• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Oozer3993

Naked Snake said:
Which Disney blu-rays have the best special/bonus features that were NOT on DVD editions?

It's that I've watched some of these films so many times that I'm finding it hard to justify buying them again for an HD upgrade, but I'm a sucker for well-produced and meaty making of documentaries (and Cine-Explore/roundtable features). So if the blu-ray has substantial new stuff in that regard, I'll take a look.

Sleeping Beauty has a boatload of stuff. Some of it was on earlier DVD releases, but almost everything is presented in HD.

Disc One:

Short Film: 'Grand Canyon' (HD, 29 minutes)
Cine-Explore Mode (HD)
Trivia Track
Disney Song Selection
Music Video: Emily Osment - "Once Upon a Dream"
Previews - Included are full HD spots for 'Wall•E,' 'Pinocchio: 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition,' 'Tinker Bell,' 'Space Buddies,' 'Bolt,' 'The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian' and 'The Princess and the Frog.'

Disc Two:

"Picture Perfect: The Making of Sleeping Beauty" (HD, 44 minutes)
Featurettes (HD, 31 minutes):

"Eyvind Earle: The Man and His Art"
"Four Artists Paint One Tree" (16 minutes)
"Sequence 8" (6 minutes)

"The Peter Tchaikovsky Story" TV Episode (HD)
Deleted Scenes (HD)
Disney Walkthrough Attraction (HD) (Includes the recreation of the attraction, commentary, and a making-of mini-documentary.)
Still Galleries (HD)
Storyboard Sequences (HD)
Interactive Games (HD)
Theatrical Trailers (SD)
Featurette: "The Sound of Beauty: Restoring a Classic" (HD, 12 minutes)
Dragon Encounter (HD, 5 minutes)

That's the only one I've really gotten a chance to dig into yet. I still haven't gotten a chance to rummage through the extras on my copies of Snow White or Fantasia, and Amazon still hasn't shipped out my copy of Pinocchio. And pretty much every Pixar film comes stuffed to the brim with extras. The only Disney movie I have on Blu-ray that doesn't have a lot of bonus features is Tangled, which is disappointing. I would have loved an in-depth making-of documentary.

_dementia said:
Still no release date for Lion King?

Nothing official, but the rumor is October 4th.

Oozer3993 said:
Sleeping Beauty has a boatload of stuff. Some of it was on earlier DVD releases, but almost everything is presented in HD.

I have Sleepy Beauty on BD (and loved the features), I also have Pinocchio and Wall-E.

isny said:
I think the Disney/Dali feature on Fantasia is new to the Blu Ray and is almost two hours long.

Also, as I mentioned before, the CineExplorer on Cars is very well done.

I abhor Cars. Fantasia I'm very interested in picking up, never seen Fantasia 2000.

zychi

Banned
Willy105 said:
I have never been impressed by HD at all.

Not for HDTV.

Not for HD games.

Not for movies. Not for anything. It was pretty pointless.

Until I saw the trailer for The Lion King on the Tangled Blu-Ray.

Incredible. I could see every pencil stroke, and the colors were so perfect!
You realize you need either an hdmi cable or component cables in order to see hd right?
This has got to be the reason you're saying this. Right?
You just have it hooked up incorrectly.

Go play Dead Rising 1 on a sdtv versus a hdtv and tell me hd isn't better.
Go watch ANY sports game on a sdtv for 2 minutes and go watch it in hd(Especially hockey).
Go watch any Pixar film on dvd and throw in the blu ray 5 mins later.

You're eyes must be realllly messed up.

Gameboy415

So Alice in Wonderland is not being vaulted on April 30th, correct?

I think I stupidly misinterpreted the OP a while back and thought I had to track down Fantasia and Alice by the end of the month.

Looks like I might just grab Fantasia and the 2 3D combo packs I don't have yet (Tangled and the live-action Alice) from Amazon.

Willy105 said:
Not for HDTV.
Not for HD games.

I, too, need laser eye surgery. I do make it a point of putting on my glasses when watching a movie.

isny

napkin dispenser
Bambi has dropped to $12.99. If you don't have it yet, you're crazy!

edit: nm, $19.99 now, was $12.99 earlier!

John_B

I watched Beauty and the Beast on Blu-ray yesterday, and while the video encoding is very good, the animation quality is pretty mediocre.

Very distinctive black outlining on the characters and low frame animation made it look like it was produced for network broadcasting. And there were some moments of very bad character proportion. The backdrops did look great though.

Did Disney rush Beauty and the Beast?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
zychi said:
You realize you need either an hdmi cable or component cables in order to see hd right?
This has got to be the reason you're saying this. Right?
You just have it hooked up incorrectly.

Go play Dead Rising 1 on a sdtv versus a hdtv and tell me hd isn't better.
Go watch ANY sports game on a sdtv for 2 minutes and go watch it in hd(Especially hockey).
Go watch any Pixar film on dvd and throw in the blu ray 5 mins later.

You're eyes must be realllly messed up.

It reminds me of my cousin. He bought a new tv and bluray player and started renting blurays. I asked him about if his investment was it worth it and yadda yadda he says he doesn't really see the difference. I go over and take a look at his setup and blam he has his freaking bluray player plugged in through composite. I need to go order him an hdmi cable asap.

WillyFive

Pinocchio is still one of the best looking films ever made.

AwesomeSauce said:
It reminds me of my cousin. He bought a new tv and bluray player and started renting blurays. I asked him about if his investment was it worth it and yadda yadda he says he doesn't really see the difference. I go over and take a look at his setup and blam he has his freaking bluray player plugged in through composite. I need to go order him an hdmi cable asap.

Ha, that sucks! But no, I do have it set up correctly. HDMI and everything (those cables are ridiculously expensive). But it's just not as big a difference as I expected.

AwesomeSauce said:
This just made me cry inside. You're friend should be enternally grateful after what you did.

isny

napkin dispenser
Willy105 said:
Ha, that sucks! But no, I do have it set up correctly. HDMI and everything (those cables are ridiculously expensive). But it's just not as big a difference as I expected.

I feel bad for people like you who buy those cables at retail. Monoprice has them for $2-$3 and they're the same quality =(

JdFoX187

Banned
Though I'm not really a Pixar fan, I broke down and bought The Incredibles and Cars. Have to say, I haven't seen either film. Ended up getting them both on blu ray for $25 from Amazon after all the promotional codes and some credit I have saved. Not too bad I guess.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Willy105 said:

Not for HDTV.

Not for HD games.

You can't be real.

Run your computer in 640x480 resolution through an SD TV and tell me HD resolutions are pointless.

Picked up Bambi on Amazon yesterday for the 12.99!! Also purchased Alice with it. Now to get Fantasia before it's vaulted and begin my Pixar collection.

Willy105 said:
must.. not.. tag.. quote

Fei

Just letting you guys know that the Pinocchio Blu Ray is on sale for $18 this week at Target. I just happen to notice it when I went to get my daughter Tangled. Those on the fence before this gets vaulted might want to jump on that.

Is Disney ever going to release their non-animated films on Blu-Ray?

I.E. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Swiss Family Robinson, Pete's Dragon, etc?

There's a whole generation of kids that don't know most of these films even exist. Hell I'm surprised the Swiss Family tree even still exists at the parks.

JdFoX187

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
Is Disney ever going to release their non-animated films on Blu-Ray?

I.E. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Swiss Family Robinson, Pete's Dragon, etc?

There's a whole generation of kids that don't know most of these films even exist. Hell I'm surprised the Swiss Family tree even still exists at the parks.
At one point, they were moving forward with a David Fincher-lead remake of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and I would put money on the blu ray being released for the original around that time. They just did release TRON earlier this month.

I imagine we'll see them trickle out slowly. It took them a while to get a lot of those movies out on DVD too.

Not a blu question but is there a documentary on the making of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea? I read an article awhile back that they made one but I never found anything on it.

Willy105 said:

I don't understand how people familiar with the internet can still think this.

CJUNDERGROUND said:
Anyone think we'll see the lesser classics on Blu? I would like Black Cauldron, Atlantis and Treasure Planet eventually.
Probably once Blu-ray becomes the standard disc medium, but not until then.

And they'll be no-frills releases, like the current DVDs are.

_Isaac

Willy105 said:

I guess I kinda understand. Live action HD video is especially underwhelming. I think animated movies really benefit from it the most. I have the Ponyo DVD and Blu-Ray combo pack. I played both the DVD and bluray at the same time and switched between the two to see how different it was. I even showed my sister. She was just like "O....kay." I guess it was somewhat better. It wasn't a colossal improvement though. Most of my family doesn't even notice a difference either. I catch them watching SD versions of TV channels even though we have HD versions. That always grinds my gears. My dad is the one that does notice. He watches football, and while it does look better, it still is very disappointing. Especially, after hearing how great sports look. I guess Mexican soccer doesn't get as much care. As far as gaming goes, OMG YES it is 50000 times better. I can actually read words!

John_B

icarus-daedelus said:
It was on a two-year production schedule, starting primarily in '89, so yeah, it was a little rushed, and they were still getting used to the CAPS inking and painting software and the integration of CG and such. I think the mid-to-late 90s films done with the same equipment and somewhat similar production schedules (?) look better simply because the animators had gotten used to that type of filmmaking by that time. (I want to say it was Jeffrey Katzenberg who was the primary motivator of the strict one-per-year release schedule, but I'm not 100% sure.) Yeah, and I'd say it's still the best looking animated film ever made. It has this most beautiful hand-painted quality to its visuals that is nearly unrivaled, except possibly by a few other early Disney films.
I popped in the old DVD release and the image is much softer in comparison. The outlining is stronger and the colors have been altered for the Blu-ray edition. It gives an effect that objects and characters appear to stick out more from the backgrounds.

Everything else Disney released on Blu-ray looks ace though. I hope The Lion King doesn't get the same color "enhancements" as Beauty and the Beast.

Pop in a Pixar movie on DVD and Blu-Ray and tell me you don't see a difference.

Hand drawn, I can understand not being impressed. I disagree, but I get it. Live action looks gross in HD. I don't want to see everyone's pores and bad make-up and wrinkles.

But CG films, from Toy Story to Ice Age to HTTYD to Tangled, look fucking phenomenal. Pixar animators have even gone on record saying that Blu-Ray is as close as we'll get to seeing the movies as they do when they're actually working on them. The level of detail you can see in CGI films on Blu-Ray is just insane.

In fact, put in the Monster's Inc Blu-Ray and watch some of the SD special features, and then watch the actual movie. It's astonishing what a huge difference there is. (And I'm actually kinda pissed that they didn't convert the SD special features into HD, come on guys)

The difference in picture quality isn't enough for me to upgrade my whole Disney DVD collection to Blu-Ray.

I really don't like the sharp HD visuals of the older hand drawn Disney classics. Don't know why.

Pixar movies are a different story.

isny

napkin dispenser
_dementia said:
Are those even out on Blu in Japan?

Laputa is, the other two have only seen DVD releases.

I actually mentioned a few pages back how I pre-ordered Laputa on Blu from Amazon.co.uk, as it's only very recently been released on DVD, so I'd rather not wait another year or two for a Blu release.

Top Bottom