• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DeathSpank |OT| (XBLA/PSN)

Raggy

Banned
I'm so stuck!

Lvl 14, and does pip lvl 14 kill me in 2 hits, unicorns in 1, and there is nowhere left to go!

What to do?

Salz01

Raggy said:
I'm so stuck!

Lvl 14, and does pip lvl 14 kill me in 2 hits, unicorns in 1, and there is nowhere left to go!

What to do?

Go do the swamp missions. (you get those missions from the guy that wants to build rich homes)

To kill the pips, equip some of those mega nuke things, and just run around using those, and you'll take down a couple of pips. Or you can equip that crossbow that shoots multiple targets and run around and kite a pip while you keep shooting it.

LiK

got this on 360 last night and played a few hours. pretty fun and great writing. kinda wish the dialogue tree wouldn't disappear so often. so much good lines could be missed. i was really surprised how much dialogue it has.

this is hard tho. it's impossible to tell when i need to block so i just set on it on easy to enjoy the goofy story. i don't feel like grinding.

LiK said:
this is hard tho. it's impossible to tell when i need to block so i just set on it on easy to enjoy the goofy story. i don't feel like grinding.

You really don't need to block save from a few big slow hard hitting enemies and bosses. Concentrate on chaining your attacks, get a spinning sword as your main weapon of justice and it's a piece of cake. No need to grind except maybe at the end to get to lvl 20.

No45

Picked this up, downloading now. Looking forward to seeing how this plays - I love what I've played of this style of game on the PC (Which admittedly is only Torchlight and a very small amount of Diablo II).

daevv

Great game. I had a blast on my way to 200/200gs!

Weird how this wasn't included in the Summer of Arcade promo, I would of ended up buying at least 3 of the games (for the discount) or perhaps all 5.

~d

Erasus

No45 said:
Picked this up, downloading now. Looking forward to seeing how this plays - I love what I've played of this style of game on the PC (Which admittedly is only Torchlight and a very small amount of Diablo II).

In the same boat and I love DeathSpank. Its not as deep as Diablo or Torhligh but the story and dialogue makes up for it.

Havok

Raggy said:
I'm so stuck!

What to do?
Just learn to time your blocks perfectly, and you'll be able to take them out without too much trouble (and get some pretty great experience for it).

nli10

Square Triangle said:
Screw you Nanny Demon. Going to have to trace my path all the way back and load up on potions and fire resist.

Damn it. =/

Yeah - thats a relatively tough part if you fought past all the demons by the skin of your teeth. Just come back later - there is a lot of other stuff to do.

Got 100% last night. Hoping for DLC but thinking I wouldn't want to pay much for it unless it REALLY added a good 10 levels worth of game on top. Design is VERY expandable, but dependant on market really.

Grinding without co-op just feels odd.

daycru

Square Triangle said:
Screw you Nanny Demon. Going to have to trace my path all the way back and load up on potions and fire resist.

Damn it. =/
I came back with an ice hammer, fucked him up in three hits.

Sqorgar

Banned
LiK said:
kinda wish the dialogue tree wouldn't disappear so often. so much good lines could be missed.
What do you mean by this? How does the dialogue tree disappear?

i was really surprised how much dialogue it has..
I think that Ron said there was about 7,000 lines of dialogue total (I wrote about 2,500 personally). But that total included a lot of things that didn't make it in this game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Raggy said:
I'm so stuck!

What to do?

Learn to block. The pips one-shotting you is the game's way of telling you that you need to start learning how the blocking system works.

Sqorgar said:
What do you mean by this? How does the dialogue tree disappear?

He means that if a question has multiple answers, you can't choose all of them. A lot of options disappear when you choose one.

Sqorgar

Banned
thetrin said:
He means that if a question has multiple answers, you can't choose all of them. A lot of options disappear when you choose one.
Probably 90% of the time, you'll get the same response regardless of which option you pick. There are a few times when you'll get a different response, but that is more uncommon. They weren't really big on providing parallel dialogue paths.

I still put a few in because I thought that people would talk about the game and have slightly different joke experiences to share.

Raggy

Banned
Thanks guys, I'll try perfecting blocking. (have tried though, but quickly got ganked by multiple pips)

And I'll talk to richie rich guy :)

soqquatto

Salz01 said:
Go do the swamp missions. (you get those missions from the guy that wants to build rich homes)

To kill the pips, equip some of those mega nuke things, and just run around using those, and you'll take down a couple of pips. Or you can equip that crossbow that shoots multiple targets and run around and kite a pip while you keep shooting it.

or you could just learn to block since the pips attack with a low frequency. if you block before you just reduce the damage to 1, if you block at the correct time you reduce damage and get a lot of "justice" to unleash the special attack (and thus you're able to devastate them).

No45

Well I'm absolutely loving this so far. Level 9 I think, just through the Demon Mines. Fantastic dialogue (Very funny in places, I think this is getting a rough ride in some of the press that I've seen).

One quick question - is it possible to damage the ghosts in the first area? Couldn't seem to do any damage to them, even with +Undead weapons.

J-Roderton

No45 said:
Well I'm absolutely loving this so far. Level 9 I think, just through the Demon Mines. Fantastic dialogue (Very funny in places, I think this is getting a rough ride in some of the press that I've seen).

One quick question - is it possible to damage the ghosts in the first area? Couldn't seem to do any damage to them, even with +Undead weapons.

You'll come back to those ghosts later. Don't worry.
You get a weapon to cover that problem

No45

Ah, thanks. :)

Got my (the?) first rune stone as well. Have a cleaver but I need to find a fire weapon so that I can dispense some unique justice!

J-Roderton

No45 said:

Got my (the?) first rune stone as well. Have a cleaver but I need to find a fire weapon so that I can dispense some unique justice!

Trust me those weapon combinations will come in handy. Especially when you have to grind.

Jroderton said:
Trust me those weapon combinations will come in handy. Especially when you have to grind.

Hrm... never used a single one... was 19 when I finished the game, took a few trips back and forth through the last section and the turtle area to max out.

For the Unicorns, I ran away until I got to the far side of the forest and I handled all the quests back there. By the time I decided to fight unicorns, they were eating my spinning sword of justice.

J-Roderton

corrosivefrost said:
Hrm... never used a single one... was 19 when I finished the game, took a few trips back and forth through the last section and the turtle area to max out.

For the Unicorns, I ran away until I got to the far side of the forest and I handled all the quests back there. By the time I decided to fight unicorns, they were eating my spinning sword of justice.

I loved using them. Especially on the turtles when I was grinding. Best for when you have a ton of enemies around you. So powerful. Didn't try the lightning one though.

Raggy

Banned
Raggy said:
I'm so stuck!

What to do?

Seems like several people got stuck at this point, and I think its a design flaw of the game.

Yeah its a good intent that people need to learn to block, however, if you play fast, you can reach this point as low as level 13, then the pips WILL 1 shot you. And that is a heckof a frustrating experience.

Even if you sneak past this point, you reach even harder monsters, the lvl 20 unicorns.
Yeah you are supposed to sneak past them, but it's not in gamers nature to go past areas, to find weaker monsters behind them.

However, due to posts here, I got past both these areas, and leveled up a bit doing the big tree quests, and the last swamp quests, so now I can finally take down the pips, and even the silly unicorns.

I searched forever to find the deamon gate blocking my way east; why don't these show on the map?

Anyways I greatly enjoy the game, and find the dialogue hilarious at times, and quite silly/boring other times
the brat Annie for instance craving iphone, phonies and whatnot

"rejected boxart"

DS_DA.jpg

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
is that a vicious chicken?

AppleBlade

Been playing with my wife. She loves it! I'm like "baby, we gotta clean the house, let's stop playing" and she's like "No, just one more quest" and inside I'm smiling!

nli10

No45 said:

The Runes spell Deathspank I thought that was a nice touch.

NZNova

Man, this game is great but it seems to have a difficulty wall instead of a difficulty curve. Going from stomping all over everything to suddenly having to do quests where the mobs oneshot you if you don't block them (the pips) and having no other quests to do to gain XP... yikes. Maybe I missed something but it seems quite hard all of a sudden. I managed to clear out the entire pip area by blocking every single attack that came my way and working my way slowly across... then I get sent down to the unicorn area and they're 7 levels above me... gah!

MrFortyFive

Just about have it 100% and I loved every minute of it. He reminded me of the tick/captain quark and even though the humor felt forced at times it still worked for me. Here's hoping for some DLC or a sequel!

No45

NZNova said:
Man, this game is great but it seems to have a difficulty wall instead of a difficulty curve. Going from stomping all over everything to suddenly having to do quests where the mobs oneshot you if you don't block them (the pips) and having no other quests to do to gain XP... yikes. Maybe I missed something but it seems quite hard all of a sudden. I managed to clear out the entire pip area by blocking every single attack that came my way and working my way slowly across... then I get sent down to the unicorn area and they're 7 levels above me... gah!
The Unicorn area is odd, at least by typical game terms. You obviously can attack them, however the game doesn't make it clear to you (At least not quite yet) that you can walk right through that area without being attacked. Quite a few more manageable quests beyond that point. :)

Also, as someone kindly pointed out to me, the Pips are VERY susceptible to a certain type of weapon, so experiment. With the right weapon you can literally nip in get a hit off and get out again before they strike, taking most if not all of their health in the process. There's an arrow version of the weapon as well, for extra safety. :)

Finished this 100% tonight. Some minor niggles aside, such as money being meaningless, the map and inventory screens lacking some functionality and a pointless and not terribly interesting level grind at the end - I thought it was fantastic. I went out of my way to do all of the quests and exhaust all of the dialogue options, just so that I could hear all of the lines the game has to offer.

Think I'm going to start over on the easiest difficulty setting with my daughter playing the lead and me being Sparkles - I'm sure she'll love the dialogue too.

Thumbs up all around, and great value for money. Can't believe I read a comment (Actually I might have heard it, now that I think about it, on a podcast) that said you can complete all of the content the game has to offer in four hours. I haven't checked my time but it's definitely upwards of ten.

Just bought it yesterday and had a 5hrs straight session.. loving everything about the game

the main character reminds me of American Dad hehe

Stan_Smith_American_Dad.jpg

nli10

No45 said:
The Unicorn area is odd, at least by typical game terms. You obviously can attack them, however the game doesn't make it clear to you (At least not quite yet) that you can walk right through that area without being attacked. Quite a few more manageable quests beyond that point. :)

Don't stray from the path due to mating season I think the sign says.

eznark

Banned
best place to farm? I'm at 19 and about 25% of the way to 20. Only thing I have left to do is go kill Von Pronk.

eznark said:
best place to farm? I'm at 19 and about 25% of the way to 20. Only thing I have left to do is go kill Von Pronk.

I teleported back and forth between the turtles and the unicorns, but it seems like I leveled much quicker after beating the game.

Haunted

eznark said:
You can still level after beating the game?
Yep.

But there's no new areas, so just go to the and kill some unicorns after you beat the final boss. Good way to use up all those unused items from before, too. I had to teleport a couple times to reach 20.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
eznark said:
You can still level after beating the game?
Yeah.

I was in the exact same situation as you at the end of my game. I attempted to max myself out before the final fight, but it was going extremely slow.

I just went ahead and killed the final boss. Afterwards, you're dumped back into the game. You can wander off to a new door that opens to end the game or you can head back into the world to do more grinding.

And yes, the leveling goes much faster once you've beaten the boss.

Quest help please:

Quest name:
The Forgotten Sidekick

Details:
I have tried the mines but I couldn't find that guy's body

Music reminds me of Skullmonkeys. I love it.

Just purchased it today. I thought I would be buying more of the Summer of Arcade titles so I was saving my points, but only ended up buying two of them. Got this instead.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
almokla said:
Quest help please:

Quest name:
The Forgotten Sidekick

Details:
I have tried the mines but I couldn't find that guy's body
It's not in the mines. It's in the cave with the first Spelunker quest, to the east of the village. It's called Eye-something Cave, and it has those Lazy Eye monsters in it. And it's not his body - it's just his journal.

Top Bottom