• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
No Swimming to Cambodia.....hm.

J2d

I'm grateful that we have gotten three outlaw samurai and now the samurai trilogy but I sure hope this doesn't mean that they will hold off on sword of doom. I need it badly.

Ridley327

I really think the hate against the first two Chaplin covers is very unwarranted. While I don't think Moss' cover for The Great Dictator is the best, it's certainly interesting and Sam Smith's Modern Times cover is wonderful, but then again I think the fact that so many people whine about covers so much is very stupid. I should have made the OT tagline "the cover is shit" instead of "insert title here".

This is my problem with the Modern Times cover: it's a film with some of the most iconic imagery known in the medium, and they went with a headshot with two crappy-looking gears over Chaplin's eyes.

omgkitty

I have added all of the new titles to the OP and have included the new covers here. Hopefully The Samurai Trilogy covers will be just as awesome as the rest of the batch for June. I wonder what the hold up is?

615_BD_box_384x490.jpg
616_BD_box_348x490.jpg
617_BD_box_348x490.jpg
618_BD_box_348x490.jpg
56_BD_box_348x490.jpg

Might just be me but The 39 Steps cover doesn't seem evocative of the film. Like, at all.
I realise the cover is replicating an actual scene from the film but it seems a forceful ham-fisted way of unnecessary linking this film with North By Northwest and it's disappointing.

DeadTrees

I really like the cover for Shallow Grave, is the movie any good?

Take A Simple Plan, add a shoestring budget, a lot of style and nasty British venom, and subtract the brain-damaged script and atrocious performances. There you go!

Not a deep movie or anything, but it doesn't really need to be, if you know what I mean. I do wonder if the brief shot of male bits will be censored, as The Last Temptation of Christ was.

fake edit: Pretty sure the typeface on the cover is the same one used in the opening credits. It's always nice to see cover art that doesn't use the same twenty fonts everyone else does.

Sleepy

Just watched Belle de Jour. Very good...After the film I watch the supplementary trailers and it is amazing how bad the footage was. If I ever question the validity of buying Blus again, you guys can ban me from the thread. It is shocking how much restoration work probably goes into these.

omgkitty

Criterion announced last week with the other announcements that Harold and Maude is being moved back to June 12th instead of it's original April announcement. It's kind of too bad seeing as besides Late Spring, April is looking kind of boring as far as releases go.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just bought that Metropolis poster through pure reflex, my brain didn't catch up till I got the confirmation, ha.

omgkitty

I had a question about MoC's Le Silence de la mer blu-ray. On Amazon.co.uk it says that it is region free, so is that both the blu-ray and DVD? I know some of their releases are region locked and others aren't and just wanted to be sure.

Edit: Just read the DVDBeaver review and it seems the blu-ray is region free while the DVD itself is region-locked.

Just a heads-up: Best Buy, depending on which store you go to, seems to have a couple of Criterion Blu-Rays available for purchase. The store I went to today had some movies to choose from, although the selections available seem more geared towards American films than foreign, and they were being sold for $29.99 each

Just a heads-up: Best Buy, depending on which store you go to, seems to have a couple of Criterion Blu-Rays available for purchase. The store I went to today had some movies to choose from, although the selections available seem more geared towards American films than foreign, and they were being sold for $29.99 each

blahh I might as well stick with Amazon unless they decide to have a sale

DeadTrees

A Simple Plan has atrocious performances? Wha?
Bill Paxton's voiceovers were as fake as a three dollar bill, never mind when he's onscreen trying to like, act and stuff. What an awful piece of miscasting! Go ahead, listen to his read of "OH GOD, HE'S DEAD!", tell me that's not right out of a Saturday Night Live skit where everyone's trying not to crack up.

Bridget Fonda wasn't much better. Mind you, the tin-eared screenplay didn't do anyone any favors. "I know you ain't pulling down that much at the feed store." *cringe*

fake edit: If you weren't morally offended at Criterion publishing a Brian De Palma thriller, you'll probably have a good time with Shallow Grave. If not, I'll gladly refund the cost of reading this post.

big ander

definite buy.
Kindergarten Cop
stLSi.jpg

SYNOPSIS: Historically, the policier and the family comedy were two distinct categories. Then, in 1990, Kindergarten Cop gave us all a lesson in genre revisionism. With muscular sensitivity, Hollywood’s last action hero Arnold Schwarzenegger embodies detective John Kimble, who is compelled to go undercover as a teacher of five-year-olds in order to catch a ponytailed drug dealer. Though it’s distinguished by pulse-pounding suspense, a Crayola-bright palette by cinematographer Michael Chapman (Taxi Driver), and trenchant observations about education in the Bush I era, the film’s emotional center is Schwarzenegger’s gruff yet good-tempered interaction with a class full of precocious scamps, including a tumor-forewarning death-obsessive and a genitalia expert. By leavening a children’s film with enough violence to please even the most cold-hearted bastard, director Ivan Reitman shows that he refuses to color inside the lines.

DISC FEATURES

CONTINUITY-ASSISTANT-APPROVED THREE-DISC SPECIAL EDITION:

New high-definition digital restoration of the 1990 director’s cut, presented in 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
New audio commentary featuring Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, author of It Takes a Village: And Other Lessons Children Can Teach Us
Excerpts from the French television program Cinéastes de notre temps: “Ivan Reitman”
Kindergarten Cops Today, a new hour-long documentary featuring former New York City police detectives Frank Serpico and Robert Leuci, former San Francisco police inspector Dave Toschi, and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg
From “Fingers” to Finger-Painting, an interview with cinematographer Michael Chapman
Archival video of Schwarzenegger’s acceptance speeches for the Favorite Movie Actor award at the 1989 and 1991 Kids’ Choice Awards
The Kids Aren’t All Right, an analysis of all the cuts made to ensure a PG-13 rating
More than six hundred minutes of rare behind-the-scenes and archival footage
Seven theatrical trailers
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by former police reporter and creator of The Wire David Simon and a reprint of James Agee’s original review of the film
bonus: Kurosawa visits the set
tumblr_m1tf7nSdNG1qd3lbbo1_500.jpg

Risette

A Good Citizen
yeah way better jordan crane covers lol smh
Are you able to actually defend these covers (as for which ones you're talking about I don't know, did "Jordan Crane" do all of the recent covers???) rather than just namedropping an artist as if talented people aren't able to misfire (sometimes multiple times!!) and expecting us to know who they are and what they've done or am I just expecting too much from you

Are you able to actually defend these covers (as for which ones you're talking about I don't know, did "Jordan Crane" do all of the recent covers???) rather than just namedropping an artist as if talented people aren't able to misfire (sometimes multiple times!!) and expecting us to know who they are and what they've done or am I just expecting too much from you

If this is a for real question, he drew the Harold And Maude cover.

Top Bottom