• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DeathSpank |OT| (XBLA/PSN)

JWong

Banned
BaronLundi said:
- grinder is a great idea but for the love of god why not assign a shortcut ? (or did I miss it ? It made the whole thing almost as bad a hassle as selling them to a vendor)
I was thinking the same thing, but I figured it out. Pick up the grinder, and move it over the items.

Don't have to move items to the grinder!

JWong said:
I was thinking the same thing, but I figured it out. Pick up the grinder, and move it over the items.

The grinder is movable ?!? But but but... you're supposed to put stuff in the grinder, not the grinder over stuff :D

Sticky this !

Been playing it in small bites with my brother and I'm enjoying it a lot. Love the humor and the art style. It's a pity it doesn't have ng+, randomized dungeons, online co-op, etc., but it is definitely worth the 12€ I payed for it.

Hope it sells well too. Maybe that way Torchlight and Diablo 3 will find their way to my PS3. :p

AcridMeat

Banned
Whoever said in this thread to zoom out the camera is a genius. I had just unlocked the game and decided to try that out and it instantly made the game "work" for me. :D

John

This is basically Munchkin: The Video game if it starred Captain Qwark. It's so great.

(soundtrack's Nancy Sinatra + Anglagard)

xbhaskarx

I don't really pay attention to achievements but there should be one relating to money, because it sucks having $1.5 million with nothing to spend it on.
Anyone who is just starting out should buy as much food / health potions as they can because money is useless. I can't even spend it on weapons because I already have everything that is for sale. Wow, according to the stats, I have gained $5.8 million spent $4 million.
Hopefully there is DLC so I can spend all this money...

Bebpo

Banned
Played the demo and enjoyed the writing/acting. Combat was decent. Will probably pick it up but not in the mood right now. I was getting quests left and right, and it seemed like a lot of work! :lol

Durante

I just finished the game in a single (prolonged) coop session (with 100% achievements, on hard). Probably my favorite download-only title so far this year. It's not very deep and doesn't have any replay value, but it's well worth the asking price.

BaronLundi said:
The grinder is movable ?!?
We discovered this after completing 80% of the game :lol

daycru

Enjoying it, a good "girlfriend" game. The adventure game parts of it happen a bit too frequently though, too much talking. End up blitzing through most of it.

Is 20 the level cap?

legbone

JWong said:

holy shit! you just blew my mind. thanks.

and to the poster above: yep. 20 is the cap.

xbhaskarx

Anyone have tips on getting up to level 20?
I got to the castle door at like 20% so I killed every single thing between the castle and Pluckmuckel, and that only got me to 50% or so.

By the way, the most fun I've had in this game was shooting swarms of Spiderlings in the haunted forest with my 30 arrows per second crossbow. So satisfying...

Finished the game.
+ good writing (but I think Penny Arcade Adventures had better) and some enjoyable quests
+ cool world, cool view, cool camera
+ A lot of fun; addicting
+ For a downloadable game, the graphics are pretty good

+/- Combat. Sometimes I liked it, and sometimes I hated it.
+/- Story. Side-quests were cool and some witty, cool dialect. Also a few Monkey Island-y parts. The main plot was missing something though

- Boss battles and most of the game is just too easy, and if it's not easy, it's reallly cheap
- Music, ugh (except the rather catchy title screen)
- Really unbalanced
- Menu/management system

- - - Ending.
Why, oh why, does Hothead do this all the time? The ending was basically a huge cliffhanger. Which was what they did with Penny Arcade Ep 1 and 2, and that's extra insulting since they're like, nah, we're not going to continue that, so you'll just have to live in mystery

Overall, I'd give it a 7-7.5. It's a good game, though a bit disappointing. Still, I enjoyed it, and I think it was worth the price tag.

protonion

BTW there is a sword in the game that has an amazing special spin attack. I don't remember the name but I think you get it for completing a quest.With this sword I finished the game without even coming close to dieing.

Hank The Tank

Neo Member
xbhaskarx said:
Anyone have tips on getting up to level 20?
I got to the castle door at like 20% so I killed every single thing between the castle and Pluckmuckel, and that only got me to 50% or so.

By the way, the most fun I've had in this game was shooting swarms of Spiderlings in the haunted forest with my 30 arrows per second crossbow. So satisfying...

Kill everyone at the castle, warp to the unicorns and kill them then warp back to the castle then warp to the unicorns then...

i never thought i would say this after buying the episodic monkey island games and never getting passed the second episode but deathspank really makes me want to go back and try out the older games

buffi

Banned
terrdactycalsrock said:
i never thought i would say this after buying the episodic monkey island games and never getting passed the second episode but deathspank really makes me want to go back and try out the older games

Why? Deathspank isn't really similar to Monkey Island regarding to gameplay at all.

buffi said:
Why? Deathspank isn't really similar to Monkey Island regarding to gameplay at all.

i know but i really like the writing and i thought there was some clever moments like the dam mission that i feel like make me understand adventure games a little better

Xater

Hank The Tank said:
Kill everyone at the castle, warp to the unicorns and kill them then warp back to the castle then warp to the unicorns then...

Yep did the same thing to get to level 20.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
well fuck this.

I'm standing at the last bitch orphan and I cant open his cage. All he says when I click him is " Heeeeelp save us " ad naseam....

Had it up to here with some of this games bullshit frankly

JWong

Banned
I had a moment of clarity when I was fighting a certain mob.

The fighting mechanics are deeper than I had thought.

There are these exploding dudes in the demon cave that I usually just mash and take the hit, but I figured out an advanced way of beating them without taking damage. I shoot it with arrows until it gets close, then I smash it with a melee weapon which usually puts it near death. I use my shield, ram into it, and it causes the demon to be pushed back far enough that its explosion wouldn't hit me. I finish it off with arrows.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to fight all kinds of mobs in an advanced way. It seems like speed is the best for fighting because you can hit mobs and run out of their range before their attacks land. I was able to kill a level 20 unicorn at level 15.

Definitely a lot of depth in the fighting mechanics. I just wish that they actually spent time to teach it.

Barbarian

Is there any discernable difference between the XBL and PSN vesions? I'm not trying to start a fanboy battle, just trying to decide which platform to buy it on. Thanks!

Gowans007 said:
Nanny demon
I'm level 13 with weapons that do around 700 melee damage, plus the 25% bonus, but my armor isn't so great and my HP is low... I really need to find some fire resistance items or just go buy a shitload of potions I guess, because Nanny's whoopin my ass before I can even take 1/2 her life away.

My one gripe with the combat is that if you hold block, then attack while holding block, he doesn't go back to blocking after the attack, so I've gotta constantly remind myself to let go of block and hold it again after attacking.

This game is dreamy, though. Loving it.

Dragnet

terrdactycalsrock said:
i know but i really like the writing and i thought there was some clever moments like the dam mission that i feel like make me understand adventure games a little better

I feel the same way man, I love the puzzle elements in this game and it makes me really want to try out Monkey Island.

Wizpig

LiquidMetal14 said:
Not really. Outside of the 1080p tearing the PS3 is the same.
... ugh, nobody is arguing that.
But he also made the point of Avatar Awards.
If you like that kind of useless stuff it's a neat extra, hence why between XBLA and PSN you could choose XBLA.

Yeah, having said that, I just tried the demo.
I guess i'll give it a shot when it goes in deal of the week at 800 points... maybe.
I'd rather have Penny Arcade Adventures episode 3. (wrap up the story with episode 3, and call it a trilogy -_-)

taku said:
I can not for the life of me grasp how people can feel this way about the game. I didn't try the demo though, it must be awful if people are having these reactions..
The demo is the full game, you can play for like 20 or 30 minutes.

In the first minutes, you kill chickens with random button mashing and read dialogue, so yeah, that's why some people didn't like it, I guess.

Also, personally, I didn't like the characters' voices.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Funky Functionality said:
I'm level 13 with weapons that do around 700 melee damage, plus the 25% bonus, but my armor isn't so great and my HP is low... I really need to find some fire resistance items or just go buy a shitload of potions I guess, because Nanny's whoopin my ass before I can even take 1/2 her life away.

My one gripe with the combat is that if you hold block, then attack while holding block, he doesn't go back to blocking after the attack, so I've gotta constantly remind myself to let go of block and hold it again after attacking.

This game is dreamy, though. Loving it.

I just used an invulnerability orb beside her and beat her down with an ice axe.

Wizpig

I always thought a good part of Penny Arcade Adventures was written directly by (Gabe and) Tycho, but I'm also pretty sure I'm wrong... :D i don't really know.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
LiquidMetal14 said:
Not really. Outside of the 1080p tearing the PS3 is the same.

So the PS3 has 1080p tearing while the 360 doesn't. I'm having a hard time seeing why that doesn't qualify as a graphical issue. I wasn't acting like it's some huge deal. The PS3 has a small issue while the 360 has none. No big deal either way, but technically the XBLA version is superior.

JWong

Banned
Wizpig said:
I always thought a good part of Penny Arcade Adventures was written directly by (Gabe and) Tycho, but I'm also pretty sure I'm wrong... :D i don't really know.
It was written by them.
Emerson said:
So the PS3 has 1080p tearing while the 360 doesn't. I'm having a hard time seeing why that doesn't qualify as a graphical issue. I wasn't acting like it's some huge deal. The PS3 has a small issue while the 360 has none. No big deal either way, but technically the XBLA version is superior.
One thing that I find quite useful and perhaps even necessary is using the DPad while moving around with the left analog. Since your thumb is on the left analog to move, it is impossible to hit the DPad with your left hand.

I can easily do that on the PS3 controller.

daycru

Stoney Mason said:
I'm stuck here at the moment. Blew through all my potions so I have to go back to town.
I went and grinded/did other quests until I could use the level 17 ice melee weapon. Hit him with it two or three times and he was dead.

The dirty orphan joke is getting so old, same thing every time. Just comes across to me as a direct lift from the bum stuff in Penny Arcade Adventures.

xbhaskarx

daycru said:
Cannot figure out how to get the final
two orphans that sit outside of Prong's castle.

You have all the others? I think that's the only requirement, after that they should just get right into your bag once you reach them.

Lunchbox

Banned
daycru said:
Cannot figure out how to get the final
two orphans that sit outside of Prong's castle.
go to a lost and found

that fixed it for me when i was stuck. was missing the keys somehow

daycru

Lunchbox said:
go to a lost and found

that fixed it for me when i was stuck. was missing the keys somehow
Would have been fucked without this reply, thanks. Was running around for an hour looking, at least I got some grinding done towards level 20.

ummo

Banned
Haters gonna Hate

hgh.jpg

mujun

Emerson said:

The PS3 version may also have more (some) slowdown. They mentioned it on Weekend Confirmed iirc. Take that with a grain of salt though because it was mentioned in a pretty offhanded manner.

Help!
Where is Freen when I need the felt to make the superweapon? Don't have enough hint cookies.

Hank The Tank

Neo Member
mujun said:
The PS3 version may also have more (some) slowdown. They mentioned it on Weekend Confirmed iirc. Take that with a grain of salt though because it was mentioned in a pretty offhanded manner.

Help!
Where is Freen when I need the felt to make the superweapon? Don't have enough hint cookies.

Follow the dragon poop.

Man

This really is the best downloadable games so far this year.

It has some flaws that stick out (humor working at a 1/30 ratio, dialog is slow so I will always have to skip forward) but the game and execution is absolutely marvelous.
If they had multiple classes and online (with a bit more content and better story) this could sell as a full retail game.

Top Bottom