• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

Downhome

I'm gonna toss this out there. I have a new copy of The World on a Wire BD if any of you would like to trade another Criterion BD for it. Let me know.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm gonna toss this out there. I have a new copy of The World on a Wire BD if any of you would like to trade another Criterion BD for it. Let me know.
I'd maybe (a matter of if I can find a way to ship it in a timely manner, I'll have no issue with removing it from my collection) be up for trading The Thin Red Line BD.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
The cases Criterion uses for BDs shame the rest of the industry.

I almost don't want to buy Bluray movies that aren't Criterion Collection.

edit: Also, the Antichrist BD has AMAZING picture quality. It's so awesome. Especially for the slow-motion scenes.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
xkwca.jpg

Time to step up your game, Criterion.

Kind of thinking the next incarnation of the thread should cast a wider net to include stuff like MoC, BFI, Twilight Time, Olive, Kino, etc. We're finally at a point with blu-ray where there's a really substantial number of classic restorations and forgotten/unusual stuff getting the HD treatment, and Criterion is far from being the only interesting kid on the block in this area.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
xkwca.jpg

Kind of thinking the next incarnation of the thread should cast a wider net to include stuff like MoC, BFI, Twilight Time, Olive, Kino, etc. We're finally at a point with blu-ray where there's a really substantial number of classic restorations and forgotten/unusual stuff getting the HD treatment, and Criterion is far from being the only interesting kid on the block in this area.

I agree. It'd be nice to have an all-encompassing thread from the different companies that release the older classics. I've started keeping an eye out for MoC Blu Rays which I believe you've posted in the thread.

xkwca.jpg

Excellent idea. I'm only aware of MoC releases and somewhat Criterion's (only thanks to this thread).

Cassavetes on blu makes me all giddy.

Downhome

I'd maybe (a matter of if I can find a way to ship it in a timely manner, I'll have no issue with removing it from my collection) be up for trading The Thin Red Line BD.

I'd do that in a second if I didn't already have it. If you have any others let me know.

If anyone else is interested let me know, thanks.

Alucrid

Banned
Eh, yeah, so apparently when I made my order stuff that said in stock was actually out of stock, so they haven't shipped yet sadly. :(

xkwca.jpg

oh man...oh MAN...

I need these Blu's right now.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Can anyone recommend me some Criterion discs with good commentaries? Preferably ones that come with good movies too!

I've been listening to the roundtable on Seven Samurai in chunks and it's pretty... educational. I need more like this.

Sleepy

He's BenBirdie. I shouldn't need to say anymore.

Right. lol I forgot that he was one of us (RB&).

Anyway, I know I have brought this up before, but I would like to know the quality of the Essential Art House collection. In other words, is it really a wise idea to spend 25-30 on an older movie on Blu-ray, when the Art House version is 15? Is the quality THAT much better for the Blu? Any experienced viewers' advice would be helpful.

Can anyone recommend me some Criterion discs with good commentaries? Preferably ones that come with good movies too!

Not really a commentary, but Polanski is interviewed on the Repulsion disc. I found it quite interesting. Also, again not a commentary, but on Rushmore there are Charlie Rose interviews of Murray and Anderson. The Murray talk on show business is really compelling.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Anyway, I know I have brought this up before, but I would like to know the quality of the Essential Art House collection. In other words, is it really a wise idea to spend 25-30 on an older movie on Blu-ray, when the Art House version is 15? Is the quality THAT much better for the Blu? Any experienced viewers' advice would be helpful.

Well it's really up to you whether or not it's worth it, but the difference in picture quality is significant. I'm not sure I understand the question unless you're suggesting that older films don't benefit as much from from higher resolutions, because they very much do. Go to dvdbeaver and check out some comparisons.

pizzaroll said:

I've been listening to the roundtable on Seven Samurai in chunks and it's pretty... educational. I need more like this.

I also found that one in particular remarkable due to the exhaustive amount of information in it, but other than that nothing comes to mind. I think that one's pretty much the peak. Any other commentaries I like are usually because I like the movie and just want to know more about it. I don't think I've ever really come across a bad one yet.

Sleepy

I'm not sure I understand the question unless you're suggesting that older films don't benefit as much from from higher resolutions

I guess that was what I was getting at, as I really haven't done a side-by-side comparison. Thanks for the response. I guess I will spend the extra money for the best PQ.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

Peter Cowie's track on Tokyo Olympiad runs for the entire 3+ hours and is loaded with endlessly fascinating background and information about all of the different competitors and events; the film itself is an absolute marvel, too, and that's coming from someone who doesn't give a damn about sports whatsoever.

While I haven't seen the movie (not a Godard fan), Robert Stam's commentary on Contempt has been regarded for years as one of the absolute best in the collection.

I'm also going to suggest regular Soderbergh interviewing crazy Soderbergh on the Schizopolis disc, but both the movie and his absolutely bizarre sense on humor are an acquired taste. I love it to death, but plenty of people just don't understand what its fans see in this one.

FnordChan

Peter Cowie's track on Tokyo Olympiad runs for the entire 3+ hours and is loaded with endlessly fascinating background and information about all of the different competitors and events; the film itself is an absolute marvel, too, and that's coming from someone who doesn't give a damn about sports whatsoever.

Man, I thought I was the only person who loved this commentary. Tokyo Olympiad has my absolute favorite commentary track, hands down. And, like Cosmic, I'm not a sports person at all - yet, I adore Tokyo Olympiad and find the commentary to be completely fascinating. Unfortunately, the disc is out of print, but if you can track it down it's top notch.

FnordChan

Today they finally responded to my email that I sent out to them on Feb. 22 about a broken Anti-Christ case I got from the valentine day sale. They did send me a new case though which makes me happy

Sleepy

Today they finally responded to my email that I sent out to them on Feb. 22 about a broken Anti-Christ case I got from the valentine day sale. They did send me a new case though which makes me happy

What did you think of the film?

Just received Belle de Jour and Traffic in the mail today...Psyched! Still haven't had the time to watch Vivre sa Vie which I bought two weeks ago...Sad!

For those of you who have purchased from BN's half-off sale, what have the dates been traditionally? When would the next sale be?

What did you think of the film?

Just received Belle de Jour and Traffic in the mail today...Psyched! Still haven't had the time to watch Vivre sa Vie which I bought two weeks ago...Sad!

For those of you who have purchased from BN's half-off sale, what have the dates been traditionally? When would the next sale be?

I haven't had time to watch it yet )-:

omgkitty

I finally added the May releases to the OP since the new titles will be announced tomorrow. What's everyone hoping for? I'd really like to see Gold Rush and a Kurosawa release.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Aw, man.

It's probably the Spalding Grey box set.

God damn it.
Really? I don't see anything about this still...I really want these and the Soderbergh documentary.

Zia

June Criterion releases announced:

The 39 Steps
And Everything is Going Fine
The Gold Rush
Gray's Anatomy
The Samurai Trilogy
Shallow Grave

Very excited for the Hitchcock, the Chaplin and The Samurai Trilogy, which was one of my first foreign film purchases many years ago as well as what was probably Criterion's weakest release.

Amusing snippet from The Gold Rush description:

"This special edition features both Chaplin’s definitive 1942 version, for which the director added new music and narration, and a new restoration of the original silent 1925 film."

Yes. "Definitive."

omgkitty

I really think the hate against the first two Chaplin covers is very unwarranted. While I don't think Moss' cover for The Great Dictator is the best, it's certainly interesting and Sam Smith's Modern Times cover is wonderful, but then again I think the fact that so many people whine about covers so much is very stupid. I should have made the OT tagline "the cover is shit" instead of "insert title here".

I really think the hate against the first two Chaplin covers is very unwarranted. While I don't think Moss' cover for The Great Dictator is the best, it's certainly interesting and Sam Smith's Modern Times cover is wonderful, but then again I think the fact that so many people whine about covers so much is very stupid. I should have made the OT tagline "the cover is shit" instead of "insert title here".

lol, you really should have

Top Bottom