• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DeathSpank |OT| (XBLA/PSN)

MoxManiac

Corky said:
whoa, since when is anything in the 10 hour ballpark area a short game?

I can name 5 fullprice AAA titles on my shelf right now that are sub 10h...

Well, i'm going primarily by impressions, I haven't played the game myself so I don't know what it's longevity is. 8 hours is pretty short for a diablo style loot game, esp if it doesn't have higher difficulties with better loot. Torchlight is in this price range and that game has a signficant amount of content.

And i'd never buy a full priced (I assume you mean $60) game that was under 10 hours. If it's that short, i'll wait for it to get bargin binned.

MoxManiac said:
And i'd never buy a full priced (I assume you mean $60) game that was under 10 hours. If it's that short, i'll wait for it to get bargin binned.

Still awaiting Deathspank when I get home today but this statement always boggles my mind. Now adays a ten hour game can take me up to a week or two simple because I'm only able to game a hour or two a session a few times a week. I just don't have the time like I used to (job, gf, workout, etc). So for me, as long as a game offers quality content in its said 10 hours. I'm pleased. Just depends on your life situation I guess. Personally really long games I barely purchase... too long!!! :lol :lol :lol So in regards to Deathspank, its length seems perfect for me.

19Kilo

Anyone spent a good amount of time with both versions yet? I was saving some MS points for Limbo, but I'm not opposed to grabbing this on XBLA if it ends up being the better version.

JWong

Banned
MoxManiac said:
Well, i'm going primarily by impressions, I haven't played the game myself so I don't know what it's longevity is. 8 hours is pretty short for a diablo style loot game, esp if it doesn't have higher difficulties with better loot. Torchlight is in this price range and that game has a signficant amount of content.

Torchlight also doesn't have even an hours worth of dialogue. It's just hack and slash in randomly generated dungeons over and over.

Deathspank has unique landscapes over the course of the game, and it has very unique loot to get, not just "Qualitative Verb" "Animal name" of the "Something from Tolkien Universe" that looks like a regular broadsword.

19Kilo said:
Anyone spent a good amount of time with both versions yet? I was saving some MS points for Limbo, but I'm not opposed to grabbing this on XBLA if it ends up being the better version.

I'm DLing the 360 version right now. I'll let you know in a bit cause yeah, PStriple version was tear heavy.

MoxManiac

I'm not really concerned with dialogue though. I just want to bash stuff and make my little guy stronger. Maybe I should just stick with Torchlight and it's ilk, then.

BTW I did notice screen tearing in the PS3 demo for anyone that hasn't tried it yet. Dunno about XBLA though. If the XBLA version doesn't have the tearing that's the one to get.

burgerdog

19Kilo said:
Played both trial versions and going with the 360 version. I was initially going to get the ps3 version because of dts, and then the game ended up tearing if you played at 1080p, while the 360 version does not. I'll take a vsync'ed image over better sound.

bryehn

Having trouble with the Greem Champion. He keeps getting his life back, but I pulled all the "champion turnips". Little help?

EDIT: lol nevermind, fired a chicken cannon at him

bryehn

I honestly haven't seen any tearing on the PS3 full version yet (about 90 minutes in/720p), but the framerate can get pretty rough. I usually spot tearing pretty quick so maybe it's limited to the demo?

burgerdog

bryehn said:
I honestly haven't seen any tearing on the PS3 full version yet (about 90 minutes in/720p), but the framerate can get pretty rough. I usually spot tearing pretty quick so maybe it's limited to the demo?
Like it's been said a couple of times now, ps3 tears only in 1080p.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
EY!

Wtf is this? Reading through this thread I was expecting the game to be somewhat of a letdown.

I fucking LOVE IT! I hade to pull myself away from the game, sat down for like 4 hours straight and I'm like only at 20%

The artstyle is a breath of fresh air, and the visuals overall are amazing.
The game is fun to play (as fun as a diablo-esque game can be), its absolutely wonderful.
The writing is very fun, I love deathspank and the NPCs he encounter.

This game has a bit of torchlights visuals, a tinge of diablos loot and very reminiscent of the questformat of MMOs like WoW.

A mustbuy xbla title imo

taku

Corky said:
EY!

Wtf is this? Reading through this thread I was expecting the game to be somewhat of a letdown.

I fucking LOVE IT! I hade to pull myself away from the game, sat down for like 4 hours straight and I'm like only at 20%

The game is fun to play (as fun as a diablo-esque game can be), its absolutely wonderful.

This game has a bit of torchlights visuals, a tinge of diablos loot and very reminiscent of the questformat of MMOs like WoW.

A mustbuy xbla title imo
Basically this.

19Kilo

taku said:
Basically this.

Good, I was starting to debate whether the full game was worth it or not. Was just checking out that Deadliest Warrior game instead, but I think I'm gonna stick with this one.

Corky said:
EY!

A mustbuy xbla title imo

Also this! On a hunch I bought before downloading which I never usually do, expecting to love it and I do. Very nice expectations met/exceeded.

Corky said:
EY!

A mustbuy xbla title imo

Agreed!

It's a fun game with some humorous writing and gorgeous looking environments and while it may not be as deep as a diablo or a torchlight but it's a great romp through a fairytale world.

Tomasooie

I guess this game's not for me.

The voice acting is insufferable, the humor falls flat (the voiceovers don't help), and the gameplay seems to solely consist of running around and whacking enemies, with not much depth to it. I usually play a demo through to give the game a chance, but this one went off in about fifteen minutes.

chixdiggit

Played the demo but felt too basic for my tastes. I would rather just sink some more time into Diablo or Torchlight. Though I might pick it up next time a friend is over for some co-op gaming.

Lunchbox

Banned
alright the game gets way better after a certain part...

involving a taco.

the humor was crap until then, but i actually started enjoying it after meeting that character. the oxm review was spot on. the game takes awhile to get going. imo the demo should've started from that section. the opening is really boring

feel

I liked it, might buy someday, not right now, have too many other games to play.

I was hating on Deathspank (the lead character) at first, the slow and deep way he delivers the lines is just so annoying for me, so a couple of friendly NPCs into the demo, I turned off the game's dialog, and he became a million times more enjoyable for me. By just reading the text (and skipping quickly as I finish reading each line) I just imagine an awesome fast voice similar to the one of guybrush.

eznark

Banned
I haven't noticed any technical issues at all on the PS3 version. Just dinged level 10 and am having an absolute blast with this game.

nli10

I'm having good fun. The quests feel like point and click puzzles crossed with MMO elements. Hoping there is lots to see and do, and likeing the rapid combo system.

Outhouses mean that there is no chore of back tracking which artificially shortens the game compared to some loot games.

Pretty much can set the game to auto choose armour and then select weapons. Only got 2 crossbows so far including the original - think i've been unlucky to get this far (just unlocked the final avatar rewards) without better firepower.

Didn't think i'd be getting this - at the moment I'm glad I did.

Sqorgar

Banned
Letters said:
I was hating on Deathspank (the lead character) at first, the slow and deep way he delivers the lines is just so annoying for me, so a couple of friendly NPCs into the demo, I turned off the game's dialog, and he became a million times more enjoyable for me. By just reading the text (and skipping quickly as I finish reading each line) I just imagine an awesome fast voice similar to the one of guybrush.
It's funny you say that. While I certainly don't think the voice actor did a poor job, when I wrote most of my dialogue, I had no idea what DeathSpank looked or sounded like. I actually had a very different idea of the character - more of a Bruce Campbell meets Dirty Harry with a West Wing-style pacing. I think I wrote DeathSpank to be a little smarter than he ended up sounding. I'm tempted to play through the game a second time without voice and see how it plays with my original mental image. It's probably a completely different experience.

Don't get me wrong. I think the voice actor does an excellent job though. It was jarring the first time I heard it, but it's grown on me. He really goes for broke.

sdornan

Completely stuck at the
swamp
and the
burned up town with giants
who kill me in one hit. Not sure how to procede really; almost feel like giving up. Sucks cause I enjoyed the game up until now.

JWong

Banned
Tomasooie said:
I guess this game's not for me.

The voice acting is insufferable, the humor falls flat (the voiceovers don't help), and the gameplay seems to solely consist of running around and whacking enemies, with not much depth to it. I usually play a demo through to give the game a chance, but this one went off in about fifteen minutes.
Voice acting? Yeah, humour isn't for you.

CSampson

Played 30 minutes, seemed to be okay. I think the Diablo comparison is thrown around a little too liberally though, I don't feel the attachment to items yet.

Tomasooie

JWong said:
Voice acting? Yeah, humour isn't for you.
What? I just don't like the voice of DeathSpank; it's obnoxious as all hell. Jeez.

I actually thought of turning off the voiceovers like someone above mentioned, but by then I didn't feel like playing the game anymore..

AgentOtaku said:
I'm DLing the 360 version right now. I'll let you know in a bit cause yeah, PStriple version was tear heavy.

Didn't notice any tearing in the 360 version, and I can't stand screen tearing and would have noticed.

Tried out the demo on PS3, 720p, no tearing or frame dips even with loads of enemies onscreen getting thoroughly justice'd all at once.

I could see myself having a lot of fun with this one... definitely a buy.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Tomasooie said:
What? I just don't like the voice of DeathSpank; it's obnoxious as all hell. Jeez.

I actually thought of turning off the voiceovers like someone above mentioned, but by then I didn't feel like playing the game anymore..
Yeah, it's like a really bad version of The Tick who I do love.

Chris_C

Played the demo, don't get the hate, it's fun, simple, and charming, oh, and nice production values for a $15 game. I'll get this.

Psy-Phi

soldat7 said:
It tears like a banshee at 1080p, but at 720p, it's not too bad.
Do you have to disable 720p to get the game to show in 1080p? Or is there some trick I don't know about to get the PS3 to always use the highest a game supports?

legbone

this game makes me giggle. anyway, so i researched ron gilbert and found out that he is one of the guys behind the monkey island games. i have always heard good things about them but thought they probably weren't for me (not enough action). well, i was wrong. i bought (after trying and laughing at the demo) the secret of monkey island: se just now and am about to play through it for the first time. i would like to thank deathspank and its developers for introducing me to a series i would probably have never tried (my pc's have always sucked). thanks again guys!!

Top Bottom