• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

I don't know about this hand drawn crap you guys are talking about, I watched Beauty and the Best on Blu-Ray like 3 nights ago and it looks AMAZING my wife even commented how great it looked.

MicH

I hate you and all your Disney offers :( Where I live there are almost never any offers for the Disney movies. I just now ordered the Beaty and the Beast Blu-Ray for a whopping 279 kroner (~53 USD). God damn. Looking forward to the Lion King Blu ray! My favorite Disney movie of all time :D

Rich!

Willy105 said:
Ha, that sucks! But no, I do have it set up correctly. HDMI and everything (those cables are ridiculously expensive). But it's just not as big a difference as I expected.

I'm not sure what country you're in, but:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NJUKDK/

£3.50. Same price as a sandwich and a drink at the local tesco. And speaking of Tesco, they sell HDMI cables for the same price in their supermarkets.

isny

napkin dispenser
Figured I'd give an updated photo of my collection as it's grown a lot since the last time I posted one =D

I'm missing Ponyo as I don't really care much about that title, Nightmare Before Christmas as I'm waiting on the 3D Blu Ray, and anything else like Enchanted, Maters Tales, etc. I'm missing as I don't feel they're worth the price.

24np9bp.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Christopher said:
It's going to take a while the DVD just came out a couple of years ago...I believe it's still able to be purchased so you gotta wait!

But I want my delicious songs and spots in HD :(

WillyFive

That's great Isny, especially how you still have the sleeves.

demosthenes said:
I don't understand how people familiar with the internet can still think this.

Well, I'm sorry I am not part of the club.

polyh3dron said:
must.. not.. tag.. quote

Then don't. There is no reason to quote it, except for yourself.

Zefah said:
You can't be real.
Run your computer in 640x480 resolution through an SD TV and tell me HD resolutions are pointless.

Don't you mean run in 640 x 480 on an HDTV? Because 480 on an SDTV would be really close to the same resolution.

Christopher

I purchsed the 3D Blu Ray releases now...I demoed a 3D TV yesterday and was blown away usually they only add depth, but this LG TV really looked 3D. While it's not going to be an everytime I watch thing, watching movies would look amazing on it.

jkanownik

Fortinbras said:
The difference in picture quality isn't enough for me to upgrade my whole Disney DVD collection to Blu-Ray.

I really don't like the sharp HD visuals of the older hand drawn Disney classics. Don't know why.

Pixar movies are a different story.

I used to think this way, but then all the recent deals made me reconsider. The biggest factor was imagining the impact of my future kids on DVDs. Now I have a Blu-Ray copy that should stay pristine and a DVD copy I don't have to worry about. The picture quality improvement is just an added bonus. Donating my old DVDs to Goodwill today.

y2dvd

FlightOfHeaven said:
The Incredibles is... amazing! The scene with the jet and the missiles almost always gets a tear out of me.

Yep, that scene got me good too. I love the chase scene with Dash. Nice camera works giving the sense of speed.

Joe Molotov

I got Vault Anxiety. :(

b1tWm.jpg

Fantasia was $35 and Pinocchio & Snow White were 2 for $35 at BB, then I found a used copy of Sleeping Beauty for $19.99 at Hastings. Also bought Incredibles and Alice in the 2 for $35 deal, just cuz.

Ugh, I never liked that the old hag Queen is given center stage on the Snow White Blu-ray cover...

I've slowly, but surely, been building my collection. Still need Alice, Tangled, and Incredibles though.

Oozer3993

I got hit with a double whammy on the Pinocchio Blu-ray that just arrived from Amazon. Not only is it missing the slipcover (making it the only Disney Blu-ray I have that's missing one) , it has the missing audio glitch.

I was looking on Amazon and they have the Ratatouille combo pack coming out in July. Will there be a coupon for that?

Leeness

Huh... I was looking through my stash today and my bluray Up has apparently gone missing. :(

Unfortunate. And I don't have the money to re-buy it again right now. Bah.

Still needing, in general, for my collection:

Nausicaa BR
Monsters Inc BR
Bugs Life BR
Up BR

kr2t0s

are some of you looking for slip covers?

Not sure if i have all of them, but I really don't care for them - would rather them go to a good home type of thing.

Not 100% sure how to ship and keep it from being crushed though. Need to think about it. Just throwing it out there

Nemesis_

kr2t0s said:

Not sure if i have all of them, but I really don't care for them - would rather them go to a good home type of thing.

Not 100% sure how to ship and keep it from being crushed though. Need to think about it. Just throwing it out there

I would love them! >_> I don't mind if they're flattened, because then I can just make them remember how they weren't flat by putting them on Blu-ray cases. If that makes any sense at all.

Ugh, I never liked that the old hag Queen is given center stage on the Snow White Blu-ray cover...

For our local release, Snow White is front and centre. =D

kr2t0s said:

If you have Ponyo, I would build a shrine in your honor.

Oozer3993

kr2t0s said:

I'd be happy to take the cover for Pinocchio off your hands of you have it. You could flatten them and stick them in a bubble mailer.

smurfx

get some go again
isny said:
Why does everyone think HTTYD is Disney? I think you're the second or third person to mention this here, lol
i bought it at target since it was on sale along with tangled and toy story 3 today. never said it was disney. :p

MicH

I just ordered the following:

Snow White
Pinocchio
Dumbo
Alice in Wonderland
Bambi
Tron: Legacy
UP
Toy Story 1-3 box set
Beaty and the Beast

All on Blu Ray. Unfortunately, I seem to have missed Sleeping Beauty. I'm gonna go search in some retail stores tomorrow, but I'm not keeping my hopes high :( Also, I'm very sad that Basil the Mouse Detective is only on DVD :( I absolutely love that movie and I want it on Blu Ray.

I might go for Fantasia, but where I live, the comboset is not available. So I have to buy both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 seperately. Kind of sucks. Oh well, I'll probably bite when they're about to get vaulted :p

isny

napkin dispenser
MicH said:
I just ordered the following:

Snow White
Pinocchio
Dumbo
Alice in Wonderland
Bambi
Tron: Legacy
UP
Toy Story 1-3 box set
Beaty and the Beast

All on Blu Ray. Unfortunately, I seem to have missed Sleeping Beauty. I'm gonna go search in some retail stores tomorrow, but I'm not keeping my hopes high :( Also, I'm very sad that Basil the Mouse Detective is only on DVD :( I absolutely love that movie and I want it on Blu Ray.

I might go for Fantasia, but where I live, the comboset is not available. So I have to buy both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 seperately. Kind of sucks. Oh well, I'll probably bite when they're about to get vaulted :p

We really need to keep a running list of where to get some of these vaulted titles. Luckily, we have people like me to continue to help people like you who don't want to read through pages and pages in this thread to find out where the titles can be purchased, lol

Sleeping Beauty Newegg.com $29.99

If they don't ship to you, I'm sure you can find a Gaffer willing to ship you a copy and a copy of the Fantasia combo. Which country are you in?

MicH

I'm in Denmark, and therefore would like to get the titles in Danish :p That's why it's so hard to find any of the vaulted copies. Thank you so much for the help, though :)

The way I always found hard to find titles was just google "buy _____". They put up a list of every store that sells it and how much. NewEgg is almost always at the top as well as a few others.

Actually, I just looked it up and it's Google Products. Check it out. They always display online stores that have it in stock and stores closest to you that may have it.

Borman

Just picked up Cars and Incredibles for 35, then Pinocchio and Snow White for 35 as well, but thats my second copy of SW so Ill just hold onto it until it goes into the vault for a while :)

ghostmind

515HXtWz55L.jpg

(Two-Disc Diamond Edition Blu-ray / DVD Combo in Blu-ray Packaging)
$30 at Amazon (no coupons yet)

51ZYX35xW9L.jpg

(Four-Disc Diamond Edition Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy)
$29 at Amazon after $8 coupon

51739ksSaGL.jpg

(Eight-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy)
Lion King 3D/2D, Lion King 1.5 2D, Lion King 2 2D
$67 at Amazon after $8 coupon

61H-Xutd6tL.jpg

(Five Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy)
$27 at Amazon after $8 coupon

isny

napkin dispenser
ghostmind said:
(Two-Disc Diamond Edition Blu-ray / DVD Combo in Blu-ray Packaging)
$30 at Amazon (no coupons yet)

(Four-Disc Diamond Edition Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy)
$29 at Amazon after $8 coupon

(Eight-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy)
Lion King 3D/2D, Lion King 1.5 2D, Lion King 2 2D
$67 at Amazon after $8 coupon

(Five Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy)
$27 at Amazon after $8 coupon

Thanks ghostmind. Links can be found below.

The Lion King Two Disc Blu Ray Combo $29.99

The Lion King Four Disc Blu Ray + 3D Combo $36.99 + $8.00 coupon
The Lion King Eight Disc Blu Ray + 3D Combo $74.99 + $8.00 coupon
Beauty and the Beast Five Disc Blu Ray + 3D Combo $34.99 + $8.00 coupon

Link to the coupon page directly.

What are the chances Lion King 1.5 and 2 will get separate releases?

God dammit.

My desire to have a Digital Copy is going to make me buy the 3D set and I really don't want it. Same goes for Beauty and the Beast, which I even already own on Blu-Ray.

Well, at least us Blu-Ray collectors will have very robust collections. All 3 Lion King movies on Blu-Ray. Both Fox & the Hound movies on Blu-Ray. Honestly I'm shocked they didn't do a Beauty and the Beast set like the Lion King one with the other two(?) movies included.

Bastards.

isny

napkin dispenser
WordAssassin said:
What are the chances Lion King 1.5 and 2 will get separate releases?

God dammit.

My desire to have a Digital Copy is going to make me buy the 3D set and I really don't want it. Same goes for Beauty and the Beast, which I even already own on Blu-Ray.

Well, at least us Blu-Ray collectors will have very robust collections. All 3 Lion King movies on Blu-Ray. Both Fox & the Hound movies on Blu-Ray. Honestly I'm shocked they didn't do a Beauty and the Beast set like the Lion King one with the other two(?) movies included.

Bastards.

I think the 3D release of Beauty will be before the other two BR's are released, leaving room for a mega set when the Direct to DVD ones are released on BR later in the year.

Who knows if we'll receive the other two Lion King movies on BR separately. Disney seems to be really random on these releases, releasing Bambi/Bambi 2 together and not separate in the UK, but separate here in North America, but releasing The Fox and the Hound together only and not separate.

In any case, $66.99 for the eight disc seems like a pretty good deal, and I'm sure if another coupon is released I can get Amazon to add it for me, bringing to cost down to $58.99 or less.

isny

napkin dispenser
Gouty said:
I had no idea there were other Lion King movies. I bet they're amazing.

1.5 is good. The second one though was pretty terrible. Going to be putting my 1.5 DVD up on ebay tonight and hope it sells =D

isny

napkin dispenser
FOOTE said:
I'm having a hard time deciding which release I want. For now I have the trilogy ordered.

I just preordered both, and even Beauty, even though I'm more than likely going to skip on Beauty and pick up the eight disc Lion King. That's the great thing about Amazon, order first, think/cancel later. (As you never know how soon the coupons will go away)

The Broken Ska Record said:
I didn't want to get the 8-disc set, but the completionist whore in me wants all three Lion King movies. URGH.

This. I don't really want it either, but since I'm trading up from my DVD set of 1.5 anyways, that will help a little in my decision.

madara

Gouty said:
I had no idea there were other Lion King movies. I bet they're amazing.

Nah, typical direct to dvd greed. I think there is only one out of all that crap I could tolerate back then.

isny said:
This. I don't really want it either, but since I'm trading up from my DVD set of 1.5 anyways, that will help a little in my decision.
The thing that's keeping me from picking it up is I don't particularly like the packaging for the complete set. I would much rather have a plain old Blu-ray case.

isny

napkin dispenser
The Broken Ska Record said:
The thing that's keeping me from picking it up is I don't particularly like the packaging for the complete set. I would much rather have a plain old Blu-ray case.

That's true. It would definitely be straying from the uniformity of my current Disney Blu Ray collection. I'm hoping that the discs will be in BR cases in that box. The box also looks to be a tad big for just eight discs, so going out on a limb, my ideal vision of this set would be the three movies in separate BR cases, and an extra pack in item, be it a book, figure, etc.

That way, we're getting more value out of the SKU, we're getting the consistent packaging, and the box can just be put away =)

Hopefully we'll hear more over the next few months and can make an informed decision =D

Ovid

isny said:
We really need to keep a running list of where to get some of these vaulted titles. Luckily, we have people like me to continue to help people like you who don't want to read through pages and pages in this thread to find out where the titles can be purchased, lol

Sleeping Beauty Newegg.com $29.99

If they don't ship to you, I'm sure you can find a Gaffer willing to ship you a copy and a copy of the Fantasia combo. Which country are you in?
Thank you for that link. I always wanted to get Sleeping Beauty and didn't realize it would be so hard to find.

I want that big Lion King set. Even though it's my favorite Disney movie (tied with Aladdin of course) I'll probably wait awhile for a better deal. I have a hard time spending over $50 on these sets when they go down in price somewhere so quickly.

VGChampion said:
I want that big Lion King set. Even though it's my favorite Disney movie (tied with Aladdin of course) I'll probably wait awhile for a better deal. I have a hard time spending over $50 on these sets when they go down in price somewhere so quickly.

Have they gone down in price though? Isn't the toy story one still expensive?

VGChampion said:
Have you seen the other two sequels before? They really aren't worth the extra cost. 1 1/2 is cute but forgettable and 2 fucking sucks. The direct to DVD sequels era was probablly the most creatively bankrupt period in the studio's history. I'm glad that practice has pretty much stopped.

ghostmind

I'm torn on which version of the Lion King to get, so I'm going to preorder them both, because apparently the coupon is only available until April 30th.

MicH

That Lion King box set is very tempting. I think I'm gonna stick with the normal Blue-ray set though. Can't wait, it has been so long since I've seen Lion King!

ghostmind said:
I'm torn on which version of the Lion King to get, so I'm going to preorder them both, because apparently the coupon is only available until April 30th.
considering there's no coupon for the regular edition, the 3D version actually costs less. unless you were considering the 8-disc monster pack?

and with Amazon pre-orders, your card isn't charged until it's shipped. if you see a coupon or better deal emerge later, you can cancel your current pre-order and take advantage of the new deal.

Top Bottom