• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

I ended up getting Sansho the Bailiff and Tokyo Drifter. I am tempted to also get Pale Flower, but I think I will just wait for the July B&N sale and buy it with The Life of Oharu.

Releases to come from Twilight Time.

HARD TIMES (1975) BLU-RAY - June 11th
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN (1970) BLU-RAY - June 11th
SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE (1993) BLU-RAY - July 9th
LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING (1955) BLU-RAY - July 9th
THE DRIVER (1978) BLU-RAY - July 23rd
BODY DOUBLE (1984) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th
SEXY BEAST (2000) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th
THE DISAPPEARANCE (1977) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th
DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK (1939) BLU-RAY w/Becoming John Ford (2007) - Sept 10th
ALAMO BAY (1985) BLU-RAY - Sept 10th
MINDWARP (1992) BLU-RAY - Oct 8th
THE OTHER (1972) BLU-RAY - Oct 8th
OLIVER! (1968) BLU-RAY - Nov 12th
THE WAY WE WERE (1973) BLU-RAY - Nov 12th
JANE EYRE (1944) BLU-RAY - Nov 12th

The Mulligan is one of my favourite movies and I've never seen the Ford.

Blackheim

If not, they should be :p I picked up Brazil & Naked Lunch blu-rays. Already have Brazil in hand, Naked Lunch should arrive today. Kind of wish I didn't buy Repo Man on day 1 but hey, it was worth it.

codhand

If not, they should be :p I picked up Brazil & Naked Lunch blu-rays. Already have Brazil in hand, Naked Lunch should arrive today. Kind of wish I didn't buy Repo Man on day 1 but hey, it was worth it.

i guess i never mentioned here cause im trying not to think about it, after my plasma purchase :)

One thing that has always frustrated me about Criterion is with mixed language films they don't include a track that subtitles the English portions as well. Watching Band of Outsiders on blu at the moment and this annoyance came back to my attention.

The worst examples I can think of are Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence and Carlos, where huge chunks are entirely in English. It seems like such a weird thing to not take into consideration. I have a hard time following dialogue sometimes so I often find myself rewinding.

today's the day, any predictions?

Eraserhead (probably not) and The Life Aquatic (The Royal Tenenbaums was last August).

Edit: I would also like to add that Richard Linklater's "Before" trilogy absolutely needs the Criterion treatment, but I doubt few would protest its inclusion.

I imagine Eraserhead, The Brood/Scanners, etc will be October releases to tie in with the grand Halloween.

As for today I really have no clue, I've stopped guessing. Maybe the fabled WCF boxset? Border Radio on blu-ray? :3 Kidding of course but lately I feel there have been a lot of surprises with things like Seconds and the two Ray films over the Apu Trilogy. A lot of these are films we might have known they had the rights to, but not necessarily expected them to release over other things.

They will finally announce Edward Yang... Right? :(

Shame A Brighter Summer Day is being held up by music rights, I haven't seen it but it's always been on my must watch list due to the praise and experience I had watching Yi Yi. Hopefully one day it, and many of the other World Cinema Foundation films are finally put out by Criterion.

Shame A Brighter Summer Day is being held up by music rights, I haven't seen it but it's always been on my must watch list due to the praise and experience I had watching Yi Yi. Hopefully one day it, and many of the other World Cinema Foundation films are finally put out by Criterion.

I remember someone from CC saying they had the music issue covered but it's the Taiwanese government keeping them from getting a good print. This was like three years ago though.

I remember someone from CC saying they had the music issue covered but it's the Taiwanese government keeping them from getting a good print. This was like three years ago though.

Oh really? I hadn't heard about that, was under the impression it was the Elvis tracks still keeping things locked. Although now that I look around it seems it was something I just kind of assumed. Although I'm almost sure Criterion mentioned the music being difficult to handle. The Taiwanese government is holding the World Cinema Foundation's restoration though? I knew WCF didn't actual hold the distribution rights but didn't know the Taiwanese government had them instead. In any case I hope it gets resolved sometime in the foreseeable feature.

According to phantom page analysis (it's only the hottest thing at CriterionForum.com), we're getting the whole Rossellini/Bergman trilogy as expected. I wonder what else...

672_BD_box_348x490.jpg

Hopefully that's provisional, way too cluttered. Perhaps it'll grow on me.

I just think the way they laid out the text looks a bit weird. 3 Films by Roberto Starring Ingrid, etc. It's obviously spaced apart but it still just seems a bit wonky to me. The actual, yellow block text is nice though.

The text on its own is fine, and the replication is clever once you pointed that out to me. Just don't think I feel Roberto/Ingrid bit is well laid out. Not an awful cover by any means though.

It's nice to see The Spy Who Came In From The Cold finally coming to blu-ray. It was originally one of Criterion's blu-ray launch titles but it never happened for some reason. I don't remember the particulars.

And I'm really excited to finally watch Autumn Sonata, I never bothered picking up the DVD because it was non-anamorphic and I figured they'd get around to upgrading it eventually. And here we are!

Heard a lot about the Rossellini/Berman collaborations so I'm excited to finally watch them as well. My current knowledge of Rossellini is shamefully small, although Rome Open City was brilliant. I need to watch Paisan and Germany War Zero still. Also bought the Taking of Power by Louie XIV eons ago but never got around to watching it as I wanted to watch some of his earlier work first for context.

Will wait until I can find the Slacker blu-ray for 15 dollars or less. It's a decent movie, and certainly one of their most packed releases but given how much I'm backtracked in terms of films I need to purchase I can't afford to upgrade dvds I already own.

Not familiar with La Cage Aux Folles at all, will look more into it after I take a nap.

Edit: The new covers are nice with the exception of the Rossellini/Bergman collection which still isn't awful. I really like the Autumn Sonata one, it reminds me a lot of Still Walking's cover.

Edit: 2 The individual covers for the Bergman/Rossellini set are listed in the packaging thread on criterionforum kitty if you want to update your post.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
The Making of “Autumn Sonata,” a three-and-a-half-hour program examining every aspect of the production

About a 100 minute movie of two people in a room talking to each other? :lol

This is a straight troll extra for all you people complaining Criterion has been slipping on the bonuses. I expect you all to watch it and give me a 8 page report in the morning.

swoon

About a 100 minute movie of two people in a room talking to each other? :lol

This is a straight troll extra for all you people complaining Criterion has been slipping on the bonuses. I expect you all to watch it and give me a 8 page report in the morning.

yea really. they don't even give us a commentary on each of the bergman/rossellini films.

Would I be right in assuming Criterion DVDs/Blu Rays are region locked? UK here and was thinking of importing for a gift.

Yes, every Criterion blu-ray is Region A locked and the DVDs are region 1 locked. A few of the earlier dvd releases are region free though. DVD region protection can be broken much, much easier than blu-ray though. If you have a PC you can circumvent this using Power DVD(although you're limited to 5 switches *wink wink*) or you can rip the blu-rays and strip them of protection. You tend to lose a bit of quality when you rip blu-rays files with Makemkv though.

Two great sites to check region codes for any given blu-ray are dvdbeaver.com and blu-ray.com respectively.

My father will be very pleased to know that La Cage aux Folles, one of his favorite films from college, is turning up on this label. The page screenshot alone looks in great shape—watching it on Netflix was merely fine.

Autumn Sonata and Spy really deserved upgrades, especially the former. I hope this leads to more Ritt, Lumet, and Frankenheimer coming from Criterion. They're quite a trio, coming from American TV productions to make amazing stuff on the big.

Slacker and Rossellini/Bergman's great stuff. I guess they were trying to mimic the poster Janus has been using for Voyage to Italy.

jordisok

Yes, every Criterion blu-ray is Region A locked and the DVDs are region 1 locked. A few of the earlier dvd releases are region free though. DVD region protection can be broken much, much easier than blu-ray though. If you have a PC you can circumvent this using Power DVD(although you're limited to 5 switches *wink wink*) or you can rip the blu-rays and strip them of protection. You tend to lose a bit of quality when you rip blu-rays files with Makemkv though.

Two great sites to check region codes for any given blu-ray are dvdbeaver.com and blu-ray.com respectively.

Ahh thank you :). Kinda lazy me asking but figured someone in this thread would know best! That scuppers my plan somewhat.

This and Eraserhead? CC's going for the kill. They need to start releasing more Shinoda and Rivette, really.

Technically, this is all based on a Tumblr post, which isn't terribly reputable. The most recent release is from StudioCanal, which indicates that Lionsgate could have home video rights. Criterion nabbing anything from them's a tough game.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Criterion posts images on Twitter and Facebook frequently that aren't from films they're releasing; sometimes it's related to a news item, an anniversary or death, or simply because they felt like posting it.

Eraserhead is a confirmed project, but I'll believe Mulholland Drive when I see it.

Ridley327

Look what just popped up on iTunes!

1cnl0lM.png
aL2uBBB.png

I'm still holding out a small shred of hope of a surprise Early Cronenberg box set with Shivers and Rabid going with these two. I can't imagine anyone but Criterion doing anything with those films at this point.

In any event, I can't wait for these.

inm8num2

Look what just popped up on iTunes!

1cnl0lM.png
aL2uBBB.png

I'm still holding out a small shred of hope of a surprise Early Cronenberg box set with Shivers and Rabid going with these two. I can't imagine anyone but Criterion doing anything with those films at this point.

In any event, I can't wait for these.

Would be fantastic. Love those cover pics.

Top Bottom