• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can we get the OP updated? A lot of us use this as a quick reference on whats new and in the vault.

Speaking of...Mulan vaulted? I never did get that one and not really seeing it around.

The very top of the OP is updated as of yesterday. (The US availability image that I made)

The new releases on August 12th were Fun and Fancy Free, Ichabod and Mr. Toad, Tarzan, and Hercules of the main canon + Muppets Most Wanted and I want to say one other?

Downhome

The very top of the OP is updated as of yesterday. (The US availability image that I made)

The new releases on August 12th were Fun and Fancy Free, Ichabod and Mr. Toad, Tarzan, and Hercules of the main canon + Muppets Most Wanted and I want to say one other?

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

awesome! I was always paying attention to the bigger images that went down in a column. Thanks again!

Oozer3993

Three Musketeers.

NIGHT-

Do only certain movies get diamond status? Will more be upgraded later? Don't wanna buy some now and have to double dip again at a later time

Christopher

Only a month or so left for sleeping beauty! That means only Snow White Bambi Dalamtions Pinnochio Fantasia and 101 Dalmations to complete my digital collection.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Do only certain movies get diamond status? Will more be upgraded later? Don't wanna buy some now and have to double dip again at a later time

"Diamond" is Disney's high-end Blu-Ray line, replacing "Platinum" which was Disney's high-end DVD line. Because Platinum releases took so long to roll out, the last few Platinum also got Blu-Ray releases. The idea is that there are two Diamond releases per year, they're the "most important" classic Disney movies, they get more meticulous transfers and restorations, they have more special features, they're the ones that get vaulted, etc.

Sleeping Beauty was one of the last films to get a "Platinum" release before they switched to Diamond during the DVD->Blu-Ray handover in 2008. The only film besides Sleeping Beauty that got a Platinum release on Blu-Ray was Pinocchio in 2009.

Current Diamond Editions: Strikethrough for titles that are vaulted and not available for purchase
Snow White
Beauty and the Beast
Bambi
Lion King
Lady and the Tramp

Cinderella
Peter Pan
The Little Mermaid
The Jungle Book

Upcoming Diamond Editions:
Sleeping Beauty - Fall 2014
101 Dalmatians - ??? Spring 2015?
Aladdin - Potentially Fall 2015
Pinocchio - ??? 2015/2016?

No other titles will be added, although you may find that some older Blu-Rays do get re-releases at some point. For example, Robin Hood is a relatively minor Disney title, but it got two DVD releases, with the second one having the alternate ending and a newer transfer. You can really never know if something will be upgraded. Your best chance of guessing if something will be is if an anniversary is coming out. I suspect Frozen will get a 3D release at some point because $$$$$.

Given the free-fall in home media sales, I wouldn't place any bets on 4K or other future home media releases, personally.

NIGHT-

Ahh. Yea, I've been waiting on frozen to get the 3d treatment. I just got lion king and little mermaid. Anything else supposed to get a 3d re release?

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
After taking almost a year off from the Disney Movie Club I just dived right back in to scoop up some of the recently released titles. I just got the following for $21.xx and they should be here soon...

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad/ Fun and Fancy Free
Hercules
Mary Poppins
Mickey, Donald and Goofy: The Three Musketeers
Mickey's Christmas Carol
Muppets Most Wanted
Tarzan

I can't wait to receive this batch!

I have a quick question about the Disney Movie Club. I was thinking of joining it as I'm a bit behind on getting recent titles.

So the current deal is four movies for $1 with a commitment to buy five more titles. You can also spend $15 to get your "first movie" which takes you down to a four title commitment.

The part that's somewhat vague to me is the "second bonus movie" offer for $10. Does that also count towards your commitment purchases or would I still have to buy four movies afterwards?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have a quick question about the Disney Movie Club. I was thinking of joining it as I'm a bit behind on getting recent titles.

So the current deal is four movies for $1 with a commitment to buy five more titles. You can also spend $15 to get your "first movie" which takes you down to a four title commitment.

First, don't sign up with "the current deal". There are always better promotional codes. Try signup code 10042B (5 for $1; 1 for $11.95; you need to buy 2 more over 2 years). That's assuming you're in the US. I don't have a current Canadian promotional code.

The part that's somewhat vague to me is the "second bonus movie" offer for $10. Does that also count towards your commitment purchases or would I still have to buy four movies afterwards?

The second bonus movie doesn't count for your commitment purchases, but it still reduces your average spend per film dramatically so you'll want to do it. The aggregate cost for a US purchaser ends up $89.70+tax for 9 films, or even better if you end up getting double-packs as your commitment titles when they're offered.

Incidentally, people on blu-ray.com are saying that DMC just launched a bunch of DMC-exclusive live action Blus from some of the 60s-70s Disney stuff. I don't have an active account right now so I can't check, but if someone could pull a list of anything added, that'd be cool. Looks like it includes The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes and The Apple Dumpling Gang at least.

I had a digital HD version of the lion king off of PSN. I recently borrowed a copy of the diamond edition blu ray from a neighbor and holy balls, the picture quality and sound quality is way better. So much better it's absurd

I was this close to shelling out 60 bucks for one of the few remaining copies but my neighbor gave me his copy of it. This is the same neighbor who recently gave me his old PSP 3000 model {which was in near mint condition} and has a huge collection of blu ray movies and video games that he lets me borrow {he says he trusts me with them more than he does his friends since I take impeccable care of them}.

I think I have the best neighbor ever.

My kids somehow lost our Blu Ray Lion King disc. Still have the DVD though! *sigh*

Downhome

First, don't sign up with "the current deal". There are always better promotional codes. Try signup code 10042B (5 for $1; 1 for $11.95; you need to buy 2 more over 2 years). That's assuming you're in the US. I don't have a current Canadian promotional code.

There is also another code, 28563 , that offers the exact same promotion but this code also gives you a free Mickey Mouse blanket. I didn't realize that this other code existed when I enrolled the day before yesterday. The guys at the BD forums pointed it out to me. Well, I just decided to give them a call and ask if there was anything they could do, that I didn't realize there was a code with a free blanket. They instantly, without me even needing to ask them to do it or even hint at it, they made a new order for me for the blanket alone, shipped totally free. It's already showing up on my account order history.

The DMC has some of the best customer service ever. They sometimes bend over backwards for you, it's incredible. I have nothing but good things to say about the way they handle things like this.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
No, only Disney / Buena Vista titles.

(I actually just remembered that Disney doesn't own Miramax anymore)

I guess what I'm asking is: do you think The Wind Rises and Princess Mononoke will be available through DMC? The Wind Rises was released theatrically under Disney's Touchstone label and when Princess Mononoke was released by Disney, it was as a Miramax title.

Downhome

(I actually just remembered that Disney doesn't own Miramax anymore)

I guess what I'm asking is: do you think The Wind Rises and Princess Mononoke will be available through DMC? The Wind Rises was released theatrically under Disney's Touchstone label and when Princess Mononoke was released by Disney, it was as a Miramax title.

Yes, it absolutely will be available through the club. The DVD of Princess Mononoke is still listed on their site already.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lame.. It says some movies are for members only :(

Wanted Hercules

If you call you'll be able to use the "Members Only" titles for your bonus titles, and if you're really sneaky and know the SKU you might be able to call and talk them into adding it to your enrolment order. I wouldn't push your luck or abuse the system too much.

And, like, even if you use it as one of your commitment titles, it doesn't make sense to pretend that the first 5 titles are actually 20 cent each and the commitment titles are actually $35 each; amortize the entire cost of your DMC commitment over all titles and you'll still be getting Hercules for less than $10 :)

Downhome

What are "Members Only" titles?

It's titles that you technically aren't supposed to be able to select as your enrollment titles. If you call in and give the item numbers though you can usually get them to accept them over the phone. You can't do it on the website though.

There used to be a trick to do it all online without ever having to call them, but they put an end to that a while back.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's titles that you technically aren't supposed to be able to select as your enrollment titles. If you call in and give the item numbers though you can usually get them to accept them over the phone. You can't do it on the website though.

There used to be a trick to do it all online without ever having to call them, but they put an end to that a while back.

You can't select them as your enrollment titles, but you can still get them towards your commitment, right?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
16giFuQ.jpg

Princess Mononoke's box art is awful.

entremet

Tarzan and Herc are out?!

I watched both so much when they were on DVD. Must cop fast due to the stupid vault.

I'm not going for a full collection. Just my favs. Disney is really dragging on Aladdin. That's my favorite.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I thought all Disney stuff was vaulted? This is so confusing. Disney is really dumb with this vault crap. Snow White, Lion King, Beauty and Beast, Little Mermaid should always be in print. They're classics.

I explained which titles are subject to the vault a little further up this page.

Edit: well, last page now that we're on a new page.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't understand, the Black Cauldron has a cover but no blu?

The Black Cauldron received a cover earlier this year but has not yet been released on Blu-Ray. I suspect they were considering a release this year but deferred it. It is the only non-package non-Diamond Edition film remaining of the Disney canon.

Christopher

Let me tell you surround sound makes the movies ten tomes better my god I love the ambiance feeling in mermaid.

Also can you believe its almost time for Sleeping Beauty's release and we still have no idea what our 2015 diamonds are? Crazy.

Robin Willis death will definitely at least put Aladdin on the map in the near future...because rumors were saying Pinmochio and Fantasia/Dalmations was our next one...

Cheska

I have a question about the DMC, does everyone get the same Featured Title or does it vary from person to person?

EDIT: Do you not benefit from the "members only" prices until you fulfill your full priced title amounts?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have a question about the DMC, does everyone get the same Featured Title or does it vary from person to person?

EDIT: Do you not benefit from the "members only" prices until you fulfill your full priced title amounts?

Featured Titles have historically been the same but there's nothing guaranteeing they will be.

Members Only just means you can't get the Blu-Ray as a sign-up title. Once you're a member, you're a member. Anything that requires you to fulfill your full membership, and I don't think there's ever been anything like that, says "VIP". I think the only stuff that's been VIP only has been slightly different coupons/discounts for general orders + ability to order pins or some stuff like that.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Well, thanks to you lot, I joined the DMC. My first batch arrived today.

JJqbWRA.jpg

They all had slipcases except for Jungle Book. Fortunately, I don't give a hoot about those, so I'm not concerned.

Top Bottom