• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

ghostmind

Dreams-Visions said:
considering there's no coupon for the regular edition, the 3D version actually costs less. unless you were considering the 8-disc monster pack?

and with Amazon pre-orders, your card isn't charged until it's shipped. if you see a coupon or better deal emerge later, you can cancel your current pre-order and take advantage of the new deal.

Or ask the CSR to stack them. Lots of potential opportunities for price reductions before release.

And yeah, I'm considering the box set. While I was not a fan of Disney's direct-to-video sequel era, the Lion King 2 was well done.

ghostmind said:
Or ask the CSR to stack them. Lots of potential opportunities for price reductions before release.

And yeah, I'm considering the box set. While I was not a fan of Disney's direct-to-video sequel era, the Lion King 2 was well done.
interesting. I haven't see 1/2 or 2. I tended to stay away from direct-to-home releases. always afraid they'd mess up my good memories of the originals.

Jomjom

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
interesting. I haven't see 1/2 or 2. I tended to stay away from direct-to-home releases. always afraid they'd mess up my good memories of the originals.

They will taint your memories of the original, stay away from 1/2 and 2.

Leeness

I ran through a purchase of the bluray Lion King with the coupon. With ~import taxes~ and shipping, it's still $40 anyway. :(

When it comes to buying blurays for cheap, damn you Canada.

I'll just wait for the Super Tuesday purchase. :(

lion king 2 wasnt that bad. i watched it a few times when i was little and i really liked it, though the original is still leagues ahead.

never saw 1.5 though, i understood that was mostly about timon and pumba?

definitely gonna get the 8 disc diamond edition!

Jomjom

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
Probs Return of Jafar. Relatively decent sequel to Aladdin, and I know a friend who actually prefers it because of the lack of Robin Williams. lulz.

But yeah, the Lion King boxset looks nice but it's not really worth it when the main extra thing you're getting is two unnecessary sequels.

I'll second that, Return of Jafar was actually half decent. Not because it lacked Robin Williams though. I thought he did an amazing job in the original Aladdin, especially considering the fact that he knew he was going to be making next to nothing on that movie because of his contract.

effingvic said:
lion king 2 wasnt that bad. i watched it a few times when i was little and i really liked it, though the original is still leagues ahead.

never saw 1.5 though, i understood that was mostly about timon and pumba?

definitely gonna get the 8 disc diamond edition!
Yeah, 1.5 is pretty much Lion King told from Timon and Pumba's point of view. Like I said it's cute but not worth the extra expense.

Honestly, I don't know why some of you are even considering getting the sequels to this, Aladdin, or Beauty and the Beast. None of those movies were made with sequels in mind so all the sequels just end up retconning the original film or play as inconsequential side stories. They are also cheaply done and don't come close to matching the original film's quality.

Obviously you are free to spend your money anyway you want just don't go into the sequels expecting the same level of entertainment or quality as the original films.

Anth0ny

8 disc version looks amazing, but it's probably going to be ridiculously expensive in Canada. And I'm not sure how I feel about paying money for a 3D version of the film... eww.

I know this in no way dampens my desire to own these movies. I just watched Hercules, too. It's been YEARS. It was only 360p, so I can't WAIT to own these movies on BR.

I know that when I get a job again, I'll be preordering every quality Disney movie.

Jomjom

Banned
Blahhh still can't find a deal on Fantasia in stores (have to get it in stores because that's the only way I can ensure I will get a slipcover). Guess I'll just have to suck it up and pay nearly 40 dollars for it.

jling84 said:
Blahhh still can't find a deal on Fantasia in stores (have to get it in stores because that's the only way I can ensure I will get a slipcover). Guess I'll just have to suck it up and pay nearly 40 dollars for it.
Most stores have it for $34.99 so look at it this way: after tax, you're getting two combo packs (Fantasia and Fantasia 2000) for about $18 each. That's about $8-10 less than the normal Blu-Ray + DVD packs retail for, so you're set.

Is there a release date on Lion King yet? I'm assuming sometime in the fall? (Nevermind.. saw 10/4/11)

Ahh! I don't know whether to preorder just the first movie or get the trilogy. I never saw the sequels, but heard 1 1/2 is much better than the second one.

Joe Molotov

Big Papa Husker said:
Ahh! I don't know whether to preorder just the first movie or get the trilogy. I never saw the sequels, but heard 1 1/2 is much better than the second one.

Lion King 1 1/2 is probably the best of the Disney DTV sequels, but that's not really saying much.

Poona

RetroEd said:
No, it didn't.

Bummer.. oh well. I've gone with using one of the sellers on Amazon uk marketplace. Really want the slipcase and can't go with US copies as Pinocchio isn't region free.

brianmcdoogle said:
I just noticed I don't have a slipcase for Tangled on blu-ray. Does it not have one?

Yes, it does (well the US one did originally). Can see a video of the regular and 3D versions here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mpIqfh66Mw

Anth0ny

Shit Snow White and Pinocchio going into the vault?

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit better pick em up. Anyone know the cheapest place to pick it up for a Canadian?

MicH

Just watched Snow White. Such an amazing film, especially considering it came out more than 70 years ago. It has been so many years since I last saw it, so I nostalgia'd so much watching it. I can't wait to watch the other classics.

Also, do you guys prefer to watch them in the DisneyView-thing or the original 4:3 format? I tried the DisneyView and thought it was OK. A bit distracting at times, but alright. I think I'll try 4:3 next time.

FOOTE

I watch with the Disney view. I don't like the black bars on the side, those distract me a lot more then disney view does.

MicH said:
Just watched Snow White. Such an amazing film, especially considering it came out more than 70 years ago. It has been so many years since I last saw it, so I nostalgia'd so much watching it. I can't wait to watch the other classics.

Also, do you guys prefer to watch them in the DisneyView-thing or the original 4:3 format? I tried the DisneyView and thought it was OK. A bit distracting at times, but alright. I think I'll try 4:3 next time.

I really like the watercolour bars. If the camera is not panning around they mix really good with the film, like if they were some foreground object.

Also the extras of Snowhite are incredible. The visit around the Hyperion studio is unbelivable, best extras since all the extras in the dvd of the Incredibles.

BTW does someone now if the Bluray of the incredibles have the same awesome extras as the dvd or even more? something new?

JdFoX187

Banned
Broke down and preordered the Lion King trilogy off Amazon. $66 for three movies isn't too bad, and I'm sure the price will drop another few dollars by the time it comes around.

Also snagged Cars and The Incredibles. Outside of those two, the Toy Story trilogy and Up, are there any other Pixar movies on blu ray I should look into? I'm not a fan of Finding Nemo and I'm still looking for Wall-E.

MicH

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Also the extras of Snowhite are incredible. The visit around the Hyperion studio is unbelivable, best extras since all the extras in the dvd of the Incredibles.
I have yet to watch that, but I did watch the "documentary" of the deleted scenes/story for a possible sequel. Very, very cool. I can't wait to watch the stuff on disc 2.

Ended up with pre-ordering Lion King 4-disc edition, don't really care for the other movies.

I'm still on the fence about double-dipping for Beauty & the Beast, but I have 3 more days to think about it at least.

Jomjom

Banned
Awesome news about Dumbo! Glad I held off on buying the Mexican version now.

It was doubly awesome that Amazon had Fantasia on BD for 27.99. Purchased before the vault closes tomorrow!

Joe Molotov said:
I got Vault Anxiety. :(

b1tWm.jpg

Fantasia was $35 and Pinocchio & Snow White were 2 for $35 at BB, then I found a used copy of Sleeping Beauty for $19.99 at Hastings. Also bought Incredibles and Alice in the 2 for $35 deal, just cuz.

Didn't hear about that. Is the sale still going on? I'll go to BB tomorrow if so.

dearapollo said:
Besides Ebay, does anyone know a place online where I can find Sleeping Beauty with the slip cover new?
Avoid eBay when buying Disney films. It's full of counterfeits.

I'd check the Amazon Marketplace.

Ovid

BertramCooper said:
Also, Snow White, Pinocchio and Fantasia are back in the vault, starting today.

Pick them up now while you still can.
Thanks for the heads up. Will pick Pinocchio later this week.

FOOTE

tarius1210 said:
Bought it this week on NewEgg for $29.99. Kinda expensive but you can't find it anywhere and NewEgg has been good to me in the past.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168786936746228&cm_re=sleeping_beauty-_-786936746228-_-Product
I would say that $30 is a good price for it right now, but I don't think there is any guarantee that you will be able to also snag a slip cover from any retailer at this point. Not that it's impossible, I just don't think it's likely. There are places on the internet where people sell their covers so various prices because they don't want them, so your best bet is probably to buy from a retailer and see if it comes with one, then seek out a cover on the the internet afterward if it doesn't come with one.

Ovid

FOOTE said:
I would say that $30 is a good price for it right now, but I don't think there is any guarantee that you will be able to also snag a slip cover from any retailer at this point. Not that it's impossible, I just don't think it's likely. There are places on the internet where people sell their covers so various prices because they don't want them, so your best bet is probably to buy from a retailer and see if it comes with one, then seek out a cover on the the internet afterward if it doesn't come with one.
Mine came with the slipcover :)

Top Bottom