• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm not a fan of donations, individuals working at a company make, being called donations from a company. I seriously doubt the $2,700 from a CEO of Big Pharma is going to effect Clinton's planned policy on prescription drugs.

Not particular a fault of The Daily Show, pretty much every news organization does it, as it's public record. Many of the real dangerous donations, such as those greater than $2,700 to SuperPACS are secret so they get ignored, the media instead talks about those donations that have a record. It's dangerous as it ignores the real problem.

I'm tempted to make a thread talking about this issue, as I expect it to brought up again countless times in the next year. While there is some weight to the donations made by people working at a particular company, I suspect they really don't carry much, if any, weight.

Not

Banned
Noah is funnier than Stewart has been in years. Just has better delivery I guess.

I agree, I'm just bummed he's apparently not picking up in the ratings. Maybe people just ain't used to him? I hope it isn't just that 30% of Comedy Central viewers are racist

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I agree, I'm just bummed he's apparently not picking up in the ratings. Maybe people just ain't used to him? I hope it isn't just that 30% of Comedy Central viewers are racist

If he only lost around 30% of the viewership Jon had, he has nothing to worry about. I might even suspect Comedy Central to be pretty ecstatic.

RoKKeR

So he is only down 30% from Jon's ratings? That's pretty impressive to be honest, better than I would expect. He will gain a following as he has more and more stand out segments, like African President Trump and the Carson segments from a week or so ago.

Not

Banned
Nice. Maybe I just read some headlines that tried to paint it in a bad light with words like "plummets" and other shit

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If he only lost around 30% of the viewership Jon had, he has nothing to worry about. I might even suspect Comedy Central to be pretty ecstatic.

Yeah, just about any replacement was guaranteed to lose some viewers. Combine that with the fact that Noah is certainly cheaper than Stewart pay-grade-wise and the show could probably do a lot worse and still be profitable.

Nice. Maybe I just read some headlines that tried to paint it in a bad light with words like "plummets" and other shit

Yeah, be careful with some of the more biased sources on the internet. They have a vested interested in painting the Daily Show (and, similarly, Colbert's Late Show) as failures.

danielcw

So he is only down 30% from Jon's ratings?
The sentence you quoted started with an "if". But would be close to being right, apparently.

The only ratings information I read is:
http://deadline.com/2015/10/trevor-noas-first-week-daily-show-ratings-1201571171/
a 33% decline compared to the franchise’s same week year ago crowd.
More surprising, perhaps, is the median age of Noah’s first-week audience: 45.5 years. This is older than Stewart’s same week last year audience median age of 43.7 years.
More numbers, like loses in specific demos, are given at the link

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Trevor's delivery is getting slicker and more comfortable week on week. No stumbling or misreading words, solid interviews, great timing, great voices, and happy to have fun and have a laugh.

He has hit the ground running here. A pity the ratings didn't carry across from Stewart, but some drop off was inevitable. Hope more people give him a chance.

ive given it a few tries. maybe the formula is a little dated for me, but im just not feeling this.

better than larry wilmore at least

I'm enjoying it so far, but I feel they missed the perfect opportunity to shake things up a little. New set, new way of reporting on the stories, maybe reduce the number of interviews so they can focus more on certain stories.

Arkeband

Banned

Other news networks salivate at the idea of TDS's demographic watching/reading them instead.

Obviously they're going to use flamboyant language when describing early Trevor Noah Daily Show statistics.

Plus, negativity breeds clicks.

NimbusD

The sentence you quoted started with an "if". But would be close to being right, apparently.

The only ratings information I read is:
http://deadline.com/2015/10/trevor-noas-first-week-daily-show-ratings-1201571171/

More numbers, like loses in specific demos, are given at the link

I wonder what the online views are like in comparison? I know they're pushing hard for that market, but honestly I haven't seen many bits go viral in the way that Oliver seems to do weekly.

Pagusas

Elden Member
He's to happy and nice. There's no bite.

I'm not digging the show as much as I had hoped :/

I think thats my problem too. Just watched the Wolf Blitzer bit, and it was just done so poorly. He just seems like a guy trying to be funny but doest have the delivery for it, which is odd seeing another person on here claim he has better delivery than John.

Ultima_5

I think thats my problem too. Just watched the Wolf Blitzer bit, and it was just done so poorly. He just seems like a guy trying to be funny but doest have the delivery for it, which is odd seeing another person on here claim he has better delivery than John.

He's just doing a bad jon impression and laughing to much. Colber and Oliver had a certain bite to them as well. Maybe he needs to find his voice still but I think I'll stop watching for now cuz it bums me out

YoungHav

Banned
I will give Trevor time to find his groove so I won't judge him for sticking to the script so much. My main beef w/him is cutting people off and talking over them in interviews. Sometimes there is cross-talk and you can't hear either person. This was my main beef with Colbert Report also, Stephen kept interrupting guests.

Chariot

Holy crap. Trevor needs a mic he can drop. No, wait. Correction. Give him five so the technical assistants have time to pick them up before the next one drops.

I'm enjoying it so far, but I feel they missed the perfect opportunity to shake things up a little. New set, new way of reporting on the stories, maybe reduce the number of interviews so they can focus more on certain stories.

I assume comedy central must get a ton of money for doing the interviews, because excepting a few political interviews here and there, they've mostly been terrible fluff pieces for as long as I've been watching the show.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Were Jon's interviews completely rehearsed like they seem to be with Trevor? I honestly can't remember Jon ever doing that talk show how thing where they pretend to think of an interesting story and then they, "actually, I think I gave you a clip about this story that I just thought up 2 seconds ago".

This John Harwood interview has had that happen twice now and I honestly can't remember this ever happening with Jon and I feel like I'd remember since I always hate when Conan or Colbert do it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Conan is by far the best interviewer imo

Which makes it a such a shame he seems to struggle to get high profile guests

Conan's only real advantage in interviewing is that he's the elder statesmen of Late Night and has been doing it longer than anyone. He could probably do what he does in his sleep at this point, which is good and bad. For example, Conan has the tendency to do that old-school late night thing of starting every interview with a female celebrity with how good they look that night.

Personally, I think Colbert has been doing a pretty good job on his new show, even if some of his guests have been misses.

SURGEdude

I know it's not workable, but I'd love a Daily Show without the interview segment. Jon and Colbert had a touch that made it worth it and often rewarding. Trevor is a solid host, but his interviews are hard to watch between softballs and pandering it just seems like a waste.

Crud

Banned
I know it's not workable, but I'd love a Daily Show without the interview segment. Jon and Colbert had a touch that made it worth it and often rewarding. Trevor is a solid host, but his interviews are hard to watch between softballs and pandering it just seems like a waste.

Would yall let Trevor cook? Jesus. It's going to take some real patience. Take a month off or two.

Animator

oct 22 episode is the first one I watched and I am on board. The Jeb! Bush segment was hilarious. That man is such a moron.

Fusebox

Banned
When Jon fluffed a joke or a joke landed flat he'd do that thing where he covers his mouth with his notes and laughs to the side, I was a bit over that. When the same thing happens to Trevor he just turns directly to the camera and beams that big heart warming smile and I just melt a bit and go 'oh you...'

obin_gam

You're remembering it wrong. The interviews were always the worst part.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Interviews with Jon Stewart and Colbert were completely hit or miss for me. Some were legit funny and charming, some were legit interesting (mostly with those who worked on social issues or wrote books about such things), but a great, great many were utterly forgettable and boring fluff. I expect Trevor's interviews to be no different.

SURGEdude

Would yall let Trevor cook? Jesus. It's going to take some real patience. Take a month off or two.

I find this comment silly. I'd agree on stuff like joke delivery, comfort, and presentation, but interviewing isn't something that can be tweaked and picked up easily.

I think being able to quickly adjust style and come up with the proper snark is something that isn't learned in a few months. I don't want to say it can't be acquired, but I can think of few people who have been able to learn the required snap wit required to pull it off.

It's a new Daily Show and I think it should focus on Noah's talents and not just shoehorn interviews in because Jon did them. He can still have them sometime when the content is worthy like John Oliver does.

You're remembering it wrong. The interviews were always the worst part.

Nah. It was just that a lot of the subjects sucked. Their interviewing skills were top notch. Rule of thumb was skip the celebrity ones, consider the author ones, and always watch the political ones.

Taichu

Jon was funnier, but Noah brings in a new energy which is what the show needed. Surprised that the ratings are down so much!

Keasar

Interviews with Jon Stewart and Colbert were completely hit or miss for me. Some were legit funny and charming, some were legit interesting (mostly with those who worked on social issues or wrote books about such things), but a great, great many were utterly forgettable and boring fluff. I expect Trevor's interviews to be no different.

I would usually skip all celebrity interviews unless it was comedians (Denis Leary or Louis CK) or that one single celebrity I actually cared about. Everyone else was usually actually nice listening to cause Jon would have interesting things to talk and ask about.

Did you watch the marathon of old Daily Show episodes in Your Month of Zen? Jon was pretty awful at interviews his first few years on the show. It's a skill you have to pick up as you go. I think this is true of most late night hosts. Conan's first interviews on his show tended to be really awkward and cringey before he got comfortable with it.

I just saw this for the first time. It's so sad, but the Daily Show and Colbert Report are truly gone, so far as I've known and loved them.

I want to like it. But without Jon the show just completely lacks the acidity of its former iteration. Maybe it's because I'm too distracted by how cute the new host is.

I just saw this for the first time. It's so sad, but the Daily Show and Colbert Report are truly gone, so far as I've known and loved them.

I want to like it. But without Jon the show just completely lacks the acidity of its former iteration. Maybe it's because I'm too distracted by how cute the new host is.

For the most part the Daily Show was forged by its time.

If it weren't for the Bush administration who knows if the Daily Show would even exist today, or if it would have just fizzled out and been cancelled had Gore won the election.

The Craig Kilborn and first couple years of Jon Stewart were mostly lightweight fluff compared to what the show became following 9/11. Funny, but ultimately insubstantial, and not the type of thing legacies are built off of. But what followed 9/11 are what really made the Daily Show into essential viewing: "The War on Terror", Iraq, the 2004 election, Hurricane Katrina, "the surge", etc.

Now here we are, about seven years in to the Obama administration. There's still a lot of fuckery going on in America, but it's lost a bit of that immediate urgency that the show had in 2001-2005. It's not Jon Stewart's fault, it's not Trevor Noah's fault, it's not the writers' fault. The best years of the Daily Show happened because things were really that fucked up. It's hard to repeat that when the chaos isn't as fevered.

I never had much of an issue with the darker tone the show took on in more recent years. Granted, I'm only an occasional watcher. I might catch it a few times a month if that. So it didn't wear thin on me.

It was a comfort to know the show was there. I do feel as though Stewart and Colbert were the voice of my generation. At least it feels that way to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom