• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

MrMan2k3 said:
For those of you who missed the deals and need to catch up on a few of the Disney Blu-rays, I saw this post on SlickDeals that claims that there will be some good prices at Target next week (4/17 - 4/23).

$17.99 each
Tangled - ($5 coupon still available here with code "hair", so you can get it for $12.99) (My guess is it's the 2-disc combo)
Toy Story 3 - (Not sure if it's 4-disc combo or 2-disc Blu-ray)
Bambi
Beauty and the Beast
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Also some good deals on Dreamworks and other movies.
niiiice, might pick up tangled for $13

MrMan2k3 said:
For those of you who missed the deals and need to catch up on a few of the Disney Blu-rays, I saw this post on SlickDeals that claims that there will be some good prices at Target next week (4/17 - 4/23).

$17.99 each
Tangled - ($5 coupon still available here with code "hair", so you can get it for $12.99) (My guess is it's the 2-disc combo)
Toy Story 3 - (Not sure if it's 4-disc combo or 2-disc Blu-ray)
Bambi
Beauty and the Beast
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

There are also some good deals on Dreamworks and other movies, so see the link if you're interested.
Awesome - thanks for the heads-up.

I've got all of the Disney ones, but I'll definitely bite on How to Train Your Dragon at that price.

see5harp

Screw those slipcovers and screw those early cases with the dumb latch. I actually prefer the more solid clear cases used by PS3 games and Criterion Collection.

MrEnglishPanda said:
I went to Best Buy to pick up both The Incredibles and Cars because with the deal they're running (buy both get $10 off) and the Disney coupons, it's actually cheaper to buy both. Unfortunately, they only got about 2 or 3 copies of Cars and were sold out when I got there. Fortunately, they were able to order a copy of Cars and have it delivered to my house for free while I picked up The Incredibles and still got all of the same deals. So if you go in and they don't have a copy, just ask and they might help you out.

Grumble . . . my local Best Buy didn't want to honor both the $10 off if you buy both AND the 2 coupons. I'm going to try another Best Buy. I already have Cars Blu-Ray but I'd like an extra copy to use as a birthday gift for the next Birthday party my daughter goes to. (Or use the movie ticket and give away the used copy.)

FOOTE

see5harp said:
Screw those slipcovers and screw those early cases with the dumb latch. I actually prefer the more solid clear cases used by PS3 games and Criterion Collection.
I agree with both points. I dislike the slipcases because there is a very good chance you wont receive one for a movie that originally shipped with it. And the sea of blue cases on my shelf is annoying now. That's why i really like mu Hulk Blu-Ray, it's mofoin' GREEN!

Princess Skittles said:
Well, if you want to make pennies on the dollar, go for it.

Fantasia may be the only one that will gain any value given that it JUST CAME OUT, but still.. it's doubtful.

Cool, my friend who owns a record store does well reselling stuff that's out of print, I just thought I may join in.

I picked up a few, and figured if they don't go up in price I've got my little sister's birthday and xmas gifts lined up for the next year.

Dead

well not really...yet
So I did end up getting Cars along with The Incredibles.

Yeah, besides the Hick-mobile character, it was actually pretty charming and amusing. I'd say its better than A Bugs Life.

Oozer3993

The “Buy 3 Disney Blu-Rays Get $20 Off” deal from Amazon was too enticing for my weak will. I bit for the three heading for the vault on the 30th. And I'll probably end up getting Beauty and the Beast during the Target sale next week. My wallet hates me, but Disney probably loves me.

isny

napkin dispenser
Oozer3993 said:
The “Buy 3 Disney Blu-Rays Get $20 Off” deal from Amazon was too enticing for my weak will. I bit for the three heading for the vault on the 30th. And I'll probably end up getting Beauty and the Beast during the Target sale next week. My wallet hates me, but Disney probably loves me.

I'd hold off until the 3D re-release.

isny

napkin dispenser
firehawk12 said:
How does this vault thing work? They actually stop selling them for a few years?

In the past, classic titles like Fantasia and Pinocchio received VHS releases, and then DVD/Blu Ray releases 10 years later. So we more than likely won't see them pop up again for 5-10 years, probably on a new format by then.

And it all depends on how Disney does it's digital distribution as well. As of now, most Disney Blu Rays will allow you to unlock it online so you can stream it free of charge at any time.

firehawk12 said:
How does this vault thing work? They actually stop selling them for a few years?
Exactly. They've been doing it ever since they started to release VHS. Hell even before the advent of home video they would re-release their movies in theaters from time to time.

Jomjom

Banned
I'm missing A Bug's Life, Ponyo, and Fantasia. Anyone know of any good deals on any of those 3? I especially need a deal on Fantasia since it's going back into the evil Disney Vault.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oof, now I kind of feel bad for now buying some of the older Disney Blu-rays.

At least the coupons are making some of the recent purchases a bit more palatable.

Good thing I checked out this thread... Got Fantasia from Amazon along with Tangled and Bambi in that Buy 3 deal.

Gonna try and keep up with all the Disney releases this time around and so far I have all their stuff except for A Bug's Life and Alice In Wonderland (animated version). Never bought any of their stuff on DVD because I knew Blu-ray was coming.

icarus-daedelus said:
Yes. The Lion King on DVD is so far out of print that it isn't even available on Netflix, unbelievably, so they're guaranteed high sales of it this fall even outside of people upgrading to blu-ray for image quality reasons.
The Lion King Blu-ray/DVD sales numbers are going to be insane.

SUPREME1

Banned
polyh3dron said:
Good thing I checked out this thread... Got Fantasia from Amazon along with Tangled and Bambi in that Buy 3 deal.

Gonna try and keep up with all the Disney releases this time around and so far I have all their stuff except for A Bug's Life and Alice In Wonderland (animated version). Never bought any of their stuff on DVD because I knew Blu-ray was coming.

My wife convinced me to watch this in bed with her a few days ago. I was asleep within 20 minutes. I was already a little sleepy from toking some good cheeba earlier in the day and our comfortable ass bed didn't help.

It's got 7.1 sound. So I'll have to check it out in the living room to see if the effort was worth it. I'm assuming it was originally in mono, which was the case with Pinnochio and Sleeping Beauty Blu-rays.

That's actually one of the biggest reasons why I'm so impressed with Disney's Blu-ray offerings. The image quality is amazing, but they also actually give a shit about sound. If I'm paying $30+ for a Blu-ray, I'd love for it to take advantage of all teh tech advances made over the last few years.

isny

napkin dispenser
SUPREME1 said:
I'm assuming it was originally in mono

It's not. It was originally in a brand new sound format that was never again used.

"The soundtrack was recorded using a multi-channel sound process called Fantasound, making Fantasia the first commercial film released in stereo. The resulting film was run in a theatre that was equipped with multiple speakers. Behind the screen were three two-way speakers of the type normally used in theatres. Around the walls and the edge of the balcony were (depending upon available resources) anywhere between 30 and 80 smaller individual speakers which were used in a similar manner to the surround speakers found in theaters today. Depending on the installation, they were either grouped into two groups - left and right, or four groups - back left, mid left, back right and mid right. This was equivalent to a modern 5.1 or 7.1 set up, respectively."

johnsmith

remember me
Just got back from Toys R Us. Got both Cars and the incredibles on bluray for $14.98 + tax. $17.02 for BOTH. Stacked a bunch of deals together, buy 1 br get 1 40% off, $10 off for buying both, and then printed coupons off disneymovierewards.com. You can also get 2 free movie tickets. Insane deal and everything rang up automatically, totally painless and smooth.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2845033

JdFoX187

Banned
johnsmith said:
Just got back from Toys R Us. Got both Cars and the incredibles on bluray for $14.98 + tax. $17.02 for BOTH. Stacked a bunch of deals together, buy 1 br get 1 40% off, $10 off for buying both, and then printed coupons off disneymovierewards.com. You can also get 2 free movie tickets. Insane deal and everything rang up automatically, totally painless and smooth.

Fuck, wasn't going to bother with either of those, but how long is this deal for? I might seriously jump on that if it runs through Sunday.

johnsmith said:

Yeah, I might have to jump on this one, even though I'm not crazy about Cars.

It's good until tomorrow? Is that correct?

smurfx

get some go again
johnsmith said:

just went and got them both. no problems on my end. they only had one copy of incredibles left though.

BertramCooper said:
Yeah, I might have to jump on this one, even though I'm not crazy about Cars.

It's good until tomorrow? Is that correct?
the sign said friday and saturday.

johnsmith

remember me
The deal is only good Friday and Saturday. Also the blurays might be hard to find. My store had those paper things you take to the register like the video games. I didn't see any actual blurays out on display.

smurfx

get some go again
good thing i checked out this thread again. don't really have any interest in cars or the incredibles but its nice to have them in my collection. i'm happiest about getting a good deal for how to train your dragon and tangled. absolutely loved those two movies.

Linkified

Right I know this is primarily a US thread bit does anyone know of a good Uk online shop to get Pinocchi from at a cheap price.

isny said:
I'll tell you what, some of the newer TV's they demo at FS and BB that have Pixar stuff playing on it look terrible. They make the CG look like a video game and less like a movie. I'm not sure if it's some sort of filter they have on to make everything look crappy, but I've been unimpressed.
That's because the idiots working there have the TVs set to 120hz, which makes EVERYTHING look AWFUL. Pixar movies look absolutely fantastic on Blu-Ray playing on a normal HDTV. In Monster's Inc you can actually pause the movie and read the fine print on all the posters, flyers, newspapers, etc. It's amazing.

Cels

picked up Incredibles and Pinocchio for $25 at BB ($35 deal for buying 2, then $10 DMR coupon)

Incredibles looks pretty awesome on my tv.

WillyFive

I have never been impressed by HD at all.

Not for HDTV.

Not for HD games.

Not for movies. Not for anything. It was pretty pointless.

Until I saw the trailer for The Lion King on the Tangled Blu-Ray.

Incredible. I could see every pencil stroke, and the colors were so perfect!

Mistle

Willy105 said:

Not for HDTV.

Not for HD games.

Hearing this makes me so pumped for The Lion King... gosh if the Blu-ray really does look that great I'll definitely have to pick it up.

ymmv

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
I decided that I don't have enough money to waste to justify a purchase of Snow White for completionism's sake alone, so I just picked up Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 before that hits the vault.

The Nutcracker Suite is like mindblowing in HD and is definitely the finest of the 'abstract' sequences in Fantasia. Snowflake animation this good in 1940, crazy!

Watch the video about the Herman Schultheis notebook in the bonus section of the Fantasia disc. Crazy stuff.

Which Disney blu-rays have the best special/bonus features that were NOT on DVD editions?

It's that I've watched some of these films so many times that I'm finding it hard to justify buying them again for an HD upgrade, but I'm a sucker for well-produced and meaty making of documentaries (and Cine-Explore/roundtable features). So if the blu-ray has substantial new stuff in that regard, I'll take a look.

isny

napkin dispenser
Naked Snake said:
Which Disney blu-rays have the best special/bonus features that were NOT on DVD editions?

It's that I've watched some of these films so many times that I'm finding it hard to justify buying them again for an HD upgrade, but I'm a sucker for well-produced and meaty making of documentaries (and Cine-Explore/roundtable features). So if the blu-ray has substantial new stuff in that regard, I'll take a look.

I think the Disney/Dali feature on Fantasia is new to the Blu Ray and is almost two hours long.

Also, as I mentioned before, the CineExplorer on Cars is very well done.

see5harp

Willy105 said:

Not for HDTV.

Not for HD games.

What?

RetroEd

Linkified said:
Right I know this is primarily a US thread bit does anyone know of a good Uk online shop to get Pinocchi from at a cheap price.
£17.85 @ The Hut

I ordered mine a few days ago and it turned up today. 2 x Blu-ray and 1 x DVD.

Willy105 said:
For something that was supposed to be a big leap, it didn't seem that big a difference. It just managed to make SD video look worse on the TV.

Don't be an idiot.
Is this real life? Watch Avatar in HD and TELL me you don't see a difference between the SD version

WillyFive

TacticalFox88 said:
Is this real life? Watch Avatar in HD and TELL me you don't see a difference between the SD version

I haven't watched Avatar in HD yet, but in general it didn't seem that big a difference with other movies like Despicable Me.

Top Bottom