• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

I'm waiting for Criterion to push out both Eraserhead and Hard Eight, which would add Lynch and PTA to their catalogue. Then, perhaps, I'd like to see them adopt Punch-Drunk Love and maybe The Master if it all possible sometime off in the future.

But TWBB and Boogie Nights seem off-limits in general. Too much money involved for the distributors to license to Criterion, let alone home video rights.

Kellen

I'm waiting for Criterion to push out both Eraserhead and Hard Eight, which would add Lynch and PTA to their catalogue. Then, perhaps, I'd like to see them adopt Punch-Drunk Love and maybe The Master if it all possible sometime off in the future.

But TWBB and Boogie Nights seem off-limits in general. Too much money involved for the distributors to license to Criterion, let alone home video rights.

Boogie actually had a criterion release on laser disc back in the day, I'm surprised that it didn't get put on dvd.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The TTWB is probably the most tastefully done major studio blu ray I have. The old film footage set to Greenwood's music feels like a Criterion extra.

But I would like to see Hard Eight or The Master come to Criterion either way.

big ander

Wonder if there's ever a chance of an Eclipse boxset of all those Turkish comedies that top icm comedy lists. I want to see how good they really are, or bad depending on who you ask. excuse I've read a couple times is that the humor is very cultural, which I get but in my mind a top list shouldn't be dominated by one culture. ah well

DVD or BluRay? Barnes and Noble is currently having a 50% off sale right now and I posted a 30% off coupon earlier that you can stack on that.

I picked up a blu ray copy in store for 15.22 after tax today

Blu-ray; I've been on a kick lately picking up Blu-rays. I've never actually seen The Game...

That seems like a great deal, especially with the quality of the transfer.

Blind buying Criterions is something we all do often lol

He he, yes; I have the Kwaidan Criterion DVD but it's about time I step in to the big leagues. Think I may go to B&N and pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for posting the coupon!

Oh wait, only good tonight...Guess I'll pick up The Game online at least.

it has so little re-watch value for me though... I'd have a hard time justifying full criterion price or even the 20.00 on sale.

Wow, I've never thought of it as non-rewatchable. I've seen it at least a dozen times at this point. It's kind of the quintessential film from a certain perspective; a primer on how film and entertainment works. I revisit it often.

Wow, I've never thought of it as non-rewatchable. I've seen it at least a dozen times at this point. It's kind of the quintessential film from a certain perspective; a primer on how film and entertainment works. I revisit it often.
Sounds like The Stunt Man, then. And I love that film, though it's currently on the Severin label.

I guess I just dislike the main conceit of the film. Kinda ruins the suspense and intrigue for me because there is no
real danger for him at any time.

But I can see the value of it if you're looking at the whole thing as a metaphor for movies.

see5harp

I actually own The Game on laserdisc and never bothered getting a DVD release. Amazon has most of the blu-ray's I want for cheaper or the same price as B&N. Thank you!!!

The Game is so fucking absurd conceptually and completely outlandish in its execution that it's flat-out ridiculous, and yet I've seen the movie three times and will probably watch it again before my time here on this planet is up, partly to watch the performances, partly to study Fincher's seamless direction, partly to just escape into the luxurious, splendid production design.

tumblr_mdr7eajFX91qa6obyo3_1280.jpg

This is seriously some of the best news of the year!

Oh did anybody see the latest newsletter hint?
It's Medium Cool.

Producer of the Masters of Cinema Series, Andrew Utterson stated “In March, we welcome legendary French director Claude Chabrol into the series for the very first time, with a back-to-back French New Wave double-bill, Le Beau Serge [Handsome Serge] and Les Cousins [The Cousins], alongside fellow French filmmaker Henri-Georges Clouzot’s exquisite comedy-thriller The Murderer Lives at 21 [L'Assassin habite au 21].

More cinematic treats follow in April with a stunning new presentation of Michelangelo Antonioni’s majestic slice of Italian art cinema La notte [The Night] as well as rare treasures in the form of a blazing new restoration of Yūzō Kawashima’s utterly thrilling but long-unavailable-in-the-west Bakumatsu taiyō-den [aka A Sun-Tribe Myth from the Bakumatsu Era] and the collected release of fellow Japanese filmmaker Sadao Yamanaka’s entire surviving works

Can't post artwork from my phone, follow the link for covers:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12...nouncements-park-row-and-trouble-in-paradise/

So excited for that Yamanaka set. I loved Humanity and Paper Balloons and Tange Sazen, so I can't wait to see the third surviving film and the various fragments.

Unfortunately I think MoC Blu-rays are region locked. Still I'm glad to heard Bakumatsu Taiyoden is finally getting released in English. Now hopefully they'll release more of Kawashima's work.

Unfortunately I think MoC Blu-rays are region locked. Still I'm glad to heard Bakumatsu Taiyoden is finally getting released in English. Now hopefully they'll release more of Kawashima's work.

Most are locked but not all. And there is a few cheap basic but competent region all players out there (namely Toshiba Bdx-1200, got one for 59€).

Plus MoC ships everywhere for free. I wished it were the same for criterion...

Region-locking is terrible.

Is there any word if Criterion is going to put out an Akira Kurosawa collection on bluray? I'm assuming that would be a ways off since they haven't released all but I noticed they did one for DVD and I just started watching some of his films and really love them. I already got kagemusha, sanjuro, and yojimbo on bluray and wouldn't mind watching the rest if there was a way to buy them. I think there's 2 or 3 on bluray that I haven't bought yet that have been released but a collection would be idea naturally.

AK 100, a set of 25 Kurosawa DVDs, has been out for quite some time. It should be easily visible on Criterion's film front page.

Whoops, I meant if anyone knew if they were planning a bluray verison of it. I saw the DVD version on amazon but I'd rather hold off if they plan on a bluray version since the 3 or 4 I have on bluray now look really good.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
It's doubtful but if they ever did it would be a long time from now. They have to remaster the films for blu-ray, and they've so far only done 6 of the 25. A lot of them are obscure early films from Eclipse sets too that they probably wouldn't bother with. Like I really don't need to see Sanshiro Sugata Part 2 in all it's glory.

It's doubtful but if they ever did it would be a long time from now. They have to remaster the films for blu-ray, and they've so far only done 6 of the 25. A lot of them are obscure early films from Eclipse sets too that they probably wouldn't bother with. Like I really don't need to see Sanshiro Sugata Part 2 in all it's glory.

Ya, that's sort of what I figured unfortunately, I figured didn't hurt to ask just in case. Maybe I'll just break down and get the dvd set then.

omgkitty

What's this?

Criterion Collection ‏@Criterion
We’ll be announcing our new releases for March later on today... It’s a big one.

Criterion Corner ‏@CriterionCorner
methinks i'll probably be on the airport by the time Criterion announces their March releases, but you guys are gonna be VERY happy. trust.

Le Samourai? Kurosawa? Bergman?

Top Bottom