• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

markatisu

see5harp said:
I can't believe how many people are buying 3D versions of Tron Legacy. It wasn't even close to being a great movie in 2D much less 3D.

It is $5 more expensive and most of us got $13 off so why not?

My Disney movie collection:

Alice in Wonderland (Animated),
Alice in Wonderland (Live Action),
Bambi,
Beauty and the Beast,
Bedtime Stories,
Bolt,
A Bug's Life,
Cars,
A Christmas Carol,
Fantasia/Fantasia 2000,
Meet the Robinsons,
Monster's Inc.,
Nightmare Before Christmas,
Pinocchio,
Pirates of the Caribbean 1,
Pirates of the Caribbean 2,
Pirates of the Caribbean 3,
Pixar Shorts vol. 1,
Ratatouille,
Sleeping Beauty,
Snow White,
Tangled,
Toy Story 1,
Toy Story 2,
Toy Story 3,
Up,
Wall-E,
Disney World of Wonder.

The notable missing movies are Princess and the Frog, Chicken Little, and Dinosaur. Not sure if I want to double dip on Cars, but I would like to have all my Disney movies come with a DVD if possible.

see5harp

markatisu said:
It is $5 more expensive and most of us got $13 off so why not?

I suppose if I enjoyed Tron Legacy enough to buy, I'd go ahead and get the 3D version for the digital copy disc.

Gameboy415

Scored Tron & Tron Legacy 3D for $28 at Target with the two coupons today! :D

I wish I knew about the bunny munny coupon when Tangled came out... :S

Assuming The Incredibles Blu-Ray is going to be $24.99 next week, I'm going to try to use the Bunny Munny (Target) coupon and the Disney Coupon and get it for $9.99!

isny

napkin dispenser
Gameboy415 said:
Scored Tron & Tron Legacy 3D for $28 at Target with the two coupons today! :D

I wish I knew about the bunny munny coupon when Tangled came out... :S

Assuming The Incredibles Blu-Ray is going to be $24.99 next week, I'm going to try to use the Bunny Munny (Target) coupon and the Disney Coupon and get it for $9.99!

See my post. It's $29.99. Cars however is $24.99.

FOOTE

VitaminApple said:
Dumbo? What? How?
From Mexico. Paid $35 for it. Funny thing about it is that I bought it directly from amazon. I really don't know if they are still listed there, but I doubt it.

Edit- it is on there, but only from 3rd party sellers.

linkboy

FOOTE said:
From Mexico. Paid $35 for it. Funny thing about it is that I bought it directly from amazon. I really don't know if they are still listed there, but I doubt it.

I got it from Ebay for about $24. I just looked and didn't see any listed.

VitaminApple, if you do decide to get it, make sure its the Mexican copy of the film. Its out in the UK, but that's region 2 and won't play in US Blu-Ray players. The Mexican copy of the film is region 1 and will more then likely be the exact same disc that the US gets when the film comes out.

As for my collection, its pretty good

DVD
Aladdin
The Aristocats
The Black Cauldron
Brother Bear
Brother Bear 2
The Fox and the Hound
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Lady and the Tramp
The Lion King 1/2
The Lion King
The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride
(3 box Lion King set bought at a Pawn Shop for $15)
The Little Mermaid
Robin Hood
The Sword & the Stone
Tarzan

Blu-Ray
Alice in Wonderland
Bambi
Beauty and the Beast
Bolt
Dumbo
Meet the Robinson's
Pinocchio
The Princess and the Frog
Ratatouille
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White
Tangled
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Up
Wall-E

I'm buying the Disney films right when they come out. My son is going to have a huge collection of Disney films to watch when he gets older (he's only 3 months now).

isny

napkin dispenser
Oozer3993 said:
Some one over at CAG said that Best Buy will have the Incredibles for $24.99 so it might be possible to price match.

That's odd, it is listed listed at $24.99. I can't believe retailers here in Canada are trying to charge $34.99 for it. At least I can PM for $29.99 with a local retailer /sigh

I'll update my post.

Leeness

BertramCooper said:
I think the Kingdom Dance sequence will end up being a legendary piece of animation. As will the lantern scene.

Joining in on the love for this sequence! I adore it, and the whole movie.

My sister pointed out an amazing looking background character (we love to look for hilarious frames/background characters in animated movies) and now I can't help but look for her sometimes, haha.

1:25 in the video, the ugly looking little girl on the right, haha. See how many times she pops up in the sequence!

isny said:
I can't believe retailers here in Canada are trying to charge $34.99 for it.

Nooooo. I'm hoping it will be one of those ~special Tuesday~ releases, at the very least. :(

isny

napkin dispenser
Leeness said:
Joining in on the love for this sequence! I adore it, and the whole movie.

My sister pointed out an amazing looking background character (we love to look for hilarious frames/background characters in animated movies) and now I can't help but look for her sometimes, haha.

1:25 in the video, the ugly looking little girl on the right, haha. See how many times she pops up in the sequence!

Nooooo. I'm hoping it will be one of those ~special Tuesday~ releases, at the very least. :(

It will be...for $29.99. (Luckily I have a lot of credit at Future Shop so I'll just price match it with Rogers)

Morn

Banned
My collection:

Everything except Oliver & Company and Sword in the Stone.

Most prized: Duck Tales the Movie and the Disneyland USA treasure that has the entire opening day broadcast.

Leeness

isny said:
It will be...for $29.99. (Luckily I have a lot of credit at Future Shop so I'll just price match it with Rogers)

Oh good. I have the coupon, too. So we're at least not paying something outrageous.

isny

napkin dispenser
The Broken Ska Record said:
I ordered the Ducktales movie from Disney Movie Rewards last month, but I've yet to get it. :(

If you haven't gotten an OOS message from them, I'd suggest calling them. Their number can be found on their site.

Oozer3993

BertramCooper said:
I'm enjoying the Tangled love. It absolutely deserves every ounce of praise it gets.

I think the Kingdom Dance sequence will end up being a legendary piece of animation. As will the lantern scene.

I'm right with you. That whole sequence, from the Kingdom Dance to the lantern scene, is amazing. I could watch it over and over.

On a related note, the soundtrack for Tangled is on sale in the Amazon MP3 store for only $5. And Amazon currently has a deal going where you get bumped up to the 20GB tier of their Cloud Music service for free when you buy an album through their MP3 store.

Vyer

Really enjoyed Tangled. The lantern scene is probably my favorite. But overall an entertaining movie.

And holy hell am I constantly impressed with Disney blu rays. Just got done watching TRON. Looked outstanding.

Since we're posting our Blu-Ray collection here is mine:

A Bug's Life
Alice in Wonderland [2010]
Beauty and the Beast
Bolt
Bridge to Terabithia
Cars
Chicken Little
Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Dan in Real Life
Dinosaur
Enchanted
Invincible
James and the Giant Peach
Knowing
Meet the Robinsons
Monsters Inc.
National Treasure
National Treasure: Book of Secrets
No Country For Old Men
Pearl Harbor
Pinocchio
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Pixar Short Films
Ponyo
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Ratatouille
Remember the Titans
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Tangled
The Greatest Game Ever Played
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Rookie
The Wild
Tinker Bell
Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Tron
Tron Legacy
Up!
Wall·E

To Buy List:

Alice in Wonderland (1959)
Bambi
Dumbo
Fantasia / Fantasia 2000
Nausicaa
Tales from the Earthsea
The Incredibles

Anything else I'm missing that's note worthy?

oh man, that little clip's got me very excited for the film. can't wait until it's out in the uk.
my blu-ray collection was only going to be the disney classics but now that i'm up to date with those (bar beauty & the beast), i think i'll start getting the pixar films too.

Finally picked up Tangled yesterday with the 3d blu-ray. Fantastic movie.

Haven't watched in 3d yet, waiting on my 3d glasses I ordered to come so I can watch it in 3d.

Tangled is one of the few films in my collection that I could see benefiting from 3D.

Also, I plan on purchasing only the Disney classics or movies of notable quality.

Classic Disney:

Snow White
Pinocchio
Fantasia / Fantasia 2000
Bambi
Alice in Wonderland
Sleeping Beauty
Beauty and the Beast
Tangled

Pixar:

Toy Story
A Bug's Life
Toy Story 2
Monsters, Inc.
The Incredibles
Cars
Ratatouille
Wall-E
Up
Toy Story 3

Ghibli:

Nausicaa
Ponyo

Le-mo

I'm putting a hold on buying blu-rays since I currently have around 30+ movies out on loan and I want to get them all back before buying anymore movies. I don't want to have any more movies out on loan. But damn, I miss buying Disney's classic.

Oozer3993

My copy of Sleeping Beauty arrived from Newegg today. It's odd that the bonus DVD comes in a separate cardboard sleeve. Can't wait to watch it tonight. The screen shots I've seen are eye-popping.

bloodforge said:
Finally picked up Tangled yesterday with the 3d blu-ray. Fantastic movie.

Haven't watched in 3d yet, waiting on my 3d glasses I ordered to come so I can watch it in 3d.
The 3d is good. Not overdone. The lights scene is something else.

I saw this again with my daughter and I have to say that part when the king and queen walk out to start the lights is gut wrenching. The only scene more emotional is the scene where they find out Rapunzel is alive and start running. It was not difficult to put myself in their shoes. Much more powerful as a new parent.

StuBurns

Banned
I know it's stupid to analysis a film like that, but I wondered how Rapunzel proved she was their daughter. I also don't get why the mom kept her name and birthday as it was, seems moronic.

FOOTE

Le-mo said:
I'm putting a hold on buying blu-rays since I currently have around 30+ movies out on loan and I want to get them all back before buying anymore movies. I don't want to have any more movies out on loan. But damn, I miss buying Disney's classic.
I hope you've purchased the films that to going back into the vault at the end on the month.

StuBurns said:
I know it's stupid to analysis a film like that, but I wondered how Rapunzel proved she was their daughter. I also don't get why the mom kept her name and birthday as it was, seems moronic.
I don't think it's ever said that the king and queen named her Rapunzel.

In the prologue, Flynn just says, "I'll give you a hint - that's Rapunzel." And she's always referred to as the "lost princess" by people in the kingdom, and never Rapunzel.

I think Rapunzel is the name Mother Gothel gave her, not the king and queen.

StuBurns

Banned
BertramCooper said:
I don't think it's ever said that the king and queen named her Rapunzel.

In the prologue, Flynn just says, "I'll give you a hint - that's Rapunzel." And she's always referred to as the "lost princess" by people in the kingdom, and never Rapunzel.

I think Rapunzel is the name Mother Gothel gave her, not the king and queen.
Good point, they don't outright say her name is Rapunzel, but her birthday is certainly unchanged. I feel like a scene is missing where they identify her, at the end a servant walks in and gives the parents and nod of affirmation before they come out and see her.

About this 'Vault' thing, what is that about? How long do I have to buy Tangled before it disappears?

StuBurns said:
Good point, they don't outright say her name is Rapunzel, but her birthday is certainly unchanged. I feel like a scene is missing where they identify her, at the end a servant walks in and gives the parents and nod of affirmation before they come out and see her.
Yeah, the birthday thing occurred to me as well. Gothel is exceptionally arrogant and only seemed vaguely aware that Rapunzel was making a connection between the lanterns and her birthday. She seemed very convinced that Rapunzel was completely in the dark about pretty much everything. So I guess she was just being really careless.

About this 'Vault' thing, what is that about? How long do I have to buy Tangled before it disappears?
It's Disney's policy of taking their most popular movies out of print for a long period of time before re-releasing them. Don't worry about Tangled - it's not going to be vaulted any time soon. It mainly applies to the Disney animated films that are more than a decade old.

StuBurns

Banned
BertramCooper said:
Yeah, the birthday thing occurred to me as well. Gothel is exceptionally arrogant and only seemed vaguely aware that Rapunzel was making a connection between the lanterns and her birthday. She seemed very convinced that Rapunzel was completely in the dark about pretty much everything. So I guess she was just being really careless.
Good point, from the tower it's apparently too far to see what they really are, she could have just assumed Rapunzel would never care enough to wonder what they are.
BertramCooper said:
It's Disney's policy of taking their most popular movies out of print for a long period of time before re-releasing them. Don't worry about Tangled - it's not going to be vaulted any time soon. It mainly applies to the Disney animated films that are more than a decade old.
This seems really bizarre to me, although I guess it makes the releases more notable. I imagine I'll end up buying Tangled day one anyone, in the UK it's the same release date as Black Swan so I was thinking of leaving it a few months, but I'm actually less keen to see Black Swan again.

FlightOfHeaven said:
i9xNq.png

whoa, Incredibles out next week? I must buy it!

Llyranor

Is Cars that bad? I keep hearing bad things about it, but with the sequel coming out, I'm wondering whether I should give it a view.

Llyranor said:
Is Cars that bad? I keep hearing bad things about it, but with the sequel coming out, I'm wondering whether I should give it a view.
i thought it was ok, not the best pixar movie ,but not the worst it was just ok IMO.

Ratrat

Llyranor said:
Its actually pretty enjoyable. Better than most of Dreamworks' output. Just keep your expectations low.

Llyranor said:

My problem is it's a complete rip off of a movie called Doc Hollywood starring Michael J Fox. It's got some visually nice scenes in there though so I also use it as a way to show off the TV or HD to someone.

Llyranor said:
By no means is Cars bad. By any normal standards, it's a solid film.

But it's probably Pixar's weakest film. Well, perhaps second weakest. I've never been a fan of A Bug's Life.

isny

napkin dispenser
Cars 2 looks a lot more enjoyable than the first one. I've only been able to watch Cars twice. (Once, and then once with John's commentary/Cine-Explorer)

If you have yet to watch Cars, I'd suggest the best way to watch it the first time would be with Cine-Explorer, as it's a very well put together making of/commentary that plays over the movie. (It's better than the movie actually, lol)

Llyranor said:
Cars is great. Cool characters. Sadly, the voices of two of them are now dead (George Carlin and Paul Newman).

Anyone have the UPC for the incredibles handy? The $10 coupon is now up.

Fake edit: here it is: 786936244250

Real Edit: I guess I'm behind on things.

Complaint . . . why isn't The Incredibles in 3D? I'd like all the future Pixar releases to be released in 3D. I guess they found a way to double dip with Blu-Rays.

Oozer3993

Amazon currently has a deal going on select Disney Blu-Rays: buy 3, get $20 off your order. The selection includes all three movies that are going back into the vault on April 30th (Pinocchio, Snow White, and Fantasia/Fantasia 2000).

Also, it may have been mentioned in the thread before, but Beauty and the Beast is being given a 3D Blu-ray treatment this fall, as is The Lion King.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
speculawyer said:
Anyone have the UPC for the incredibles handy? The $10 coupon is now up.

Fake edit: here it is: 786936244250

Real Edit: I guess I'm behind on things.

Complaint . . . why isn't The Incredibles in 3D? I'd like all the future Pixar releases to be released in 3D. I guess they found a way to double dip with Blu-Rays.

Or double dip with theater re-releases. The only Pixar movies that have been upgraded to 3D were Toy Story 1 and 2

Do 3D blu-rays usually also include have a 2D version of the film? Or do you need to buy two separate editions if you want both?

Edit: How can they make Beauty and the Beast 3D when it's not a CG film to begin with? I know it had a ton of CG in it, but surely some of it was traditional animation?

Cars is arguably the weakest Pixar film, but you can still tell that there's some real emotion behind it. It crosses over into cheesy at points, but the yearning for times past still shines through, and puts it above the majority of non-Pixar releases.

Considering how much of a bad rep it gets, I don't see how anybody who sees it now could dislike it, seeing how expectations must be set really low.

Llyranor said:

car was like lame cartoon network barbie movie. It was very generic and bad. Only fanboys would say it was ok.

Top Bottom