• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

teepo

July:

166_BD_box_348x490.jpg
485_BD_box_348x490.jpg
326_BD_box_348x490.jpg
xxx_BD_box_348x490.jpg
Gremillon_3D_slipcase.png

Bill Paxton's voiceovers were as fake as a three dollar bill, never mind when he's onscreen trying to like, act and stuff. What an awful piece of miscasting! Go ahead, listen to his read of "OH GOD, HE'S DEAD!", tell me that's not right out of a Saturday Night Live skit where everyone's trying not to crack up.

Bridget Fonda wasn't much better. Mind you, the tin-eared screenplay didn't do anyone any favors. "I know you ain't pulling down that much at the feed store." *cringe*

fake edit: If you weren't morally offended at Criterion publishing a Brian De Palma thriller, you'll probably have a good time with Shallow Grave. If not, I'll gladly refund the cost of reading this post.

Month-old post, but... I disagree.

Also, how the HELL is that particular line an example of tin-eared dialogue? I live in Illinois of all places, and I've heard people say things like that countless times.

teepo

Whit Stillman is easily one of the most underrated directors in the criterion catalog. The Last Days of Disco is a must have.

omgkitty

Le Havre is the only thing I'm looking forward to in July. I guess I won't have to load up on new releases in July when the Barnes and Noble sale is (hopefully) going on.

swoon

Whit Stillman is easily one of the most underrated directors in the criterion catalog. The Last Days of Disco is a must have.

yea, it's real annoying that they didn't get the rights to barcelona and put out his trilogy a la blue/white/red to build some following of his work, especially when theses films are much better overall than trois colours.

Shiv47

Rosemary's Baby basically confirmed in the new newsletter (drawing of large stalk of rosemary and small stalk with a heart between them).

The Woman Chaser with Patrick Warburton.

I really just want someone to release this and a criterion collection would be the best.

Sleepy

Amazon has quite a few Criterion's on sale (Thanks to XShagrath for the list):

Fanny and Alexander $28.99
Secret Sunshine $18.49
400 Blows $19.99
Breathless $19.99
Thin Red Line $18.99
Diabolique $18.99
Black Narcissus $18.49
Sweet Smell of Success $19.49
The Red Shoes $19.49
Wings of Desire $19.49
Double Life of Veronique $19.49
3 Women $18.99
Topsy Turvy $17.49
Design For Living $20.42
Broadcast News $19.49
Senso $18.49
Still Walking $19.49
El Norte $18.49
Lola Montes $17.99
A Christmas Tale $17.99
The Times of Harvey Milk $18.49
Summer Hours $18.99
Fish Tank $20.49
My Life as a Dog $20.49
Smiles of a Summer Night $19.49
The Mikado $19.49
Au revoir les enfants $19.49
Kes $19.49
Yi Yi $19.49
Blow Out $20.49
Beauty and the Beast $20.49
Dazed and Confused $20.49
Lady Vanishes $20.99
12 Angry Men $20.99
Last Temptation of Christ $20.99
Belle de Jour $20.99
Bottle Rocket $20.99

I searched for others on my to-buy list, but no luck...YMMV.

Oh, and Rosemary's Baby? Yes, please!

dvdjamm

I guess I should read the whole post before asking something that might have been asked already...But I'll chance it. Any chance of this being updated and re-released on blu-ray?
51xX6xwbY6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just picked up Diabolique. Wish I didn't spend all my money at Best Buy on the upgrade and save sale or else I would have gotten more films

codhand

I guess I should read the whole post before asking something that might have been asked already...But I'll chance it. Any chance of this being updated and re-released on blu-ray?

Whoa cool, didn't know about this.

Just picked up Diabolique. Wish I didn't spend all my money at Best Buy on the upgrade and save sale or else I would have gotten more films

Just wait, Barnes and Noble usually have two 50% off all Criterion sales a year.

omgkitty

Damn, I don't have 8 1/2 & Seven Samurai yet - was hoping to find it on the list :(

I think you'll come to find that the titles on sale are usually the ones you have already or the ones you don't want. They had some titles from recent that were on sale but the two I need, World on a Wire and Anatomy of a Murder were not on sale.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Not Criterion, but another good example of why the next thread has to cover a broader release spectrum:

DgwRL.jpg

August 7th from Olive Films, who are really killing it these days with catalog releases.

Also, the BFI Cassavetes discs are all region-free(!) so far, which is wonderful news for interested parties. I swear, it may actually be time for me to get back into the HD game soon...

swoon

Not Criterion, but another good example of why the next thread has to cover a broader release spectrum:

DgwRL.jpg

August 7th from Olive Films, who are really killing it these days with catalog releases.

Also, the BFI Cassavetes discs are all region-free(!) so far, which is wonderful news for interested parties. I swear, it may actually be time for me to get back into the HD game soon...

olive is doing god's work really.

51U66Ogug-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Where did Olive Films come from? They have some amazing titles lined up for 2012.

They've been around for a while on limited-run theatrical distributions, and a few years ago started capitalizing on the fact that the big studios now prefer to license out the bulk of their older film libraries rather than put the effort and money into doing it themselves.

I could see these guys being a pretty significant label several years down the road.

Sleepy

OMG. MoC is overseas, correct?

Also, picked up Last Year at Marienbad as a blind buy because I like Robbe-Grillet. I fell asleep three times during it. I know there is a good movie there, maybe I was just tired. Also, a source at B&N sames June for the sale.

omgkitty

OMG. MoC is overseas, correct?

Also, picked up Last Year at Marienbad as a blind buy because I like Robbe-Grillet. I fell asleep three times during it. I know there is a good movie there, maybe I was just tired. Also, a source at B&N says June for the sale.

That would be awesome even though I'm pretty sure the sale would end right before The 39 Steps and The Samurai Trilogy were released. I'm assuming they'd like to get ahead of a box set release as they don't want to lose too much money if possible.

Well holy shit, Rumble Fish!
I truly think it's one of the most beautifully directed films in cinema, I'm definitely in for that.
RoGoPaG also offers some of the only nouvelle vague-Godard that I am yet to see too, couldn't be happier MoC!

omgkitty

What's everyone hoping for today? I really want some sort of big announcement. I feel like it's been a while since we've had a big upgrade from someone like Kurosawa or Fellini. Hell, give me some new Melville or Wong Kar-wai. Last August was amazing and I bought every release (The Killing, Secret Sunshine, Jean Vigo, Cul-de-sac, If...., The Battle of Algiers and Orpheus). I wan't something awesome like that again.

What's everyone hoping for today? I really want some sort of big announcement. I feel like it's been a while since we've had a big upgrade from someone like Kurosawa or Fellini. Hell, give me some new Melville or Wong Kar-wai. Last August was amazing and I bought every release (The Killing, Secret Sunshine, Jean Vigo, Cul-de-sac, If...., The Battle of Algiers and Orpheus). I wan't something awesome like that again.

They've already broken the biggest movie news of all times
http://criterioncollection.tumblr.c...ng-soon-to-our-youtube-channel-a-four-episode

The director of Boogie Nights and its biggest star.

omgkitty

620_BD_box_348x490.jpg
621_BD_box_348x490.jpg

157_BD_box_348x490.jpg
622_BD_box_348x490.jpg
623_BD_box_348x3490.jpg
624_BD_box_348x490.jpg

Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I'll definitely take The Royal Tenenbaums and Quadrophenia. Also, all the covers are great and anyone who disagrees is crazy.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Oh Royal Tenenbaums is nice, will buy. Since he only makes one movie that's the version to get.

Top Bottom