• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I'm totally sold, Trevor is just fine as a successor. This just feels like the Daily Show. Carry on.

Yeah. One week in and I'm feeling they made a pretty good decision. Tonight's Planned Parenthood segment brought it.

EDIT: Jessica and Trevor's segment as well.

IronRinn

I feel like Noah did a whole lot of tape watching. His delivery is strangely identical to Stewart's. Like, I can't help but swap them in my mind as I hear him talk.

Yeah, it's kind of crazy how much he's imitating him. It will be interesting to see if he slowly pulls away from that as he establishes himself.

And while I think he has been doing a great job, the truly greatest thing has been the addition of Roy Woods Jr. Dude is fucking killing it.

Arkeband

Banned
It feels like the Daily Show did for the last 2-3 years under Jon, and I don't think that's a compliment.

Surprise, the show is molded by current events.

Considering how god-awful Larry Wilmore's show is, the fact that this resembles even the later, bitterer years of TDS is a miracle.

Also, I've gotta agree, Roy Woods Jr. is the best thing about the new show, though Jordan Klepper's buffoon schtick is amplified tenfold when paired with Roy. I think TDS has a correspondent dream team right now.

Captain.Falafel

Neo Member
It feels like the Daily Show did for the last 2-3 years under Jon, and I don't think that's a compliment.

I think as long as the political climate and its media coverage remains as utterly toxic as it has been, it's hard for the show to ever be fun watching again. It's the least comedic comedy show ever made.

danielcw

Full episode: OCTOBER 5, 2015 - SETH ROGEN
http://www.cc.com/full-episodes/38i...tober-5--2015---seth-rogen-season-21-ep-21005
Trevor examines pro-lifers' stance on guns, Jessica Williams finds an efficient way to report on a mass shooting in Oregon, and Seth Rogen discusses his film "Steve Jobs."

Nightly Show: OCTOBER 5, 2015 - MASS SHOOTING IN OREGON
http://www.cc.com/full-episodes/2rc...5---mass-shooting-in-oregon-season-2-ep-02005
Larry revisits his interview with presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders, and Rory Albanese, Mike Yard and Ashleigh Banfield weigh in on a mass shooting at an Oregon college.

Yeah Trevor is 100% a great replacement for me, it really does feel like I'm just watching the daily show.

Jessica's new hair style is dope as fuck, really glad to see her back.

People sometimes overstate the decline the show went into under the last few years of Jon Stewart. Yes, it seemed like Jon himself was getting a bit burned out, more so in retrospect after he announced he was leaving. But I felt the writing/researching of the show remained steady, and continues so under Trevor.

I'm not just still watching it, I'm still enjoying it.

Jonm1010

Banned
People sometimes overstate the decline the show went into under the last few years of Jon Stewart. Yes, it seemed like Jon himself was getting a bit burned out, more so in retrospect after he announced he was leaving. But I felt the writing/researching of the show remained steady, and continues so under Trevor.

I actually think the writing and research has progressively gotten sharper and sharper....Or at least stayed very sharp. When i think about the best research bits in terms of being meaningful, a lot are within the last few years. The John Oliver Gun Control piece, the Veterans Affairs piece, the Jason Jones to Russia piece. I'd rank them up there as some of the best work the show has ever done.

If anything, the Month of Zen stream made me more confident in my feelings that the show had been on the decline. The quality of correspondents just hasn't been there. I know plenty of people in this thread like the newer people, but I think they're obviously at a much lower level than people like Colbert, Oliver, Carell, or Corddry, to the point that it seems absurd to compare them. And now the correspondent situation is more or less in the same place, with one of the people I was down on now hosting the show. And that's happening at a time when Colbert and Oliver have their own shows.

Jon Stewart was the voice of a generation. Not many people like that come along in a lifetime. Whenever something big was happening in the world, I couldn't wait to get his take on it. I turned to that guy to get through tough times. It isn't even fair to hold Trevor Noah to that kind of standard, which is why I'm not convinced that there should still be a Daily Show.

If anything, the Month of Zen stream made me more confident in my feelings that the show had been on the decline. The quality of correspondents just hasn't been there. I know plenty of people in this thread like the newer people, but I think they're obviously at a much lower level than people like Colbert, Oliver, Carell, or Corddry, to the point that it seems absurd to compare them. And now the correspondent situation is more or less in the same place, with one of the people I was down on now hosting the show. And that's happening at a time when Colbert and Oliver have their own shows.

Jon Stewart was the voice of a generation. Not many people like that come along in a lifetime. Whenever something big was happening in the world, I couldn't wait to get his take on it. I turned to that guy to get through tough times. It isn't even fair to hold Trevor Noah to that kind of standard, which is why I'm not convinced that there should still be a Daily Show.

I think it's about familiarity. Longtime watchers have nostalgia about the 2000-2006 era, and plenty of the classic correspondents. Although I'm hard-pressed to really find any fault with the current lineup of correspondents. The only thing that seems different is that they're more diverse than the strictly white, mostly male lineup they had earlier on. Besides, how could you mention the all-time best correspondents and not mention Samantha Bee?

I'll admit my first reaction to the announcement that Trevor Noah hosting the show was "him?", because his tenure on the Daily Show up to the announcement was incredibly brief and somewhat unremarkable. After just over a week of him hosting I can see why people behind the scenes felt confident putting him in the chair.

Just watched the last two episodes. I have to say--I don't like it at all. While the correspondents were enjoyable enough, every single one of Trevor's jokes fell flat for me.

In some ways, Trevor's approach reminds me of Last Week Tonight, which I'm not a fan of. Whereas John Stewert's Daily Show would always create humor out of the events themselves--wow, look at this, this is so ridiculous it's completely hilarious--Last Week Tonight goes "Here's an important, real story, and I'm going to pause ever five seconds or so to make a joke about something tangentially related."

Trevor seems to follow a similar format. It's too bad.

Noah is fine at delivering lines that were written for him but I just don't think he is a naturally funny person. People keep referring to Jon's growing pains but that guy was always funny to me. Watching the Daily Show marathon from the beginning over the summer only strengthened that belief.

Also, Noah should stop smiling or laughing at his own jokes. That's charisma kryptonite to me. Then again Fallon is number one in the ratings so my opinion is well, just that.

I will say that Noah's South African perspective is undeniably fresh. Combine that with the solid staff supporting him and I could see him hold the desk for as long as he wants to (which I suspect will not be as long as Stewart did).

FafaFooey

Oof. Latest episode was just one big bomb for me. Flat delivery, terrible correspondents. I don't see the whole "fresh perspective" people seem to detect. It's the Daily Show but without its spiritual creator. Jon Stewart made it his own when he took over and sure, it took years to grow but the shift in tone and humour was there from the start. Really not convinced so far.

gabbo

Noah is fine at delivering lines that were written for him but I just don't think he is a naturally funny person. People keep referring to Jon's growing pains but that guy was always funny to me. Watching the Daily Show marathon from the beginning over the summer only strengthened that belief.

Also, Noah should stop smiling or laughing at his own jokes. That's charisma kryptonite to me. Then again Fallon is number one in the ratings so my opinion is well, just that.

I will say that Noah's South African perspective is undeniably fresh. Combine that with the solid staff supporting him and I could see him hold the desk for as long as he wants to (which I suspect will not be as long as Stewart did).

Jon was funny, yeah, but the initial material they were putting out in '99 relied more on Jon putting it over than it being outright funny (running around the Republican convention, climbing fences, Stephen Colbert as Al Sharpton)

RoKKeR

That Ben Carson segment was pretty great..."God damnit Carson not that 2nd amendment shit again!" had me rolling.

Also a bit terrifying, that guy is a nut.

danielcw

Full episodes can be found on the website.
I will stop posting the current link every day, since most people who see it, probably already know, where to look, or don't have to use the official website anyway.

I still would like to have links in the OT, so if you are an international (non-US) viewer, and have a different official website to watch the show on, tell me please, so I can add it to the OT.

I know plenty of people in this thread like the newer people, but I think they're obviously at a much lower level than people like Colbert, Oliver, Carell, or Corddry, to the point that it seems absurd to compare them.

What makes it obvious to you?

Did you watch the Month of Zen over the summer? If you think someone like Hasan Minhaj compares to the names Riskington mentioned, more power to you but you might be a crazy person.

I like some of the current correspondents but yes, the overall shift in quality is obvious. It's no surprise, either. You can't maintain a dream team forever. The same thing happened to Conan O'Brien. You look at his writing team back in the nineties and it's filled with comedy greats (some legendary, some lesser known but all beloved by comedy nerds).

danielcw

Did you watch the Month of Zen over the summer? If you think someone like Hasan Minhaj compares to the names Riskington mentioned, more power to you but you might be a crazy person.

I like some of the current correspondents but yes, the overall shift in quality is obvious.

I did watch a lot of the Month of Zen.

See, you state this opinion, without giving any insight, how you reach that opinon.
(on top of calling people who don't agree a crazy person)

So how is the shift in quality obvious?
We are talking about humor and style here. There are no clearly defined rules or qualities here, that the show or the correspondents have to match.

Troy

Banned
I agree Trevor is doing a great job and is a great replacement for Jon.

Disagree completely. I've been watching this week and what it feels like to me is someone doing an impression of Jon. A bad impression with too many fumbled lines. Someone who also happens to be a terrible interviewer. The writers are still as sharp as ever though.

The newer people aren't funny or charismatic. What else do you want me to say? You're talking like you're expecting me to provide you with tangible facts, but then you say this:

We are talking about humor and style here. There are no clearly defined rules or qualities here, that the show or the correspondents have to match.
You say there are no rules or qualities that define what a good correspondent is, yet you're asking me to detail those very things to explain to you why the new group isn't on the same level as the all-time greats I listed. This makes me question if you really have any interest in a good-faith discussion.

All I can say is look what those names I put out there have done after The Daily Show. Do you honestly believe that Jordan Klepper and Al Madrigal and Hasan Minaj are on that track? That they have the talent and charisma to reach those heights? More power to you if you think that's true. I'm not telling you that you need to have a different opinion. But my opinion is that that's ludicrous.

The newer people aren't funny or charismatic. What else do you want me to say? You're talking like you're expecting me to provide you with tangible facts, but then you say this:

You say there are no rules or qualities that define what a good correspondent is, yet you're asking me to detail those very things to explain to you why the new group isn't on the same level as the all-time greats I listed. This makes me question if you really have any interest in a good-faith discussion.

All I can say is look what those names I put out there have done after The Daily Show. Do you honestly believe that Jordan Klepper and Al Madrigal and Hasan Minaj are on that track? That they have the talent and charisma to reach those heights? More power to you if you think that's true. I'm not telling you that you need to have a different opinion. But my opinion is that that's ludicrous.

Without a doubt I think Jessica Williams and Aasif Mandvi have the charisma and talent to go well beyond the Daily Show, and it's no mystery why their names were floated around as potential replacements for Stewart. Hasan Minajh and Jordan Klepper have both had great segments thus far. Roy Wood is still new, but he's been killing it. I'll give you Al Madrigal, though, he hasn't been that great.

But at the end of the day I think you're looking at the correspondents through a nostalgic lens. I have very fond memories of the 2001-2006 era of the Daily Show, but I'm trying to look at the current talent there objectively.

Not that you were talking to me, but the vast majority of what I've seen during the marathon was new to me so I reject the nostalgia argument.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
A vast majority of the great Daily Show correspondents were from the earlier 2000s. Hell, Colbert alone is funnier than all of the recent ones put together. I've never been too impressed with a majority of the correspondents though, there are maybe five or so I can think of off the top of my head whom I'd consider excellent and most of them haven't been on for several years. And "nostalgia" my ass. Also, I'll go to my dying day saying that Jessica Williams is not funny, I don't know what people see in her or why anybody wanted her hosting the show. She seems very nice and enthusiastic but her comedic delivery is just shit and amateurish. Come at me. Glad Trevor got the job and not her.

Has anybody here changed their mind? I see people who like Trevor's run so far and people who don't but I wonder if those opinions differ from what people expected before his first appreance.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I think it is pretty fair to say that as far as correspondents go, Colbert, Carell, and Oliver were a noticeable step above everyone else, evidenced by them going on to have either incredibly successful careers or ridiculously successful careers post-Daily Show.

But consider the following: that's three people over the course of 17 years, most of them stayed with the show for years before moving on, and while only some reached superstar status, a lot had/have respectable careers post-Daily Show.

Also consider: this discussion is rendered pretty moot by Jessica Williams, who could easily go on to Oliver-like success at a minimum.

Last night was my first time seeing the new show. I thought Noah was great. Really enjoyed the pro life/gun rights juxtaposition segment lol. Was Seth Rogen baked as fuck? He kept laughing like an idiot during the interview (and I am a fan of his).

I never said nostalgia was the only thing good about the 2000s era correspondents. Carrell, Colbert, Oliver, Corddry, Bee (stop overlooking her) are all top-tier.

I just meant that too much nostalgia over the old crew sometimes colors peoples' judgment of the new ones. Plus all of the above spent considerable time on the show, so you got pretty familiar with them for a number of years.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I've totally given up on The Nightly Show for a good couple months now after trying really hard to like the show, but barely after a week I'm totally on board with Trevor as TDS host.

I like Larry a lot but the format of his show is just not good and his personality and writing just doesn't bring enough to keep me tuned in. Meanwhile TDS style is still intact and feels just as sharp and Trevor's personality seems very compatible and he seems pretty comfortable in the role already. It should only get better as time goes on.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Bee (stop overlooking her)
Yeah, I was going to include her up in my last comment, but he new show unfortunately won't premiere until January. I think she has the potential to really knock it out of the park, but hopefully she isn't given the Midnight, after Conan slot on TBS.

FfLLUUsh.jpg

Show was great last night..

Apt101

The show is still great. Of course we won't know if Noah is capable of the same level of keen insights Stewart was known for until there's a considerable number of shows under his belt. But he's a great host and good interviewer.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Last night's was the best one yet. Every segment had high notes and no real stinkers.

Not a fan of Ronny Chieng from a few nights ago. Incredibly flat and fake sounding delivery. Felt like the polar opposite of Roy Wood Jr.'s debut.

Al definitely does. I agree with you that a lot of the others don't really match up, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom