• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
watched the first 2 eps.

Still funny, lots of the old schtick, but that's ok.

First interview, he totally lost any control.

2nd interview, with an app maker? That seems new, what he's talked about doing, and it worked.

It's funny and still feels honest. Think it's pretty good, need to wait for more interviews.

Did they get new video editors? Lots of little fuck ups, audio clipping, etc.

Mars dialog was probably the best.

Burt

I feel like Noah did a whole lot of tape watching. His delivery is strangely identical to Stewart's. Like, I can't help but swap them in my mind as I hear him talk.

Not liking this at all so far. Softer interviews than Jimmy "everybody's best friend" Fallon. I had actually stopped watching TDS for a few years even with Stewart and this is making it even worse.,

Crocodile

I've been pretty busy this week so I missed the first two episodes aside from the Celebrity Pandering bit I saw online and tonight's episode. Trevor Noah seems nice enough though he will take some getting used to for me. I thought the report on BLM/the police/etc. was subpar because I'm not sure it really did a good job of highlighting the issue to those who don't understand what's going on. Like they took themselves even less seriously than normal and on top of that most of the humor/jokes were kind of shitty/fell flat. Ah well, it's only Day 3. Still wish that bit was a lot better though.

aliengmr

I think he needs to establish himself before he starts ripping into people.

If/when he does I think he'll be much harder than Stewart. That's my sense.

I'm thinking a few years from now he'll destroy someone and get Stewart-cred.

Jonm1010

Banned
I've been pretty busy this week so I missed the first two episodes aside from the Celebrity Pandering bit I saw online and tonight's episode. Trevor Noah seems nice enough though he will take some getting used to for me. I thought the report on BLM/the police/etc. was subpar because I'm not sure it really did a good job of highlighting the issue to those who don't understand what's going on. Like they took themselves even less seriously than normal and on top of that most of the humor/jokes were kind of shitty/fell flat. Ah well, it's only Day 3. Still wish that bit was a lot better though.

I'm honestly getting an early Jon Stewart Daily Show vibe so far. For some they will like it because it is a more silly, less serious, laugh centric show but I miss the biting commentary of grizzled old Jon. So far there doesn't seem to be that strong narrative focus or strong editorial bend that the later Daily show had. And that was reflected in the location piece. It aimed more for the goofy, absurd but funny angle more then a journalistic investigation with some laughs. Which was what we saw toward the end of the Jon Stewart era with pieces on the VA or their trip to Russia. Or anything really.

Noah has done a far better job then I expected but I do hope in a few months the show can get back to a stronger balance of jokes for jokes sake and intellectual stimulation.

danielcw

Full episode 3: http://www.cc.com/full-episodes/h42...-30--2015---chris-christie-season-21-ep-21003

SEPTEMBER 30, 2015 - CHRIS CHRISTIE
Jordan Klepper and Roy Wood Jr. investigate police bias, China is suspected of bugging the Wolf Astoria, and Governor Chris Christie discusses his 2016 presidential bid.

EDIT:
Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore

Countdown to next episode
t1443754800z1.png

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
His chemistry with the correspondents is not "there" yet, thats definitely one of those things that comes with time.

but the writing and most of his delivery is been good so far. Been a fan of Roy for a while, glad to see him on a bigger stage.

after watching the first two eps, maybe the daily show isnt for me.

not necessarily cause of noah, but i like john olivers style more now i think.

Gnome

I only ever watched the Daily Show on occasion, watched recently to check out this guy, he seems fine. Don't know why everyone was calling it done before it even began.

FreezeSSC

I guess he's still working on his delivery bit when he talked about Isis I felt he was focused more on setting up his joke than the atrocities he was reporting on, guess he needs to work on feigning outrage.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Wood has been knocking it out of the park. I thought he and Klepper were really funny together last night.

Had my first real pang of disappointment on the Day 3 episode because BLM was covered in such a superficial slapsticky way.

I'm finding myself wanting to go back to John Oliver, whose format and tone is a lot more serious and editorial. In fact, Oliver's show is more like an angry rant that has a couple of very bitter jokes sprinkled throughout.

Could be an age thing. I'm 36 and I'm already a locked-in liberal ready to go to war. Watching police brutality being talked about only through "dumb white guy" jokes, followed up with a softball Chris Christie interview? Maybe they're keeping it a little more palatable so the youth stays engaged. Which is great! But, I don't really need that.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I wasn't a fan of episode three either. The BLM part did give me a few chuckles, but some parts fell flat. Felt like he was a little too friendly with Chris Christie and threw some softball questions. It's still early so I'll give him a pass.

Chariot

Yes, that that BLM segment was bad. It was funny, but meaningless because it concentrated on the joke, instead of discussing the issues.

Frog-fu

Banned
I just nearly choked on my food at that "nerdy Suge Knight" line.

Roy is awesome. I also really like Jordan. They're hilarious together.

Welp, one week in, and Trevor's already got his first mass shooting.

Going to be interesting to see how he handles it. Stewart always handled them with frustration and anger about their proliferation, how gun laws in this country don't work, and with the most recent, South Carolina, the fact that race issues still exist despite certain news organizations saying the contrary. Trevor's been funny so far, but tonight, you really can't be.

Darksol

Going to be interesting to see how he handles it. Stewart always handled them with frustration and anger about their proliferation, how gun laws in this country don't work, and with the most recent, South Carolina, the fact that race issues still exist despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Trevor's been funny so far, but tonight, you really can't be.

Yep :/

gabbo

Going to be interesting to see how he handles it. Stewart always handled them with frustration and anger about their proliferation, how gun laws in this country don't work, and with the most recent, South Carolina, the fact that race issues still exist despite certain news organizations saying the contrary. Trevor's been funny so far, but tonight, you really can't be.

It's not like gun violence is an unheard of thing in South Africa, I'm betting on parallels being made

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I wouldn't expect anything too comprehensive about Oregon tonight. It happened a few hours before they would have to go to tape.

It'll definitely be Monday's show, though.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Don't they tape at like 6:30pm? That's plenty of time to put a story together.

i would guess they already have other stories to talk about, they probably work on the next day's episode the day before -- they're always like a dayish behind. i'm not sure what there is to joke about the Oregon shooting, anyhow.

I think Noah is doing fine so far, his interview style is a bit odd, but his news bits are Jon-esque. I can't tell if he's doing the straight man or if he's more into playing along with the joke than Jon usually did

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Three days in I'm happier than ever that John Oliver wasn't given the seat. John could have kept TDS going, but its clear now that Trevor has absolutely no problem doing that, and Last Week Tonight is something truly special.

i would guess they already have other stories to talk about, they probably work on the next day's episode the day before -- they're always like a dayish behind. i'm not sure what there is to joke about the Oregon shooting, anyhow.

There isn't. The day after a major shooting like this, Jon wouldn't joke. In fact the Daily Show after the South Carolina shootings he specifically apologized for having no jokes.

Honestly, I kind of hope they would drop whatever they are doing tonight and just talk about the shooting, since any jokes that he would do, no matter the expense, would be seen as insensitive.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
There isn't. The day after a major shooting like this, Jon wouldn't joke. In fact the Daily Show after the South Carolina shootings he specifically apologized for having no jokes.

Honestly, I kind of hope they would drop whatever they are doing tonight and just talk about the shooting, since any jokes that he would do, no matter the expense, would be seen as insensitive.

It will be interesting to see what approach Noah takes to it. And may be a signal for more of what he is aiming his daily show to be.

I feel like without actually having a "gravitas" as he is just starting out, doing a serious bit may be hit or miss with him at this point. I'm not sure I am going to necessarily look to Trevor Noah for guidance here, if you can get what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom