• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I thought it was 9? :/

When you complete your commitment, you will have gotten 9 blu-rays total for $89.70 (or less, if you manage to get an offer that counts a title below $29.95 for commitment); that includes your 2 full-price commitment titles. Most of us order our commitment titles after the initial order so we can let it ride a little while in order to take advantage of some of the better monthly offers. So the initial enrollment order is just 7 for $21.90.

Downhome

Well, thanks to you lot, I joined the DMC. My first batch arrived today.

JJqbWRA.jpg

They all had slipcases except for Jungle Book. Fortunately, I don't give a hoot about those, so I'm not concerned.

I hope you don't just toss them out! Even if you don't want them people will pay insane amounts for them. If they are older titles where the slip is more uncommon, some nuts will pay more for the slip than they originally paid for the movie release itself!

When you complete your commitment, you will have gotten 9 blu-rays total for $89.70 (or less, if you manage to get an offer that counts a title below $29.95 for commitment); that includes your 2 full-price commitment titles. Most of us order our commitment titles after the initial order so we can let it ride a little while in order to take advantage of some of the better monthly offers. So the initial enrollment order is just 7 for $21.90.

You are exactly right. However, I think my account is glitched. Check this out (those who do the DMC should get this right away)...

ZYGNzE3.jpg

UkWZkFe.jpg

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I hope you don't just toss them out! Even if you don't want them people will pay insane amounts for them. If they are older titles where the slip is more uncommon, some nuts will pay more for the slip than they originally paid for the movie release itself!

Oh, no...I've been keeping them. I have a stash that I've been meaning to toss on eBay for a while now. Maybe I should get on that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Aha, I see. (I feel like I've asked you this before and I think you answered, but I can't remember so I'll just ask again:) Are Ghibli titles ever featured as monthly offers or do they mainly just stick with Disney Animation and Pixar stuff?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Aha, I see. (I feel like I've asked you this before and I think you answered, but I can't remember so I'll just ask again:) Are Ghibli titles ever featured as monthly offers or do they mainly just stick with Disney Animation and Pixar stuff?

They haven't done Ghibli stuff was a member, but they do live action stuff (Oz, Timothy Green, Avengers, John Carter, etc.) I just googled to see if I could check if they did Ghibli stuff at a time where I wasn't a member but couldn't find anything. Given that they've got three Ghibli titles coming out in November, I'd say there'd at least be a shot this time... unless Planes 2 or whatever is coming out then too?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The first two BD exclusives are now up to order on the DMC!

1233490.jpg
1233500.jpg

I'm glad they're doing this. Not because I like any of the 60s-70s live action junk really, but because it's the only avenue to getting DuckTales Treasure of the Lost Lamp or Doug's First Movie on Blu ahahah. There's a few other ones I'd want, I guess; Island at the Top of the World; Cool Runnings; I'll Be Home for Christmas; Return from Witch Mountain; The Black Hole; Midnight Madness; The Watcher in the Woods (especially if it was finally released uncut); Return to Oz; Quiz Show. Those are all long shots, but you never know.

Actually, I'd want a few of the 90s TV movies too like Mail to the Chief ("It's e-Mazing!")

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
They haven't done Ghibli stuff was a member, but they do live action stuff (Oz, Timothy Green, Avengers, John Carter, etc.) I just googled to see if I could check if they did Ghibli stuff at a time where I wasn't a member but couldn't find anything. Given that they've got three Ghibli titles coming out in November, I'd say there'd at least be a shot this time... unless Planes 2 or whatever is coming out then too?

Darn. I'm gonna sign up for this when the new Ghiblies come out and was hoping I could get a few of them for cheap via the monthly offers. Still, 9 blus for $89.70 ain't too bad.

omgkitty

So with the DMC you pay around $22 up front and get 7 blu-rays, but then at some point have to pay full price for 2 more movies? Also, their site looks super sketchy like it hasn't been updated in about 10 years and it glitches out when I try to use it.

Downhome

So with the DMC you pay around $22 up front and get 7 blu-rays, but then at some point have to pay full price for 2 more movies? Also, their site looks super sketchy like it hasn't been updated in about 10 years and it glitches out when I try to use it.

Yes, and the site is perfectly fine. I've never had a problem, and they are super easy to deal with. Don't look at it like you have to pay full price for two movies. Average it out to less than $10, and sometimes as low as $8 a title. You can't get Disney release cheaper anywhere else brand new.

By the way, go here and you can look over all featured titles since 2012. All you need to know about the DMC is there in that thread where we cover everything in detail...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=7665043&postcount=3

Listings of Previous Feature Titles:

2014 Feature Titles / Updates

August 2014: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=9464273&postcount=8908

..work in progress..
May 2014:
Hercules & Tarzan double feature - 34.95
Add-on:
+Frozen = 48.95
+The Jungle Book = 49.95

2013 Feature Titles

October- 2013:
• Feature Title: Peter Pan: Return to Neverland BD/DVD Combo Pack plus Bonus Gift Atlantis 2-Movie Collection BD/DVD Combo Pack for $29.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Peter Pan Diamond Edition BD/DVD/Digital Copy for $49.95 plus free shipping on the entire order.
September- 2013:
• Feature Title:The Little Mermaid 3D/BD/DVD/Digital Copy/Music for $31.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Super Buddies BD/DVD/Digital Copy Combo Pack or Cinderella BD/DVD Combo Pack for $46.95 plus free shipping on the entire order.
August- 2013:
• Feature Title:Robin Hood BD/DVD Combo Pack, plus The Sword in the Stone BD/DVD Combo Pack for $34.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Oliver and Company BD/DVD Combo Pack or The Muppet Movie BD/DVD Combo Pack for $49.95 and free shipping.
July- 2013:
• Feature Title:The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh BD/DVD/Digital Copy.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Frankenweenie BD/DVD or Oz: The Great and Powerful BD/DVD/Digital Copy for $44.95 plus free shipping on the entire order.
June- 2013:
• Feature Title: Lilo & Stitch (Two-Movie Collection) (BD,DVD) plus The Emperor's New Groove (2-Movie Collection) (BD,DVD) for $29.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Monsters, Inc. (BD,DVD) or Pocahontas (Two-Movie Collection) (BD,DVD) for $42.95 and free shipping.
May- 2013:
• Feature Title: Oz The Great and Powerful (BD,DVD,DC) for $29.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Atlantis (Two-Movie Collection) (BD,DVD) for $44.95 and free shipping.
April- 2013:
• Feature Title: Mulan (Two-Movie Collection) (BD,DVD) for $24.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Brave (BD,DVD) for $41.95 and free shipping.
Spring- 2013:
• Feature Title: The Odd Life of Timothy Green (BD,DVD) for $29.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Lady and the Tramp (BD,DVD,DC) for $45.95 and free shipping.
March - 2013:
• Feature Title: Brother Bear (Two-Movie Collection) (BD,DVD) plus The Hunchback of Notre Dame (2 Movie Collection) (BD,DVD) for $39.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Cinderella (BD,DVD,DC) for $55.95 and free shipping.
February - 2013:
• Feature Title: Wreck-It Ralph (BD,DVD) for $29.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Finding Nemo (BD,DVD) for $45.95 and free shipping.
January- 2013:
• Feature Title: Peter Pan (BD,DVD,DC) for $31.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Lady and the Tramp (BD,DVD,DC) for $49.95 and free shipping.
2012 Feature Titles
December- 2012:
• Feature Title: Secret of the Wings (BD,DVD) plus Cinderella II & III (2 Movie Collection) (BD,DVD) for $39.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Brave (BD,DVD) for $54.95 and free shipping.
November- 2012:
• Feature Title: Finding Nemo 3D (3DBD,BD,DVD,DC) for $31.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Up 3D (3DBD,BD,DVD,DC) for $48.95 and free shipping.
Winter- 2012:
• Feature Title: Santa Paws 2 (BD,DVD) plus Prep & Landing (2 Holiday Adventures) (BD,DVD) for $29.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: The Tigger Movie (BD,DVD) for $43.95 and free shipping.
Later October-Early November- 2012:
• Feature Title: Brave (BD,DVD) plus Pixar Short Films Collection, volume 2 (BD,DVD) for $41.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: The Muppet Christmas Carol (BD,DC) for $51.95 and free shipping.
Late September-Early October- 2012:
• Feature Title: Avengers 3D (3DBD,BD,DVD,DC) for $31.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Captain America (BD,DVD,DC) for $49.95 and free shipping.
Late August-Early September- 2012:
• Feature Title: Cinderella (BD,DVD,DC) for $31.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Pete’s Dragon (BD,DVD) for $41.95 and free shipping.
August- 2012:
• Feature Title: The Aristocats (BD,DVD) plus The Rescuers (2 Movie Collection) (BD,DVD) for $39.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Lady and the Tramp (BD,DVD,DC) for $54.95 and free shipping.
July- 2012:
• Feature Title: Treasure Planet (BD,DVD) for $29.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Home on the Range (BD,DVD) for $39.95 and free shipping.
June- 2012:
• Feature Title: The Princess Diaries (Two-Movie Collection) (BD,DVD) for $29.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: The Princess and the Frog (BD,DVD) for $41.95 and free shipping.
May- 2012:
• Feature Title: John Carter (BD,DVD) for $29.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Treasure Buddies (BD,DVD) for $42.95 and free shipping.
April- 2012:
• Feature Title: The Muppets (BD,DVD) for $29.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Enchanted (BD,DVD) for $36.95 and free shipping.
Spring- 2012:
• Feature Title: Thor (BD,DVD,DC) for $31.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Captain America (BD,DVD,DC) for $45.95 and free shipping.
March- 2012:
• Feature Title: Beauty and the Beast 3D (3DBD,BD,DVD,DC) for $24.95 plus shipping.
• Double Feature Add-On Title: Winnie the Pooh (BD,DVD,DC) for $46.95 and free shipping.

Special Thanks to rexxriot, for providing the vast majority of the previous Feature Titles!

It's sad how terrible the uk movie rewards are currently

Don't get me wrong I've had loads for free from there but the selection hasn't updated in ages

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So Platinum/Diamond equals vaulted titles?

In recent years, yes. Only the Platinum/Diamond titles get vaulted* (* Fantasia was not technically a Diamond release but has been vaulted). You can check the top of the OP for a list of the current vault if you're still confused.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
When might Fantasia be brought out of the vault? It and 2000 are the only films out of Disney's canon 53 that I haven't seen.

If you're just interested in buying it, the EU version is still widely available and I believe (please confirm this before buying) region free.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0040JHNAW/

I'm not sure if there's any particular plan at this juncture. I think a lot of us are just holding our breath that they release the whole canon before they give up on physical media.

Bii

Just signed up for DMC; missed out on Tarzan and Hercules Blu-Rays when they were available choices a week or two ago. Shouldn't have waited so long to finally dive in. I still have a ways to catch up with all of the titles missing in my Disney Blu-Ray collection.

Just a reminder that the Diamond Edition of Sleeping Beauty is out today.

Best Buy has a very nice lenticular cover, but they have very limited quantities. Mine only had about 6 of the lenticular, but 3 full trays of the normal edition.

Not my picture, but here it is:

52ffc37da7a432b2952b18a8fa8f584e.jpg

It does have the normal artwork on the case though:

d45667e54a3eb72eeccdd553d0ae4f20.jpg

MicH

Denmark just got Sleeping Beauty too, but not as a Diamond Edition :( It's just a re-relase of the old one - even has the same trailers and commercials! Disappointing

NR1

Just a reminder that the Diamond Edition of Sleeping Beauty is out today.

My underatanding is that this release is the exact same audio and video quality as the 2008 Platinum Edition release, minus some special features.

Does it have an insert that advertises the Spring 2015 Diamond Disney movie release? What is it?

My underatanding is that this release is the exact same audio and video quality as the 2008 Platinum Edition release, minus some special features.

Does it have an insert that advertises the Spring 2015 Diamond Disney movie release? What is it?

101 Dalmations

As far as this release goes, I actually think I read somewhere that it has less extra features than the Platinum version that came out some number of years ago. If you have that edition, I don't think there is any reason to upgrade unless you really want the HD digital copy.

Christopher

The ONLY reason I purchased this was for the digital copy that came with it, I love the digital ecosystem. This transfer is AMAZING if you haven't watched it, please do yourself a favor and purchase this. Truly an amazing title, worth adding to any Disney fans collection.

overcast

Need to buy 2 movies for the movie club (by spring 2016), I've already labeled Aladdin as a for sure one at some point. Any reason not to just get Sleeping Beauty (I have 6 days to decide).

Think Mononoke will be one soon?

Vyer

Was thinking of signing up for this, but neither Christmas Carol or Three Musketeers from that earlier post are available for my enrollment offer. hrmph

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Was thinking of signing up for this, but neither Christmas Carol or Three Musketeers from that earlier post are available for my enrollment offer. hrmph

You might find you have a little better luck calling in versus the web-site. Operators do make exceptions for the availability. Also remember that stuff might not be available for your enrolment offer, but are available for at least one of your two "bonus blu-rays"--so just use enrolment-eligible stuff for your 5 freebies and then for the Blu-Ray that you're "paying" for, grab one of the non-enrolment ones.

overcast

It's not super likely that Mononoke will be a featured offer--, but it is releasing on November 18th along with Kiki and The Wind Rises, so if you like Ghibli, you could probably finish out your membership buying Ghibli stuff.
Doesn't it have to be featured? Or can it be any full priced film from the store?

NR1

101 Dalmations

As far as this release goes, I actually think I read somewhere that it has less extra features than the Platinum version that came out some number of years ago. If you have that edition, I don't think there is any reason to upgrade unless you really want the HD digital copy.

Nice. I was considering importing the UK release of 101, but I will hold off now. I imported the UK release of Aladdin a few months back for $20 on Amazon and was VERY pleased with that purchase. Amazing video quality jump over the last domestic DVD release.

I already got 2 copies of Sleeping Beauty. I got one for $8 at my local Blockbuster when they closed down during clearance time. Its only a single disc release specifically for rentals use though, but it's nice to have it. The other copy is the full retail release from 2008.

Leeness

Ended my movie club account. I'll sign up again sometime, but it was pissing me off recently. The last month, it's been telling me that my address is incorrect, I've given it my address, my parents address, my old address, and they're apparently all ~wrong~ and I get emails every week about it. So...maybe it will work again when I eventually start fresh.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Doesn't it have to be featured? Or can it be any full priced film from the store?

Any "full priced" film in the store will work (I think the cutoff is 24.99 or 29.99 or higher in the US, not sure, check the small print). Note that if you order a 2-pack of movies, it will typically only count as 1 commitment title.

Christopher

Any "full priced" film in the store will work (I think the cutoff is 24.99 or 29.99 or higher in the US, not sure, check the small print). Note that if you order a 2-pack of movies, it will typically only count as 1 commitment title.

Sometimes it also counts as 2 commitment so just make sure you look out for those as well.

It looks like we have some good holiday titles left for the year:

XShagrath

Is there any difference between this sleeping beauty and the previous version?

This new one is missing a ton of the extra features. Here's a list of the stuff that's missing:

Cine-Explore In-Movie Experience: Featuring original concept art, production photos and other materials
Grand Canyon: Short film shown before Sleeping Beauty during its original theatrical release
Original Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Walkthrough Attraction
History of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough Attraction
Sequence 8: A closer look at a particularly difficult scene that was in production for 2 years
Sleeping Beauty Deleted Songs: "It Happens I Have A Picture," "Riddle Diddle," "Go To Sleep"
Sleeping Beauty Alternate Opening
Storyboard Sequences (SD): "The Fairies Put The Castle To Sleep," "The Capture Of The Prince"
Original Live-Action Reference Film Footage (SD)
The Peter Tchaikovsky Story: 49-minute dramatization
Four Artists Paint One Tree: Featuring Walt Peregoy, Josh Meador, Eyvind Earle and Marc Davis
Sleeping Beauty Art Galleries: Which featured hundreds of images
Publicity: Which housed three theatrical trailers
4 BD Games: Dragon Encounter, Maleficent's Challenge, Briar Rose's Enchanted Dance, Fun with Language
Princess Fun Facts: Trivia Track
Music Video: Once Upon a Dream
Disney Song Selection Suite
Song Lyrics Subtitle Track

Updated my inventory... getting pretty close to a full collection now. Should have everything by the end of 2015.
hxnzEPT.png

Just checked my collection.

29 out of 53 of the animated classics. Boy, the 2000s were rough...not sure most of those are worth owning (Home on the Range, Chicken Little, etc). I did miss the two Fantasias and Pinocchio Blu-Ray releases.

I do have all 14 Pixar movies.

v0yce

Can someone help me with the Disney Movie Club?

With Sleeping Beauty and the 3 Ghiblis coming in November I'd like to finally join the club but I'm not sure how it works really and what my best course of action would be as far as when to sign up and which films to pay full price for, etc.

Will the Ghibli films be part of the DMC? What about Marvel stuff? I've looked briefly, but it seems not all available titles are in the catalog or something?

I'm a bit confused.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
With Sleeping Beauty and the 3 Ghiblis coming in November I'd like to finally join the club but I'm not sure how it works really and what my best course of action would be as far as when to sign up and which films to pay full price for, etc.

You sign up with a sign-up offer, which gives you a bunch of movies for cheap. Over the course of two years, you need to buy several other films at full price (~$30) to satisfy your commitment. The current best code is 10042B, which gives you 7 films for ~$20 when you sign up and requires you to buy two more over the course of the membership, so a total of ~$80 for 9 films over the life of the membership. There are versions of that code which also include free Frozen-theme blankets, but I don't get the sense you're asking on behalf of your kids so you can just use that code.

Every month, whether you like it or not, you will be offered a Blu-ray from Disney. Sometimes these are basically full price things. Other times you can get a bit of a deal on them. These typically count for your membership commitment, and depending on how savvy you are, you can save a few more dollars here. If you do not want this Blu-ray, you MUST reject it. Doing nothing will charge your card and ship you the Blu-ray. So don't forget.

Which films you pay full price for is not really important. It makes more sense to think of your total cost amortized. You're not really getting the initial 7 films for $20, after all, that's a misleading thing that they tell you to make the deal sound better than it is. In general, you might be better off choosing 9 films whose prices outside the Disney Movie Club are relatively high--because if something was available for $10 outside the Club, it'd hardly be worth the hassle, since that's little more than what you're paying inside the club.

Will the Ghibli films be part of the DMC? What about Marvel stuff? I've looked briefly, but it seems not all available titles are in the catalog or something?

Basically everything Disney releases is available as a part of the Disney Movie Club. Some recent releases are not available as part of the initial sign-up offer. Typically this changes after anywhere from 3-6 months.

Top Bottom