• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

swoon

i picked up;

39 steps
the lady vanishes
jean gremillon (during the occupation)
three wicked melodrams from gainsbourg pictures

i wanted to get both carne films, but i couldn't find them and the b and n dude was hovering over me like a hawk. so i'll go back after weekend is releases.

i picked up;

39 steps
the lady vanishes
jean gremillon (during the occupation)
three wicked melodrams from gainsbourg pictures

i wanted to get both carne films, but i couldn't find them and the b and n dude was hovering over me like a hawk. so i'll go back after weekend is releases.

Lol, I had the same situation. I went there to pick up just a movie but left with 4. Damn bn dude was making me anxious to get out of there. He was seriously just eyeballing me the whole time.

picked up branded to kill, in the mood for love, naked, and pre-ordered purple noon(only seen the remake)

Lol, I had the same situation. I went there to pick up just a movie but left with 4. Damn bn dude was making me anxious to get out of there. He was seriously just eyeballing me the whole time.

picked up branded to kill, in the mood for love, naked, and pre-ordered purple noon(only seen the remake)

don't mind them, they are not used to having customers

omgkitty

don't mind them, they are not used to having customers

It's literally the only time I ever go into a B&N. Everything in there is so overpriced. I tried going there a few times to buy books, but I'd always check Amazon prices while I was standing there and they would most of the time be at least $3 to $4 cheaper online.

It's literally the only time I ever go into a B&N. Everything in there is so overpriced. I tried going there a few times to buy books, but I'd always check Amazon prices while I was standing there and they would most of the time be at least $3 to $4 cheaper online.

Yea, it's always so dead in there. I felt so bad for him i let him sell me a B&N member card. It only cost me $15 and i figure ill get my use out of it with the criterion sales.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I picked up 3 Women and Summer Interlude. I noticed they've shoved a lot of the books over and replaced them with board games. :/

omgkitty

So I went to B&N tonight, and I forgot how enticing it is seeing all the titles just laid out for you to drool over. I kept seeing all the things I didn't have that I thought I didn't need until they were right in front of me. I kept my cool though, and got what I came for...sorta. Firstly, I completely forgot I never purchased Le Havre! How stupid can I be? I absolutely love that film and when I saw the spine and didn't recognize the font, I thought surely I already own it. Well I didn't, and I'm glad I went to the store and reminded myself. I also noticed they didn't have a copy of Quadrophenia on blu-ray, and now when I go to their site, it's not listed there either and I can't search stores to see who has it! WTF?

hoss

Picked up 12 Angry Men, Anatomy of a Murder and Charade so far this sale. Think I'm going to grab Paris, Texas, Life During Wartime, and Stagecoach today.

Jhriad

Thinking about picking some of these up for a friend for Christmas. Just a bit curious, is that blu-ray sticker part of the packaging or is it something that can be removed so you can see the full cover art?

180248486.jpg

EDIT: Added example pic.

Alucrid

Banned
I like how barnes and noble sent my blu ray in just a plastic bag. no bubble wrap, no added protection, just a flimsy plastic bag.

omgkitty

Ugh fuck their website. I went to purchase Quadrophenia and I had a 50% off one item coupon and when I got all the way to checkout, it kept giving me the price with 50% off and then on the final page after I checked out, it told me the coupon was not applied. Are you fucking kidding me? Now I have to wait and see if they will cancel my order.

Himself

Why haven't they released any Weerasethakul? All of the dvd/blu ray releases of his films are garbage. You'd think that Palme D'or would have raised his international profile a bit.

swoon

Really feel like watching a good crime drama. Any recommendations? Was looking at Le cercle rouge but am open to others.

friends of eddie coyle
nikkatsu noir eclipse set
long good friday (though i'd get the non criterion blu-ray. it's cheap and alright)

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Why would you buy a regular blu-ray from B&N, there like a million dollars more than Amazon. Or in this case, four.

swoon

i'm just saying if you are in the store and are debating between something like the forgiveness of blood and rosetta. you should buy sunset blvd and be happy.

Downhome

The Monterey Pop: Criterion Collection BD is ringing up at $0.99 at Best Buy B&M stores.

This was first posted in a thread on DVDTalk. I saw it this morning and decided to check my local store as well. I came over at lunch and had them scan it, and sure enough it worked. It was NOT in a clearance section or bin. It was right on the shelf where it normally would be, with the normal sticker price of $49.99.

Just a heads up!

Here is a picture with my receipt...

http://i.imgur.com/ILjWF.jpg

I should also mention that if you want to check the price yourself without having them scan it, you can do so in store. You know those computers customers can use to look stuff up?

Go up to that and just do a search for it - it should show the $0.99 price on there.

For example, Dolly Parton's Backwoods Barbie CD is also $0.99. In store, on those coputers, it comes up there at the discount price. However, if you look it up on the normal BestBuy.com, it shows up at $4.99 like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Backwoo...kuId=8687478&st=dolly parton barbie&lp=1&cp=1

If you want to risk an employee picking it up, when you call and ask them to confirm the price, it should show up at $0.99 for them, as long as they actually look it up instead of being lazy and just going by the sticker price.

Also, if not mentioned yet, Best Buy B&M stores are price matching the B&N 50% off sale when asked - some take the 50% off the actualy Best Buy price, and others are taking the 50% off the B&N price. My local store is letting me buy them at 50% off the Best Buy price.

Az987

all good things
The Monterey Pop: Criterion Collection BD is ringing up at $0.99 at Best Buy B&M stores.

This was first posted in a thread on DVDTalk. I saw it this morning and decided to check my local store as well. I came over at lunch and had them scan it, and sure enough it worked. It was NOT in a clearance section or bin. It was right on the shelf where it normally would be, with the normal sticker price of $49.99.

Just a heads up!

Here is a picture with my receipt...

http://i.imgur.com/ILjWF.jpg

I should also mention that if you want to check the price yourself without having them scan it, you can do so in store. You know those computers customers can use to look stuff up?

Go up to that and just do a search for it - it should show the $0.99 price on there.

For example, Dolly Parton's Backwoods Barbie CD is also $0.99. In store, on those coputers, it comes up there at the discount price. However, if you look it up on the normal BestBuy.com, it shows up at $4.99 like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Backwoo...kuId=8687478&st=dolly parton barbie&lp=1&cp=1

If you want to risk an employee picking it up, when you call and ask them to confirm the price, it should show up at $0.99 for them, as long as they actually look it up instead of being lazy and just going by the sticker price.

Also, if not mentioned yet, Best Buy B&M stores are price matching the B&N 50% off sale when asked - some take the 50% off the actualy Best Buy price, and others are taking the 50% off the B&N price. My local store is letting me buy them at 50% off the Best Buy price.

Hmm... Going to go check that out at my best buy right now. Thanks for the tip!

edit: Can I be added to the My Criterion part of the OP?

http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/102256-adam-z/collection

Downhome

Don't trust the website. My store said unavailable before I went. If stock on something is down to just one or two, I believe, it says unavailable.

Downhome

Here are a couple of pictures - the first one is of the BD with my receipt and the second one is a shot of the in store computer where customers can look stuff up. It shows in their system at $0.99, but also note that the complete collection is not discounted. The price on BestBuy.com is not discounted, so you can not go by that. If your local store says unavailable, go in to make sure they don't have it anyway. I believe their system says when they get down to one or two in stock.

iE0Iy.jpg

hzi09.jpg

omgkitty

Of course B&N changed the price of Rashomon this past weekend before I got to order it and they still haven't corrected it! Get your shit together for fucks sake!!!

Someone on Criterion's Facebook page asked for a hint on this week's announcement, and they responded by saying:
"Sure, a film with Kyoko Kagawa is getting a Blu-ray upgrade."

The possibilities are:
Red Beard
Sansho the Baliff
The Bad Sleep Well
The Lower Depths
Tokyo Story

My guess is it will be either Tokyo Story or Sansho the Baliff since they just released a Kurosawa film. Either way, I will be very happy with any of those.

leroidys

Someone on Criterion's Facebook page asked for a hint on this week's announcement, and they responded by saying:
"Sure, a film with Kyoko Kagawa is getting a Blu-ray upgrade."

The possibilities are:
Red Beard
Sansho the Baliff
The Bad Sleep Well
The Lower Depths
Tokyo Story

My guess is it will be either Tokyo Story or Sansho the Baliff since they just released a Kurosawa film. Either way, I will be very happy with any of those.

I would be very, very happy with either of those.

With the rate that Criterion is releasing Ozu films on blu-ray, I've been considering getting a region-free player. Does anyone have any suggestions on a player? I was looking at this site, and their prices seem reasonable.

Time for my final sale trip!

•Breathless
•Charade
•Chungking Express
•Gold Rush
•Rosemary's Baby

I got lucky and found Chungking at the local chain. Interestingly, though, they claimed to have America Lost and Found—I couldn't find it. Plenty of great stuff for Christmas this year.

Top Bottom