• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Christopher

August:

61VS6AHoRdL._AA160_.jpg
61K7pqdJFLL._AA160_.jpg
61YQKmUJEoL._AA160_.jpg
61mF0jR4ESL._AA160_.jpg
61adKNNvJPL._AA160_.jpg
51C9UVLCkYL._AA160_.jpg
51n0ogqIbXL._AA160_.jpg

Upcoming this year:

513m2uEb0mL._AA160_.jpg
41mHIt2RprL._AA160_.jpg
41yIdXHShzL._AA160_.jpg
sleepingbeautydiamondeditionblu.jpg

Completely forgot I'd ordered this, came home to a giant bag on my doorstep. Ripped it open to find all my lovely BluRays inside!

I've seen it mentioned in the past, but, is there a way to get missing slip covers? Jungle Book and Sword in the Stone didn't come with any. I don't know if I've actually EVER seen a slip cover for SitS, but Jungle Book? Come on, Disney.

As they note in the sign-up, it's 13 a year (one every four weeks); they also typically send you a physical mailer along with the email reminder. But even if you get charged for it, you can still return the product and get a refund. Of course, if you've completed your commitment, there's no reason not to cancel. If you don't want to be a member, you'll have one fewer thing to decline every month, and if you do want to be a member, there's no reason not to take advantage of the signup again instead of floating by as a member.

How do I cancel? I completed my commitment like two years ago and still deny every month.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No idea why this is a thing, but there's going to be a triple-pack blu-ray of Oliver & Co, Fox and the Hound, and Fox and the Hound II releasing this summer (07/22)

xvbY4sg.jpg

zeemumu

I guess I've put off converting my collection long enough. When I was little is used to do the whole masterpiece collection thing with my VHS tapes, and I still have a working VCR, but I guess it's time to start transferring those to a different format, although I'm late on a lot of the vault releases. This seems like a good thread to start.

Oozer3993

I didn't see it mentioned, but here are the new special features on the Sleeping Beauty Diamond Edition:

New Supplemental Content

Once Upon A Parade, Starring Sarah Hyland - Behind every attraction, event and parade at the Magic Kingdom is a unique story. Join Sarah Hyland from ABC's Modern Family as she tells us the tale of Walt Disney World's new Festival Of Fantasy Parade. This magical "in world" short film goes behind the scenes of the new parade and shows how the residents and characters of Fantasyland created this parade to tell their stories.

Art of Evil: Generations Of Disney Villains – This legacy piece spotlights Disney's favorite villain animator, Marc Davis and his infamous creations of characters such as Maleficent and Cruella. Throughout the piece, we will talk to modern day animators like Andreas Deja and others as to how Marc's designs and characters influenced what they do today.

DisneyAnimation: Artists in Motion, Extended Edition - Join Walt Disney Animation Visual Development artist Brittney Lee as she goes through the process of creating a three dimensional sculpture of Maleficent, completely out of paper. In this extended edition, go deeper into Britney's process.

Beauty-Oke: "Once Upon A Dream" - Sing along to this kinetic text video of Aurora's signature song.

New, Never Before Seen Deleted Scenes

The Fair (with Deleted Character, The Vulture) – In this version of the story, the fairies do not take the Princess to live with them in the forest. Convinced that King Stefan's order to burn all the spinning wheels in the kingdom will not prevent Maleficent's curse, the good fairies put a magic circle around the castle and cast a spell: "No evil thing that walks or flies or creeps or crawls can ever pass these castle walls."

The Curse is Fulfilled - The three good fairies have just returned Aurora to the castle and give her a crown. They leave the room to give Aurora some time alone…but Maleficent pays her a visit.

Arrival Of Maleficent (Alternate) – Maleficent arrives uninvited to the christening of the Princess Aurora.

And then there's the material from the Platinum Edition that will be included:

Classic DVD Bonus Features

The Sound Of Beauty: Restoring A Classic - This featurette covers the creation of the 7.1 mix of the score of Sleeping Beauty that was done for Blu-ray, using the source tapes from the original recording sessions resulting in an audio experience of superior quality with greater detail and fidelity that you have ever heard before.

Picture Perfect: The Making Of Sleeping Beauty - Discover the behind-the-scenes magic that transformed a beloved fairy tale into a cinematic work of art. Legendary Animators, actors and film historians reveal the secrets behind Disney's masterpiece.

Eyvind Earle: A Man And His Art - Early in his career, renowned American Artist Eyvind Earle worked as a background painter at the Walt Disney Studio. Walt Disney liked his work so much that he entrusted him with the assignment to be the Art Director for Sleeping Beauty. This was the first time that one artist was given the responsibility for the entire look on one of Disney's animated features. This piece follows Earle's development as an artist and his years at the Studio.

Audio Commentary with John Lasseter, Andreas Deja and Leonard Maltin

And More...

Interesting that the excellent Cine-Explore is not mentioned as being included, nor is the Grand Canyon short or the other deleted scenes. The "Art of Evil" and the new deleted scenes will probably be enough to get me to double dip though. I'm such a sucker for this movie.

Also, there's a trailer for the new release.

The UK version of Sleeping Beauty has the same cover art but it doesn't say that it is a Diamond Edition anywhere.

819Tyfa8EfL._SL1500_.jpg

I also found these on Amazon UK. They're slipcovers that feature the villains of the respective film. The actual case contains the normal cover.

Magnus

What's the optimal thing for me to do with my original Sleeping Beauty bluray release? Should I attempt to off-load it now before the new one is released?

Futureman

how is there no Aladdin Blu?!?!

I just watched some of Hercules last night and I though I did not finish it yet, I think it might be one of the more average Disney Animation films. Hades is a great character but I wasn't really digging much else.

Also watched "Stitch," "Atlantis," and "New Groove" recently and really enjoyed those.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What's the optimal thing for me to do with my original Sleeping Beauty bluray release? Should I attempt to off-load it now before the new one is released?

If your intent is trying to profit off of it, I think you've probably missed the best opportunity to do so given that the fall release is pretty widely known. But yes, I'd sell earlier rather than later.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'd be interested in seeing how the Ichabod / Fun and Fancy Free transfers worked out. I think the iTunes HD versions are considered half-decent, but that's true of SATS as well and the Blu ended up terrible.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
AHAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously, Disney.

The number of people who care about Blu-ray releases in Fall 2015 is going to be miniscule.

Yeah, all those pre-teens will demand no less than pristine 4K transfers by then. :eyeroll:

Blu-Ray will remain a viable format for many years to come.

XShagrath

Yeah, all those pre-teens will demand no less than pristine 4K transfers by then. :eyeroll:

Blu-Ray will remain a viable format for many years to come.

I think he was more alluding to streaming being the go-to format by next year, which I also find laughable.

Magnus

http://runt-of-the-web.com/disney-m...tm_medium=fijifrost&utm_campaign=CMfacebook#1

Relevant to this thread's interests. Courtesy, George Takei.

If your intent is trying to profit off of it, I think you've probably missed the best opportunity to do so given that the fall release is pretty widely known. But yes, I'd sell earlier rather than later.

Gotcha. Thanks Stump. Better offload my copy of Herc on DVD too for the $1 I'll get for it, since that BR is around the corner! lol

TEJ

I had a digital HD version of the lion king off of PSN. I recently borrowed a copy of the diamond edition blu ray from a neighbor and holy balls, the picture quality and sound quality is way better. So much better it's absurd

I was this close to shelling out 60 bucks for one of the few remaining copies but my neighbor gave me his copy of it. This is the same neighbor who recently gave me his old PSP 3000 model {which was in near mint condition} and has a huge collection of blu ray movies and video games that he lets me borrow {he says he trusts me with them more than he does his friends since I take impeccable care of them}.

I think I have the best neighbor ever.

Christopher

I had a digital HD version of the lion king off of PSN. I recently borrowed a copy of the diamond edition blu ray from a neighbor and holy balls, the picture quality and sound quality is way better. So much better it's absurd

I was this close to shelling out 60 bucks for one of the few remaining copies but my neighbor gave me his copy of it. This is the same neighbor who recently gave me his old PSP 3000 model {which was in near mint condition} and has a huge collection of blu ray movies and video games that he lets me borrow {he says he trusts me with them more than he does his friends since I take impeccable care of them}.

I think I have the best neighbor ever.

I dunno my iTunes Lion King is pretty sharp looking

Downhome

After taking almost a year off from the Disney Movie Club I just dived right back in to scoop up some of the recently released titles. I just got the following for $21.xx and they should be here soon...

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad/ Fun and Fancy Free
Hercules
Mary Poppins
Mickey, Donald and Goofy: The Three Musketeers
Mickey's Christmas Carol
Muppets Most Wanted
Tarzan

I can't wait to receive this batch!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
After taking almost a year off from the Disney Movie Club I just dived right back in to scoop up some of the recently released titles. I just got the following for $21.xx and they should be here soon...

Hercules
Mary Poppins
Mickey's Christmas Carol
Muppets Most Wanted
Tarzan

I can't wait to receive this batch!

You've got to be pretty close to done. My partner and I are going to do an ordering batch in September/October and after that membership commitment we'll be done the whole mainline Disney animated classics.

Downhome

You've got to be pretty close to done. My partner and I are going to do an ordering batch in September/October and after that membership commitment we'll be done the whole mainline Disney animated classics.

Here is every Disney distributed totally animated flick I have in my collection, including the ones I picked up as my enrollment titles earlier today (if a 3D version exists, that's the one I own)...

Alice in Wonderland
The Aristocats
Atlantis: The Lost Empire / Atlantas: Milo's Return
Bambi
Beauty and the Beast
Bolt
Brave
Brother Bear / Brother Bear 2
A Bug's Life
Cars
Cars 2
Castle in the Sky
Chicken Little
Cinderella
Dinosaur
Dumbo
The Emperor's New Groove / Kronk's New Groove
Fantasia / Fantasia 2000
Finding Nemo
The Fox and the Hound / The Fox and the Hound II
Frankenweenie
Frozen
The Great Mouse Detective
Hercules
Howl's Moving Castle
The hunchback of Notre Dame / The Hunchback of Notre Dame II
The Incredibles
James and the Giant Peach
The Jungle Book
Lady and the Tramp
Lilo & Stitch / Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch
The Lion King
The Little Mermaid
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Meet the Robinsons
Mickey's Christmas Carol
Monsters University
Monsters, Inc.
Mulan / Mulan II
My Neighbor Totoro
Nausicaa fo the Valley of the Wind
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Oliver & Company
Peter Pan
Peter Pan: Return to Never Land
Pinocchio
Pixar Shorts Films Collection: Vol. 1
Pixar Shorts Films Collection: Vol. 2
Ponyo
The Princess and the Frog
Ratatouille
The Rescuers / The Rescuers Down Under
Robin Hood
The Secret World of Arrietty
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
The Sword in the Stone
Tangled
Tarzan
The Tigger Movie
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Treasure Planet
Up
WALL-E
Whisper of the Heart
Winnie the Pooh
Wreck-It Ralph

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sweet collection, dude. You're definitely few ahead of me and Ponyo is the only Ghibli Blu I bought.

I think the only ones I have that you don't:
Enchanted
Home on the Range (terrible)
The Lion King <-- you miss the vault timing?!
Marry Poppins
Pocahontas
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (not technically Disney)

Downhome

Sweet collection, dude. You're definitely few ahead of me and Ponyo is the only Ghibli Blu I bought.

I think the only ones I have that you don't:
Enchanted
Home on the Range (terrible)
The Lion King <-- you miss the vault timing?!
Marry Poppins
Pocahontas
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (not technically Disney)

Thanks. Oh, and wow, I totally overlooked The Lion King. I absolutely have it, I never let something go into the vault without buying it. You posting that made me realize I didn't have it added to my Blu-ray.com collection. When I sold the standard release and removed it from my collection I must have forgotten to add back in the 3D one! Thanks for pointing that one out to me.

I have Enchanted, Marry Poppins, and Roger Rabbit and stuff like that as well. I was just counting the 100% animated stuff.

On the above list, if a 3D version exists, that's the one I own.

Can we get the OP updated? A lot of us use this as a quick reference on whats new and in the vault.

Speaking of...Mulan vaulted? I never did get that one and not really seeing it around.

Top Bottom