• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DeathSpank |OT| (XBLA/PSN)

Sqorgar

Banned
Xater said:
I really liked it but to end a downloadable game like this is really shameless.
Is that because it was too short or because it ends on a cliffhanger or something? (I don't actually know how it ends.)

IdleRover

Sqorgar said:
I'm actually a little irritated because there's this line with Ms. Heybenstance where DeathSpank confuses magic seal for enchanted circus seal, but they cut the joke that came after it. It's a good line and EVERYBODY chooses it, but your reward for picking the weird option is just "Not that kind of seal. I don't even know why I bother." In their defense, Ms. Heybenstance had the burden of both the plot set up and a complex quest, so that sequence was already running way too long as it is.

May I ask what the end of that joke was supposed to be, or can't you divulge that?

Danielsan

Sqorgar said:
Is that because it was too short or because it ends on a cliffhanger or something? (I don't actually know how it ends.)
Haven't played the game aside from the demo but apparently it ends in cliffhanger that suggest you will have to buy the DLC to find out what happens next.
Think Pixel Junk Shooter style.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well as I stated earlier in this thread , I love this game.

BUT

I've found one thing thats driving me NUTS, combat music? That doesnt change? Like a 5 second bassline that loops, over and over again until you're out of combat and starts as soon as you enter it again? Dear lord....why not make a vuvuzuela sound each time you fucking hit an enemy.

I'm thinking about turning off the music, that would be such a shame seeing as some of the real music is very good.

Psy-Phi

burgerdog said:
Just have 720p and 1080p on as supported resolutions for your set. If a game is 1080p it will automatically choose that res upon launching, no tricks involved.
I just assumed it was running in 720p, the 360 has spoiled me upscaling everying to 1080p. I wish the PS3 could do the same. I don't like all the video mode switching that goes on with the PS3.

Anyway -- I played them both, flipping back and forth between the two, and the 360's colors were a bit more vibrant, though the sound wasn't as crisp. Still, I think I'll go with that version due to the frame rate. It kinda hopped a bit on both in places, but more frequently on the PS3. I didn't notice any tearing, at least not like the kind I've seen on my PC with vsync off in the past. But there was definitely something going on with the frames. I think it just wasn't running as smoothly. Which is a shame -- because I prefer to get multi-console releases on the PS3 since I'm always afraid my 360 could go at any moment.

Bought it last night, played for 3 or 4 hours and i'm at level 14 or 15. Great game! Graphics and art are fantastic and I enjoy the writing. Some of the weapons are very creative and fun to use. Loot overall is cool. This game is easily worth the $15.

Xater

Moobabe said:
So you thoroughly recommend it?

Yes I would recommend it. It's one of the best donwloadable titles out there.

And yes the game ends on a cliffhanger with a big tease for things to come. And the way it looks in the game it might be DLC but who knows. I just didn't like that it looked like something was basically missing in the game. You will see for yourself when you come to the end.

Jinaar

The only thing this game needs is:

2 player Multiplayer in the world after the game is done. Place in huge epic boss monsters in all the unique areas already in the game. Random/Rare Unique drops from huge monsters to help defeat other ones in the game. Rinse repeat.

Gimme.

I want to hack and slash with friends in this world!

Sqorgar

Banned
Tryph said:
May I ask what the end of that joke was supposed to be, or can't you divulge that?
I'm not sure I can give details on that, but it wasn't a great joke by any stretch. It's just that having nothing at all after such a good line feels anticlimactic.

Xater said:
And yes the game ends on a cliffhanger with a big tease for things to come. And the way it looks in the game it might be DLC but who knows. I just didn't like that it looked like something was basically missing in the game. You will see for yourself when you come to the end.
I'm not allowed to discuss that. I can't even hint at that. There's no nudging nudging, winking winking that I can do on this subject at all, less they castrate me and hang my ball-less corpse from a pole to serve as a warning to all others who dare be so foolish and negligent. It is a dark secret that I alone must bear. This burden is too great... too terrible...

Actually, I'm not really in the loop with those decisions. You'll have to ask HotHead what their future plans are for the game. Hopefully something that involves paying me more money.

taku

Anyone notice one tune in this game is basically a tribute to a certain diablo tune?

And yes, I'm with you guys on this one. The music can get a bit repetitive. I would love a sequel to this, heck, I'd even pay for a full retail game!

eXistor

I've been playing all day. I fucking love it. It gets a bit repetitive sure, but the game is so damn fun and addicting! I wish there were a bit more puzzles though. I'd love for Ron Gilbert to make a new PnC game, he's clearly still got it in him to write great dialogues.

burgerdog

What's the leaderboard looking like on ps3? Check under justice dispensed, which should be the main leaderboard. 360 currently has 13122.

I buy xbla games left and right, but after watching the promo video I think I'll pass on this one. It looks like it's got got some humor, but diablo style gameplay really isn't my thing.

Corky

Sqorgar said:
Actually, all the great dialogues were mine :)

(totally serious)

You've done a great job with the dialogue, bravo. Its rather difficult for games to be funny per se but thus far the game has done quite right :D <3

Jinaar

"Why do the Greems hate you so?" - DeathSpank

The answer by the Lazy Fisherman... I never saw that coming. The dialog is brilliant, good sir!

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Bamelin said:
How is co-op in the game?

Co-op is ok, but it's basically just a filler for the other guy sitting in the game room.
You can heal and do some simple attacks, but don't get the loot or level up. Drop in/Drop out style.
Deathspank gets to level up, change his gear, loot chests and do all the conversations.

That is my experience with the first few hours with a friend. It was still fun though.

Edit:
Jinaar said:

The answer by the Lazy Fisherman... I never saw that coming. The dialog is brilliant, good sir!

Yes sir! Best answer for that one. :D

Corto

Sqorgar said:
Actually, all the great dialogues were mine :)

(totally serious)

Bravo! :D Love this kind of heros/humor like Johny Bravo or Captain Qwark. Hope you get the opportunity to earn more money with DeathSpank in a near future!

Wehrwolf

Jinaar said:
I have to say this is the best game I have ever played. Its beautiful, its hilarious, its down right fun.

It just needs abit more inventory and it would be fantastic. I bow to DeathSpank!

My first thought was that you seem prone to hyperbole with calling this the best game ever, but hey, more power to you that you just got something you like so much... But "It just needs abit more inventory and it would be fantastic. ".. The best game you've ever played isn't fantastic? You've never played a fantastic game? ;_;

Just finished the game; thought the presentation was excellent, writing was great and the graphical style was stunning.

However the game mechanics I found to be largely ass. The end game became:

Shoot enemies with my op crossbow whilst I back up until I've garnered maximum justice > Spinney fiery glyph attack of doom and everything died.

I understand it was meant to be Diablo-lite which worked really well at the start, and the choice to select auto-armor upgrades very handy given there was no reason to use anything other than your highest-tiered armour. The game really lacked depth though which I feel could of been easily resolved by a larger range of weapons.

I mean the concept clearly was that you'd have a wide variety of arms which had their own special abilities to make up for the lack of a skill system. Though the weapons end up being the same drab 7-8 base items with 3 tiers of strength despite how creative and funny the descriptions of them were. I was really hoping for more unique quirky weapons with their own abilities where every one looks as awesome as the weapon you get your hands on for the last quest.

Still well worth the price of admission is addictive as all Diablo games are and the presentation alone elevates it into something special.

Parallax Scroll said:
I buy xbla games left and right, but after watching the promo video I think I'll pass on this one. It looks like it's got got some humor, but diablo style gameplay really isn't my thing.
buy it anyway. actually I don't play this as a diablo style game at all. have the armor set to auto switch to the best stuff picked up. still have to switch out weapons, but it's not much work. it's just an awesome action adventure thing overall. superb dialogue missions music graphics and voiceacting edit: oh and brilliant cutscenes

Sectus

Is this worthwhile for someone who doesn't care about loot games at all? I played the demo and I thought all the dialogue was funny, but I didn't find anything fun about the gameplay.

I've become extremely tired of lootwhore games or games where leveling up are the main features. I was able to enjoy Torchlight, but that was because I thought the general combat (as the ranged fighter) was fun. I quickly disposed of loot and quickly allocated attribute points with very little thought.

So will this game be enjoyable for someone like me?

Sqorgar

Banned
Jinaar said:

Can't take credit for that one. In general, I didn't do the subquests. I think I did Pippin Apple and Bobblewood, and that's all.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Reached Pluckmuckle. Really enjoying this a lot. I've played 3-4 hours and the map is only 10-20% exposed. So glad there's a game like this as a DL game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
not really feeling the demo.

would buy the PC version in a heartbeat, though.

tjohn86

Ezahn said:
As someone already said, it's all about sidequests: you do them, you gain keys, you open locked chests.
Profit.

I did them them all. I didn't gain enough keys. I don't open locked chests. No profits.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
This is an alright waste of time. The humor isn't really doing it for me, but hell, a new loot co-op loot whore game on consoles? Those don't come around too often.

burgerdog

Rez said:
not really feeling the demo.

would buy the PC version in a heartbeat, though.
What would make the pc version that much better that you would buy it in an instant? Game controls fine on consoles.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's the perfect minimise>play>minimise game.

Tokubetsu

Joseph Merrick said:
buy it anyway. actually I don't play this as a diablo style game at all. have the armor set to auto switch to the best stuff picked up. still have to switch out weapons, but it's not much work. it's just an awesome action adventure thing overall. superb dialogue missions music graphics and voiceacting edit: oh and brilliant cutscenes

I thought you only played PC games Joseph Merrick? What are you doing? :lol

Zeliard

The gameplay is pretty basic and the humor is so broad that it can be hit-or-miss, but the visuals are gorgeous and I appreciate that the game is incredibly goofy and doesn't take either itself or the genre remotely seriously.

Ron Gilbert's writing is definitely familiar with the typical tropes of the genre and the game doesn't hesitate to poke fun at them (while also using them).

Plus, I'm a huge lootwhore, so I couldn't really help but buy it. Lootwhores Anonymous. I need it, and yet, I don't want it.

Corky

I dont get how glyphs work,...

I finally found one that matched my setup.

A lightning rod + a nature weapon

But I couldnt see what kind of effect the glyph had=

Hank The Tank

Neo Member
Corky said:
I dont get how glyphs work,...

I finally found one that matched my setup.

A lightning rod + a nature weapon

But I couldnt see what kind of effect the glyph had=

You are supposed to use both weapons at the same time when the justice meter is full.

Xater

Sqorgar said:
Can't take credit for that one. In general, I didn't do the subquests. I think I did Pippin Apple and Bobblewood, and that's all.

Are you responsible for the orphan girl in the demon cave? :D

Vashu

I love this game, it's insane. Only gripe I have with it is the damn Pip Marauders. One smash and I'm near to death. I tried taking them down using fire arrows, but eventually ran out.

What is the best course of action against these guys? Mind you, I am at least one level higher than they are.

protonion

Vashu said:
I love this game, it's insane. Only gripe I have with it is the damn Pip Marauders. One smash and I'm near to death. I tried taking them down using fire arrows, but eventually ran out.

What is the best course of action against these guys? Mind you, I am at least one level higher than they are.

Block-attack.They do less than 10HP damage per hit.

Top Bottom