• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DeathSpank |OT| (XBLA/PSN)

burgerdog said:
Just have 720p and 1080p on as supported resolutions for your set. If a game is 1080p it will automatically choose that res upon launching, no tricks involved.

That's the rule of thumb, but there are also quite some PS3&PSN games having a "secret" 1080p mode you need to force.
(not to mention sub-720p native games launching in 1080p as the default or the few games that apparently run better in 720p)

game is fun, only had tearing in 1080p at a specific time even though I have been in that area a couple of times already. It's probably due to how much you are zoomed out etc.

I sometimes use the coop for free healing, the second character will auto-follow Deathspank. ^^

Chris R

Had quite a bit of fun with the PS3 demo after going in expecting to hate it. Camera was an issue until I pulled it back as far as I could and then it wasn't too bad. I'll be buying as soon as the price drops to $10.

Vashu

Well, I took care of the thugs. Still need to work on my timing with the Marauder. :D Thing is, do I have to kill that Marauder in order to complete the quest? Can't finish the quest somehow. I found the brother, I think, but he got spanked to death unfortunately.

taku

Phoenix Fang said:
Download demo => play demo => delete demo after 20 minutes

Very boring game.
I can not for the life of me grasp how people can feel this way about the game. I didn't try the demo though, it must be awful if people are having these reactions..

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
protonion said:
Block-attack.They do less than 10HP damage per hit.

This seemed like the way to do it but I'm still really struggling. I got him 90% dead once but I'd dragged him too far and he ran back to his patrol route and healed (hate that)

Talking about the Pips, on the Pippin Apple quest

I found the brother and he then got murdered, and I haven't managed to kill the marauder, will killing him allow me to finish the quest?? I WANT THAT KEY

Hige

Beat the game at around 7.5 hours according to the stats book, but that doesn't seem to include time spent talking to NPCs so obviously the game's quite a bit longer. Pretty solid title for $15, but disappointed with the ending. Does every game have to have inevitable DLC nowadays?

Dialogue was decent and I chuckled a few times, though I could've done without the
felt salesman.
The dialogue at that instance just went on forever, I was like "ok I get it already." DeathSpank's voice actor grew on me over time, it was worth keeping the voices on mainly for the other NPCs though. :D

taku

Ghost said:
This seemed like the way to do it but I'm still really struggling. I got him 90% dead once but I'd dragged him too far and he ran back to his patrol route and healed (hate that)

Talking about the Pips, on the Pippin Apple quest

I found the brother and he then got murdered, and I haven't managed to kill the marauder, will killing him allow me to finish the quest?? I WANT THAT KEY
Yes, killing him will allow you to complete the quest.

Also, I'd like to point out that if you time your block just right, your justice meter will fill up instantly. It's kind of like parrying in SF3, I'm getting instant fills all the time, which is awesome since I can special attack a heck of a lot more (which allows me to kill high level enemies!).

Vashu

I just got myself a new fire axe, so that Marauder should be doable now. Especially when I can finally time my blocks right.

bryehn

got an item last night that says something about combining flaming weapon to make flaming cleaves, but I really can't figure out how to make use of it yet.

taku

bryehn said:
got an item last night that says something about combining flaming weapon to hake flaming cleaves, but I really can't figure out how to make use of it yet.

Equip fire weapon and cleaver, once your justice meter fills up, press fire & cleaver attack buttons simultaneously..

Yeah so, the game is kinda fun.
But right now, i dont quite know what to do. I'm level 15, and my next logical destination is the enchanted wood, where level 20 unicorns one shot the hell out of my butt. Am i supposed to be grinding somewhere, or did i miss a bunch of quests? I just got done cleaning up the burned village (well except for the lev 15 giants...).

Fistwell said:
Yeah so, the game is kinda fun.
But right now, i dont quite know what to do. I'm level 15, and my next logical destination is the enchanted wood, where level 20 unicorns one shot the hell out of my butt. Am i supposed to be grinding somewhere, or did i miss a bunch of quests? I just got done cleaning up the burned village (well except for the lev 15 giants...).

You can avoid them if you stay on the path. More stuff do in the southwesternish part of the forest.

You should also be able to go
east of Pluckmuckel to find the entrance to another part of the demon mines. Also an orcish camp, and the haunted forest

BaronLundi said:
You can avoid them if you stay on the path. More stuff do in the southwesternish part of the forest.

You should also be able to go
east of Pluckmuckel to find the entrance to another part of the demon mines. Also an orcish camp, and the haunted forest
Hey man, thanks for the heads up.
I did do the 2nd
demon mines
, i havent seen that
orc camp
though. I'll look for it.

Sqorgar

Banned
Hige said:
Dialogue was decent and I chuckled a few times, though I could've done without the
felt salesman.
The dialogue at that instance just went on forever, I was like "ok I get it already."
The original concept for that character was that he would tell you the actual history of felt - they researched it and everything - and you were supposed to get a trophy for listening to the whole boring lecture. I begged them to let me 'improve' history and they ended up relenting, so it could've been a lot worse. :)

xbhaskarx

Vashu said:
Only gripe I have with it is the damn Pip Marauders. One smash and I'm near to death. I tried taking them down using fire arrows, but eventually ran out.

For the small and medium sized Pips, I just kept shooting them with my 212 damage crossbow, running away the entire time, but in a circle so they would keep following me. Then I ran around the big Pip to the enchanted forest. It was awful, I wish I had read this thread first. :lol

protonion said:
Block-attack.They do less than 10HP damage per hit.

I have not used a single block-attack. God I feel so bad about the way I've been playing, I'm going to force myself to use it.

Fistwell said:
I'm level 15, and my next logical destination is the enchanted wood, where level 20 unicorns one shot the hell out of my butt. Am i supposed to be grinding somewhere, or did i miss a bunch of quests?

There is a note on the ground that says it is unicorn mating season and warns you not to stray from the path.

xbhaskarx

So this game is great, I love the art style.

I'm 60% done, having completed 21 main quests and 44 side quests, but now I'm stuck at the dam:
How do I remove the wood from the wheel so I can use it as a gear?

John

Turns out my brothers were the first people in the world to platinum this game yesterday. They played 16 hours straight. I want a summer vacation. :(

Gowans

Man this game is great, I'm sucked in.

My mrs even dropped in n out my game for a half hour play.

Love it, play the genre a lot on pc but loving the console experience, this is how you do it.

Neat game. Enjoying myself. Fills a nice gap that is missing on consoles. And lengthy for me. I can easily see I will go over 10 hours.

Completed the game this afternoon and I have to say I enjoyed it immensely - the art and graphic style is brilliant, I love the way the world unfolds in front of you, and at it's core the gameplay is very satisfying. I really enjoyed experimenting with different weapon combination special moves and the game does a great job with scaling the difficulty. There are a few graphical hitches at times, especially in later areas with a lot more going on, but for the most part it runs perfectly well. I generally enjoyed the dialogue and while it's not often laugh out loud funny, it certainly put a smile on my face. Overall i'd say that DeathSpank is well worth the price, I got a good 10 hours of gameplay and while there isn't much in the way of replay value, i'll probably play through again in co-op. One of my downloadable highlights of the year for sure, can't wait for more.

Finished the game with all side quests and achievements in about eleven or twelve hours which included about an hour of grinding to get to level 20. Had a lot of fun.

The downloadable console services need more loot grind games to tide me over until Diablo 3 comes out. C'mon Torchlight ;)

I played the demo for it's entire length and was thoroughly impressed. It has tight controls, neat atmosphere, humor, interesting art direction, and awesome gameplay. I was so bummed that I couldn't go any further in the demo! :(

If I had the money right now, I'd totally buy this game ASAP!

Gowans

Son of a bitch!

Mega pissed off, stuck In a dudgeon, can't beat the thing infront of me, enemies have respawned behind me so can't get out.

Argggggg!,!,!,!,

Gowans007 said:
Son of a bitch!

Mega pissed off, stuck In a dudgeon, can't beat the thing infront of me, enemies have respawned behind me so can't get out.

Argggggg!,!,!,!,
Same thing almost happened to me, exact same spot. I barely got out. Came back an hour later with a GODDAMNED VENGEANCE!!1!

xbhaskarx

Gowans007 said:
Son of a bitch!

Can you be more specific regarding location and type of enemy?

Also, you should never be out of health, if you mean food and not potions. By the time I use up my weakest type of health I usually have over 40 of the next two health types ready to go.

Gowans

xbhaskarx said:

Also, you should never be out of health, if you mean food and not potions. By the time I use up my weakest type of health I usually have over 40 of the next two health types ready to go.
Nanny demon

Dragnet

I love almost every part of this game, but I just can't fucking stand the music. I can't really explain it, but it's just getting into me in a bad way. I had the exact same problem with Bully which had a kinda similar soundtrack. It's tones just make me feel weird. Also the music when you fight. God fucking damn Hothead.

Custom Soundtracks gonna be all up in this bitch tonight!

xbhaskarx said:

You could also use a second controller to heal yourself to full w/o using items (plus assisting you in a tough fight)

I needed an invincible potion for that boss though, wasn't really a problem as I only use items for such occasions so I had a LOT.

Gowans

SolidusDave said:
You could also use a second controller to heal yourself to full w/o using items (plus assisting you in a tough fight)

I needed an invincible potion for that boss though, wasn't really a problem as I only use items for such occasions so I had a LOT.
Honestly I was tempted to turn on another controller, christ!

Just finished it. Great game overall !

+ Art and settings are beautiful
+ Very funny. I laughed in a few instances and chuckled quite a bit
+ Great dialogues and good balance between combat and mindless interactions with NPCs
+ Good voice acting and characters
+ Fast sewage teleportating devices *everywhere* is the way to go, thank god for that (+ it gave me a Day of The Tentacle good vibe).
+ Well worth the price for the amount of game time you get out of it (finished in 2 - long - sittings)

+/- Combat is satisfying but could be refined (more feedback when you hit would be welcome, manual targeting is useless, justice weapons are not well balanced (spinning blade is leagues ahead of others), ditto for runethingies (hint : spinning blade + fire or ice just destroys everything), blocking is hit or miss (not in the good sense).

- inventory is a clusterfuck
- grinder is a great idea but for the love of god why not assign a shortcut ? (or did I miss it ? It made the whole thing almost as bad a hassle as selling them to a vendor)
- no stat comparison is bad, you end up not caring about the loot and stats (should I keep my fire resistance set ?
no you don't
, my ice resistance set
trash it
, potions
except health potions they're mostly useless
- when you do all the side quests and don't hit max level by the credits, something is wrong
- music is (very) repetitive although I didn't mind too much as I kinda liked it
- thou shall not ship a game with so much tearing (PS3)

Nitpicks
- when you can combine stuff it'd better be used more than once or twice.
- first rune's description you come across reading something along the lines of "combine a melee weapon and a fire weapon for a unique ability" + this description is on the inventory screen with a "combine" button = one dumbfounded gamer (correct description would be : "press both your melee weapon and fire weapon at the same time when your justice meter is full")
- no real appeal for lootwhores (I'm sure every player ends up with pretty much the same gear, no replay incentive whatsoever, which is ok to me btw...)

That being said, those really are nitpicks, it's thoroughly enjoyable and I could hardly put it down until I was done (and I started Alan Wake *and* Joe Danger before starting this one...)

Top Bottom