• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DeathSpank |OT| (XBLA/PSN)

BTW if anyone is wondering, I would say you can beat the story stuff in this game within 8 hours easy if you try to keep going to the right areas and not get sidetracked. Had I not gotten stuck on the very last quest I likely could have done it in 7. I went for speed and melee maxed before using the other stuff, and it worked out well for me. I pretty much tried to play with the max output of damage, very rarely using block. You can abuse the combat system a lot with max speed, too, since you can just circle strafe most bosses, or at least attack and step back and attack (and so on)... I found ranged to be worthless and not worth upgrading at all, especially since you are limited to special ammo that isn't really consistently dropping, but you can pull shit with it well enough.

If you don't want to have to think about armor, there's a toggle that automatically puts the best pieces on in realtime, so if you grab something new it will auto-equip, though this does not work for weapons. Don't worry about getting every chest you come across (you have to get keys to open them, usually from completing quests) as they're usually just money and crappy loot. By the time I finished I had over a million dollars and nothing to spend it on, so also don't worry about picking up your corpse if you die (you just lose some of your money, and it doesn't matter anyways).

mrgone

Deadliest Warrior's up on XBLA, but still no Deathspank. It's even spotlighted, but there's nothing to download yet but the trailer :eek: Weird.

Sqorgar

Banned
I just want to point out that even after characters give you a quest, you can usually talk to them again for additional dialogue. Also, in general, if you want to get the full effect, do the dialogue trees bottom up. The top line is usually "gimme the quest and shut up".

Also, I think you guys are being too hard on the humor based on the demo. The demo area's pacing seems a bit off to me. I think it gets better once you go across the bridge, but then, I have a soft spot for Pluckmuckel.

mujun

mrgone said:
Deadliest Warrior's up on XBLA, but still no Deathspank. It's even spotlighted, but there's nothing to download yet but the trailer :eek: Weird.

You can download it? I can't get it from Japan using my U.S account, seems to be IP locked :(

mrgone

mujun said:
You can download it? I can't get it from Japan using my U.S account, seems to be IP locked :(

It's listed in the spotlight section, but there's no game to download yet. Canadian store

Wessiej

burgerdog said:
Not up under "all games", "new releases arcade", or "spotlight". They don't have the download link, just the trailer.
Go to: Browse arcade games > action and adventure > deathspank > all downloads> Releasedate (or something) > BAM.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
burgerdog said:
That's what I meant when I said "all games." The game is there along with the trailer, no arcade download, though.

I am downloading as we speak, maybe not up in your region i guess.

Aspiring

Ok so i have a serious question. I was all down for this, but after reading some impressions and reviews im scared. I am now torn between this and Toy Soldiers. I understand they are different, but whats the better game? Which has better single player?

mujun

Aspiring said:
Ok so i have a serious question. I was all down for this, but after reading some impressions and reviews im scared. I am now torn between this and Toy Soldiers. I understand they are different, but whats the better game? Which has better single player?

I haven't played more than 10 minutes of Deathspank but I can't recommend Toy Soldiers highly enough. Still you are always best off taking both demos for a spin of course :D

Ricker

Why is this not up at the regular place on the Marketplace all of a sudden...jesus sometimes I wonder who runs that place :lol

Played the PS3 demo and liked it enough,there was a few good lines in there,like,`if you only buy one game this year...you clearly ain`t buying enough videogames`(instead of the usual buy this one,although they hammer that at you a few times as well hehe)...i`m just disappointed that the co-op is not online,this would be perfect for the game...oh well,got to decide between this or the CCR pack now.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
burgerdog said:
What res are you playing at? People said the game was tear free at 720p on ps3 and it tears at 1080p. So far 360 has been tear free at 1080p.

1080p, also tried on 720p and no tearing in both resolutions.

burgerdog

The only thing I don't like is the 360 version being considerably darker than the ps3 version. The game doesn't have a brightness slider option and I don't want to change the settings on my calibrated tv for just one game.

ZeMMiK

any impressions about the game itself ?? I do not care about tearing or resolutions... a well I will go home and test it myself.

JWong

Banned
I only played like ten minutes of it before I had to sleep.

First conversation already had me chuckling. Classic dialog in the veins of Monkey Island and such adventure games.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
MoxManiac said:
Liked the demo but am concerned over the short length of the game.

whoa, since when is anything in the 10 hour ballpark area a short game?

I can name 5 fullprice AAA titles on my shelf right now that are sub 10h...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sqorgar said:
I just want to point out that even after characters give you a quest, you can usually talk to them again for additional dialogue. Also, in general, if you want to get the full effect, do the dialogue trees bottom up. The top line is usually "gimme the quest and shut up".

Also, I think you guys are being too hard on the humor based on the demo. The demo area's pacing seems a bit off to me. I think it gets better once you go across the bridge, but then, I have a soft spot for Pluckmuckel.
You have to remember that they are the same cultured sophisticates that dwell in Off-Topic.

Kajiba

Played a couple of minutes of the demo. I like it alot. Gonna buy it.

Dialogue is pretty funny too. Wise Cow is great :lol

Top Bottom