I am revisiting The Killing, and while there are moments that are really good, there are equal, if not more, moments of surprising tedium. The static shots of the speakers against the sky, the badly shot crowds and horses, and the absolutely inane dialogue (and especially the voice over) just boggle my mind. I think if you want to view it as just a genre picture, it isn't bad; the racial elements with the friendly Black guy near the end bring something contemporary and modern to it all. And, the lighting of the interiors, the depth of the camera, and the dolly shots are all nicely composed, even if too many shots end with a zoom. But, my god, the dialogue and staging of some stuff. The fight with the big bald immigrant in the track near the bar? The cops pull at his sleeves, and his shirt comes off. It is ridiculous, and I can't imagine Kubrick five years later going "yeah, that works". Compare that fight with the skirmish between Barry and his stepson in Barry Lyndon.

The credits say screenplay by Kubrick, and dialogue by Thompson. Can I just put the blame on everything spoken by the characters and the voiceover on Thompson?

Kellen

Badlands, Le Samourai Blu-Ray, On The Waterfront?

n5025f396ada91_large.gif

Barnes and Noble sale starts tomorrow, what're you all picking up? I'll be getting:

Yi Yi (blu-ray)
Rashomon (blu-ray when it releases on 11/6)

omgkitty

Guaranteed Pick-ups:

Rosemary's Baby
Rashomon
Weekend
Quadrophenia
In the Mood for Love

Maybe:

The Trilogy of Life
Shallow Grave
Belle De Jour
Design for Living
Close Up
The Four Feathers
Wings of Desire

I fucking hate Barnes and Noble. Why am I wasting my time on them again?

We are sorry, but your order did not pass our order verification process and we are unable to continue to fulfill your order. We assure you that you were not charged for any portion of this order.

We want to let you know that if your order contained a Barnes & Noble NOOK Book or NOOK Apps, these items can only be purchased by customers physically located in the United States and Canada.

And strike three:
We are sorry, but your order did not pass our order verification process and we are unable to continue to fulfill your order. We assure you that you were not charged for any portion of this order.

We want to let you know that if your order contained a Barnes & Noble NOOK Book or NOOK Apps, these items can only be purchased by customers physically located in the United States and Canada.

If you have any questions regarding this order please email us at Authorizations@barnesandnoble.com or call 1-877-379-0036 Mon-Fri between the hours of 8:00AM - 9:00PM EST, Saturdays and Sundays 9:00AM - 6PM. If you are calling from outside the United States, you can reach us at 1-201-559-3885.

Sincerely,

Sales Audit
-- Barnes & Noble
1-877-379-0036

Once again, fuck you Barnes and Noble.

Is that what you got when you tried to buy pre-orders?

Nope. It happens when I try to buy anything. I tried to buy just Blow Out, I tried Blow Out, Late Spring, and Rosemary's Baby, and I tried to pre-order Trilogy of Life and Rashomon in another order. All three got rejected.

Who knows. Who cares. Barnes and Noble continues to be a piece of shit company, and it is my fault for bothering to try them again after they fucked up in summer's sale.

Edit: And, even if they are listing pre-orders at the sale price and not accepting them (another idiotic move on their part), why is it giving me a "fraud" email warning?

Daigoro

probably picking up Charade since ive been dragging my feet on that one for a while now.

maybe Rashomon as well.

Tin Drum is quite good, but the scene with the eels is really disgusting.

that scene haunts my dreams. so fucking creepy and gross. excellent film though, yes.

Thanks for the heads up. Got Being John Malkovich and Rashomon. I'll get my next paycheck before the deal is up so hopefully I'll get Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums and another blu ray. Love these deals.

Hopefully, they let the preorders stick. Rashomon is one of my top ten movies, easily.

OSHAN

I just ordered:

Rosemary's Baby
In the Mood for Love
Purple Noon
Qatsi Trilogy
Rashomon
Weekend (Godard)

I haven't received a confirmation e-mail yet.

omgkitty

Thanks for the heads up. Got Being John Malkovich and Rashomon. I'll get my next paycheck before the deal is up so hopefully I'll get Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums and another blu ray. Love these deals.

Hopefully, they let the preorders stick. Rashomon is one of my top ten movies, easily.

You should be fine. Rashomon comes out during the sale.

OSHAN

Well I received my confirmation e-mail and it went through fine, even with Qatsi trilogy; however, my order isn't going to ship until 12/11 now, which sucks.

omgkitty

I would have bought something by now as I had Rosemary's Baby, In the Mood for Love and Quadrophenia in my cart when I looked at my bank account and realized that the Target B2G1 free sale is also on right now. So many deals fighting for my wallet!

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Going to check my bank account but might go with David Lean directs Noel Coward, If, Salo, Crumb, Au Reviour Les Enfants, My Life as a Dog, Sweetie, Life During Wartime, and Rosemary's Baby. Who knows though? My lady got me a handful of titles for my birthday and I think the ones I will for sure get this time are If and Salo.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Money is tight. I'm going to for sure do In the Mood for Love and The Game. I'll likely pick up Rashomon when it comes out, and maybe Weekend. I might preorder the Quatsi Trilogy, but I'm still deciding on that.

Why don't they stock Story of a Prostitute?
I'm planning on scooping up the last few DVD's I 'need' and really wanted that one.....

EDIT: Finally decided!

Roberto Rossellini’s War Trilogy
The Rules of the Game
Weekend (Godard)
Bicycle Thieves
Rosemary's Baby
Rashomon
Patriotism
Night and the City
The Naked City
Le Samourai
Le deuxième souffle
Hoop Dreams
Ace in the Hole
8 1/2

Evidently a few of these will be outclassed by forthcoming Blu upgrades but at these prices I'm fine with it :)

big ander

Started with a list of 72 and narrowed it down to this:

Eclipse: Lubitsch Musicals
Eclipse: Pearls of the Czech New Wave
Children of Paradise
Sanjuro

Even that's a lot on my measly budget but I can't bring myself to cut anything else out.

I pre-ordered Brazil and Following on B&N's website this morning.

I think I'm going to go to the brick and mortar location tomorrow by my work to pick up The Game for myself and Charade for the lady.

If I see Chungking Express, I'll grab that (never seen it, but I've heard enough good, plus it being out of print...). As a Wes Anderson fan, I've considered the Darjeeling Limited, but I don't recall really liking it - worth rewatching. And is Cronos any good? (I love Pan's Labyrinth).

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I adored Darjeeling Limited, and I'm tempted to buy it in this sale, but I think I'd prefer to get stuff I haven't already seen (many times) for now.

Top Bottom