• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

StuBurns

Banned
Naked Snake said:
Do 3D blu-rays usually also include have a 2D version of the film? Or do you need to buy two separate editions if you want both?
Typically they have both. I seem to remember some BluRay rule that they must, but I could be mistaken, and I don't think they all do, I always read it as the 3D disc itself has to display in 2D but I don't think that's true.

Dead

well not really...yet
Upcoming Pixar Combo releases with new covers (cept TS3):

CmfpD.jpg

jEbYb.jpg

7At4r.jpg

ZDlrh.jpg

NR1

isny said:
I was right about the upgrade coupons. (Coupons are now live)

Incredibles $10 Upgrade Coupon

Cars $8 Upgrade Coupon

The Incredibles DVD: 786936244250
Cars Blu Ray Single Disc: 786936734041

Most stores will be selling The Incredibles at $29.99 and Cars for $24.99 for Blu Ray Combo Packs (Blu+ DVD). There is only one SKU of both of these being released on Tuesday (April 12th). Best Buy in the U.S. has both available for $24.99.

Some stores have a promotion running where if you buy both, you get $10 off. Therefore the cheapest you could conceivably get these two for would be $22 plus taxes total for both. (Plus any other coupons like the Target Bunny Munny, etc.)

I just wanted to bring this post back up to the front since these are going to be released in 2 days.

Best Buy has both for $24.99 each, and if you buy both, then they will take off $10. If you use the coupons listed above from Disney, you can get both for $21.98-- which is essentially you getting one for free.

Not a bad deal...

Cars was so bad I couldn't even watch it. I tried forcing myself to sit through it twice but always ended up turning it off in disgust 15 to 20 minutes in.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Llyranor said:
Is Cars that bad? I keep hearing bad things about it, but with the sequel coming out, I'm wondering whether I should give it a view.
I don't think so, but I also thought Up was the most boring Pixar movie of all time.

also, not bluray related, anyone know where I can find Lion King 1 1/2 on DVD new? Or even a legal way to buy a digital version. Or something! That movie and the Duck Tales movie are such a pain to find. I've been saving my reward points to get Duck Tales from them.

StuBurns

Banned
zoner said:
I don't think so, but I also thought Up was the most boring Pixar movie of all time.
It is, the opening is amazing then it's pretty lame.

I think A Bug's Life is still the weakest though, even Antz was better.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wall-E and The Incredible (and maybe Finding Nemo, need to rewatch it) are kind of the only Pixar movies I care about.

I should probably watch TS3, but I still havent watched TS2

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dead said:
Wall-E and The Incredible (and maybe Finding Nemo, need to rewatch it) are kind of the only Pixar movies I care about.

I should probably watch TS3, but I still havent watched TS2
TS1 is my favorite movie of all time, but the only real highlight of TS2 is within a few minutes of each other; the highway scene, al's toy barn, and woody being cleaned up

linkboy

zoner said:

also, not bluray related, anyone know where I can find Lion King 1 1/2 on DVD new? Or even a legal way to buy a digital version. Or something! That movie and the Duck Tales movie are such a pain to find. I've been saving my reward points to get Duck Tales from them.

Amazon has a bunch listed new for around $30.

Naked Snake said:
Do 3D blu-rays usually also include have a 2D version of the film? Or do you need to buy two separate editions if you want both?

Edit: How can they make Beauty and the Beast 3D when it's not a CG film to begin with? I know it had a ton of CG in it, but surely some of it was traditional animation?
They remastered beauty and the beast in 3d and released it theatrically last year. The non special edition

Wario64 said:
Or double dip with theater re-releases. The only Pixar movies that have been upgraded to 3D were Toy Story 1 and 2
Ah . . . so now I'm going to eventually buy those? :-/

I've already blown money on The Ultimate Toy Box and the TS 1 to 3 Blu-Rays.

Dead

well not really...yet
speculawyer said:
Ah . . . so now I'm going to eventually buy those? :-/

Im so sorry

I saw pics of that set and was flabbergasted at how cheap it was. Discs in foam? smh.

Dead said:
Im so sorry

I saw pics of that set and was flabbergasted at how cheap it was. Discs in foam? smh.
No, I don't have whatever that is. It is just a 3 DVD set of TS 1 & 2 with an extra features disc. Very nice at the time.

zychi

Banned
NR1 said:
I just wanted to bring this post back up to the front since these are going to be released in 2 days.

Best Buy has both for $24.99 each, and if you buy both, then they will take off $10. If you use the coupons listed above from Disney, you can get both for $21.98-- which is essentially you getting one for free.

Not a bad deal...
I figure I'll ask anyway, do these coupons work on Amazon? My Incredibles BR has already shipped and if I have to I'll go to Best Buy and use the coupon

speculawyer said:
Do you mean the new one or the old DVD set? Cause the DVD Ultimate Toy Box was an amazing set.

Edit: Oh, you already answered. Yeah, the Ultimate Toy Box is awesome. It was actually going for $150+ on eBay at one point.

FOOTE

I'm watching Tangled with my kid sister right now (she's 9). I think Maximus is her favorite character(he's mine for sure) besides Rapunzel of course.

Morn

Banned
Dead said:
Im so sorry

As others have said, he's talking about the Ultimate Toy Box DVD set which at the time was one of the best DVD releases ever done.

There are STILL extras on that set that aren't on ANY of the Toy Story Blu-Rays.

717951005816.jpg

Dead said:
Upcoming Pixar Combo releases with new covers (cept TS3):

CmfpD.jpg

jEbYb.jpg

7At4r.jpg
Ugh, I hate this whole sidebar formatting. I don't understand it at all.

It sort of works with WALL-E, but for Ratatouille and Up, they just stuck in a gigantic blue box. WTF, Disney?

isny

napkin dispenser
zychi said:
I figure I'll ask anyway, do these coupons work on Amazon? My Incredibles BR has already shipped and if I have to I'll go to Best Buy and use the coupon

Please read through the thread before asking these questions =)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26979580&postcount=781

BertramCooper said:
Ugh, I hate this whole sidebar formatting. I don't understand it at all.

It sort of works with WALL-E, but for Ratatouille and Up, they just stuck in a gigantic blue box. WTF, Disney?

It would make sense if they only did this with re-issued Blu-Rays, but the fact that The Incredibles and Toy Story 1+2 also have this terribad formatting means it's just them being lazy.

Llyranor said:
Is Cars that bad? I keep hearing bad things about it, but with the sequel coming out, I'm wondering whether I should give it a view.

The thing about Cars is that it is a great movie except for when it's compared with Pixar's other movies. The whole Nascar thing is a little odd too as that narrows it's appeal.

moop2000 said:
The thing about Cars is that it is a great movie except for when it's compared with Pixar's other movies. The whole Nascar thing is a little odd too as that narrows it's appeal.

this , you can probably call it the "worst pixar movie" or whatever depending on your opinions but it's definitely not a bad movie.

isny

napkin dispenser
DoomXploder7 said:
this , you can probably call it the "worst pixar movie" or whatever depending on your opinions but it's definitely not a bad movie.

Again, as I mentioned above, watching it with Cine-Explorer on and listening to everything John has to say about making the movie, you really do get a much better feel of it that way. It doesn't make it much more enjoyable for me, but I understand why the movie was made and why it's popular, and definitely got more out of it this way. (As opposed to some other commentaries or making of features that are just a waste of time)

markatisu

BertramCooper said:
But it's probably Pixar's weakest film. Well, perhaps second weakest. I've never been a fan of A Bug's Life.

I love CARS, you are right though the weakest film is A Bugs Life. That put me to sleep, while I have watched CARS more than any other Pixar movie outside of TS3 and Incredibles

CARS might get a bad rep from movie fans but is by far the greatest merchandising success Pixar has ever had, even more so then Toy Story.

ghostmind

I would hold off on buying any of these reissues unless you aren't at all interested in 3D. Disney already announced they are releasing Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Chicken Little, Bolt and Meet the Robinsons as 3D/2D combo editions in 2011. Unless they scrap their 3D push, I would expect to see Up 3D and The Toy Story trilogy 3D at a minimum, with possible conversions for the rest.

isny

napkin dispenser
ghostmind said:
I would hold off on buying any of these reissues unless you aren't at all interested in 3D. Disney already announced they are releasing Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Chicken Little, Bolt and Meet the Robinsons as 3D/2D combo editions in 2011. Unless they scrap their 3D push, I would expect to see Up 3D and The Toy Story trilogy 3D at a minimum, with possible conversions for the rest.

I'm looking forward to Meet the Robinsons, Nightmare, Lion King, and Toy Story 3 in 3D. Bolt and Chicken Little...not so much. (Even B&TB isn't a very exciting prospect in 3D, although I'll probably end up selling off the previous release and double dipping anyways)

Who knows though when we'll actually get any of this. Hopefully The Incredibles has an insert of a preview with some solid dates for future releases.

devildog820 said:
They remastered beauty and the beast in 3d and released it theatrically last year. The non special edition
This is not true. It was remastered in 3D, yes, but it was never theatrically released. They were meaning to do it last year, but they decided not to, and are just releasing in to Blu-Ray this fall with Lion King. (Not sure if they'll still be getting theatrical releases or not. I'd assume so but I haven't heard anything about it since they delayed t from last year)

Also, I kinda like... kinda don't like the new format for the Pixar Blu-Rays. I'm glad that going forward they'll all match, but the Monster's Inc, Up, and Bug's Life sets I already own will now not fit with any of the others. Ugh.

isny said:
It would make sense if they only did this with re-issued Blu-Rays, but the fact that The Incredibles and Toy Story 1+2 also have this terribad formatting means it's just them being lazy.
I also don't like how they put the phonetic pronunciation of Ratatouille on the box. It's been four years. Everyone should know how to say it by now.

StuBurns

Banned
BertramCooper said:
I also don't like how they put the phonetic pronunciation of Ratatouille on the box. It's been four years. Everyone should know how to say it by now.
I think that's just meant to be charming. Synecdoche, New York is my favorite film and it does it too, although I think that actually is to inform.

Got my coupons ready for both Cars and The Incredibles tomorrow.

Of all the Pixar movies I've seen in the theaters, Cars is still the weakest movie for me. To this day, I love A Bug's Life and have seen it a few times since first watching it while Cars was basically once and have had no motivation to see it again. Granted, I'll probably watch Cars 2 anyways.

Will the Pixar re-releases mean sale prices? I haven't picked up Ratatouille or Wall-E on Blu-Ray yet, and I'll wait if that's the case.

devenger

DoomXploder7 said:

I agree, although, I know it's an old joke, I liked Doc Hollywood when it came out also.

The NASCAR thing wears me out, not enough Keaton, too much Cable Guy. It's not bad, its just nowhere near my favorite.

Shouldn't be in this thread though. I don't have a BluRay player. All of the Pixar stuff on my new TV looks incredible, I guess not as incredible as it could.

isny

napkin dispenser
mightynine said:
Will the Pixar re-releases mean sale prices? I haven't picked up Ratatouille or Wall-E on Blu-Ray yet, and I'll wait if that's the case.

The only one I'd expect to get an $8.00 coupon would be Ratatouille. Toy Story 3, Wall-E, and Up have all been released in combo packs before. (Albeit with a digital copy as well)

Ya never know though.

fludevil said:
Shouldn't be in this thread though. I don't have a BluRay player. All of the Pixar stuff on my new TV looks incredible, I guess not as incredible as it could.

I'll tell you what, some of the newer TV's they demo at FS and BB that have Pixar stuff playing on it look terrible. They make the CG look like a video game and less like a movie. I'm not sure if it's some sort of filter they have on to make everything look crappy, but I've been unimpressed.

zychi

Banned
Got my incredibles br a day early and I'm watching it now. The lion king preview looks amazing. Damn Disney for not having it out yet. Incredibles looks fantastic so far

isny

napkin dispenser
zychi said:
Got my incredibles br a day early and I'm watching it now. The lion king preview looks amazing. Damn Disney for not having it out yet. Incredibles looks fantastic so far

Any date given for Lion King?

Dammit, got my copy of Pinocchio today from Amazon and there was no slip cover. I'm tempted to send it back. This is the last BD I needed and can't have it fuck up the shelf flow. Am I crazy?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Infinitemadness said:
Dammit, got my copy of Pinocchio today from Amazon and there was no slip cover. I'm tempted to send it back. This is the last BD I needed and can't have it fuck up the shelf flow. Am I crazy?

I've gotten into the habit of just tossing slip covers. More shelf space and the UPC holes doesn't tear up the plastic when i put it on and remove it.

I seriously can't wait to receive The Incredibles on Blu-ray tomorrow. Feels like I've been waiting forever for this movie to arrive in HD.

The scenes on the island are going to look spectacular, especially the whole bit with Dash running on water. Gorgeous.

DrForester said:
I've gotten into the habit of just tossing slip covers. More shelf space and the UPC holes doesn't tear up the plastic when i put it on and remove it.

Are you going to get Ponyo? Send me the slip cover. I would even consider paying for it.

Christopher

Infinitemadness said:

Amazon only ships slips on the first run/batch you're not going to get a slip on a 2 year title.

isny

napkin dispenser
Christopher said:
Amazon only ships slips on the first run/batch you're not going to get a slip on a 2 year title.

I've seen a few locally with slipcovers still, but the stores charge a premium for these. $30+

Just got back from picking up my copy of The Incredibles =D (It's going to be a drought for Disney films now for awhile after getting used to bunched up releases)

m8hhn4.jpg

Top Bottom